I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200S > "K12S/KR" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12S/KR" Technical Q&A K1200S/R Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 09-10-2017, 12:19 AM
Shooting the gap

Getting ready to scrounge for parts

Good evening lads

I have been perusing for a while, on and off at fuel pumps and the manual for my bike. In the thread listed at the end, the fuel pump conked out again. I will replace it but this particular question is a new one that i want to ask.

I have read the service manual and i know how to take the pump out and remove the fuel tank. That isn't hard, except be to be cautious around the quick disconnect. Last time i had it off the quick disconnect cracked and i leaked fuel big time. Had to replace it on the side of the highway under a bridge. Apart from that, the matter of replacing the whole unit is what makes me curious. I had the recall done(or the bike had it taken care of before i was the owner i should say) for the fuel pump and flange that was cracked. It holds fuel tight and i know it ain't leaking, obviously.

Here is the question.

When i buy parts(this is new to me, i've bought parts for my old truck and my papa's old Jeep but not a bike before so i am a little nervous and i don't want to make a habit of buying repair parts) what exactly should i replace? Yeah, dumb question but should i replace the whole kit and kabudle? Or just the part i am 99% sure is busted? I.E the fuel pump specifically and only that?
In the links below, they are of a few things. This is where i get confused and why i am asking questions. I feel i should spend the quick buck on the fuel pump itself in the third link and if that fixes it, then good. I want to fix this issue once and for all. I don't want to do it half assed. I don't want to waste money on something that it isn't. Now, i when i turn the key over, the fuel pump doesn't prime. No harm in spending $70 bucks. I spent that on VHS and Guitar strings today(shoulda remembered the fuel pump firstly)

What has me curious as well is the credibility of an aftermarket maker. I see in the third link that there is a warranty and i am a skeptical buyer of something i place my life in. I am not wanting to pay stealership prices, arm and a leg and a hand because i need those to ride. I feel kinda like Joe Dirt asking Brandy out when i ask questions here but i gotta do it.

Anywho guys, i am a little glad the bike was out of service this past month because it was a little tricksey with fuel in South Texas for a few weeks and still some places are only pumping out cheap fuel. I cannot put 87 in the BMW. No way.

I do appreciate very much the input and will be much obliged. As a favor, perhaps i can share pictures with the forum as it has been very helpful. I have been wanting to. It is a small gesture but that is what i got.

Gentlemen, have a good evening and ride safe.

My previous thread:
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=61379

MaxBMW diagram and Fuel Pump assembly:
http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...=16147 720776

Aftermarket fuel pump itself:
http://www.fuelpumpfactory.com/CNT-f...nt-942-b16.htm
Old 09-11-2017, 07:06 AM
A skeptic and a pragmatist.

Re: Getting ready to scrounge for parts

Interesting the aftermarket.I didn't think the K1200R had a turbine fuel pump like that.

There may be some fitment involved?Aftetmarket doesn't have the brackets to mount?

But what all that means is if you can install as per their claim just about any universal fuel pump from an autoparts store should mount in place of the OEM.

I did thay on my K1200RS.Used the Bosch 69222 pump.Not "Made in China" and rather cheap.Some fitments involved but happily buzzing away in my tank for over 40k now.

However....I read your thread on that before.Did you test the fuel pump controller?As in bypass it to verify that the pump itself is defective and not the cranky controller?
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
85 BMW K100RS at 28 (Very nice and sorely missed)
90 BMW R100GS at 34 (Too slow, too cranky)
2003 K1200 RS at 53 (Oh Yeah......over 6000RPM)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'pbegin@burton' for this post:
Old 09-11-2017, 02:58 PM
Moderator -Tainting The i-BMW Gene Pool
Thanked 2,803 Times in 1,276 Posts

How long ago did you have the fuel pump replaced for the recall? My thinking is if the pump is bad, it should be covered by BMW parts warranty. When I had mine replaced for the cracked quick disconnect, BMW replaced the entire assembly, which included the fuel pump.

It may be worth hitting up the dealer who did the replacement work for you and see if they might side with you for a new replacement, if it's not still under warranty. Just a thought.
2010 KTM 530 EXC Champion Edition a.k.a. "Brutus"

- FZ

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident" -
Arthur Schopenhauer

"Vulgarity is the crutch of an illiterate mutherfucker" - Chris Andries
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'McFly' for this post:
Old 09-12-2017, 07:09 AM
A skeptic and a pragmatist.

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php

Controller?Link to a cheaper one on that thread.And some how-to on pump vs controller diagnostics.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
85 BMW K100RS at 28 (Very nice and sorely missed)
90 BMW R100GS at 34 (Too slow, too cranky)
2003 K1200 RS at 53 (Oh Yeah......over 6000RPM)
Old 09-12-2017, 10:19 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFly
How long ago did you have the fuel pump replaced for the recall? My thinking is if the pump is bad, it should be covered by BMW parts warranty. When I had mine replaced for the cracked quick disconnect, BMW replaced the entire assembly, which included the fuel pump.

It may be worth hitting up the dealer who did the replacement work for you and see if they might side with you for a new replacement, if it's not still under warranty. Just a thought.

When i first owned the bike in 2015 with 12.9k miles on it, it already had the recall performed. Later in 2015 that fuel pump and fuel harness, fuel delivery rail went bad and was fixed in 2016. New harness, new rail but a second hand pump from a R1200 as i was told my my mechanic they were compatible. It was a cheaper solution to an already expensive bill. Instead of paying 1300 hunnert bucks i only paid 800 because the dealer didn't charge me for a new pump. I did not order one, as the second hand worked fine....for 16,000 miles in a year.

Perhaps i should go to the dealer and ask them but i want to get it fixed on my own. I don't want to be going there, i just have never believed in having someone else work on my vehicles. This bike is a huge learning curve and maybe one i shouldn't undertake but one has to start somewhere.