I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Welcome to i-bmw! > Intro Yourself to I-BMW.com
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Intro Yourself to I-BMW.com Take a moment to introduce yourself and post a pic of you and your bike (optional)!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 09-14-2017, 09:35 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Mechanic Mid-Atlantic US

Hello K Bike people. Steve from Maryland here; I live near Cal Ripken's home town of Aberdeen. I have owned my 07 K12GT since the fall of 2013. It's been fun.
My bike has been stalling during rides when the engine returns to idle, such as waiting for a traffic signal, waiting to make a turn, etc. It does not stall while under throttle.
I've searched threads on this site regarding stalling K12's. I also took to the nearest BMW dealership for diagnosis. The dealership said a bad O2 sensor was causing stalling. After about $450 of diagnosis, purchase of a BMW O2 sensor and install.... it is still stalling. The dealership will take it back to continue to diagnose, and also wants an additional minimum hourly shop diagnosis charge. BS
After reading some more of your threads, I disconnected the charcoal canister, plugged the vacuum solenoid. Bike now idles more smoothly than it ever has since I owned it.
But.... it still stalls. Frustrating to say the least.
I like the sophistication of the BMW mc. And I like the BMW culture. But I don't have time to try to be a shade tree BMW technician. I want to ride. I don't want to stall/attempt to repair/waste money paying a BMW dealer for erroneous diagnosis.
My question is,... Does anyone know of a trustworthy mechanic, non-BMW dealership, in the mid-Atlantic US area who is nice, trustworthy, knowledgeable, and willing to help fix my bike without charging continuous hourly fees ?
Thanks in advance !
Old 09-14-2017, 09:41 PM
Getting up to speed

Re: Mechanic Mid-Atlantic US

he's pretty far away from you ( Manassas Va.) but you could call George with Beemer Uber Alles. he's usually willing to at least hear you out on the phone and may have some ideas. haven't really dealt with anybody up your way but might be worth a try.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:48 PM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,816 Times in 2,085 Posts

Steve, plenty of them around, just need to find one. Try search box on the top right of every page. Also lots of threads in tech sections under your bike.

In the meantime, try this thread.

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?...ndent+mechanic

When I had my BMW autos, I had an independent mechanic for the same reasons.

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 09-15-2017, 08:35 AM
Shooting the gap

Steve, who did you use? Bob's? Mortons?

2014 K1600GT
2006 K1200GT (sold)
2011 HD Street Glide (sold)
2009 HD Fatboy (sold)
1989 K100RS (sold)
1986 Suzuki GSXR-750 (sold)
1980 Suzuki GS750G (sold)
Old 09-15-2017, 08:08 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtSilverado
Hello K Bike people. Steve from Maryland here; I live near Cal Ripken's home town of Aberdeen. I have owned my 07 K12GT since the fall of 2013. It's been fun.
My bike has been stalling during rides when the engine returns to idle, such as waiting for a traffic signal, waiting to make a turn, etc. It does not stall while under throttle.
I've searched threads on this site regarding stalling K12's. I also took to the nearest BMW dealership for diagnosis. The dealership said a bad O2 sensor was causing stalling. After about $450 of diagnosis, purchase of a BMW O2 sensor and install.... it is still stalling. The dealership will take it back to continue to diagnose, and also wants an additional minimum hourly shop diagnosis charge. BS
After reading some more of your threads, I disconnected the charcoal canister, plugged the vacuum solenoid. Bike now idles more smoothly than it ever has since I owned it.
But.... it still stalls. Frustrating to say the least.
I like the sophistication of the BMW mc. And I like the BMW culture. But I don't have time to try to be a shade tree BMW technician. I want to ride. I don't want to stall/attempt to repair/waste money paying a BMW dealer for erroneous diagnosis.
My question is,... Does anyone know of a trustworthy mechanic, non-BMW dealership, in the mid-Atlantic US area who is nice, trustworthy, knowledgeable, and willing to help fix my bike without charging continuous hourly fees ?
Thanks in advance !
Try Tom Cutter

http://www.rubberchickenracinggarage.com
Old 09-17-2017, 07:38 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Thank you. I will look into your suggestions ! I sincerely appreciate it !
Old 09-17-2017, 07:39 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonK100RS
Steve, who did you use? Bob's? Mortons?

I used Bob's
Old 09-17-2017, 08:59 PM
Fuse lit...
Thanked 1,057 Times in 409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtSilverado
I also took to the nearest BMW dealership for diagnosis. The dealership said a bad O2 sensor was causing stalling. After about $450 of diagnosis, purchase of a BMW O2 sensor and install.... it is still stalling. The dealership will take it back to continue to diagnose, and also wants an additional minimum hourly shop diagnosis charge. BS

I've have a lot of work done at Bob's and in my experience they'll bend over backward to make it fair and right - but maybe not at the first line folks. If you decide to try Bob's again, call Bob and ask to speak to him when you take it back in. Explain that they've rung you up for the work so far without fixing your problem, and I'd be surprised if they charged you anything else to get to the bottom of your problem - other than for the fix itself.

I will say that this dealership, like many places I do business, is much more helpful if you approach them with the attitude that they're not the enemy. Not saying you did that but just sayin'... They've got a lot of work backed up and like for their techs and their shop to be profitable. They are in business to make money off of your problems (among other things) and when I have a problem I'm damn glad they're there to fix it. Bob's has made a number of repairs for me outside of warranty because it was the right thing to do. I treat them like my partner in insuring the enjoyment of my bike and that's the way they treat me as well.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:09 AM
Shooting the gap

Bob's ain't cheap BUT they are knowledgeable and they are customer oriented.
Went in for the first oil change and service on a Saturday (first come, first served), I showed up at 0702 and was number 10 in line. They finally got to my bike at 1pm. In the mean time, one of the guys was going out for a lunch run and came up to us and asked us what we wanted for lunch, their treat. That's not a huge thing but it let me know that they care about the customer.
I'll do all my own service now until the valve adjustment but it was a positive interaction even though it was an all day event!

2014 K1600GT
2006 K1200GT (sold)
2011 HD Street Glide (sold)
2009 HD Fatboy (sold)
1989 K100RS (sold)
1986 Suzuki GSXR-750 (sold)
1980 Suzuki GS750G (sold)
Old 09-18-2017, 12:03 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Thanks again for the responses. I understand the information you are providing. I love customer service.