I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200S > "K12S/KR" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12S/KR" Technical Q&A K1200S/R Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 06-03-2018, 06:21 PM
Supporting Vendor
Thanked 2,058 Times in 795 Posts

I have a K1200S Problem: Need Advice

Hi guys.... Checking in needing some advice on my 2006 K1200S...

I've come up on a potential problem on this 12 year old bike...Figured I'd get some ideas here before it gets worse.

Had my bike on a charger all winter and up until my first ride this year about 2 weeks ago.. The first time I turned the key on... my dash panel was dead.. Nothing. I turned the key off.. Tried again and still nothing.. I tried one last time and the dash came on.. the bike started on the first crank. I chalked it up to the bike sitting for long inactive.

The second ride of the year, I suited up, turned the key, and it started instantly.. Today (my 3rd ride of the year), the bike started perfectly. I rode out about 60 miles on the BRPW, sat a while and contemplated the eternal truths, then turned the key to come home and nothing.. dead dash. The second time i turned the key I got partial dash and then it went dead. Third try was a charm.. all dash functions came on and the bike started instantly...

Obviously.. this has me worried as I just know at some point it's not gonna fire up and it'll be at the worst possible time in the worst possible place.

I'm thinking there are two possibilities.

1. My battery was purchased in Dec 2014. It's cranking just fine and I'm NOT getting any low battery messages on my dash. Every battery I ever had that went bad cranked slow when it was about to die. This one isn't which leads me to believe it's NOT the battery.

2. I seem to recall years back a lot of the K1200S guys had some issues with some sort of ignition ring or something. It might have even been a warranty recall issue When they went bad, the bikes wouldn't start and left many a rider stranded. I seem to recall that Tim Hudspeth mentioned a on-the-road fix for the problem. Many had them replaced. For those that remember that problem....does this sound like a "ring" gone bad?

Any sage advise or suggestions would be appreciated...

BTW.. My dealer is only a few minutes away, but I always like to walk through their service doors prepared...
Old 06-03-2018, 06:35 PM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,775 Times in 2,048 Posts

Re: I have a K1200S Problem: Need Advice

Sounds like an antenna ring issue to me Jerry, but then again, I’m a shitbum on this site who rides a GS and I don’t sleep at Holiday Inn’s on a weekly basis like all the important members herein, so take my advice for what it’s worth.

https://www.hexcode.co.za/techinfo/ews

And a recent thread on another forum...

https://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=2435.0

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'jargon' for this post:
Old 06-03-2018, 06:50 PM
Site Contributor

Its the ignition switch not making contact or poor contact.

And no, its not the ring antenna.
If there is a problem with the antenna you will get "EWS" on your display and the bike wont start.
A failed RingAntenna will still let you turn the key and the display will work.
You just can't start the bike.

As your bike turns the display on (after the third try) its definately a switch problem.

Be carefull riding though.... if the switch fails (looses contact) while riding the bike will turn off. (Just as if you turned the key).
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Patrique83' for this post:
Old 06-03-2018, 07:31 PM
Dirty Hooligan
Thanked 1,203 Times in 492 Posts

Good excuse to trade it in for a GS
06 KGT SOLD
01 KRS SOLD
99 KLT SOLD
2 Harley's moved on
3 Honda's moved on
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'BillGsa' for this post:
Old 06-03-2018, 07:46 PM
Supporting Vendor

OK... This sounds intriguing... but a question... I looked through my manual and on-line and I can NOT find a picture of this EWS light activated.. Where exactly on my panel will it show up? Will the actual letters "EWS" light up red? Because I'm NOT seeing that...

I currently have an ABS light and a Red Triangle lit up (which I have covered with electrical tape from a tip-over 8 months ago)..but no EWS. The dealer wants $850 labor to turn those off...hence the tape.

BTW.. When i took this shot a few minutes ago... when I turned the key on, the display was again dead. Had to turn it off and on twice to get the panel lit.. Guess I officially have a problem now..Geezz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrique83
Its the ignition switch not making contact or poor contact.

And no, its not the ring antenna.
If there is a problem with the antenna you will get "EWS" on your display and the bike wont start.
A failed RingAntenna will still let you turn the key and the display will work.
You just can't start the bike.

As your bike turns the display on (after the third try) its definately a switch problem.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:30 PM
Site Contributor

"EWS!" would be written in letters in the display if you have a faulty key/ringantenna. And i forgot to mention..... there would no "N" indication (or any other gear).

If you remove the plastic cover from the ignition barrel / ring antenna, you can bypass the ignition lock by inserting a piece of wire between pin 1 and pin 4.

Just make sure you are inserting the wire into the ignition lock cable, not the ring antenna cable.

The key needs to be inserted though..... otherwise you get EWS error.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:14 PM
Moderator -Tainting The i-BMW Gene Pool
Thanked 2,806 Times in 1,277 Posts

If it were me, I'd go the easy route first & get a new battery. I've had squirrelly things & faults going on even when I thought my old battery was good & it was still turning over the motor. Besides, it's fairly inexpensive & if it doesn't solve the problem, you've got a new battery that you'd need to get anyway at some point replacing a 4 year old battery. No harm, no foul.

My .02 for what it's worth... about .02!
2010 KTM 530 EXC Champion Edition a.k.a. "Brutus"

- FZ

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident" -
Arthur Schopenhauer

"Vulgarity is the crutch of an illiterate mutherfucker" - Chris Andries
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'McFly' for this post:
Old 06-03-2018, 10:47 PM
Supporting Vendor

It's beginning to sound like an ignition switch problem to me and I have ZERO idea what that will cost after the dealer throws in their $100+ dollars per hour labor to install it..

Spending another $100+ on a new battery may not be much to you.. but it kinda is for me unless I absolutely, positively need it. Most batteries I've purchased through the years lasted me at least 8 years or so..

That being said...I've also seen a few Kbikes with start issues that I would have bet a paycheck was the ring antenna issue that turned out to be a squirrely battery.

Guess I'll take the bike to the dealer and let him try to diagnose it.. Now I'm kinda worried that as Patrique83 said..."Be careful riding though.... if the switch fails (looses contact) while riding the bike will turn off. (Just as if you turned the key)." That kinda scares the shit out of me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFly
If it were me, I'd go the easy route first & get a new battery. I've had squirrelly things & faults going on even when I thought my old battery was good & it was still turning over the motor. Besides, it's fairly inexpensive & if it doesn't solve the problem, you've got a new battery that you'd need to get anyway at some point replacing a 4 year old battery. No harm, no foul.

My .02 for what it's worth... about .02!
Old 06-04-2018, 02:34 AM
Administrator
Thanked 5,413 Times in 3,137 Posts

Jerry:

It could be an ignition switch problem - from the ignition switch is bad to you have a bad connection - or some corrosion.

But saying it could be the ignition switch I also would start with the easy one - the battery - it does not matter if the battery is 1 month old - batteries can and do go bad.

Make sure you start with checking the connections - I was at the track a few weeks ago and my ABS was going on while going down the straightaway intermittently. Bike was running perfectly - I had hit a safety cone early in the day - a rider clipped one in front of me and tossed it right at me - I thought maybe my ABS ring had been damaged.

It looked perfect - long story short - my positive cable was not connected - the bolt completely backed out and the cable was just laying against the terminal - how the bike ran is beyond me. I had checked the battery connections only a week ago - at the track I'm always checking everything is tight.

My point start with the battery - second if the connections are good if you have a voltage meter check the voltage these bikes are so sensitive to a voltage drop it is not funny.

If you don't have one I'm sure someone close to you does - and you can check the battery.

Rule out the battery it is easy to do - yes you can do it - then check ignition switch.

I also agree it is not an antenna ring.

Good luck don't go to the dealer just yet - no need - you most certainly can check out a few things first to save yourself both time(the big one) and money.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
Old 06-04-2018, 03:26 AM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!
Thanked 1,826 Times in 1,101 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Flyboy

I'm going with a grounding or wiring issue....

Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2016
04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD
06 K1200R..SOLD..so long!

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Do it now NON NEONS . Thanks!
Old 06-04-2018, 04:11 AM
Entering the on-ramp

I had a similar problem last year. It was my battery. It had swollen up to the point it had wedged itself into the holder. Mines a 2008 k12s
Old 06-04-2018, 06:53 AM
Wookin' pa nub
Thanked 4,224 Times in 2,128 Posts

I think simply removing the battery and taking it to an auto parts store with a good tester would be a good move. It won't cost you anything and it gives you time to examine the connections.

Keyboard Hero!
A product of "unfortunate upbringing...”
Dolt, One of Five!

Find the official "non-official" 2018 Non-Invitational DGR Rally in Maggie Valley here!

Life is good!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'justjoe' for this post:
Old 06-04-2018, 08:34 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

I had a similar problem with a bike starting and not starting. I had a brand new battery and the terminals on the battery were oxidized enough to not allow current sometimes. Cleaning the terminals and cable ends with some sand paper at the side of the road solved the problem 1000 miles from home. Easy stuff first

Dusty
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Dusty952' for this post:
Old 06-04-2018, 09:00 AM
Shooting the gap

I had an ignition circuit problem on an earlier R1100rs, bike would cut on and off. Found that the wiring harness leading to the ignition switch had not been secured. The tie that should have secured the wire bundle had not been tightened when the bike was made. Over time the wire flexed at the connection to the switch and failed.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:11 AM
Moderator -Tainting The i-BMW Gene Pool
Thanked 2,806 Times in 1,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
It's beginning to sound like an ignition switch problem to me and I have ZERO idea what that will cost after the dealer throws in their $100+ dollars per hour labor to install it..

Spending another $100+ on a new battery may not be much to you.. but it kinda is for me unless I absolutely, positively need it. Most batteries I've purchased through the years lasted me at least 8 years or so..

That being said...I've also seen a few Kbikes with start issues that I would have bet a paycheck was the ring antenna issue that turned out to be a squirrely battery.

Guess I'll take the bike to the dealer and let him try to diagnose it.. Now I'm kinda worried that as Patrique83 said..."Be careful riding though.... if the switch fails (looses contact) while riding the bike will turn off. (Just as if you turned the key)." That kinda scares the shit out of me..
Sorry Jerry, didn't mean to imply that spending $100 for a battery is no big deal, $100 is $100... but it may be worth it when compared to a trip to the shop for a diagnosis only to find out you had a bad battery. I'm as guilty as the next guy for thinking the worst with situations like this, only to find out after I spent some decent coin it was something simple & I should've gone the simple route first. I can see a battery going bad over time but suddenly your ignition is acting up after storage?

As Joe said, most auto parts store or any Sears with an auto repair center, can test the battery & that won't cost you anything but your time.
2010 KTM 530 EXC Champion Edition a.k.a. "Brutus"

- FZ

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident" -
Arthur Schopenhauer

"Vulgarity is the crutch of an illiterate mutherfucker" - Chris Andries
Old 06-04-2018, 09:19 AM
The Other White Meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronston
I had an ignition circuit problem on an earlier R1100rs, bike would cut on and off. Found that the wiring harness leading to the ignition switch had not been secured. The tie that should have secured the wire bundle had not been tightened when the bike was made. Over time the wire flexed at the connection to the switch and failed.

To me, this seems to be the most plausible reason for the problems you're encountering. As for the battery life you seem to enjoy all I can say is that you get more bang for your buck than I do. The best I've been able to achieve is 3.5 to 4 years of battery life.

I recently bought a nifty Battery Tender voltage meter that plugs into their cable's end connection. You can use it with the power off the find out battery strength and I believe it'll show you the draw down at start up. Costs $15 +/-. Now I'll know what's going on with my batteries.....

https://www.grainger.com/product/19XM23?cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!264955916549 !!!g!439964433835!&ef_id=WvCdPwAAAMNPsxMJ:20180604131840:s

Good luck on getting this resolved!
'04 Ducati 1000DS SS
'05 Ducati ST3
'06 K1200S (bumblebee)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'spanky' for this post:
Old 06-04-2018, 09:20 AM
A.K.A. "Kumbustible-K"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
I'm going with a grounding or wiring issue....

Ditto, remove the battery connections and clean them then try it.

I would also blast some WD40 in to the switch then cycle it a bunch to see if that helps.

04 K12GT

Tiverton, RI
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'K-K' for this post:
Old 06-04-2018, 10:45 AM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 6,770 Times in 2,796 Posts

Jerry, from what you are describing it sounds as if the contacts in the key / locking mechanism are dirty, or corroded, or both. Spraying some electrical contact cleaner into the lock may temporarily clear it up until you can remove the lock assembly and give it a good cleaning. My guess is if you bring it to the dealer, the key will work perfectly for them, until you go to start the bike next time from home

This stuff for example, https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05103-Ele.../dp/B000BXOGNI
Old 06-05-2018, 10:11 PM
Wookin' pa nub

Any progress Jerry?

Keyboard Hero!
Dolt, One of Five!

Find the official "non-official" 2018 Non-Invitational DGR Rally in Maggie Valley here!

Life is good!
Old 06-06-2018, 12:57 AM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjoe
Any progress Jerry?

It's been less than 72hrs....he needs time...to get that new battery & try that first!!

As of JULY-2018,
'85K100RS,Original Owner,DOWN@*200,620*mi
'03K1200GT, 4th Owner,55,480mi. To replace the '85
'96R1100RS,3rd Owner,78,735mi.
'07 650 V-STROM, 2nd Owner, 38,125mi.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:19 PM
Supporting Vendor

Yes.. mystery solved....

Never one to ignore sage advice..

1. I checked all the wires that connect to the battery. No loose connections.
2. I took off all the wires and there was some oxidation so I sand-papered them.
3. While I had the wires off, I took the battery out and had it checked... It was perfect..
4. Put the battery back in.. turned the key... Blank screen.
5. As per CJS350, I went to Walmart and bought some electrical contact cleaner.. sprayed it deep and frequently for the last 36 hours... Turned the key this am... Blank screen. Turned it off an on a few times and got my screen back..

Rode to the dealer an hour ago... he was certain it's NOT the antennae ring.. and 100% certain it is my ignition switch. Patrique83 nailed it.

Cost to repair will be $128 for the switch and around $130 or so to install it... He says he sees it often on GS's.. Rarely on Kbikes. He said NOT to risk riding it because at some point it'll not come on at all and leave me stranded.. I have an appointment 2 weeks from today to get er done..

Thanks everyone for the advice. It was very helpful..as usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjoe
Any progress Jerry?
The following (12) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Pirate' for this post:
Old 06-06-2018, 01:02 PM
Wookin' pa nub

Glad it was resolved. Too bad it wasn't something simple and easier on the wallet, but all in all not a bad outcome.

Keyboard Hero!
Dolt, One of Five!

Life is good!
Old 06-06-2018, 02:35 PM
Site Contributor

"Geeez, does it feel good to be right and to be able to say: I told you so...."

Now lets talk about the price though?? 130 Dollars for the install?? Whaat????

Its like a 15-20 minute job.....
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Patrique83' for this post:
Old 06-06-2018, 10:50 PM
Shooting the gap

I was thinking the same, seems a lot for the install, is this not something you could do on your own ?

Old 06-07-2018, 04:47 PM
Shooting the gap

Replace it yourself...$130 is $130, right?
Old 06-07-2018, 05:12 PM
Supporting Vendor

The procedure is over my head.. it involves removing the triple clamp and everything beneath it. .. A special tool is involved somewhere along the way. I was told it's hard to get to by design. Sweet..

A man has to know his limitations... I certainly do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Replace it yourself...$130 is $130, right?
Old 06-26-2018, 08:47 PM
Supporting Vendor

Thought I'd follow up on the problem... It's been solved, but not by my dealer...

Even after I made my appointment to have the dealer install a new ignition switch I continued to spray CRC Electrical Cleaner into the key hole.. Every day... every time I walked by the bike. Dozens of times and every time I'd turn the key on and off a time or two. After another week or so the problem disappeared.. Gone with the wind. It's working perfectly now.. Total cost to resolve the problem... Under $8 and one trip to Walmart..

The following (6) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Pirate' for this post:
Old 06-27-2018, 02:30 AM
Twisted Wrister

That's good news.

I always reckon that WD40 and Gaffer tape can fix anything on a motorsickle
History:
Yamaha RD250 (x2)
Yamaha XS750
Kawasaki Z1000 (x3)
Honda Blackbird
Yamaha FJ1200 (x2)
BMW K1200S
Old 06-27-2018, 09:58 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Glad to see the problem is solved. Even though the battery was not the problem a load tester would be a great addition to any tool box and Northern Tool (yes I know) has a cheap unit that you can use before any long ride to make sure the battery is up to snuff. Would be good the check after any long winters nap also