I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Chit-Chat A GENERAL, BMW bike (or other) forum for off topic discussions that may not fit elsewhere

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 07-10-2018, 11:33 AM
Shooting the gap

CNH

Was just diagnosed with Chondrodermatitis nodularis chronica helicis (CNH). It's basically a very painful helix of either ear. It's caused by pressure on the ear. Sleeping on one side, too much cell phone, earphones, sun exposure, frostbite, or HELMETS, especially if they're tight. Good news is that it's not contagious and it's benign. Bad news is that it makes wearing a full face helmet VERY painful, and it makes it worse. Best treatment is just taking all pressure off the ear, giving it time to somewhat heal. After that there's surgery, but even after taking part of your ear off, there's up to a 30% chance of it reoccurring.

So, i'm taking a month off riding. :-( When I (hopefully) return, I plan to upsize my Shoei GT Air helmet from a L to XL. I hate to do that. Even though it fits really tight, after I get it on it's perfect. Not a lot of options. Skid helmet on a K1300S that ridden to it's limits isn't such a good idea, but at least i'd be riding, albeit slower.

Anybody else had to deal with CNH? What did you do?

Thanks
Old 07-10-2018, 11:36 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Re: CNH

Sorry to hear of this malady which, to me, was previously unknown. Ouch! Hopefully, time alone will cure this.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Hunter S. Thompson
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Tyson' for this post:
Old 07-11-2018, 11:20 AM
Shooting the gap

Encouraged that my ear is somewhat better already. Didn't ride this past Sunday, been sleeping on right side only, (difficult) and using my right ear for any cell phone talking. I spoke with the tech guys at Revzilla today. They're always helpful. They told me that I "could" go to a 31mm cheek pad vs the 35mm stock. Than could help some. I've removed the SENA speakers. Didn't use them anyway. I use custom molded Challenger earbuds. Opening up that space may help.

For now, just giving it time to heal. Riding in Houston in July, August, isn't much fun anyway. Too hot, too humid. BTW, i'd never heard of CNH either, but it's more common than you might think.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:52 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Good news . . . and affordable care! LOL
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Hunter S. Thompson
Old 07-12-2018, 09:13 AM
Thanked 1,433 Times in 809 Posts

Hey Bud. I’ve never heard of it but it seems like just another malady to interfere with our bike riding. Hope you can overcome it

2008 K1200R - B1.
2009 HP2 Sport. - B2
Old 07-12-2018, 05:19 PM
Twisted Wrister

Get one of them half helmet things the Hogley's use?? They are DOT approved!

As of SEPT-2018,
'85K100RS,Original Owner,DOWN@*200,620*mi
**Parked in the living room, waiting for possible restore**
'03K1200GT, 4th Owner,55,480mi. To replace the '85
**Miles Ridden since owned: 24,910
'96R1100RS,3rd Owner,80,310mi.
**Miles Ridden since owned: 49,510
'07 650 V-STROM, 2nd Owner, 38,125mi.
**Miles Ridden since owned: 10,350