I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200S > "K12S" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12S" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 05-27-2018, 09:12 AM
Supporting Vendor
Thanked 2,017 Times in 784 Posts

Re: Let there be LED light....

Wow.. you make it sound so easy... but I have no idea what you are saying..

I looked at the directions and yes they are crappy... but all they show is...1. take out the oem bulb..2. stick in the new.. 3. plug it in.. That's it... That's exactly what I did..

Please explain what you mean by.. "the light will come off the black socket." or better yet.. a picture with arrows point to the parts you are talking about that disassemble would be most helpful.. having a scantily clad lass with pouting firm breasts holding the parts would be even better.. (Geezz. hope that last one didn't sound too much like Morgan Freeman.)

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconcan
...the light will come off the black socket. ( counter clock wise ). Then put the socket in , but the wire holder down in place, then put the light back in the sickest. (Clock wise ). Plug it in and your good to go. Five minute job.!
Old 05-27-2018, 10:45 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Grab the base/fan housing in one hand, the black plastic H7 fitting in the other, rotate the base/fan counter clockwise. Th bulb should release from the fitting.

Install the fitting in the lighthousing and fasten it with metal clips.

Insert the bulb and rotate it clockwise and it should lock into place.

No need to bend things extremely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LED-1000.jpg (142.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 05-27-2018, 11:19 AM

Sorry, no firm breast's and the pic is stolen and altered....

But to cheer you up a little!!

PS, not my boobs, this pic is also stolen....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZmxMJoj8kh.jpg (11.7 KB, 26 views)
Old 05-27-2018, 11:26 AM
Supporting Vendor

How the fuck did you know that the housing separated? It's not in my instructions..

If I'd known this I could have installed the little bastard in 30 seconds..Believe me.. I'm gonna mention this to my rep at the company..WTF!?

Thanks for the tip.. Never in a million years would I have figured that out..

PS... Nice breasts..That'll do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias_K1300s
Grab the base/fan housing in one hand, the black plastic H7 fitting in the other, rotate the base/fan counter clockwise. Th bulb should release from the fitting.

Install the fitting in the lighthousing and fasten it with metal clips.

Insert the bulb and rotate it clockwise and it should lock into place.

No need to bend things extremely.
Old 05-27-2018, 04:31 PM

99% of all led conversions have that feature to enable them to be fitted.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:10 AM
Shooting the gap

I guess I got lucky.....I did not have to take the light apart, I put the whole thing in at once and put the wire clips on and was done, did all 3 bulbs in about 30 minutes or so, high beams are a bit more involved as it's harder to get ones hands and fingers in there, as it has very little room, but it was doable.....

Had I know about the separation of the plastic ring, it probably would have taken even less time, I should have asked my son, as he is the one who usually does the light installs for us and all his friends..

Old 05-29-2018, 12:55 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Just installed my low beam cyclops LED headlight and my LED parking light, color now matches spot on to my Denali micro LEDs no night time driving experience yet but from what I can tell in the garage is LED has a little more of a narrower beam path but a whole lot more intense beam. No LAMP ERROR yet, but I did buy the resister should I need it.
One tip to do before putting the bulb back on its holder is: make sure you tuck all wires and connectors into housing first, with the base of the bulb being quite large there's no room to snake it around afterwards, I had to disconnect the bulb from the base twice.
Jerry,
My bulb from cyclops came with explicit and detailed directions as to how to separate the base from the bulb. Sometimes it really does pay to pay more for something.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:15 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias_K1300s
Gatekeeper, could you park the bike on a level surface 5m from a smooth wall and take a picture with the low beam on?
Best done at night.
Would like to see the spread pattern and cutoff line these bulbs give.

As per your request, hope this helps

low beam

high beam

and low beam again

Old 05-29-2018, 05:34 PM

That looked really good actually. Followed your link to amazon but they did not ship to sweden.
Found some on ebay that look's identical, but hesitant to pull the trigger as there are so many copies of the copies and bad sh't out there. Would hate it if i bought a dud...
Old 06-06-2018, 11:55 AM
Getting up to speed

I installed the Amazon LED in my low beam lastnight. Install wasn't bad, would of been better with smaller hands! After about 5min with the engine running I get the LAMPF! error code. How are you guys getting away with this without the resistor?

I'm kind of hesitant to do the resistor fix, because how hot they get and no where to really mount it in the head light assembly.

I may return this set and get the Cyclops LEDS.

2006 BMW K1200S
2005 Ducati Monster S2R 800 - Sold
2007 Lifan Enduro 200cc - Sold
Hyosung Avitar GV650 - Sold
Old 06-06-2018, 12:31 PM
Supporting Vendor

There must be some variables in these LED lights. I've ridden with mine a few times now and it's working like a charm. But just to be safe, I ordered 12 bulbs last week from a source that sells on Amazon (same as Gatekeeper,) got them this week, and have already shipped most out into the field to see if they are as problem-free as mine.

I asked up front if they were CanBus compatible and they said yes.. BTW.. of all the LED bulbs I've looked at over the last 2 years... NONE required resistors..

Cautiously optimistic to get feedback...

BTW... Off the top of my head.. did you try unplugging it, flipping it over, and trying it the other way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFJ79
I installed the Amazon LED in my low beam lastnight. Install wasn't bad, would of been better with smaller hands! After about 5min with the engine running I get the LAMPF! error code. How are you guys getting away with this without the resistor?

I'm kind of hesitant to do the resistor fix, because how hot they get and no where to really mount it in the head light assembly.

I may return this set and get the Cyclops LEDS.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:45 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
There must be some variables in these LED lights. I've ridden with mine a few times now and it's working like a charm. But just to be safe, I ordered 12 bulbs last week from a source that sells on Amazon (same as Gatekeeper,) got them this week, and have already shipped most out into the field to see if they are as problem-free as mine.

I asked up front if they were CanBus compatible and they said yes.. BTW.. of all the LED bulbs I've looked at over the last 2 years... NONE required resistors..

Cautiously optimistic to get feedback...

BTW... Off the top of my head.. did you try unplugging it, flipping it over, and trying it the other way?

I got the LED's from the same amazon seller. I'll try unplugging, and plugging in on the other side. I'll try the other LED as well.

2006 BMW K1200S
Old 06-06-2018, 09:56 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
I got the LED's from the same amazon seller. I'll try unplugging, and plugging in on the other side. I'll try the other LED as well.

Looks like I'm SOL when it comes to these Amazon LEDs. i tried unplugging and flipping the connection and they dont turn on at all. Tried the other one and get the same LAMPF! code.

Pirate, it'll be interesting to see how they turn out for your test users. For the dirt cheap price i got these for I'll keep them and put them in something else. Maybe I'll try another amazon set.

What do you guys think about the heat from using a resistor? I'm worried about melting something in the light housing.

2006 BMW K1200S
Old 06-06-2018, 10:45 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Looks like I'm SOL when it comes to these Amazon LEDs. i tried unplugging and flipping the connection and they dont turn on at all. Tried the other one and get the same LAMPF! code.

Pirate, it'll be interesting to see how they turn out for your test users. For the dirt cheap price i got these for I'll keep them and put them in something else. Maybe I'll try another amazon set.

What do you guys think about the heat from using a resistor? I'm worried about melting something in the light housing.

I donít understand why you so far are the only one having an issue, I have all 3 bulbs replaced with the LED bulbs, and so far not so much as a hiccup with the way they work, no lampf error, low beam works, high beams can be toggled on off, even flashed.

Do you 3 of them, or 2, perhaps try just the high beam and se3 if you get the error, maybe you got a bad batch, let the seller know perhaps he can send you another set, or at least exchange the ones you have received from them.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:01 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateKeeper
I don’t understand why you so far are the only one having an issue, I have all 3 bulbs replaced with the LED bulbs, and so far not so much as a hiccup with the way they work, no lampf error, low beam works, high beams can be toggled on off, even flashed.

Do you 3 of them, or 2, perhaps try just the high beam and se3 if you get the error, maybe you got a bad batch, let the seller know perhaps he can send you another set, or at least exchange the ones you have received from them.

I emailed the seller to see what they can do.

Here's the set i got from amazon.

2006 BMW K1200S
Old 06-06-2018, 11:24 PM
Shooting the gap

Well the box looks the same, do the bulbs and packaging look like mine as well...

I do hope the seller can help out...

Old 06-07-2018, 11:55 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateKeeper
Well the box looks the same, do the bulbs and packaging look like mine as well...

I do hope the seller can help out...

\

The Amazon seller is going to send me another pair. We shall see...

2006 BMW K1200S
Old 06-07-2018, 02:50 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Just went for over a 200 mile ride, albeit during the day, no error code, all good
Cyclops gets my vote. Love there customer service. Yes a little more expensive, but I feel im getting a far superior product, time will tell.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:40 PM
Certified Hooligan

Well guys, I must say I went this route as well. Got it on the low beam on my K12s.
I also ordered the H11 for my Tundra. While installing these, one of them lost all of the small tabs retaining them in the socket (they are flimsy, but entirely my fault). E mailed the seller and the very next day he mailed me a whole new set. No Qs asked. Just FYI.
2011 DR650
Old 06-07-2018, 07:03 PM
Certified Hooligan

So here is an update on the H11 (truck)
The new "replacement" H11 that he sent me were black casing but he assured me were of the same components.
However, i find that they are 3 sided. There are 3 emitters in a triangular fashion as opposed to 2 back to back in a 180 degree fashion. So I changed both bulbs to the new ones. Just FYI.
3 emitters better than 2, lumens wise? IDK.
Is there a 3 sided one for the H7?
Jerry you may want to check into that as well with the supplier.
Here is the link to the 3 sided one.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077SHW3FH?th=1
2011 DR650
Old 06-07-2018, 08:54 PM
Supporting Vendor

That's interesting.. I have not seen any H7s that were 3 sided... I was under the impression that the way any H7 housing is designed, 2 sided LED bulbs were optimum although I admit that assumption isn't based on anything concrete..

As the lumens of these 3 sided bulbs are the same as the 2 sided bulbs... I can't assume they are any brighter or any more effective in lighting the road ahead of you.. I simply don't know. After dealing with the Chinese for a few years now.. I rarely trust the specs they put on their products. I've grown skeptical..

let us know what you think. For now, I'll continue to get feedback on the 2 sided bulbs. My #1 concern is making sure these bulbs are compatible with everybody's bike.. If I hear of even ONE customer who's dash warning lights are triggered by the kits we are evaluating.. I'll stop selling them for a while..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator
So here is an update on the H11 (truck)
The new "replacement" H11 that he sent me were black casing but he assured me were of the same components.
However, i find that they are 3 sided. There are 3 emitters in a triangular fashion as opposed to 2 back to back in a 180 degree fashion. So I changed both bulbs to the new ones. Just FYI.
3 emitters better than 2, lumens wise? IDK.
Is there a 3 sided one for the H7?
Jerry you may want to check into that as well with the supplier.
Here is the link to the 3 sided one.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077SHW3FH?th=1
Old 06-07-2018, 11:22 PM

those 3 sided ones will not give a good lightpattern unless you have projectorlenses, in a reflectorhousing they will give huge amounts of glare. H7 reflector needs 2 sided.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:33 AM
Supporting Vendor

Thought I'd check in with an update.. Information is slowly coming in from field testers.. So far... no CanBus issues or warning lights, but apparently on some bikes there will be "space" issues...

As I depend on my customers to let us know about such things... please let me know (via PM) or post here what bikes can accommodate LED headlight bulbs problem free and/or if you ran into space problems.

The bulbs will fit : K1300S, K1200S

The LED bulbs will NOT fit (without mods) : BMW S1000XR
Old 06-13-2018, 12:55 PM
Getting up to speed

Amazon seller Jiayou sent me another set of LEDs and I installed them last night. I let the bike idle for 5 mins and no LAMPF! error. I'll have to take the bike out for a night ride soon and fully test them. They let me keep the first set, and maybe I see if they work for my hi-beams.

2006 BMW K1200S
Old 06-16-2018, 02:28 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Just got back from a 1000 mile round trip with 96 degree heat, all good, no error still haven't riden in complete darkness but close, wow sure lights up the road signs!
Old 06-16-2018, 02:35 PM
Shooting the gap

Mine have been in now about a month, no errors, and brighten up my night time rides home just nicely...

The Cyclops are nice, I just couldnít justify the cost.....

Old 06-16-2018, 02:40 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Did you replace the little parking light also? I did, nobody seems to mention that little guy, but sure does make it look all stock with the LED bulb and all colors matching.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:42 PM
Certified Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs530
Did you replace the little parking light also? I did, nobody seems to mention that little guy, but sure does make it look all stock with the LED bulb and all colors matching.
Where from and what did you replace the little guy with?
2011 DR650
Old 06-16-2018, 02:51 PM
Shooting the gap

Yes I replaced mine, you can see it in the last 3 pictures of my original post

Just find one that is the same size as the original so that it fits into the tube, I donít know specifically the name or type but itís not hard to figure out and get one.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:41 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Ordered it from cyclops when I ordered the headlight, its called a T-10