I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200GT-Slant 4 Version > "K12GT" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12GT" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 04-19-2018, 06:29 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Fuel smell, but it's not the tank fittings

My 2007 K1200GT generates a strong gasoline odor during hot soak after a ride. The most common cause for this is either a cracked fuel pump boss and/or a leaking plastic tank quick-disconnect fitting and I actually had both, and naturally assumed that this was my problem. I had my pump replaced under the recall (so it now has the reinforced fitting) and also installed metal QDs and now no more leak of any kind, all tank fittings are bone-dry when the bike is idling. But... there's been no change in the odor problem at all so there must be some other cause. I see no evidence of any external leak (no wetting anywhere I can see, no fuel on the ground) so I am at a loss as to the source. Fuel cap seems secure and sealed although it's virtually impossible to locate the source of a gasoline leak by smell alone. Also the fuel tank vent valve seems to be operating correctly (as tested with a GS911.)

The point of my post is to ask if anyone has had any fuel leaks develop anywhere other than the fuel tank fittings? Been pulling my hair out over this because I just can't locate any physical signs of a leak.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:16 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Re: Fuel smell, but it's not the tank fittings

Possibly the charcoal canister needs replacing.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:22 PM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!
Thanked 1,884 Times in 1,140 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Flyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs530
Possibly the charcoal canister needs replacing.
Replacing? I've always removed them

Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2016
04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD
06 K1200R..SOLD..so long!

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Do it now NON NEONS . Thanks!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Flyboy' for this post:
Old 04-19-2018, 11:32 PM

I thought about the charcoal canister, but it isn't vented to the atmosphere when the engine is off. When the engine is off it is sealed and fumes are only vented back into the engine when it is running (that's the whole point of the evaporate emissions system.) I guess the evaporative system could possibly be leaking though, if that's what you guys mean. Another possibility is a cracked or leaking fuel delivery manifold, but man, what a PITA to get to. Plus at that level of disassembly (tank and battery removed) I'm not sure how I could pressurize the fuel system to inspect for a leak.

The evap canister doesn't look that difficult to get to though, guess I'll try isolating it and see if that improves things. Although without the canister the tank would have to vent directly to the atmosphere and that might be just as bad in terms of gasoline odor.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:12 PM

Think I got it! The (no longer) leaking fuel tank fitting was such an obvious cause that I never looked anywhere else. Turns out that there was another hidden problem, which was that the hose had come loose from evap canister purge solenoid, essentially venting the canister to the atmosphere. After reconnecting the problem seems solved.

The line between the canister and purge valve is a short molded piece, barely long enough to reach and easy to separate. I replaced it with a longer piece of hose that is more likely to stay put.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'millers' for this post:
edl
Old 04-25-2018, 08:13 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,219 Posts

Glad you found your leak. But, the canister has three hoses, one supply from the gas tank, one out to the solenoid and a third out to the ground. When this last one starts dripping, time for a new unit or remove it and run directly to the ground from the gas tank vent. Not legal in many states.
https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/Diagra...png?v=07242017
S1000R
I need a Honda sport or better yet a Monkey
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:37 PM

I thought about just removing the canister, but in my experience venting the gas tank to the atmosphere is essentially the same as having a gas can with an open cap and will result in a hot soak gasoline smell when in an enclosed garage. That's essentially what I had with the loose hose on the GT and removing the canister would only duplicate the problem, not cure it. I learned this after removing the evaporative system on my R1100RT, gas smell in closed garage until I re-installed it. I know that many have removed the system and will disagree with me but what can I say, the forgoing has been my experience.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:45 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I agree with you, thats why I never did it too mine when I had my K1200RS, thats why I pointed you in that direction. Glad you found the problem!