I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Chit-Chat A GENERAL, BMW bike (or other) forum for off topic discussions that may not fit elsewhere

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

View Poll Results: Which side have you dropped your bike on the most?
LEFT 45 42.06%
RIGHT 38 35.51%
BOTH EQUAL 24 22.43%
Voters: 107. You may not vote until 'registered'. Please go here: http://www.i-bmw.com/register.php

Old 09-20-2011, 08:24 PM
Site Contributor
Thanked 1,524 Times in 952 Posts

For those who have dropped their bike...

More often on the left or right or equal scars on both sides?
Old 09-20-2011, 08:57 PM
Postmeister

Re: For those who have dropped their bike...

Mine did not exactly drop, the sidestand sunk into the soft grass in my yard. It was a slow motion lay down. By the time I realized what was going on, Too late to save, just a recovery effort then. No damage.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:55 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 7,486 Times in 3,011 Posts

I'm an equal opportunity dropper - if I think about it, over the years I've not favoried one side over the other, although I sometimes experience a dropsy drought, which is what I prefer.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'CJS350' for this post:
Old 09-21-2011, 01:19 AM
Site Contributor

You left out never. OK my air head has sunk in the pavement and gone over but none of my three k bikes.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:22 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2007
Thanked 1,025 Times in 445 Posts

No drops here if you mean "drops" as opposed to flinging it down the highway.

02 Kawasaki KLR 650..."Goat Killer". Now living in Chile
2000 K1200RS RED
2017 Honda CRF250L ABS ... My "LRP"
2018 BMW S1000R Catalano Gray

"Where you stand depends on where you sit"
Rufus E Miles JR.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:14 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,734 Times in 1,235 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by McWideglide
Mine did not exactly drop, the sidestand sunk into the soft grass in my yard. It was a slow motion lay down. By the time I realized what was going on, Too late to save, just a recovery effort then. No damage.

Same but on hot asphalt... some scratches...

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135
Old 09-21-2011, 08:46 AM
Debbie's Servant
Thanked 3,895 Times in 1,827 Posts

No parking lot drops for me.
We did have both fall off the centerstand at the same time during a storm.
The double drop cost around $9,000.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S
03 K1200RS, 91 K75S, 87 K75T, 84 R100RT

Old 09-21-2011, 09:11 AM
Certified V4 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Tallahassee
No drops here if you mean "drops" as opposed to flinging it down the highway.
Dirt: 2004 Honda CRF80 ~ son :: 2006 Honda CRF70 ~ daughter #1 :: 1985 Honda ATC70 ~ daughter #2 :: 2006 Honda CRF150 ~ unclaimed :: 2007 Honda CRF450X ~ Dad
IBA #25520 - Iron Butting the Blue Ridge Parkway

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:09 AM
Site Curmudgeon

A couple months ago, I was coming home from a trip, and my wife asked a neighbor of mine to move my bike behind her car, so I could pull the other car into the garage. A hailstorm was predicted, and she didn't want me to have to move things around myself when I got home in order to get my car in out of the predicted storm. My neighbor came over and maneuvered the bike as requested, but he forgot that he'd put up the sidestand and as soon as he got off, the bike started tipping over and dropped on its side in spite of his best efforts to save it. I was lucky that the side bags weren't on and the only damage I could tell was that the L/H mirror was scratched up a bit. No big deal, and at least it didn't fall over the other way onto the car. My neighbor offered to pay to replace the mirror, but how could I allow that, when he was asked to do a favor?
Old 09-21-2011, 10:16 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Owned my 2004 GT for all of 2 weeks when a riding bud came over (2004 RS) to ride. He stopped short in my driveway and rather than run into his back, I laid the GT down on it's left side. I looked for a super clean GT for 6 months before I bought this one, 12k miles, not a nick or blemish. Now, I have a deep wound on the left case lid, some light scratches on the bottom of the fairing and a nick in the mirror. Doesn't pay to buy a pristine bike; better to buy one that already has a battlle wound. Kind of like that first parking lot dink in your brand new car door.....painful!
Old 09-21-2011, 10:14 PM
Postmeister

On a bike vacation in 76, I rode my R90/6 and my buddy rode his 900 Kaw with a kerker exhaust. Loud and he rode with an attitude. We pulled into a gas station for a fill up, me first with Buzz following full of attitude exceeding an HD rider. I was set, got my gas pump going and I heard, "Hey come help me get this MF off of me." He put his foot down in a puddle of gas, it slid out and down it went. It half way happened to me on my Wideglide riding with my son. We pulled into a station side by side to share a pump. I was looking at a female attraction and started to lean her over on the left side. Only problem I forgot to put the stand down. I caught it with my knee under the tank. My son was right there and I avoided the fall. Wheew. No more girl watching at the filling station.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:12 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2008
Thanked 2,522 Times in 1,070 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McWideglide
We pulled into a station side by side to share a pump. I was looking at a female attraction and started to lean her over on the left side.
I.... I... I just can't resist this one.... Inquiring minds want to know... why the left side?
Old 09-22-2011, 08:35 AM
Half Fast Rider

I laid mine down in the garage taking it off the center stand. Didn't realize I'd left the kick stand down and when I dropped it down the kick stand hit and jogged the bike to the right. It went down slowly and the side bags were on so just some scratches and mild depression for a few days.
Steve

It's the blink of an eye from diapers to depends.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:00 AM
Different every day

I was going to make a post about all the times my bike has tipped over. Then I realized that nobody would have the time to read all the way to the end.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:26 AM
Moderator -Tainting The i-BMW Gene Pool
Thanked 3,009 Times in 1,368 Posts

HA! Heading out to Terlimgua one year for the Pre-THCR, I stopped to reposition my GoPro and thought I put my side stand down... you know, it's automatic! I stepped off the bike and down she went.

Thinking about other times, I'd have to say "it definitely hangs to the left".
1974 Moto Guzzi Eldorado 850 California (Police Edition)
2010 KTM 530 EXC Champion Edition a.k.a. "Brutus"

- FZ

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident" -
Arthur Schopenhauer

"Vulgarity is the crutch of an illiterate mutherfucker" - Chris Andries
Old 09-22-2011, 07:49 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 7,486 Times in 3,011 Posts

My favorite tip over anecdote stems from the early 70's when I was helping my friend Michael build this bike,

(I've written about this photo before). In any event, we were in his grandfather's garage, and the bike was propped up on some 2x6 blocks of wood. We were polishing, and bolting things on, and the bike was not yet on its wheels.

I was on the right side of the bike, and behind me was the garage wall and piled on the floor was a bunch of lumber stacked up against the wall. Needless to say the bike started to fall over in my direction. I was on sitting on the garage floor working on something.

I tried to hold the bike up - but at 500 or so pounds, this 97 lb weakling wasn't up to the task.

I wound up on my back with the motor's heads, and the gas tank on my chest, damn near crushing me, and only the handlebar resting on the stack of lumber on the garage wall to save me from a brutal fate.

So, here I am, can hardly breath, and Michael is standing over me, yelling,

"DON'T SCRATCH THE PAINT!!!!"

We still laugh about it to the day - and to answer the poll, it fell on the right side that day.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:28 AM
Getting up to speed

No preference over the years for which side of my bikes I liked to wreck. Pretty much hate doing it to both sides.

But I will say, my bike is not sitting in my garage so I can enjoy the way it looks. Its got some scratches and road rash on both sides, and I like it that way. It reminds me everyday why I want to keep the rubber side down.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:39 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

2 drops for me, 1st tip over on lawn, popped turn signal pod off, broke a couple of the metal fingers and lost retaining ring. Velcro and two sided sticky tape held it on for a while til I got a new part.

2nd drop more serious, My son backed into my bike on his way to work, destroyed Rt side fairing, broke off foot peg and rt turn signal. Total damage $2800.

This was on my 2000 KRS
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'RideOn2' for this post:
Old 10-13-2011, 06:44 AM
Entering the on-ramp

I lost my virginity to a Suzuki Katana 750 on the streets of Miami Beach about 12 years ago while trying to keep up with a GSXR 600. Dropping and watching it slide down the street on the fairing was not fun. Neither was picking the gravel out of my skin. That was the only drop to note.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:35 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,676 Times in 1,279 Posts

I change tires for a lot of folks in the area, probably 20 or more on the list. I always caution each one each time to be careful the first few miles on the new tires. My shop is at the top of a 100 foot hard pack dirt driveway, then city streets start. Two folks have dumped at the start of pavement at the bottom of the driveway. Each time they turned right or left and gave it a little gas to catch up with someone or get out on the road. That combination of a hard turn and throttle with fresh tires, yikes. Well after riding for many years I thought I was above all that. Last week, I put fresh M5's on the bike, at the time they seemed extra nasty on the surface so I told myself to be really careful. I headed out to my favorite rough surface country road to take the new off them. I got past the bottom of the drive, headed to the first stop sign that had a right turn, up hill off camber road and traffic coming up the hill that I thought I could get ahead of. Well in a split second, with a little too much throttle my bike and my butt were on the pavement. Never done that in 50 years. First time for everything. And believe me some brands of tires are really nasty when new. A cold damp day, a little too much throttle (it was not much really ), tight turn, up hill, off camber, stupid fool on a bike and there you are. 1800 bucks in parts out the window. Plenty of kind folks to help me get the bike off the road. Clutch slave cylinder and hose destroyed so I pushed it home. I will be really cautioning people getting tires now. I am taking the opportunity of bike down time to do all my 60K miles maintenance. The wife says scrap it and get a new bike. No, I need a couple more years out of this baby.
S1000R
I need a Honda sport or better yet a Monkey
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,839 Times in 1,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
No parking lot drops for me.
We did have both fall off the centerstand at the same time during a storm.
The double drop cost around $9,000.
I dropped one one time for 1/4 million. Bad day.

Other than that, a few scratches on the RS from a right side stall and tip over day one with the bike. Buffed it out and replaced right mirror. No one ever noticed over the 67,000 miles we rode it.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:55 PM
Head Up Knee down

right side for me. I wrote about this before but it was more of a laydown vs. a drop. minor scratches, most of it has buffed out. the two other close calls were to the right as well.

1st time out ever by myself on the bike stopped to get gas. Saw a ratty porche 944 pull in behind me as i was clipping the bag back on the bike (figured he wanted the pump i was getting ready to vacate). Turn the bike on, quick peek in the mirrors and went to go. At the same time as giving some throttle the proche duche decided to go to the drive through instead and darted on my right side and then turned in front of me . I was going no more than 2 mph in a bit of a lean and grabbed all the brake i could find. I got to find out how heavy the bike was about 2 inches from the ground. Managed to save her and get the bike upright.

Just a few weeks ago i changed over to my heated gloves (I generally use the thin GS gloves). Leaving my neighborhood like I've done a thousand times, I in one moment go to throttle, lift left foot (right foot on my brake) and let out clutch. Thick gloves and bacd grip on throttle = STALL saved that one about a foot from the ground
2008 K1200S Tri Color / Power Commander III Quick Shift *rebuilt title (wife's bike) (sold)
2002 Silver K1200RS M-sport Roundel (sold)
2005 GSX-R 600 *sold to buy the k12s

Web Designer / Internet Marketing / network marketing
Old 12-07-2012, 04:39 PM

On a ride east of Denver, on my 4th gas stop, I dropped my 00 K1200RS on its right side when I pushed off the center stand with the side stand still down.

Thomas Sells
Old 12-08-2012, 09:54 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Two of my drops have been on slight downhills parked in neutral, bike rolls forward. Now I make a point of killing the engine with the bike still in gear. Maybe that's common knowledge to other people but it took me a couple decades. Another drop when side stand sinks in to wet grass while washing the bike, at least it's soft but bent the gear shift. Once bike blown over by wind near Death Valley when side stand held it too high. One drop on the right when riding a cold bike out of a parking space...sputter, sputter, clunk! Two knock overs by cars.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:07 AM
Idling

Left side because the side stand foot is so ridiculously small on the K12S, it's never happened since I put the obligatory enlarger on.
A trap for newbies "avoid setting the bike on the side stand where there is even the slightest of forward inclines". Embarrassing as well!
Old 12-09-2012, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingfox
avoid setting the bike on the side stand where there is even the slightest of forward inclines".
'A solution: Always park in gear and if there is a forward slope, roll the bike forward to take up the drive train slack then down on the side stand. Never leave the bike idling in neutral on the side stand.
S1000R
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:52 AM
Administrator
Thanked 5,621 Times in 3,277 Posts

I've dropped a few bikes in my day and I don't favor one side from the other.

Earlier this year on my GS - pulling out into the street inching into traffic turning right - I stalled the bike - I was not able to save it - so like a turtle upside down we both laid in the road. No damage what so ever - well known to the bike - plenty to my pride.

Back in 2005 or 2006 on my K1200GT at a gas station. Just finished filling up. I always put the bike on the centerstand. I was pushing off the centerstand and didn't notice that I had turned the bars to the right - when I came down - down we went on the right side - and I was trapped underneath the bike. My two friends were laughing and took a picture before helping me get up. This time a little less lucky - no damage to me - but the rear brake pedal was bent to heck and I did scratch the heck out of the right side bag.

Coming back from a road trip to VA Beach I had ridden all day and was a mile from home. I knew I needed gas and I was going to be riding the next day. So I pulled into the gas station and got off the bike and was heading into the office to pay for the gas. I hear what sounded like something smashing into something - well I turn around and my bike is on its side. I look over at the guy pumping gas in front of my bike and he says to me - you just pulled in and got off the bike and walked away and never put the kickstand down - fatigue certainly was a factor. Got away easy no damage at all.

I know I have had a few others but these are still fresh in my memory.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 12-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Getting up to speed

Red face Re: For those who have dropped their bike...

Going to the MOA Rally in Sedalia this year, the front guy decide to take an exit out of the blue to nowhere and we end up on a very small and narrow road on a 100 + degree heat without water, gas or much shade for relieve. After Eric manage to get some water from a sweet old lady, we decide to go back to the highway. As I was making the turn, my left foot slipped on the gravel and that it was on the left side as Eric saw on his mirror and came to my aid, few scratches as the asphalt was so hot that the foot pegs went deep. At dinner that day, I asked the front guy why that exit without sign of gas or rest area and he lost his mind and decide to leave the trip going back to MA, Me and Eric continue the trip and had a great time. Funny staff....
Old 12-09-2012, 01:31 PM

Poor heat management, lack of fluids can really mess with you. Sorry for that bad day. Luck that was all that happened. The times I go down besides being pissed at myself because it is always opperator error on my part, I am thankful no broken bones (any more, dirt bike riding is another story).
S1000R
Old 07-18-2016, 05:49 PM
Shooting the gap

is this for just one BMW?

I have a lot of practice 06 GT, 02 Dakar, 12 GS, 07 GT, and most of the time I pick them up by myself

'12' R1200GS
IBA #64066
Old 08-04-2016, 06:40 PM

Mine has fallen on the left three times and on the right once... all were zero mph tip-overs. But since it's a BMW K1300S with big shiny pieces of tupperware along the sides, each event resulted in close to $2,000 in replacement parts. There isn't anything on a Beemer that doesn't cost $500!

Kent
Old 08-06-2016, 02:26 AM
Thanked 1,450 Times in 824 Posts

Scar free

2008 K1200R - B1.
2009 HP2 Sport. - B2
Old 08-06-2016, 12:40 PM
Site Contributor

Smile Re: For those who have dropped their bike...

Anyone who denies dropping their bike either is lying, or doesn't ride it!
At one time or another I have dropped every bike that I have owned!
Usually at a stop, and usually with minimal damage, other than to my ego.
Shit happens.
Old 08-06-2016, 01:18 PM
Twisted Wrister

equal

I'm ruling out crashes here. I've totaled three of my six BMW's, two with the help of automobiles placing themselves in my path.

So I've dropped bikes twice, since 1973. Unforced errors. My R90s went down - in a comical fashion - in 1977 when I put my foot down on the left side on a sloped gravel surface and it slipped. I thought I could just hold it up as it started going over, but the next thing I knew I was on my back with the left handgrip still in my hand. The bike was really loaded down for a trip to Colorado with bags and camping gear.

The other drop was a K100RS that got away from me after I washed it on the back porch. I was standing on the left side as I took it off the centerstand and somehow it went to the right. Only time that bike went down in the 30 years I owned it. Since then I've never once taken a bike off the centerstand without straddling it.

I'm also extremely careful on gravel. In fact I won't allow a passenger to get on or off the bike without me nodding my head to indicate that I'm good and ready for that.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:30 AM

Dropped a customers bike after tires the other day. Damn servo brakes, my fault, did not turn on the key when taking it off center stand on the lift. I know better. Zero, right back to the grip and over on me. Luck the tool chest drawer caught the left turn lamp assembly or I would have been road pizza. Now I just have to pay for it and fix it. Makes me wonder about the future of tires for 40$. Just getting old.
S1000R
Old 08-14-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech
Dropped a customers bike after tires the other day. Damn servo brakes, my fault, did not turn on the key when taking it off center stand on the lift. I know better. Zero, right back to the grip and over on me. Luck the tool chest drawer caught the left turn lamp assembly or I would have been road pizza. Now I just have to pay for it and fix it. Makes me wonder about the future of tires for 40$. Just getting old.

Sorry to hear that bud.
What kinda turn signal are you looking for?
Maybe I have one... or...
Someone should have one...

Know what? Maybe always have the "client" help you put it on and take it off the lift.
Also, no responsibility on you for handling of said bike understood before you work on it.

Cheers

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
Ride West 2008
Old 12-07-2018, 11:21 AM
A skeptic and a pragmatist.

Them servo GSs turn signals are kind of cheap on ebay if bought as a pair?Fits other models too.Louis needs one....!
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
85 BMW K100RS at 28 (Very nice and sorely missed)
90 BMW R100GS at 34 (Too slow, too cranky)
2003 K1200 RS at 53 (Oh Yeah......over 6000RPM)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'pbegin@burton' for this post:
Old 12-07-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbegin@burton
Them servo GSs turn signals are kind of cheap on ebay if bought as a pair?Fits other models too.Louis needs one....!

Do you deliver?

Ride West 2008
Old 12-07-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis
Do you deliver?

Your bike.Find a cheep pair and share? They wouldn't fit my brick anyway.

But I have a pair that may just fit the R80 G/S? I may deliver that with other bits once my own parts show up and after I find time to crossreference a few GS to G/S part numbers.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
Old 12-07-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbegin@burton
Your bike.Find a cheep pair and share? They wouldn't fit my brick anyway.

But I have a pair that may just fit the R80 G/S? I may deliver that with other bits once my own parts show up and after I find time to crossreference a few GS to G/S part numbers.

There's room in the stable for the delivery boy!

Ride West 2008
Old 12-08-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:

Chocolate cake in the freezer too?
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
Old 01-29-2019, 11:36 PM

Quote:

It's an obligation...

Ride West 2008