I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S/R" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S/R" Technical Q&A K1200S/R Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 03-18-2016, 09:56 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Coolant Pouring Out Help!

Good day Gents,
I searched for a thread on this issue and didn't see one so here it goes.
I took my 2009 K1300s with 40K miles on it out for a ride last evening and was alerted by fellow rider something was leaking from my bike. It was coolant.
I headed home and noticed the temp was normal and started rising after a few miles. The temp was nearly maxed and the red triangle light came on so I turned the engine off coasted to a gas station topped off the overflow tank with about a liter of bottled water and rode the remaining mile home.
I removed the lower cowl and the coolant is pouring out a vent tube. It barely trickles out until the engine warms then increases.
When the coolant level drops the engine begins to run hot not the other way around.
I am reaching out to the collective minds here to comment on the issue I am facing. My initial thought is increased cooling system pressure caused by a blown head gasket but am not familiar enough with the bike to say with any confidence thats the problem.

More info:
Purchased bike from a dealer last fall and has complete service history, very well cared for so I was comfortable with this used bike.
I have only put about 2500 mile on the bike.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Don
2002 K1200RS Wilbers are the Best
1994 K100 RS Sewing Machine

"You cant go wrong with bacon"
Old 03-18-2016, 11:38 AM
Site Contributor

Re: Coolant Pouring Out Help!

Just a guess, bad thermostat?
2005 Ducati 999-The I-talian Mistress-sold but missed
2004 KGT, Gen 1, Orient Blue
Old 03-18-2016, 01:23 PM
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmorritt
Just a guess, bad thermostat?
Hi Don
As you tell us, seems a leak problem somewhere,perhaps imperceptible, but enough to let the air enter in the cooling system when cold.

I mean, when the engine is hot the system have pressure, then if you have a little leak then the coolant goes out, most of the time not visible at first sight. After that, when the engine becomes cold, the air enters through the little hole, then, when the air is in the system, there are problems like you tell.

Please, look at this thread, I think would help you

"K1200S sudden rise in temperature!" http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=48822
Old 03-18-2016, 01:50 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Bernardo,
That sure seems like what I'm up against.
I'll start looking for another leak. It makes now makes sense how a small leak can cause the cooling system to drain out the vent.
Thanks tons!
Don

Old 03-18-2016, 02:33 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,543 Times in 1,182 Posts

Since you bought the bike last fall, have you ridden it much this year? Winter storage and this was the first long ride?
Read the threads about filling the cooling system on this bike. I wonder if the dealer or previous owner did not fill the cooling system as to procedure. And you need to use the correct coolant and distilled water. It is easy to turn your system to a gel mass with some of the auto coolants out there mixing with what is in your bike.
I think the best thing is to start with a proper refill using the vacuum refill method and see where you stand. There is a possibility that your system had air in it from before you owned it and it showed up now. As you figured it was a good idea to shut down when it got hot. And sorry to say this does not completely put you in the safe zone. It is possible to get localized heating and crack the head. Lets hope not. Please keep us in the loop on what you find.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 03-18-2016, 08:25 PM
Site Contributor
Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,077 Posts

I'd be also checking the radiator cap,…that is on top of the header/recovery bottle by the left knee, when sitting on bike.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'paulmogs' for this post:
Old 03-18-2016, 08:54 PM
Thanked 1,421 Times in 801 Posts

Had the same problem myself with the same symptoms. Was a bad thermostat which are problematic on the k12/13. Also, as Moggsy said, check the radiator cap which can cause the same problems. Its frozen in the closed or near to closed position and won't allow enough water to flow through the radiator to cool the engine which then overheats. A blown head gasket will allow oil and water to mix and will make the oil go a light brown colour almost sludge like. You will see this if you take off the radiator cap. My bet it's the thermostat.

2008 K1200R - B1.
2009 HP2 Sport. - B2
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Capt Howdy' for this post:
Old 03-21-2016, 09:16 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Thanks for all the advise guys!
Here is the short description of my cooling problem diagnosis.
I borrowed the vacuum fill set up from a friend figuring I would at least refill and see if the problem pursisted. Prior to pulling a vacuum I decided to do a very low pressure test on the cooling system. The vacuum kit came with a cone adapter with a hole in the center so regulated my compressor down to about 3 psi and pressurized the system at the radiator cap area. I looked for water or air leaking and found the overflow tank vent tube was leaking air slightly. Popped the cap off the overflow tank and wiped the cap and tank off and found a slight amount dirt on the tank. I reinstalled the cap with warning label up, not the arrow up, shouldn't matter but it seemed you should be able to read the warning, re-pressure tested and no leak from vent line. The system held vacuum as well.
Went to OReillys and purchased Pentofrost NF blue coolant and vacuum filled the system. Warmed it up and took it for a ride in yesterdays 32 degree weather. So far so good!
Thanks again everyone for your input on this panic inducing problem.
Don

The following (5) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Donzzi1' for this post:
Old 03-22-2016, 08:34 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Bad thermostat is certainly a possibility but since this is an easy task to perform, I would suggest that you carefully flush water through the radiator core (from the back side) to clear out any dirt, dust and debris that may be plugging the radiator. With 40,000 miles on the bike, there is a reasonable chance that you've accumulated quite a bit of "dreck" over the years and a good cleaning might solve the problem. Be very careful though and don't use a high pressure washer as you could do more damage than good.

Kent
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Der Kaiser' for this post:
Old 03-24-2016, 12:25 AM
2013 Member of the Year

By the way, the correct coolant to use is "Pentofrost NF" (diluted 50-50 with water) which, like the original used by BMW, is Blue in color. It's available from NAPA in a 1-1/2 liter jug (which is all you will need).

NEVER use the pink DexCool coolant!

No more "Vancouver.... the Blond Bimbo of Cities" for me
.... moved to Kelowna BC in the beautiful wine country of the Okanagan Valley.

- '08 K1200GT, metallic charcoal/silver
- '86 K100RT, Diamantgrau Metallic (great old girl!).
Old 03-24-2016, 12:58 AM
Shooting the gap

Also, never use tap water. Only use distilled water. It's cheap in the grocery store. No impurities to react with the engine and cause build ups of crap that reduce cooling.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'cstumpf750' for this post:
Old 03-24-2016, 08:40 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Update 3/24/16
In the past 2 evenings after work I have put 275 miles on the bike and all seems well.
Thank you all for helping me get this straightened out.
I sincerely appreciate the advice.
Don

The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Donzzi1' for this post:
Old 03-24-2016, 12:15 PM

I've been checking around and I believe the ratio quoted quite often is 60% water and %40 coolant. (if you live in the great NorthWhite you might go 50/50. )
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:34 PM
Shooting the gap

When I lived in Los Angeles I ran 70/30 water/coolant mix. More water is better in high heat as it lets go of and transfers heat much more readily than coolant. Why do you think race engines use water and water wetter. It's not just for the safety factor related to spills. The down side is the lower boiling temp, which means a weak radiator cap can really ruin your day.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:04 PM
2013 Member of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstumpf750
More water is better in high heat as it lets go of and transfers heat much more readily than coolant.

Engineering Translation: Water has a much higher Specific Heat Capacity than Ethylene Glycol (the main ingredient of antifreeze).

The other down side of a 70:30 mix of water/antifreeze is that you have a lower concentration of corrosion inhibitors. In aluminum engines, this is important. Most antifreeze manufacturers do not recommend anything beyond 60/40 to maintain long term anti-corrosion properties.

No more "Vancouver.... the Blond Bimbo of Cities" for me
.... moved to Kelowna BC in the beautiful wine country of the Okanagan Valley.

- '08 K1200GT, metallic charcoal/silver
- '86 K100RT, Diamantgrau Metallic (great old girl!).
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'RFW' for this post:
Old 03-24-2016, 10:10 PM
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstumpf750
The down side is the lower boiling temp, which means a weak radiator cap can really ruin your day.
Not only your day, also your engine, don't forget water dilates 4% when becomes ice, and this could crack your system.

And the neverending question, why factories use specific coolants if water is almost free?
Old 05-14-2018, 07:58 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Had a similar issue today with my 2010 K1300S on the commute home from work. 90f temp this afternoon, a spirited ride down the slab then into stop-n-go traffic for a mile to the house. I didn't notice the fan kick on till I pulled into the garage just a second before I shut the bike off. Temp indication was never higher than mid-scale, where the fan starts working.
Peeled the gear off and a walk out to the mailbox, as I came back into the garage a puddle of coolant was forming under the bike coming from the overflow hose. Overflow tank was making gurgling sounds as it pissed on the garage floor.
The bike has 23400 miles on it. I did the 18k service myself at 20k. So I have over 3000 miles since the system service and had numerous warm days and longer rides to build heat. I have never had an overheat condition. The radiator was cleaned at the 18k service. I don't think it is a thermostat problem as it never went over midscale on the indication.
The only difference today was it never got a "cool-down" period before shut-off and the engine was right at the point where the fan came on. There is no visible coolant in the overflow tank, (looking into the tank with cap off and engine cooled off 3 hours later).
I intend to drain, vacuum test and reservice before the next ride. There is no evidence of leakage that I have seen, vac test may prove me wrong.
Any additional thoughts from the corps? Anyone had this experience?
Old 05-15-2018, 12:02 AM

A hot shut down the bike continues to heat the coolant for several minutes. It could have just lifted the coolant tank pressure lid and spit coolant. Did you clean the radiator or the shop? Big difference possibly. A fresh pressure cap for the overflow tank is a good idea. If you have the tools a refill is great.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
Old 05-15-2018, 07:19 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Thanks Beech. I did the cleaning of the radiator when I did the 18K service. It wasn't in bad shape and a few minutes with the hose cleaned it up. This just puzzles me as I have more thoroughly heat soaked the engine on hot days with more extended rides than my 16 mile work commute.
I have the ability to pressure test at a controlled low pressure, what would be a safe maximum psi to use? That way I could test the overflow cap as well. I know I've seen automotive radiator caps marked with a pressure rating of something like 12-16 psi.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:47 AM

Pressure cap: COVER LID - 1.8BAR
I would not subject the system to a pressure test, I would jut purchase a new cap and call it good. But that is me.
When I clean a K bike radiator, it is on the bench, I pick out with a dental pick all the little rocks between each fin, takes a hour or so. Air blow it. Flush it with brake cleaner spray. An amazing amount of nasty oily film comes out. Then strong soap like S100 or simple green. Then a very through water flush to get any corrosive cleaners or soaps out of there. Whole thing takes a couple of hours. Shops will not do this as they can not convince the customer to pay the two hours time. They will sell you a new radiator though.
My S bike has a digital coolant thermometer. I can see when I shut down at a train crossing then re start in a minute or so, I have gained another 10 degrees in engine temperature. It goes back down of course but a heat soaked engine can shed a lot of heat to the coolant when it is not circulating. And, as you suspect the possibility of a bubble in the head passages is there.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
Old 05-15-2018, 03:43 PM
Shooting the gap

at 59 bucks cdn I would buy me a tank and all on ebay and try it.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:01 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Smile Re: Coolant Pouring Out Help!

Thanks for the input gentlemen. I drained and re-serviced the system without issue. The cap seals looked to be in very good condition. System held vacuum for 20+ minuets before I put fresh Pentofrost NF 50/50 mix back in. Ran bike at idle idle to full temp at fan on/off again. No spew. Test rode with no issue but ambient temps were in the low 70's and rain, of course.
So it's fly and observe for awhile before I start to trow parts at it and tools at the wall!
Old 05-21-2018, 03:03 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Are you sure the cap was fully screwed home? Last summer mine peed itself all over the pub car park after coming back from a service. When I went to open the cap to see how much fluid was left, I noticed it was only done up to the first notch, not fully home, allowing fluid to overflow at a much lower pressure than normal.
Past: Norton Commando 850, Honda CB750 K1, Suzuki GS550 (twice), Suzuki GS850 '81, Suzuki GS1000 '82, Triumph Speed Triple '98, Yamaha V-Max '06, Yamaha FZ-1 '08, Kawasaki 1400GTR '10, Triumph Explorer 1200 XC '14
Current: BMW K1300S '12
Old 05-23-2018, 07:13 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Caps were secure at full lock. Only suspect was a small amount of grime in overflow cap seal seat. Cleaned on reservice. Have had a few more rides / commutes with no issues.
Thanks!