I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200S > "K12S/KR" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12S/KR" Technical Q&A K1200S/R Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 08-20-2017, 12:16 AM
Shooting the gap

Again 😐

Man, i hate to sound like a broken record. I really do.

Last Wednesday i went out at 7am to start up and go to work. Except i didn't start up. Again. 😑

Fuel pump conked out again. Last year, around this time almost to the date i got it back after having getting it back for the same reasons it is broken again. I am kind of at wits end with this bike.

The pump in there now is a second hand, free of charge, R1200GS pump that is compatible(as i was told by the stealership) and went with that, at the time because i didn't want to spend a total $1300 to get it fixed. The time to diagnose and a few parta that needed to be replaced. I only paid $800 then, with the free, used pump. I was okay with that.

Fuel pump has zero pressue when the key is turned over. There is no sound from the pump, i cant hear any whirring or start up or preasurization. Which is frustrating because i can't ride. Again.

I mean, yeah, in a few months i can afford to have it fixed once i get my insurance license and my wages jump up significantly. Then, but not now. I don't know what to do.

Part of me wants to sell the beast and get a Yamaha on the cheap because i am mad at the bike(through my own doing&#128529 and while getting myself in a position again to be able to afford to keep up maintenance and provide the bike a better life, it dies therefore inhibiting my ability to keep it it in good shape. Is this bike suicidal? I talk to the bike and i pat her on the back and would keep her clean and give her the best fuel and.oil i could afford but now, i am repaid this.

Yeesh man. Should i go Samuari? Or be a Red Coat and ride Triumph or a Facist on a Ducati? WTF man. I need to get a GS911 so i can see what the real problem is and then go from there. Bi-weekly paychecks suck ass. After the GS911 i need to get the broken parts. But that already is getting near the price of a Stealership. Should i have them do it? Part of me wants to drop the bike there and say "get this back to factory" but that will cost as much as a new bike. Part of me wants to do it myself and learn, but i already have a 98% guess and i am pretty damn sure because i remember vividly being on the phone and with the mechanic that when it displays these very symptoms, the problem is this.

A fuel pump that has zero pressure to it. Do these BMW pumps loose pressure every year after 15 000 miles? Is there a flaw in the design of the pump? I am at wits end. The bike likes hot, hot weather. 110F she likes the heat. Also likes the cold but the heat more.

Geeze. Rant over. If you have read this far, then thank you. I am not asking anything really. More of a vent. Kind of like a a madman shouting from a cell hoping everyone would hear and then being mad when someone looks. If that makes sense, which it probably doesn't.

Anywho guys, have fun. Ride safe. Be safe. Enjoy your rides. Once again i have to take 4 wheels to work instead of two. Piss.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:33 AM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!
Thanked 1,818 Times in 1,096 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Flyboy
Re: Again 😐

You want to ride a beeemer, you pay the price! Want to plug and play each day, get a yami, Kowi or hondo and be a happy camper

Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2016
04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD
06 K1200R..SOLD..so long!

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Do it now NON NEONS . Thanks!
Old 08-20-2017, 06:37 AM
(Moderator) My Life is a Blur

Send a message via Skype™ to Karlb

If your sure it's that pump get a new one that comes with a warranty and no the pumps don't fail that often but you have no idea how old or how many miles were on that "free" pump. It being free sounds like it ended up costing you more money in the long run than buying new would have the first time. Fix things once the right way.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:59 AM
Site Contributor

Before you spend $300 on a GS911 why dont you consider getting the K+DCAN interface ($20) and the adapter cable ($15). The software that your dealer uses to diagnose (rip you off) can be downloaded for.....

Just a suggestion....
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Patrique83' for this post:
Old 08-20-2017, 05:24 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlb
If your sure it's that pump get a new one that comes with a warranty and no the pumps don't fail that often but you have no idea how old or how many miles were on that "free" pump. It being free sounds like it ended up costing you more money in the long run than buying new would have the first time. Fix things once the right way.

You are quite correct but what makes me sketchy is when i got this bike it has 12.9k and a garage ornament. Why, if documented service did the pump fail at 18k and with, yes, a second hand pump, fail at 16k. Same pump design. Anywho, thank you. I did have a sliver of doubt but i quickly forgot about it. You live and learn. My feathers are ruffled
Old 08-20-2017, 06:11 PM
(Moderator) My Life is a Blur

Send a message via Skype™ to Karlb

on a K12 with low mileage but high years it could be it sat up for quite awhile some place, sitting around for extended periods isn't good for bikes. without fuel things dry out seals go bad not surprising to have a fuel pump go bad in a garage queen. Buy a new one and you should be fine.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Karlb' for this post: