I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200S > "K12S/KR" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12S/KR" Technical Q&A K1200S/R Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 05-30-2018, 07:38 PM
Entering the on-ramp

2007 K1200R Sport Spongy Rear Brakes - Air in Front Reservoir

Greetings fellow riders.

I have searched on line, in the forum and all about for assistance with my current issue; I have found several videos for other bike models, but none for a 2007 K1200R Sport.

When riding, my rear brake pedal is really soft, after a couple of presses it becomes spongy, a couple more and it becomes Firm. It stays that way for a while but then it goes flaccid again. I highly suspect air in the brake lines. Other answers have pointed me to bleed the lines! I can do that just fine on an LS, GS, 2005 etc etc etc But I have no clue on how to do it on my 2007 K1200R Sport. Am I on the right path? Am I looking in the wrong direction?

To make matters worse, a friend said that the level in the front brake reservoir might be low... As he was "explaining to me" how the system worked, he proceeded to take off the cap for the front reservoir, underneath it there was a bronze looking plate with a HUUUGE "DO NOT REMOVE" sign on it. As my brain finished reading the warning sign his fat dumb fingers prodded at that lid and in an instant a "vacuum?" seal was broken and air rushed into the reservoir making a small bubble. Needless to say, we're not friends anymore. But I am greatly concerned about that.

Please help me with this, this is my first bike ever and I love her to death. I only wish I could learn more about her to take better care of her.

TL;DR: Soft Rear Brake, how to fix? / Front Brake Reservoir "Do Not Remove" tag removed, now it has air, how to fix?
Old 05-31-2018, 11:41 PM
Site Contributor

Re: 2007 K1200R Sport Spongy Rear Brakes - Air in Front Reservoir

Not quite sure what you mean with a "bronze plate"....
The front reservoir has a plastic cap with either a sponge or rubber piece in it to keep it from foaming/air bubbles to be created.

Anyway....

The brake system is fairly simple to bleed.
Fluid goes in at the top, fluid comes out at the bottom (at the calipers).

The foot brake works just like the front brakes.

Bleed both circuits and see if the spongyness disappears.
If not, then the piston o-ring from the foot pedal is shot....
Old 06-01-2018, 12:34 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Re: 2007 K1200R Sport Spongy Rear Brakes - Air in Front Reservoir

Hi and thank you for taking the time to answer. I sadly really have no clue on how to bleed anything. This is my first bike and my mechanical skills are none.

Enclosed are some imaged of the front brake reserve that got that new air bubble.
20180601_121527.jpg
20180601_121536.jpg

Guidance would be greatly appreciated.