I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200RS/GT > "KRS/GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"KRS/GT" Technical Q&A K1200RS/GT Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 04-29-2014, 10:55 PM
Getting up to speed

Re: How do I bleed K1200RS ABS III Brakes

Thanks to your quality videos, I have bled both circuits on my K12RS successfully and I am now confident in doing it yearly and saving hundreds of dollars at the BMW dealer.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'cloclo0847' for this post:
Old 04-30-2014, 02:50 PM
Entering the on-ramp

My pleasure! Glad the videos are getting some use!
Old 03-17-2015, 02:23 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Cool Re: How do I bleed K1200RS ABS III Brakes

This might seem stupid, but what ABS unit does a 2nd generation K1200RS (2002) model have? I have replaced the front brake line and need to bleed the system and am not sure what system is installed?
Old 03-17-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaaljapie
This might seem stupid, but what ABS unit does a 2nd generation K1200RS (2002) model have? I have replaced the front brake line and need to bleed the system and am not sure what system is installed?

iABS
-- Stolen
1990 Honda CBR1000F (the love of my life) -- Sold when son was born
2001 BMW K1200RS aka Good Girl -- Current
2006 BMW R1150GSA aka Kim Kardashian -- Current

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Massive Lee' for this post:
Old 05-15-2015, 07:44 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Smile Re: How do I bleed K1200RS ABS III Brakes

I have what I think are called ABS II (hadn't heard of ABS III before). I have a 2004 K1200RS with the Brembo label on the brakes. Can I used these instructions on my bike. I know that the integral brakes are a previous generation but I don't know if this means much when it comes to bleeding the brakes. I'm not mechanically inclined but the $260+ the dealer wants to do the job is pretty steep. Also, I read a description of the process using a Mityvac and it seemed like it made the process much easier. However, I read where you shouldn't use these on the BMW brakes. Any idea is this is correct. Thanks for your help. Don
Old 05-15-2015, 08:10 PM
K1200RS doctor
Thanked 1,004 Times in 562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by itznuthin
I have what I think are called ABS II (hadn't heard of ABS III before). I have a 2004 K1200RS with the Brembo label on the brakes. Can I used these instructions on my bike. I know that the integral brakes are a previous generation but I don't know if this means much when it comes to bleeding the brakes. I'm not mechanically inclined but the $260+ the dealer wants to do the job is pretty steep. Also, I read a description of the process using a Mityvac and it seemed like it made the process much easier. However, I read where you shouldn't use these on the BMW brakes. Any idea is this is correct. Thanks for your help. Don

Don,
Something is mis-matched in description above: you CANNOT have a 2004 model of K1200RS with Calipers marked Brembo - unless bike was modified with parts from older K1200RS.

See attached composite image for the look of both types of calipers:
1) For USA market, first generation is 1998-2001 and these have ABS2 with Brembo stamped on calipers.
2) For USA market, second generation is 2002-2005 and these have IABS with BMW stamped on calipers.

Another way to confirm what ABS modulator you have, is to listen to electrical servo-motors of IABS:
- turn ignition ON but do NOT start - wait 8 seconds,
- press front brake lever for 3 seconds - if you hear the "Whiiizzz" of servos-pump from unit then you have Integral-ABS (IABS).

ABS2 (also called ABSII) is bleed almost like a regular non-ABS system. The steps to bleed ABS2 are covered in CLYMER repair manual and are fairly simple to follow.

On the other hand, IABS is a lot more complex to bleed - the howto instructions are included in technical article on our forums (but not in CLYMER). You should read the full article with all pictures a few times to make sure your understand what you are getting into. If you prefer a video tutorial, read down to Feb-2014 in same thread, one member alias KONTO15 (Pete) did a series of 2 video How to bleed the IABS system.

P.S. EDIT: in retrospect, after posting the top part of this message, there could be a 3rd case to explain your Brembo Caliper on a 2004: in earlier model with Brembo Caliper (1998-2001 for USA), the ABS was a factory option - so the dealer could order a model without ABS. In later models (2002-2005), when the change to IABS was introduced, I had always assumed the ABS was not optional anymore AND all model imported in USA came with ABS. However there might have been some non-ABS from factory and this could explain a Brembo caliper (old type) on a 2004. Just a theory... but not sure if possible. A few pictures from under your seat, left of battery, from various angles, would confirm what type of ABS modulator you have there (if any) - see 2nd attached image for location to make photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg K1200RS_Front_brake_Caliper (Composite).jpg (72.1 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg K1200RS_Odyssey_PC680_Battery.JPG (164.1 KB, 52 views)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'sailor' for this post:
Old 11-12-2015, 07:56 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Awesome videos, a great credit to you Konto and also to the effort that Gary Hollinger put to this mystical job........

Buying my 2003 K1200P second hand it didn't come with a manual, so I have been researching topics as I needed to. I have now got the ABS light flashing and the rear circuit not activating which needs looking into. I know my brakes have not been bled for the last 5 yrs (I'm lucky to do a couple of thousand kms per year) so I think its the first thing that I'm going to have a look at and after reading and watching, it may not be a big as I originally thought when I started reading this topic

A huge thanks to all the guys that have also added their valuable information, and its things like this that make forums and Sailor, I love your famous quote.............
Old 01-02-2016, 02:23 AM
Has "almost" gotten a ticket..

I pulled off the rubber OEM brake lines on the 2000 bike today & needed to figure out how I was going to bleed the right front caliper once the Spiegers that I just ordered from Jerry arrive.
This thread's pictures of the top fitting (filler adapter), of an ABS III unit was my 1st clue that it was an OEM BMW item & not something added by a previous owner.
This service bulletin via Max parts fiche gave the 2nd level of info:

BMW humor:
The front brake and clutch hydraulic lines are now being filled at the Berlin factory with a new filling system, which is connected to the new filling points.
Thanks BMW for explaining your production line efficiency improvement...
http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...12330310_1.pdf

If I chose to RTFM first, I'd have found my end question on page 470 of the Clymer manual: "Some riders remove the filler adapter & replace it with a bleed screw". That's the plan (use "one piece" speed bleeders, not mess with the filler unit + a bleeder nipple every time the front brakes need to be bled)

The filing off of a new speed bleeder's tip mentioned in this thread makes sense to me now that I see the OEM unit & the race up close.

I hemmed & hawed over getting just (2) SB1010S for the front calipers, but got one for the rear & (2) SB1010 units for the ABS unit as well (my bike isn't an ABS III as is the primary focus of the thread). Total cost with shipping from this vendor was $40, short money overall to "speed" the overall brake bleeding process.
http://kirbysbrakebleeders.ecrater.c...speed-bleeders
Old 04-19-2016, 05:18 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Smile Re: How do I bleed K1200RS ABS III Brakes

I've just completed the brake and clutch fluid change on my K1200RS and I'm nearly a broken man
I'd never have completed the job without this guide - thank you soooooo much! The fluid was pretty dirty so I'm glad I got it done - just the test ride to do tomorrow as it's dark now.
I'll get the speed bleeders for the next time as it will make it so much easier - I just used the rear bleed nipple for the bleeding of the clutch and the brake fluid filler. Worked ok.
Also, that special tool would have been handy, but I got by with what I had and a lot of tissues to mop up fluid that I got out of the bleed nipples of that dammed ABS Unit.
Now for some wine!
Old 08-07-2016, 12:26 AM
Site Contributor

Your opinion please:

Apparently my brake lines are beginning to deteriorate on the 2003 K1200RS ABS, yes the super servo assist ABS II.

The local BMW Stealership recommends upgrading to the Speigler stainless steel lines, and they quote 11 hours of labor ($1375) to install them and bleed the system.

I know it's a bit complicated, but 11 hours? Is this a borderline realistic time quote or are they stoned?
Old 08-07-2016, 12:48 AM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 6,701 Times in 2,769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishodad
Your opinion please:

Apparently my brake lines are beginning to deteriorate on the 2003 K1200RS ABS, yes the super servo assist ABS II.

The local BMW Stealership recommends upgrading to the Speigler stainless steel lines, and they quote 11 hours of labor ($1375) to install them and bleed the system.

I know it's a bit complicated, but 11 hours? Is this a borderline realistic time quote or are they stoned?

Crazy - buy a set from Jerry at http://pirateslair.net/spiegler.htm for $250, buy a guart and 1/2 of Dot 4 fluid for about $20, take a look at this thread http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=38778 for a how to on swapping out the lines, and read the beginning of this thread for how to properly bleed the brakes. Send me a PM and I'll lend you the funnel and special tool you'll need for bleeding the servo nipples - shouldn't take more than 5 hours to do it yourself for under $300.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'CJS350' for this post:
Old 08-07-2016, 02:04 AM
Getting up to speed

What CJS350 said!

You want it bad, you get it bad . . .
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'DJ' for this post:
Old 08-07-2016, 02:15 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Your opinion please:

I think you have the IABS servo system on your bike as it was in 2005 when they discontinued the problem plagued IABS?........

My ABS started to falter, making the rear cylinder pump work continuously at times leaving the brake light on at the rear of the bike. The stealership told me as the brake lines were over 10 years old they should be replaced along with the ABS unit as its also faulty...Not much change from AU$5,000...... I decided to have a thorough look at the problem and heaps of online reading then went through flushing the whole system a few times taking it for test rides etc and while I was away on a ride, I thought the rear brake might be the problem due to the sporadic nature of when the fault as it showed itself again at times. I flushed the system again when I returned home and so far the problem has not surfaced. The brake lines did not swell on brake applications, and brake fluid would flow through the pipework/hoses easily and there is no evidence of cracking/splitting rubber etc so I didn't see the need to replace them yet. If the same problem surfaces again, my next approach is to remove the solenoids from the pump and clean them out and reinstall them before committing to an expense which is 50% or more of the value of the bike now. (I found this approach in a forum somewhere).
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'dukabmw' for this post:
Old 08-07-2016, 12:06 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJS350
Crazy - buy a set from Jerry at http://pirateslair.net/spiegler.htm for $250, buy a guart and 1/2 of Dot 4 fluid for about $20, take a look at this thread http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=38778 for a how to on swapping out the lines, and read the beginning of this thread for how to properly bleed the brakes. Send me a PM and I'll lend you the funnel and special tool you'll need for bleeding the servo nipples - shouldn't take more than 5 hours to do it yourself for under $300.

Thanks for the confirmation. This was my thought exactly. I am still a bit spun that the Stealership is quoting 11 hours. I was wondering if there was something I was missing. This job doesn't look THAT tough, nor does it look like 11 hours. Who are they trying to kid?

Just ordered the Speigler SS lines from Jerry (in custom colors).
Old 08-07-2016, 12:47 PM
A skeptic and a pragmatist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukabmw
I think you have the IABS servo system on your bike as it was in 2005 when they discontinued the problem plagued IABS?........

My ABS started to falter, making the rear cylinder pump work continuously at times leaving the brake light on at the rear of the bike. The stealership told me as the brake lines were over 10 years old they should be replaced along with the ABS unit as its also faulty...Not much change from AU$5,000...... I decided to have a thorough look at the problem and heaps of online reading then went through flushing the whole system a few times taking it for test rides etc and while I was away on a ride, I thought the rear brake might be the problem due to the sporadic nature of when the fault as it showed itself again at times. I flushed the system again when I returned home and so far the problem has not surfaced. The brake lines did not swell on brake applications, and brake fluid would flow through the pipework/hoses easily and there is no evidence of cracking/splitting rubber etc so I didn't see the need to replace them yet. If the same problem surfaces again, my next approach is to remove the solenoids from the pump and clean them out and reinstall them before committing to an expense which is 50% or more of the value of the bike now. (I found this approach in a forum somewhere).

That happened to me.Pulled the pedal up,then jolted it up/down to free the stickiness at switch/pedal.Then went home and cleaned/lubed them parts.Pedal pivot/bushing is a lube point,I have to do it every year or so under my sometimes harsh riding conditions.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
85 BMW K100RS at 28 (Very nice and sorely missed)
90 BMW R100GS at 34 (Too slow, too cranky)
2003 K1200 RS at 53 (Oh Yeah......over 6000RPM)
Old 08-07-2016, 12:57 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Thanks for the confirmation. This was my thought exactly. I am still a bit spun that the Stealership is quoting 11 hours. I was wondering if there was something I was missing. This job doesn't look THAT tough, nor does it look like 11 hours. Who are they trying to kid?

Just ordered the Speigler SS lines from Jerry (in custom colors).
Good move. I got a set from Jerry (Jerry rocks!)
During installation I took my time and was perfectly anal about every step of it. THe Speigler kit for your bike comes with all the lines labeled. For the rear- a bit of advice. I know the instructions show you how to rotate the banjo fitting if necessary but I did not need to on my '03. The rear line looked as though I might have to, but careful routing and adding a small amount of twist to the line and everything went on flawlessly. Love the stopping power.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'rxpx40' for this post:
Old 01-24-2017, 02:12 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Did the full bleeding process with new brake lines from Spiegler. This is easy.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:37 AM
Entering the on-ramp

hi, I followed the instructions on the forum and successfully bled my brakes. K1200RS - 2002 model
Old 02-08-2017, 07:36 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJS350
I successfully bled front and rear circuits previously follow the detailed how to. Recently followed the CJS guide to install the new Spiegler's, also successfully. Thanks to all. Now, my turn to seek help. I have confidence in my bleed technique, and have not been shy to sacrifice lots of new brake fluid. Yes, patiently completed the whole procedure 4 times! Alas, very spongy, air in the front circuit!! The rear is great. Each re-bleed gives clear, new fluid, the occasional small air bubble.
I am ready to try the 'fill back from the front caliper' method. Any suggestions would be helpful. Push fluid with syringe and tubing, probably left caliper first. And the speed bleeders will interfere, right? so swap those back to the standard? And then where does that fluid (and air hopefully) go? Open which of the 3 control circuits? All at once or sequentially? Remove cap from master cylinder?
Any suggestions would be great. I know I can do this, with your help. Feels like I am much closer, but just can't get the front lines cleared by the normal bleeding. Thanks so much.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:10 AM

I-ABS? I assume? Fluid will go back into the reservoir which is located on the R/H side of the bike.Not back to the MC.

The reservoirs have "overflow lines".So when you push fluid back into the calipers excess fluid will dump to ground.I'd leave the caps alone and put a container to catch the fluid under the overflow lines.Then when done check fluid level.

That procedure with the bubble free injector aka the syringue is in the BMW service manual under "brake lines replacement".Worth reading for anyone considering replacing their lines.Online procedures may work for some but not always the case. Quite a few "Achtungs" in the BMW service manual in the brake section.Often ignored in other manuals or online procedures.

And yes you'll have to use the OEM bleeders.Personally I'd rather have OEMs on my bike,had the SBs in my box for years before I left them on the bike permanently.Rear one started leaking first....back to OEM.Then a little later decided to go back to OEMs front for long term reliability and also found a leaky front when I removed the rubber cap.

Oh....and after years of using generics DOT 4 fluids I found out that the DOT4 LV (low viscosity) are rather easily available.Super DOT4. Pricing is about same as the generic.I did plenty of readings on that.....I will use BMW spec fluid from now on.By another name of course....that manufacturer offers "US spec"....."Japanese Spec" and German Specs.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
Old 02-08-2017, 11:31 AM
Site Contributor

Thanks Pierre. I feel better already hearing from others that have been there... and using the overflow from the rear/right side reservoir is genius. This is why I reached out!!
Of course I forgot to mention my bike: 2003 K12RS with I-ABS.
You mat be right about the speed bleeders. If I get things tight, may just leave the original bleeders on the calipers.
Jim
Old 02-08-2017, 12:36 PM
Site Contributor

There can be a tendency for trapped air bubbles around the M/C banjo at the handlebars. Try rotating the bars - make sure fluid level is low in the M/C - and give the banjo a tap with a soft rubber hammer. Alternatively, crack open the banjo to allow a small amount of fluid to escape when you squeeze the lever. Be sure to tighten up the banjo before you release the lever and use plenty of rags to catch the drips. When I fitted my Spieglers I had to do this and removed all the plastics to be safe.
1987 K100RS Style. Black, Ohlins, Race Tech springs, Braided lines. Fully restored. 53,000 miles.
The family history:
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads ride
1953 Triumph Terrier - my Mum's ride
1916 Triumph Type H, Battle of the Somme, France WW1 - my Granddads ride
Old 02-08-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Kiwi
There can be a tendency for trapped air bubbles around the M/C banjo at the handlebars. Try rotating the bars - make sure fluid level is low in the M/C - and give the banjo a tap with a soft rubber hammer. Alternatively, crack open the banjo to allow a small amount of fluid to escape when you squeeze the lever. Be sure to tighten up the banjo before you release the lever and use plenty of rags to catch the drips. When I fitted my Spieglers I had to do this and removed all the plastics to be safe.

Ah that works.But faster is to depress the lever just to the point of first resistance.1/2" or so? You can see the piston open the port at the bottom of the MC.Then slowly release the lever and probably watch the very tiny bubbles come out of the tiny relief hole.Wait a few seconds and repeat.10 times? Are them bubbles ever tiny...? But sure pesky....!

All new lines? Check your installation.Servo pressure on....jam pedal down with a wooden wedge.Tie front lever with a ziptie.Tissue papers under all the connectors.Inspect the following day for leaks.Yep I found one and a heck of a lot easier to deal with then than later on the road.

Road test? Stop and inspect a few miles down the road.Rotors cool?No visible leaks? Bring some fluid with you,just in case the lights start flashing in the low fluid mode.I readjusted my bleed procedure a little to prevent that.Once years ago was enough.Oops....twice.10 kms then again at 100.Roadside refills....

Richard? Recochem german spec brake fluid? Big company down there isn't it?Big here in Canada but they just brought out the LV DOT4 to German specs.I am waiting for the full spec sheet.But by the time it is posted will probably be time for another system flush.Pentosin LV?They have the specs and corresponding to auto manufacturers part numbers cross references.Also easily available in Canada as I found out a few weeks ago.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
Old 02-08-2017, 02:39 PM
Site Contributor

Pierre and Kiwi, more good ideas and thanks. Ive been looking for leaks, but no over night pressure test. Air at the MC makes sense...a high point, trapped until I break out the soft rubber hammer or crack the banjo. In all honesty, I let it sit a few weeks out of frustration. Need to win this battle now! Thanks again.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:05 AM
Site Contributor

Jim, I'm sure this will work out for you, just takes a little patience and a few other alternatives to find and expel the last of the air bubbles. Also be aware that the brake system seems to consume brake fluid for a while following the install of new lines. Don't know where it goes 'cos I had no leaks anywhere, but probably three times after installing the Spieglers I got the flashing dash light and sure enough, fluid levels were low in the reservoirs under the seat.
Pierre, Your method is a good variation on a common way of expelling air bubbles at the banjo. Ricochet are a bulk - 200L plus - chemical supplier here and thats about it. Not a known retail supplier in small consumable quantities that I know of.
1987 K100RS Style. Black, Ohlins, Race Tech springs, Braided lines. Fully restored. 53,000 miles.
The family history:
Old 02-09-2017, 10:11 AM

I think I can trace my "low fluid warning lights" to letting the reservoir go down too low during bleeds.Re-adjustment of the procedure is being more careful.

And that was just when bleeding,I was still on the OEM rubber lines the first year.Following year I installed the Speiglers.Couldn't build up pressure in the rear circuit.Pump circulated bubble free fluid but that was it.....NO pressure.Took me a while to find a solution? Got it by 1.00 AM when I found a post somewhere.Re-bled the whole system and got my rear brake back.

Mind you.....I should have used the BMW procedure with the syringue.Faster and less fluid used.Cheaper....had to drive 50 miles to go buy more overpriced fluid.

And later on as I bleed the system every year I did intentionally let the rear reservoir go down.Just to practice with the syringue you know.....mom was a nurse. But as an aside I have been using big syringues on brake systems for a very long time.Big ones can pull as much as they can push.Suck them bubbles out of MCs?K100RS and R100GS sure needed that otherwise one would have to pump a lever 2-300 times to even get some fluid circulating.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
Old 02-24-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimT
Pierre and Kiwi, more good ideas and thanks. Ive been looking for leaks, but no over night pressure test. Air at the MC makes sense...a high point, trapped until I break out the soft rubber hammer or crack the banjo. In all honesty, I let it sit a few weeks out of frustration. Need to win this battle now! Thanks again.

Hey....how are you doing? I think I know why your front lever may feel mushy even if no air in the system.

I did my yearly bleeds a couple days ago.And I sure as heck did not introduce air in the front brakes circuit.I always confirm my procedure with the GS911 bleed tests function.Was failing on the front.Hum Hum....but the GS911 gives clues as to why the "failed test".

Brake pads not bedded in? Yep and will happen if you retract the pads/install new ones or in my case replace the old rotors with gently used ones.

Turn on the ignition and use ALL that servo power to bed them in if you can't go for a ride.Do that 3-4 times for a few seconds at a time.My lever sure is nice and firm now at no4.And passes the bleed tests with flying green colors as seen on the screen.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'pbegin@burton' for this post:
Old 02-25-2017, 02:08 AM
Site Contributor

Totally agree with this. I am currently bleeding an old '91 K1 with ABS. Thought I had expelled all the air by syringing fluid both ways through the system and no air bubbles but still a spongy front lever. When I looked at the plastic packing between the pads (wheel is off) I could see the pads moving when I squeezed the lever. Still getting trapped by simple stuff after all these years When I replaced the plastic shims with steel rotors the lever was nice and firm
The family history:
Old 02-25-2017, 12:11 PM

You need a firm lever at No4 position if your bike's I-ABS system faults and goes into residual braking mode.

Over the long run my system has been faultless.SS lines a long time ago. .Daily activation of the ABS. Yearly bleeds? I don't know for sure but I am glad that I sorted through some of the ill advice on maintenance from back then.Bad advice=expensive repairs.I still see bad advice on brake lines replacement/maintenance but not here.

But I am starting to think that I bleed it too often.1 yr and over 20,000 miles? All I evacuated out of there tested at <1% moisture content.Ideally is 0℅ of course but some of the brake fluids I have tested right out of the container did test at <1%.Not so my new fluid,German specs/Low viscosity (Super Dot4).Test at 0%.

Done for this year. Maybe 2yrs?I never open any of the reservoirs during the season so no moisture added.Used half my 1 US Qt container for this flush.Enough left for next year or in 2 years?Because you darn right I am going to use it later even if it is from a previously opened container.Brake fluid moisture testers are cheap.....
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
Old 03-06-2017, 10:34 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Guys,

I have a 1999 K1200RS, not sure of the ABS unit . A few days ago after removing wheels and replacing brakes etc now noticed im getting alternate flashing lights on the dash. Was told my pump is faulty. Have checked everything, Bled the brakes back and front, still same nonsense. Any ideas before I remove it and dispose of the unit.

Im quite happy not to run with ABS used to the older bikes.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:58 AM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 6,701 Times in 2,769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightstick
Guys,

I have a 1999 K1200RS, not sure of the ABS unit . A few days ago after removing wheels and replacing brakes etc now noticed im getting alternate flashing lights on the dash. Was told my pump is faulty. Have checked everything, Bled the brakes back and front, still same nonsense. Any ideas before I remove it and dispose of the unit.

Im quite happy not to run with ABS used to the older bikes.

Your's is a "pre-servo" ABS set up, your unit can be rebuilt for a reasonable price by these guys,
https://modulemaster.com/rebuilds/
Old 03-06-2017, 12:42 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Yea,

Unfortunately im in Cape Town south africa.....no such luck.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:24 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukabmw

it took me twelve beers (30 minutes per beer)to replace all the brake lines and bleed the brakes.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:33 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konto15
My pleasure! Glad the videos are getting some use!

Hi Pete!!! Hey i want to chime in with a big THANKS also. Your two videos were what made me realize i could do this job on my own. I bleed my Ducati's lines but they are simple by comparison and i was intimidated by the ABS circuits on my K12GT.

I've watched your videos about 6 or 7 times each in prep for the upcoming job.

-Kris

99/94 Ducati Monster 900, too many mods to list here...