I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200RS/GT > "KRS/GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"KRS/GT" Technical Q&A K1200RS/GT Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 01-16-2010, 08:16 PM
Moderator; ON-ON

Send a message via Skype™ to chilei
Replacing front fork seal

I looked for the answer on this and though there was enough information to make me believe I could do this myself, there was no hard thread with pics... I am a visual guy so...

I had noticed that there was oil on the forks a while ago and was not sure if the seal was bad or if it was just an anomaly... it got worse and I had my answer.

Here is what I saw:

I started out by ordering from A&S motorcycles... no reason other than the fact that I have no local dealer and due to my time zone, Bobs was closed. Here is what I bought... (I know I likely didn't have to replace the visible "seal" but I didn't want to "Half-ass" it).

I went to Harbor Freight and bought a cheap seal puller, a screw driver would have also worked though.

I lifted the front wheel off the ground by parking my car right behind the bike, taking a tie down strap from my car bumper to the back of the bike and ratcheting it down.
There are three bolts to remove the handle bars to get to the inner fork, two pinch bolts, and one under the triple clamp. You will note that I originally tried to do this without removing the plastics... much harder and ultimately it only took a short time to know that this was not the right way.

To prevent undue stress to the lines and connections which remain on the handgrips, I used a small bungie and connected one end to each handlebar so the weight was not held by any connections.

With the body work removed, I took to draining the fluid from the fork. I know that I could drain it from the plug but decided that I would just use a brake bleeder to suck it out... worked well. I did have some tubing that was unused so I used that to attach to the vacuum device (so as not to mix fluid types if brake fluid was in the line at all). (yes this pic was before removing the body work, I stopped and removed the body work right after taking this.

Here is what it looked like before removing the outer sleeve...

Simply remove that outer sleeve. Using a screw driver or a seal puller, it just pops off. This will expose a retainer pin which is easily removed with a screw driver:

Then simply remove the seal... this is what is there when it is removed:

I took note that the new seals did not say which way they go, I don't know if it matters but I noted when I took the old out that there are notches on one side of the new seal... luckily these notches are on the old ones as well, in my case they faced up.

After getting it set using a seal seating tool (also bought at harbor freight) and replacing the retaining pin. I did not have to have the seating tool and could have done it with something else.

I put on the outer sleeve. For this I did one each way, I put it on and then slid the fork in, and I also slid it up the fork, put the inner fork into the assembly and then slid it down and seated it. I prefer the latter.

Then just put everything back together... Make sure that the wires and lines are routed correctly before putting it together. Also, be very careful as you torque... one of the pinch bolts is only in In lb... NOT in Ft lb... it is very lightly torqued.

All in all, it was very easy... I am thankful I didn't have someone else do it for two reasons... $$, and the fact that to have a BMW mechanic do it I would have had to drive over 3 hours one way.

Hope it is helpful to someone!
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?"
The following (5) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'chilei' for this post:
Old 01-16-2010, 09:18 PM
Site Contributor

Re: Replacing front fork seal

Thanks for posting this work sequence.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:45 PM
Nice day for somethin'

Chilei, thank you for posting!

IMHO, you did it exactly the right way! There are at least two schools of thought on this job. One is to simply slide the fork tubes out and replace the parts like you did, and the other is to raise the bike and remove the lower forks. Maybe that's because you always remove the lowers when replacing seals on a conventional front end. I had to do the same job on my R1150GS a month or so ago, and found a photo sequence on a British GS board. It was linked from "The GS-Spot" on Advrider.com, I believe.

Seeya
ATB
Old 01-16-2010, 09:48 PM
A.K.A. "Kumbustible-K"

Nice job documenting this, thanks!

04 K12GT

Tiverton, RI
Old 01-17-2010, 11:31 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

I will be doing this very thing in a week or two. Thanks for the great pics and quick tutorial!!
Old 01-17-2010, 11:50 PM
Moderator; ON-ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobos505
I will be doing this very thing in a week or two. Thanks for the great pics and quick tutorial!!
Happy to have helped... Having done it I can't believe I was so hesitant to do it. I am anything but a mechanic, but do have basic skills... there is nothing to it...

I did not mention that I bought two jugs of oil, but each fork takes half a container (500ML) by the manual. Honestly I could have done it in half the time but I was taking my time, took breaks to check on the game, read the manual for torques and amounts, etc...

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have any questions at all, I check the site many times each day.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?"
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'chilei' for this post:
Old 01-18-2010, 08:38 AM
.......and?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilei
Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have any questions at all, I check the site many times each day.

I hereby nominate this as understatement of the month!

Very cool write up. I'm very impressed to see an officer get his hands dirty........sir!

2006 K1200R

'Who i$ John Galt?'

"The highest function of love is that it makes the loved one a unique and irreplaceable being." — Tom Robbins
Old 01-18-2010, 09:11 AM
Moderator; ON-ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaMack
I hereby nominate this as understatement of the month!

Very cool write up. I'm very impressed to see an officer get his hands dirty........sir!

Remember... I have that "E" following my rate! (as in O-3E)
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?"
Old 01-18-2010, 09:32 AM

As I am looking on the MAX micro fiche, I see that I can order either 7.5W oil or 10W oil.

Any ideas?
Old 01-18-2010, 10:00 AM
Moderator; ON-ON

Quote:
As I am looking on the MAX micro fiche, I see that I can order either 7.5W oil or 10W oil.

Any ideas?
I used 10W. I don't know a lot about this but I asked the dealer and he said that the 10W would be great if I was inclined to ride in the twisties... he said it was a better aggressive oil. Not sure the reasoning but that is what he said, it's what I went with.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?"
Old 01-18-2010, 01:33 PM
A skeptic and a pragmatist.

You do not have to change the oil, after all it is "Lifetime".....!

But I did anyhow....and found....Water in the oil. Not much, a few drops, but some nonetheless!

I was even tempted to use some of that 10W Hydraulic Oil out of the 5 Gal. Bucket I have here, but broke down and bought some "brand name" Fork Oil 10W and used that.

I never ever had to replace a fork seal on a BMW since 1985....but often pull up the dust caps and clean the dirt from the top of the seals/fork tubes ,so it does not work its way down the seals and wear them out! Funny what I have found in there after weeks on the road in all kinds of weather! And funny what I found under the dust caps on this "well maintained" bike I bought last year....!

Lots of the dirt riders use "sponge wipers" under the dust caps to extend the life of their seals....!
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
85 BMW K100RS at 28 (Very nice and sorely missed)
90 BMW R100GS at 34 (Too slow, too cranky)
2003 K1200 RS at 53 (Oh Yeah......over 6000RPM)
Old 01-18-2010, 03:45 PM
Can assemble bike blindfolded

I don't ride in dirt, but fork seals were the first job I did 4 years ago. At the time everybody said it was stuck bugs and road dirt that caused early seal failure.

I went for the 10Wt oil.

I fitted a pair of aftermarket black plastic fork gaytors whilst the top was in bits (Enduro rider parts) and I haven't seen a fork leak since.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:15 PM
Site Contributor

Since there is NO dampening mechanism in the forks I don't think it matters what weight fork oil you use. It will not have any effect on function or ride.

Nice write up with pictures.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:33 PM
Twisted Wrister

After all the years that I have wrenched on my own BMWs and other types one of the fine points that I have learned is that you need to clean the lower forks. You will be surprised out how much dirt ends up in the bottom of your forks. If you don't you will end up with premature seal failure down the road. I have a bottle brush the is about 2" in diameter and 36" long that I bought at a restaurant supply house, that works great for scrubbing out the inside of the lower forks. I use MIL-H-5606 in all of my forks.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:51 PM
.......and?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary
Since there is NO dampening mechanism in the forks I don't think it matters what weight fork oil you use.

Could you please explain this? I thought all shocks were a dampening mechanism. If they don't dampen, why have oil at all? I will say from my MX days, a change of 5w up or down can make a huge difference in how a shock performs. The heavier the oil the slower the shock moves which really controls how the front end feels over bumps and in corners.

2006 K1200R

'Who i$ John Galt?'

"The highest function of love is that it makes the loved one a unique and irreplaceable being." — Tom Robbins
Old 01-24-2010, 04:10 PM
Twisted Wrister

The damping is all handled by the shock. The forks are there to hold the front wheel in place, provide proper trail, etc. The oil is just to lube the load bearings.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:19 PM
Has "almost" gotten a ticket..

Excellent pictorial write up Kyle!
I did the same project this past fall for my 98 K12RS.

Some notes from my approach/findings:
  • I took off the belly plastic & used a floor jack to lift the front wheel
  • The vacuum pump saves lots of labor time. I pulled the front calipers/wheel/axle to drain the fork tubes. That was a lot of work to get the "last few drops of old oil". In hindsight I could have cleaned out the old oil just fine & saved a bunch of time/effort by:
    • Vacuuming out the old oil
    • Putting in some new oil to mix with any remaining last oil drops/crud
    • Vacuum out that "flush" oil
  • The seal part #'s for a 98 are dependent on the manufacture date. The microfiche on Max BMW's site has the details to get the right ones (my local dealer missed that note on the fiche the first time around)
  • I used ATF fluid as recommended in previous threads here on I-BMW. Works fine & costs less than specific 7.5 or 10 wt "fork oil". As mentioned by others, in this bike the fork oil is to keep the sliders lubricated rather than being key to the fork dampening.
  • For my 98, the 500 ml spec in each fork leg was too much. I totally drained each leg from the drain bolts that are accessed by removing the front axle. Even fully drained, the 500 ml spec was too much in my forks. I ended up removing oil with a vacuum pump such that the level was about 1/2" below the fork seal. That was still too much!! A check after the 1st ride showed that oil was being compressed out. I lowered the level to about 1" below the seal & it's been fine since.
The oil qty spec issue that I had was almost certainly related to the early 98 vintage of my lower fork tubes. The diameter of the seals for my bike was less than the "late model 98 & later" seal kit & it goes to reason that my early 98 fork tubes require less fork oil.

In closing, excellent pics Kyle! Any early model 98 owners, be advised as to some variations on the lower fork tubes/seals/oil qty spec.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Skeeter' for this post:
Old 01-24-2010, 05:39 PM
Moderator; ON-ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter
I did the same project this past fall for my 98 K12RS.

Some notes from my approach/findings:
  • I took off the belly plastic & used a floor jack to lift the front wheel
  • The vacuum pump saves lots of labor time. I pulled the front calipers/wheel/axle to drain the fork tubes. That was a lot of work to get the "last few drops of old oil". In hindsight I could have cleaned out the old oil just fine & saved a bunch of time/effort by:
    • Vacuuming out the old oil
    • Putting in some new oil to mix with any remaining last oil drops/crud
    • Vacuum out that "flush" oil
  • I wasn't sure if it would be easier or not... just tried it. I didn't think to use some "flush" oil as you describe... that would have been a great idea and one that I would do given another chance.
    Quote:
  • The seal part #'s for a 98 are dependent on the manufacture date. The microfiche on Max BMW's site has the details to get the right ones (my local dealer missed that note on the fiche the first time around)
  • I used ATF fluid as recommended in previous threads here on I-BMW. Works fine & costs less than specific 7.5 or 10 wt "fork oil". As mentioned by others, in this bike the fork oil is to keep the sliders lubricated rather than being key to the fork dampening.
  • For my 98, the 500 ml spec in each fork leg was too much. I totally drained each leg from the drain bolts that are accessed by removing the front axle. Even fully drained, the 500 ml spec was too much in my forks. I ended up removing oil with a vacuum pump such that the level was about 1/2" below the fork seal. That was still too much!! A check after the 1st ride showed that oil was being compressed out. I lowered the level to about 1" below the seal & it's been fine since.
Quote:
The oil qty spec issue that I had was almost certainly related to the early 98 vintage of my lower fork tubes. The diameter of the seals for my bike was less than the "late model 98 & later" seal kit & it goes to reason that my early 98 fork tubes require less fork oil.
This is a very important point... I read a few descriptions on the web where people got one and then went on to say that the parts fische was wrong because one would not fit into their shock... I would tend to say that they were a victim of just what you describe. I haven't had any problem with the amount in each leg though, I just put in 500ML as measured from the container and called it good.
Quote:
In closing, excellent pics Kyle! Any early model 98 owners, be advised as to some variations on the lower fork tubes/seals/oil qty spec.
Thanks! It seems there are less and less of these things as the RS get's older and older. Mine is still just great though and I won't be getting rid of it anytime soon!
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?"
Old 01-25-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
I did the same project this past fall for my 98 K12RS.........

........ The diameter of the seals for my bike was less than the "late model 98 & later" seal kit & it goes to reason that my early 98 fork tubes require less fork oil.

Thank you sir. I already noted the different part numbers and the oil amount is duely noted.

On this subject, does anyone know how early the 98 was made? My taxi has some plastic parts marked with May/June 97. And one part has '96 and a '97 molded into it.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:54 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 6,832 Times in 2,821 Posts

Quote:
Thank you sir. I already noted the different part numbers and the oil amount is duely noted.

On this subject, does anyone know how early the 98 was made? My taxi has some plastic parts marked with May/June 97. And one part has '96 and a '97 molded into it.

When you go to order your parts, have your VIN # available - that will trigger the build date for the parts guy or gal. I've had good luck with Chicago BMW, they offer a 20% parts discount, just be sure to ask the parts person to provide the appropriate part for your build date or model year...

http://www.chicagobmwmotorcycle.com/store/
Old 01-25-2010, 09:27 PM
Has "almost" gotten a ticket..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJS350
When you go to order your parts, have your VIN # available - that will trigger the build date for the parts guy or gal. I've had good luck with Chicago BMW, they offer a 20% parts discount, just be sure to ask the parts person to provide the appropriate part for your build date or model year...

http://www.chicagobmwmotorcycle.com/store/
The VIN # should be the best to ensure the correct parts.
The plastic parts could be from who knows when....the "manufacture date" is under the seat with the VIN#.

I spent $46 to buy the wrong parts the 1st time. Happy to share!
Old 01-26-2010, 01:18 PM

[quote=Skeeter]The VIN # should be the best to ensure the correct parts.
The plastic parts could be from who knows when....the "manufacture date" is under the seat with the VIN#.

=quote]

thanks. I know my bike has the Machizi forks. it is an early 98 build.....I just didnt know when the bike was first offered??
Old 01-26-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
The VIN # should be the best to ensure the correct parts.

Thanks. I know my bike has the Machizi forks. it is an early 98 build.....I just didnt know when the bike was first offered??
Old 05-16-2010, 08:47 AM
Entering the on-ramp
Thanked 1,575 Times in 807 Posts

Thanks for the post. It gave me the confidence to do it myself. I do recommend the seal puller. I used a 1 5/16 socket from Tractor Supply to seat the new seal. Also don't forget some threadlock when putting the pinch bolts back in.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:46 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Send a message via Yahoo to dbarnes180

Ordered the parts to do both fork seals.....

Thanks so much for the excellent write up and photos....it will make the job so much easier.
2012 June AR- AK RV Northern and Southern Alaska
2011 June AR- "Tail of the Dragon" N.C. & TN
2010 May AR- Southern Alaska
2009 May AR- Northern Alaska
http://dbarnes180.smugmug.com/Motorcycles

Old 10-05-2010, 12:27 PM
(Moderator) " Shithead of the Year "

Exclamation Re: Replacing front fork seal

I'm getting ready for AHR and found one of my fork seals are leaking.

What damage or feel will be done if I go on the 2,000+ mile ride

Thanks for the help before hand
01 Checker for sale

" Somewhere in all this Horseshit ...... there got to be a pony ...... trust me "
Old 10-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTexas
I'm getting ready for AHR and found one of my fork seals are leaking.

What damage or feel will be done if I go on the 2,000+ mile ride

Thanks for the help before hand

You probably won't notice anything handling wise as the fork oil is not part of the suspension, just there for lubricant.

BUT what you've got to watch out for is the fork oil running down the forks and making its way onto a brake caliper and pads - that could make for some low grade entertainment.

But the fix is really easy, so I'd recommend that you do it before you set off.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:10 PM
(Moderator) Cocked and loaded...
Thanked 2,474 Times in 1,033 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to Kneedragger

But how do you replace a fork seal on a Duolever?? Oh wait, we don't have fork seals... never mind...
Old 10-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneedragger
But how do you replace a fork seal on a Duolever?? Oh wait, we don't have fork seals... never mind...

Yeah, but wait, what's that big nut behind the handlebars, oh yeah, that's YOU.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJS350
You probably won't notice anything handling wise as the fork oil is not part of the suspension, just there for lubricant.

BUT what you've got to watch out for is the fork oil running down the forks and making its way onto a brake caliper and pads - that could make for some low grade entertainment.

But the fix is really easy, so I'd recommend that you do it before you set off.

I guess I will rag it, not enough time
01 Checker for sale

" Somewhere in all this Horseshit ...... there got to be a pony ...... trust me "
Old 10-05-2010, 11:57 PM
Debbie's Servant
Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTexas
I guess I will rag it, not enough time

That should work. Zip tying a cloth above the seal should soak up the small amount of oil that leaks out.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S
03 K1200RS, 91 K75S, 87 K75T, 84 R100RT

Old 10-06-2010, 12:00 AM
Debbie's Servant
Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,744 Posts

Kyle

Thanks for the great instructions and pictures.
Did you check the fork legs for nicks and burrs that may cut your new seals?

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S
03 K1200RS, 91 K75S, 87 K75T, 84 R100RT

Old 10-06-2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
That should work. Zip tying a cloth above the seal should soak up the small amount of oil that leaks out.

Good Idea
01 Checker for sale

Old 10-06-2010, 02:16 AM
Admin/ Site Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee

Just be sure to check it at the end of the day - I was surprised how quickly the thin fork oil worked its way down the fork legs, and keep a couple of clean rags on hand to change out as needed and you will be just fine.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:35 AM

Smile Re: Replacing front fork seal

Thanks for help
01 Checker for sale

Old 12-13-2010, 01:07 AM
Shooting the gap

Had my first ride today after about 3 months bike was parked and front fork seal is leaking on my 2004 at 50,000 miles.

Thanks for the pics and info.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:07 PM
Getting up to speed

Hello. I am curious what happens with the inner tube all this time. (I mean the shiny one, the one that's smaller in diameter). I changed the seals many years ago at some bike I had, and it had springs, and stuff inside, had to take everything outand took me a lot of time. This one just slides in? or... out?
I see there is a lot of discussion about the level of oil. One mechanic said to me as a general note that I must fill the fork until there are 10 cm of air left inside, with the fork extended at it's maximum lenght. (that's about 3.9 inches). What do you think about that?