I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200RS/GT > "KRS/GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"KRS/GT" Technical Q&A K1200RS/GT Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 04-02-2018, 06:11 PM
Entering the on-ramp

small fuel dripping from overflow hose

I just recently had a small fuel puddle under my new to me bike the other day.it was a slow drip coming from a small hose by the center stand. 1998 k1200rs. btw thank you in advance and i am very excited as a noob to hear and learn from you guys!!
Old 04-02-2018, 06:22 PM
A.K.A. "Kumbustible-K"

Re: small fuel dripping from overflow hose

Welcome Dan and quick question, did you recently fill the tank and try to cram it in the process?

04 K12GT

Tiverton, RI
Old 04-02-2018, 06:39 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I did recently fill the tank but did not try and cram it in. i also didnt have this problem right away. i put about 80 miles on the tank before i noticed the issue and it only happened this once. i also may note that there was a spark in climate change going from reasonably warm to very cold overnight.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:36 PM
A.K.A. "Kumbustible-K"

I only mention the fill because I had a situation where I crammed it on a very hot day, rode about a block to a lunch place and when I came out it had pissed a fair bit of gas out. What I think happened is that the gas was real cold and expanded in the hot tank (I had just done 200 miles on a 90F day). SB12KRS (Steve) had a get off on his RS going up an on ramp likely due to the same thing, but sounds like you had the opposite conditions so I don't think that is it. I believe a saturated vapor canister can also piss some gas out so that might be something to check. When the fill cap is open you will see a small hole in the flat surface and that goes down via one of the hoses. At this point, I would get a bit more time on it and monitor the drain hoses. It should be easy to tell which hose is wet then work back from there.

As with all RS/GT bikes, you absolutely need to make sure the OEM plastic fuel quick disconnects have been replaced with metal versions. You can look in from the right side over the crank cover and if they're black then they are likely OEM

04 K12GT

Tiverton, RI
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'K-K' for this post:
Old 04-02-2018, 07:40 PM
Entering the on-ramp

ok,thank you i will check out those fittings when i get home.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:56 PM
A skeptic and a pragmatist.

I permanently fixed my bike out of that peculiarity I didn't like at all.

The vent in the tank is a pipe with a football shaped "float" attached to it.May be sitting too low if someone removed the filler flange at one time and bent the pipe when extracting the flange/float.As is going in there for a filter replacement?

Fixed by? I removed the fuel gauge and pushed that arrangement up with a prybar.Not a drop has ever come out since even parked full under the sun.

No need to remove that flange anyway to replace a filter? Mind you I think that's shown in Clymer?
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
85 BMW K100RS at 28 (Very nice and sorely missed)
90 BMW R100GS at 34 (Too slow, too cranky)
2003 K1200 RS at 53 (Oh Yeah......over 6000RPM)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'pbegin@burton' for this post:
Old 04-03-2018, 12:19 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,529 Times in 1,172 Posts

That float is also there to prevent fuel flow out if the bike if dropped. So it has a purpose. I suggest, against many, to remove the carbon vapor tank and route the line from the fuel tank to the carbon vapor reservoir to the ground. There are threads on how to do it. Flooding the carbon vapor tank can lead to serious running problems. There are locations that this is inspected and illegal.
When doing the job, understand all the hose routes you need to plug the one to the engine intake from the vapor tank, leave the solenoid in place and tape it up to preserve it. Don't un plug it. Take the tank out and save it for the next owner. Or put it in the sun for a week or so and re use it? (not really)
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 04-03-2018, 12:57 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2015
Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,061 Posts

Could also be the rubber flexible line inside the fuel tank, that joins the overflow hard pipes.
May be a good time to fit a new fuel filter, if its age is unknown.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:32 AM
A.K.A. "Kumbustible-K"

Here's a good thread on the disconnects, see post #43 down. The search tab above is how you find things:

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=4870

04 K12GT

Tiverton, RI
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'K-K' for this post:
Old 04-03-2018, 11:53 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Thanks guys for all the input. the bike only has just shy of 11k miles on it. should I replace the fuel filter anyways? if so,I will do it then.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:10 PM
Entering the on-ramp

this is going to sound like a rediculous question,but i am a car mechanic and i didn't think i overfilled it,but mabe i did? how much do you fill it up and if i did get the canister full of gas how long will it take to run completely out and be dry?
Old 04-03-2018, 04:08 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveninbc
Thanks guys for all the input. the bike only has just shy of 11k miles on it. should I replace the fuel filter anyways? if so,I will do it then.
]
It's not the mileage. It's the age of the sludge you are sending to your injectors. A new filter is cheap insurance and an opportunity to inspect the condition of the old hoses. I did mine last week and once the bodywork is off the tank and pump assemblies are pretty easy to access.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'bruincounselor' for this post:
Old 04-03-2018, 07:21 PM
A.K.A. "Kumbustible-K"

Don't wait on those fuel disconnects, unless you like gas squirting all over you legs and a hot exhaust!

04 K12GT

Tiverton, RI
Old 04-03-2018, 07:48 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

"this is going to sound like a rediculous question,but i am a car mechanic and i didn't think i overfilled it,but mabe i did? how much do you fill it up and if i did get the canister full of gas how long will it take to run completely out and be dry?"

Heaveninbc,

There aren't any ridiculous questions, only ridiculous (or worse) answers here. We reserve the right to do ridiculous here, sometimes worse, OK??

At 130 miles on the trip meter, I like to fill it up. It would go a little further, 150 maybe, but the pump is lubed and cooled by the liquid gasoline in the tank. You don't want to make the pump mad.

I usually fill mine (side or center stand) up to the bottom of the inlet hole where it starts to spill up and out, then slowly add one or two very slow shots to make sure.

I write down the odometer miles on the receipt at every fill-up to check my mileage. I've been getting 31-36 mpg with a variety of riding, from interstate to north GA mountain blasts. I do have an AF-Xied (set on 7) and EV-14 injectors, otherwise stock.

Here I put a leeeeetle too much in the gas hole and it peed on the pavement:

Old 04-04-2018, 02:52 PM
Entering the on-ramp

What did you do to remedy the overfill?
Old 04-05-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveninbc
What did you do to remedy the overfill?

Not much you can do except jump on it and "use it before you lose it". It would only be a few ounces at most, but beware of sparks and open flames!!

Old 04-09-2018, 12:42 PM
Entering the on-ramp

So I think my fuel dripping was coming from vapor tank.still checking each day to see tho. I have noticed the engine cutting in and out of power as I ride.is that plugs and wires or fuel filter? btw,how was everybodys weekend?
Old 04-09-2018, 01:55 PM

Yeah, I believe you will need to either replace the vapor tank or by pass it. Full of fuel is contributing to your drive-ability problem. I know which route I would go. There are threads on removal.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:02 AM
Entering the on-ramp

UPDATE!!!
I traced the fuel drip to a small return hose coming off the fuel pump. I am wondering at this point if the fuel filter is partially plugged as the bike is barely rideable now. it runs but cuts out bad and usually dies when trying to give it throttle.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:53 AM

HeaveninBC,

There is no small hose coming from the pump. There are two larger, approx 3/8" OD hoses, one from the pump, one a return from the FPR.

The two smaller hoses (approx 1/8" or 3/16" OD) are an overflow from the filler assy (the tiny hole next to the splash ring around the "gas cap hole") and a vent hose from a plastic "float" in the top of the tank. If you overfill the tank, the overfill will go to the carbon can.

ALL of these hoses will crack/split with age. If there is a split in the hose from the pump that may cause your engine symptoms (not enough pressure to injectors). An almost clogged fuel filter would also let you idle but not much more. A split in the smaller overfill tube will give you the drip. There is a screen in the FPR on the end of the injector rail that could be easily cleaned, too, just above the ignition coil, left side. Sometimes it isn't dirty fuel or even rust, but algae that grows in the fuel and makes slime globs. Check the tiny filters in the inlet on the individual injectors for trash, too.

Sounds like it's time to open the tank, replace ALL HOSES, SOCK, and FILTER, possibly the pump. The hardest part is getting the tank off. After that, it's not bad at all. Beemer Boneyard has the kits.

The 6" dia flange O-ring will shrink back to its normal size if you put it in the hot sun while working on the rest of it.

Do what Beech recommends on the carbon can.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:46 PM

I do feel I need to add, if you have not changed the fuel filter in 30K miles or it has had water exposure/dirty fuel, change it. And at 1998, all the rubber hoses inside need to be renewed. Seems time for a fuel system overhaul.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
Old 04-17-2018, 08:56 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Ok so I excuse my ignorance but I have noticed the runnability problem coming down to lack of throttle response. I have to feather the throttle to be able to ride it
Old 04-17-2018, 11:58 PM

No, relax, I don't think you have shared enough information about the bike. More going on than meets the eye. It is 20 years old and lots going on. How are your ignition wires? The engines thrive on running hard or carbon can build up on the valves and cause loss of compression. Fuel filter. The ignition Hall Effect device can be suffering from failed wire insulation. The list is extensive. Of course attack one thing at a time. Information here can be accurate or not so much depending on a lot of things. Do not try to start it if the battery is low. I have owned 3 of the first issue K1200RS bikes. At the time I loved them. There are other fellows here that know much more than I do about these bikes. But they are fun and generally very stable machine. Easy a 200,000 mile bike, so don't get disappointed. It all can be solved.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
Old 04-18-2018, 01:31 AM

Something related:
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=23522
S1000R
I need a Vespa
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 04-19-2018, 03:30 PM
Entering the on-ramp

So I dropped it off at my local bike shop this morning and I just got a call that it is only putting out 30-35psi. are the ebay pumps ok to use as I only have so much money right now and bmw wants $450.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:50 PM

There are several alternatives much less money than the BMW pump. I believe that your system needs 40 to 45 PSI. This could still be a partially clogged fuel filter or a leaking fuel line. I'll look up some Alternatives when I get back tonight.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:14 PM
Entering the on-ramp

OK,so just got a return call from the shop and they confirmed problem as both inner fuel lines inside the tank bad.so they are going to replace them both and replace fuel filter.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:32 PM

It is kind of out of your control at the shop but a clogged fuel pump will cause low pressure. Pumps are pretty strong. Ask if they would check it after the filter is changed. It may only need that filter. (and fresh rubber in there)
Here is a new pump for $219:
http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/category-s/2079.htm
S1000R
I need a Vespa
Old 04-19-2018, 06:32 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech
It is kind of out of your control at the shop but a clogged fuel pump will cause low pressure. Pumps are pretty strong. Ask if they would check it after the filter is changed. It may only need that filter. (and fresh rubber in there)
Here is a new pump for $219:
http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/category-s/2079.htm

THEY CALLED BACK AND ALSO SAID FUEL PUMP IS GREAT AS FAR AS THEY COULD TELL.PUMPING STRONG.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:54 PM

Life's little breaks are nice.
S1000R
I need a Vespa