I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300R > "K13R" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13R" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 08-26-2016, 06:16 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…
Thanked 2,252 Times in 945 Posts

Re: Rear Brake Use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneedragger
Like some have posted, I virtually never touch the rear brake with the linked brakes... by itself, it has very little stopping power. I must have a very different riding style than many... at 66K miles on my K13S, my dealer said I still had 80% original pad life remaining on the rear, and 65% on the front. Recently, with 70K miles the fronts began to wear unevenly, so I had the calipers rebuilt and installed Carbone Lorraine sintered metal pads.

Here is an example of the rear brake's efficiency during hard braking...

If I'm ever in this situation, the only rear brake I'll need is my sphincter
Old 08-26-2016, 09:39 PM

Haven't done a stack of kms,only got 28k on the clock but no wear problems yet. Maybe I'm not as hard on them as you folks! Love linked brakes, trail brake occasionally but generally only use the rear to hold the bike at a stop. Mind you,it has been a little difficult to ride the bike to its real potential! Perhaps on second thoughts I should check the pads....maybe they weren't checked properly last service?? Just have to wait a few days until I can bend again!
Old 08-26-2016, 09:57 PM
Thanked 2,252 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBarnes
Haven't done a stack of kms,only got 28k on the clock but no wear problems yet. Maybe I'm not as hard on them as you folks! Love linked brakes, trail brake occasionally but generally only use the rear to hold the bike at a stop. Mind you,it has been a little difficult to ride the bike to its real potential! Perhaps on second thoughts I should check the pads....maybe they weren't checked properly last service?? Just have to wait a few days until I can bend again!

G'day Barnsey,

You should check the pads. My K12R was always services at my local BMW dealer and I trusted them. Just before this years iBMW rally I had the 50K service done and at the same time they did the rear flange recall. 1000km later, on a Friday afternoon at the rally, I noticed an unusual amount of brake dust on the rear wheel. Not long after we realised the rear pads were gone. Down to the backing pad and starting to damage the disc.

Moral of the story. Check the pads
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'doctor350' for this post:
Old 08-26-2016, 10:11 PM

Rights talked me into it! Soon as I'm flexible enough will run an eye over me stoppers!thanks for the heads up doc!
Old 08-26-2016, 10:13 PM

Bloody spell check.. That's meant to be righto!
Old 08-27-2016, 01:26 AM

Well well, quick check of fronts shows marginal life left! I guess it's time. They're serviceable but about fkd imho. I'm not allowed on it for a while so I guess there'll be no wear for a bit!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'TBarnes' for this post:
Old 08-27-2016, 05:17 AM
Getting up to speed

Yeah Mat, I find I'm on the back brake more than I probably should be. It might be a legacy thing from riding big fat Kawasakis. I think the old Kwakas only had a single piston non-opposed that you could stomp on pretty hard without too much effect. I certainly use it a fair bit around town and in traffic as it helps to reduce a bit of the snatch from the drive shaft. K1300 shaft on the cards soon.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'DNSDC' for this post:
Old 03-30-2017, 08:48 PM
Aussie Moderator
Thanked 4,999 Times in 2,035 Posts

These rear pads were pretty much brand new at the start of the 3rd Australian iBMW rally and lasted 5.5days of continuous abuse. Thanks mogs for diving in and changing them out at out at Khancoban.

K1300S - 2011 Blue - 30,300km
R.I.P. - K1300R 2013 Red - 70,000km
Old 03-30-2017, 09:02 PM
Thanked 1,421 Times in 801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
. I would assume if they were linked the rear would wear similarly to the front?? Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.. As I recall.. I was wrong once back in 1988, I think..

Different compounds. Front sintered. Rear organic.

2008 K1200R - B1.
2009 HP2 Sport. - B2
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Capt Howdy' for this post:
Old 03-31-2017, 01:22 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Howdy
Hey Matt
I'd rather be a 'rear braker' than a 'rear breaker'

Cap'n, should probably let Fester decide that one..
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Heapy' for this post:
Old 03-31-2017, 01:24 AM
Aussie Moderator
Thanked 4,999 Times in 2,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heapy
Cap'n, should probably let Fester decide that one..

Or you could end up nursing a puncture.......

K1300S - 2011 Blue - 30,300km
R.I.P. - K1300R 2013 Red - 70,000km
Old 03-31-2017, 04:03 AM
Site Contributor

My house half mile of gravel dirt and grass before I hit the pavement I use my rear brake only. Then two miles down step grade one lane paved road before Hwy. getting off pavement when meeting cages then back on pavement could be wet also rear brake only. On Hwy front brake lever and rear pedal used together with comfort knowing I can grab a handful with the front lever! Love my K1200 brakes are great. A lot of people think I m crazy and that I should ride a dirt bike,yet most of my riding is pavement 90%. I like the long wheel base of my KS she handles really good off road! The rear brake only,feels good especially off road going down hill, best control stands her right up! Now I must say at 32,000+ miles I 've gone thru rear pads more than fronts. I change pads often so as to save Pistons from exposure and corrosion that I learned the hard way on previous bikes. Big Island,Hawaii windward side where I live 150"to 200" rain a year average 80-90% humidity and Beautiful all serious factors. Sometimes I miss the continent envious of talk about rally's and being able to travel out of state on my KS
Thanks also goes out to I-bmw.com and all it's members for keeping me connected
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Piha rider' for this post:
Old 03-31-2017, 07:48 AM
Site Contributor

From my experience you ride the bike !! every bike is different, some like to be trail braked into a corner some with linked brakes just need some good right hand coordination some people do what they think is best , just ride, unless your getting paid to do it every day, when riding you pick up variations in what you do and addapt to THE BIKE,have fun and be safe whats the problem
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'greyfox' for this post: