I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200S > "K12S" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12S" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

View Poll Results: How do you like the way your S/R/GT performs?
It is f**k'n awesome, just the way it is 250 41.19%
It is great, but does have a few minor issues 250 41.19%
It's OK, but I wish BMW would take lessons from Honda 38 6.26%
It hasn't run real well since the day I brought it home, but I don't regret the purchase 11 1.81%
It really is a POS and I wish BMW would buy it back 8 1.32%
I hate polls. Please don't waste the space on the server. Please post down below which bike you have and the year. 7 1.15%
Um, don't have one "yet"! 43 7.08%
Voters: 607. You may not vote until 'registered'. Please go here: http://www.i-bmw.com/register.php

Old 12-24-2015, 03:46 PM
Twisted Wrister

Re: Am I the only one that is happy with the way my S runs?

14 months, 9,000 miles on 2015 K1300s Motorsports Edition. It's as sorted out as I can make it now, though I'd dearly love a decent (and decently priced) cruise control.

Things I HAD to do:
1. Neoprene grip covers. I can't stand the small stock grips. Would have replaced them, but wanted to retain the heated grips. $13, and vibration reduced too.
2. Stock seat. I don't know how people can stand it. Mine is slightly sloped forward, which becomes pretty uncomfortable as parts of me gradually slide underneath... And my wife couldn't stand constantly sliding into me on braking. Replaced with heated Corbin seat (front and rear). Love the heat, wish the seat was a bit softer and the heater had a rheostat.
3. Luggage - If I couldn't stick it in a pocket, I couldn't carry it on the bike. Quickly went with the BMW tank bag, which causes me some wind issues. Also added the way-too-small sport panniers, which I can't stand expanding. Pretty much never take them off the bike, and the radar detector goes in the tank bag.

I also added the BMW luggage rack ('grid'), and the BMW large and small softbags. I was surprised how much I like the convenience of the small softbag, and stuffed full my wife likes it as a backrest too. Since I normally have the Corbin backrest on, I rarely use the softbag. (It's one or the other - can't use the softbag with the Corbin backrest).

Things I wanted:
4. Center stand. I always, always parked my 85 K100RS on it, for gassing up and for avoiding the oil smoke on startup. But I rarely use it on the K1300s. Don't need it to gas up, and no smoking. Nice to have though, for putting air in the rear tire, or hot, soft asphalt.
5. Kaoko throttle stop cruise control. Used it occasionally, and it works as well as can be expected, but its shape is uncomfortable on my right hand. I'd definitely get something else, and I will eventually replace it with something rounder for the comfort factor.
6. Electrical outlets. I had a mechanic add two switched Powerlet outlets to the small fairing panels. I run a radar detector in the tank bag (plus occasional electric vest) and needed at least two outlets. Plus the wire kept blowing out of the stock left-side outlet at high speed - not what you want when that plug is powering your radar detector.
7. Booster plug. That thing really makes a difference, in a good way. The less the throttle is opened, the more difference it seems to make, which translates into two things I really like: a) low speed driveability, and b) instant throttle response without that 'spooling up turbo lag'.
8. Stebel horn. Gone from meep-meep, to a decent horn.

I guess you could say that replacing the stock M3's was also a change. Not sure you could even get them anymore, but has anyone ever liked the M3's enough to buy a second set? I really like the Pirelli Angel GT's I have on now (second set), but I've not run any other tires on this bike. I'm in Arizona, and I don't have to worry about either cold or wet riding conditions. The GT's really make low speed turn-in faster and easier, and they are certainly confidence inspiring in the corners. Last at least double the M3's.

Sure wish the bike came with a cruise control. Would help avoiding speeding tickets.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:28 PM
Smile, tomorrow could be worse

I can't believe I started this thread nearly 9 years ago... HS!

The KS still rocks! Although it's been hibernating since November..
Old 03-31-2016, 10:26 AM
K1200RS doctor
Thanked 1,047 Times in 575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tward
I can't believe I started this thread nearly 9 years ago... HS!

The KS still rocks! Although it's been hibernating since November..

TERRY,
When you started this tread, you had written: "I have an '05 BumbleBee with 7200 miles"

MAY I ASK:
1) How much mileage is there now on same bike?

2) I am assuming you still like the bike and that you had minimal recalls / visit to dealer to fix things during this period - correct?

Thanks!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
K1200RS parts for sale here:
http://www.i-bmw.com/classifieds/sho...500&ppuser=144
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Old 03-31-2016, 10:58 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,667 Times in 1,185 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis

He's been on a K1300S for quite awhile...

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135
Old 04-01-2016, 10:45 AM
Site Contributor

I have a bumble bee too.... 2005 K1200s yellow/black

3rd owner.

1st owner sold the bike at 15,000. Always serviced at BMW. No problems
2nd owner sold me the bike at 38,000 km. Services were done at local motorcycle shop, withoit ever doing any recalls.

When i bought the bike the final drive bearing failed (was failing) because the oil was never changed.

$500 in bearings and 3 weekends work.
I had BMW do all thr recalls and installed a new camchaim tensioner $270
Found a 2008 engine with clutch and gearbox (25000km) and swapped the clutch basket because of the rattle at idle. Purchased the engine for $800.
Installef a K1300 driveshaft for $200 (smoother shifting)

Bike has now 43,000km and is running perfect.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Patrique83' for this post:
Old 05-23-2016, 02:06 PM
Getting up to speed

Besides a very annoying choking, stalling and backfiring issue (discussed at http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=48870 ) that eventually has been taken care of by BMW, all is well and good.

Just for the sake of naver again: https://youtu.be/YK688sDdCnQ?list=PL...p6JiZLmBZm19J8
:-)
Old 05-23-2016, 03:42 PM
DOWN TO SKIN AND BONE

Just had a few things done to the '09 Mighty K1300S; new tires, spark plugs, changed coolant did a couple of Recalls and flashed the computer with a new update.

The stalling issue disappeared and the bike never ran so good. The tech, Jason, did an awesome job, his work was flawless.

Some day I will need to downsize the garage contents, until then, no complaints here!

hanzosrevenge.blogspot.com

BMW '09 K1300S
BMW '14 R1200GS
Holy Tread-wear Batman!
Old 06-07-2016, 01:12 AM
Site Contributor

Smile Re: Am I the only one that is happy with the way my S runs?

My 05 K1200S Bumble Bee has 30,000+miles,all recalls done; drive flange,fuel pump,cam chain guide & new tensioner. Then the mods; Booster Plug to off set Remus, Swabenmax 32mm riser
plates to put more sport in sport, Dunlop Q3 s! Love the bike ,regular maintinance fluids,lubes,pads, that said lots of maintinance with a hard to access format from BMW, ... Thanks truly to this community at I-bmw.com I am able to Enjoy My Mighty K ! I hope to be a lucky rider many more miles!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Piha rider' for this post:
Old 08-11-2018, 12:28 AM
Getting up to speed

Send a message via AIM to rglassma Send a message via Yahoo to rglassma
I bought my K12R sport with 36K on the clock about a month ago. It now has almost 39K. I love it more than my wrists do. It is wicked fast and fun. Low RPM stumbling repair would be nice, but I really love it anyway. What fun.