I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S" Accessories
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S" Accessories Chit-chat of 'must have' items and 'add-on's'. NOTE: Please use the Classifieds section if you have items For Sale or WTB!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 09-27-2013, 08:37 AM
Fuse lit...
Thanked 1,040 Times in 398 Posts

Set up for multi-day rides

I'm seriously considering trading my K1600GT for a K1300S or an S1000RR. My challenge is that I live on the Chesapeake Bay about 150 miles from the roads I like to ride in West Virginia and 600 miles from the Smokeys so when I go out it's usually for a 2 days to a week. I know there's a pretty big following of K1300S guys on here so my question is, what's the best way to set up the bike for multi-day rides where you're far from home or a shop?
Old 09-27-2013, 08:56 AM
I wasn't speeding Officer

Send a message via AIM to Stick52
Re: Set up for multi-day rides

For comfort go for the K13s over the S1000rr if you're going to do multiple day rides. Get the sport panniers and a good waterproof bag to strap across them. Get a good radar detector and throttlemeister comes in nice on long stretches. A good tire patch kit and compressor often saves the day. Oh!...and don't forget a towel to wipe that big freakin grin off your face, over and over and over!
'98 Honda VFR Interceptor 800fi
Ducati Multistrada 1200S -sold
SV650s -sold
K1300 SLava Orange- sold
Gixxer 600 track bike - sold
K12 GT -sold
Ducati 999 - sold
R6 track bike- sold
K12R Sport - sold wish I hadn't
The following (4) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Stick52' for this post:
Old 09-27-2013, 09:27 AM
Living the Dream

Here is what I bring. When travelling solo far from home I am always prepared to spend a night alone in the bush in bad weather. The waterproof cover is the little rolled up thing hanging off of the back of the bike. The waterproof bike cover can serve as an emergency shelter in remote breakdown at night. It is also nice to throw over the bike if it rains at night. This all fits in my sport panniers and tail bag. (See attached photo). I put the tools and gear in the panniers and leave them on the bike at night. The clothing and stuff I will need an night go in the tail bag which I take with me into the hotel.........No camping for this old fart after riding all day.

Dual Compound tires so they don't flatten too fast on the slab:
Centerstand: Important to properly monitor your oil level. Know how to check your oil properly and check it at the end of each day.
Oil: My k13S can use half a quart over 2500 miles if riding hard. I will be going that far I will bring a half quart with me in a half liter water bottle sealed tightly of course.
Accurate tire pressure gauge: Check tire pressure each morning before you ride. Do not rely on your TPS. If you change elevation significantly your pressure will change and should be adjusted.
Set of torx bits and a driver: If you need to get at your battery or pull off any plastic you will need them.
Multi bit Screw Driver:
Metric 3/8 in Sockets and driver:
Tire repair kit and air compressor:
Waterproof Bike Cover:
Rain Gear:
Good sharp hunting knife:
Waterproof Matches:
Rags for cleaning your visor:
Always carry a couple of full water bottles for emergencies:
Portable DC power source for your cell phone and GPS for emergencies:
GPS Unit:
Radar Detector:
A good Stash of power bars:
Whatever clothing you will need
A small roll of duct tape

http://www.i-bmw.com/gallery/data/50...13_Page_21.jpg
http://www.i-bmw.com/gallery/data/50...13_Page_20.jpg
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'K13Mike' for this post:
Old 09-27-2013, 09:56 AM
Administrator
Thanked 5,527 Times in 3,208 Posts

Wes:

Pretty much what Dave said. Owning both the KS and RR I can give you first hand comparison between the two. When riding the RR I tend to be moving around a lot so I don't notice the pressure on my hands - arms - shoulders. But if I was to ride it for small trips and doing some slab - the fatigue would show up - also it just is not made for this. No real weather protection - no storage. Eats tires - and if you are going to put sport touring tires on an RR then why have it. There are a few riders on this site that have taken their RR on small trips and have no issues.

The KS on the other hand has much better weather protection (not K1600 level) than the RR. Has a nice riding position semi-sport again no match for the K1600 riding position for all out long distance running. But saying that many here including myself have ridden big mile days with no problems. On the slab running say @ 80 mph seems perfect - gets great fuel mileage at a steady 80 mph. The RR does not get as good of mileage and the range will become a factor every once in awhile.

The KS feels like a luxury motorcycle compared to the RR. The KS with ESA really can smooth out some less than perfect secondary roads. The RR will beat you up on these roads - the suspension is very stiff - you are going to feel every crack - bump - even debris in the road.

Okay so let's talk about all out performance. The RR hands down is a mind blower - it can and will do anything you are capable to do and then some. But you pay for this performance - there is nothing extra on this bike(except heated trips) it is set up for one task - to go fast and handle well doing it. The KS in my opinion as far as a the engine is concerned is a mind blower with a little less explosive nature than the RR. I have never got on my KS even right after riding my RR and said to myself this bike is a slug compared to the RR - usually my first thought is - oh man thank you for being so defined and smooth.

Best way to compare them is this - one leaves no doubt in anyone's mind what it is and the other one surprisingly is the one that can take care of all your needs - if you want to go in the hills and dial it up - the KS is a blast - short of a better rider than you on a true sport bike no one will be leaving you in the dust so to speak. Need to get away for a few days or all summer this ride can do it.

Is the KS a K1600 - no but the K1600 is not a KS either. This is my opinion only - keep in mind I'm 5'7" and 160lbs. The only reason I would own a K1600 would be if I was going to be touring extensively and two up otherwise it just does not meet my needs today.

Hope this helped some. Of course you could always do what I did and several others buy both the KS and RR and don't look back - on these bikes you only need to be looking ahead anyway.

Good luck.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
Old 09-27-2013, 10:20 AM
stays crispy in milk

Wes,

I've done several multi day trips on K12/13S bikes and for a solo rider, I never found them lacking for cargo space or comfort. If I didn't have some other bikes in the garage, I might have one parked next to my K16.

Bruce's well written post above certainly compares well with my experience. I am not sure I'd have just an S1000RR if street riding and touring weekends were my plan. I DO intend to have one for the track at some point but my 600 has done well enough to date.

I am curious what has you thinking in this direction. I'm no slow poke and while I bought my K16GT because two up was part of the plan, I sure don't feel handicapped by it riding solo. Still, the K13S is a great high speed tourer....

Ah, choices. Fun stuff.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:24 AM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,810 Times in 2,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriverWes
I'm seriously considering trading my K1600GT for a K1300S or an S1000RR. My challenge is that I live on the Chesapeake Bay about 150 miles from the roads I like to ride in West Virginia and 600 miles from the Smokeys so when I go out it's usually for a 2 days to a week. I know there's a pretty big following of K1300S guys on here so my question is, what's the best way to set up the bike for multi-day rides where you're far from home or a shop?
Why? Where do you think the KGT falls short?

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 09-27-2013, 11:20 AM
Entering the on-ramp

I agree with bruce. I have an S1000RR and have a K1300S coming for my touring bike. The S1000RR for me is just for the back roads, which are amazing right where I live and get super soft sport tires for it, which get very little millage before shot. I think the K1300S would fit your situation better.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:34 PM
Fuse lit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jargon
Why? Where do you think the KGT falls short?

First of all, thank you for your experience and your thoughts on the differences and how to set up the bikes for touring!

To answer this question that a few of you asked, I grew up on sport bikes and racing in WERA many years ago and hadn't owned a bike in about 25 years when I got back in to it about 3 years ago. I had buddies with Goldwings so I went and rented one for a week and found that while I could really appreciate it for what it is, the weight and lack of sporty cred left me wanting. Lo, BMW releases the K1600 and I'm smitten. There was no doubt that I would not be interested in the GTL but the GT is nearly a whole different bike due to it's more athletic ergos for the rider. I've owned my GT now for 2 years, over 16,000 miles with a lot of that in the twisties and while I don't run off and leave race bikes, they don't run off and leave me either. For that whole time I've felt that it's probably the perfect bike for me since I wanted something that would eat several states on a trip and would also be fun on a twisty road.

I just got back from a 7,100 mile trip on my K1600GT - Annapolis to Glacier to Santa Fe to Annapolis - connecting all the best roads in the country on the loop. The K1600GT was the perfect bike for that trip. I could ride all day long at nearly triple digit speeds in comfort; pack everything I needed for an 18 day trip on the road including camping gear; and still go for a modest romp on twisty roads leaving my buds behind on their Goldwings and Ultra Classics.

I know, it sounds like I'm making a case for why I'd never swap off my K16GT. But there's the itch in a place I can't scratch with the GT. It's heavy, it's upright, and while it's got monsterously easy to use power, it's not explosive - like snap the throttle wheelie out of the switch back, yeeehaaa power. So in my book, the 1600GT is a sport/tourer par excellence but I'm asking the question - if I want to tip the scales more toward sport/race bike performance and ergos, can I still be happy on it on a multi-day trip? When I was in my 20's, touring meant strapping a tank bag on my race bike and coming back home in several days. I guess I'm wondering if now, in my 50's, I still have that guy inside me that can do that.

I went out today and took demo rides on a K1200S (no 1300's available) and on an S1000RR. On both bikes, I rode about 20 minutes of expressway to some of my favorite local bendy roads for about a half hour, and then 20 minutes back to the dealer. I rode the 1200 first and immediately felt very comfortable on it. After the ride I felt this is a bike that I could have done anything I've done on the GT except for the amount of crap I've hauled on trips. I'd definitely have to learn to pack lighter - those panniers on the GT are cavernous. Then I took the S1000RR out, first in rain mode for the 20 minutes of highway and the first bit of twisty work. Pulled over, snapped a few photos:

and then slipped it straight up in to race mode. Giddy-f'in'-up, that's what I'm talking about. Oddly, I'm not so uncomfortable in the position that bike offers. But, the uncompromising race suspension and the short wheelbase would likely take it's toll on a multi-day trip, especially if I wanted to put 500 miles behind me in a day. After an hour on it I reluctantly returned it to the dealer with a big stupid grin on my face.

There's a K13S anniversary edition on the boat right now that isn't spoken for. Thinking hard on it...
Old 09-27-2013, 03:06 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,527 Times in 3,208 Posts

Only you can decide what is best. Listen I have an RR and like it a lot - but if it was going to be my only bike - I would not own it. The K1300S can and does scratch that itch you are talking about for me.

Going from a K1600GT to an RR - the coolness will melt away much faster than you think - going from a K1600GT to say an Anniversary K1300S will be very cool and will stay very cool for you.

Of course you could go another route - keep the K1600GT and think long and hard about the KS and RR and get one of those - if I had a K1600GT I would lean towards the RR.

Good luck.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
Old 09-27-2013, 03:30 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I think the real solution is to save a bit and get an RR to go with the k16gt. If this is not possible, then the k13s may be a better compromise between sport and touring for you. I love the RR, but the idea of long distance touring on it is doable, but you must REALLY like the ergos. I'm only 31 and the thought scares me.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:21 PM
stays crispy in milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev

Of course you could go another route - keep the K1600GT and think long and hard about the KS and RR and get one of those - if I had a K1600GT I would lean towards the RR.

Good luck.

This!
Old 09-27-2013, 04:53 PM
Living the Dream

Quote:
........... My challenge is that I live on the Chesapeake Bay about 150 miles from the roads I like to ride in West Virginia and 600 miles from the Smokeys so when I go out it's usually for a 2 days to a week. ...........

If I was going to travel 600 miles to to get to the Smokey Mtns and had an RR I would want to trailer it out there, unless of course I was travelling with my urologist and a chiropractor..

The genius of the K1300S is it eats 600 mile slab rides and then will serve you well in the twisties once you are there.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'K13Mike' for this post:
Old 09-27-2013, 05:33 PM
Fuse lit...

That's the dilemma - no one bike does it all. Maybe the K1300S is the compromise closer to what I'm looking for but let me ask you this since I've not ridden the bike yet. I rode a well sorted K1200S today with a Remus exhaust - how does the punch of that bike compare to the K1300S? I really liked the ergos of the S compared to my GT but I didn't feel like it gave me really more more if any more usable power over my K16.

There's a part of me that wants to try the RR as a sport tourer just for the challenge of it to see if I've still got it in me to do it. It might force me to tighten up on my own physical conditioning a bit more to manage it and that's not a bad thing.

Either way, I'd appreciate your continuing feedback on the best set up for bags and travel kit. Are the sports panniers from BMW the best option for the KS? Is there a good tidy solution for a tail bag or something I can strap to the rear seat that's worked for you?

Is there any solution designed for the RR for hauling some underware, toothbrush, and my road kit (plug kit/cycle pump, a few tools, cover, etc)?
Old 09-27-2013, 05:44 PM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,810 Times in 2,080 Posts

Wes, take a look at the Kriega line for the KS. I have a full set and I like them very much. Kriega is a site vendor here. The beauty on this setup is that they can go from one bike to the next within minutes. http://www.kriega.us/

Here's more reading on an RR setup. http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ho...1_bmw_s1000rr/

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 09-27-2013, 06:57 PM
Can assemble bike blindfolded

Well, I'm going the opposite direction . The K1300S has been the best bike I've ever owned. And it'll probably stay that way. Only problem is at 51, my knees just can't stand the bend for too long anymore, and standing on the pegs every few miles once discomfort sets in is getting old. And that's despite being in excellent physical shape (and I run, so my knees are good... except when bent that sharply for hours). My other problem is I live too far away from any twisty roads, so need a sport-tourer. I only ride for the twisties, so no commuting here. If I lived near the mountains, I'd own an RR or similar superbike. The K13S was the perfect compromise until my knees started bothering me more and more lately... as well as the high-frequency vibes (numbing) from the notoriously vibey K1300 engine. Therefore, I'll have to reluctantly move a little more towards the touring part of the 'sport-touring' equation, and the K16GT seems to fit that bill. It might be too big for a 155# solo rider, but at least I'll have amenities I don't have now, like cruise control, electric windscreen, heated seats, MUCH better luggage capacity, etc. The radio and electronics seem a little ridiculous on such a bike, but will buy a fully-loaded Sport model so I don't regret not having that later . I could alter the K13S by lowering the pegs and raising the bars, but that'd be converting it to a GT, so might as well get a GT. I just don't feel I'd be doing the bike justice, but many folks have 'converted' it like that. A matter of personal preference.

Bottom line is if you're willing to sacrifice some cornering ability and handling by having to lower pegs and raise bars, then buy it. But if you wouldn't want that, like me, I'd try to rent one and take a long trip to see if your body can take the 'punishment'. I thought that never having knee issues and being in shape was enough to avoid that. I was wrong, but everybody is different. And also I wouldn't jump from a K16GT to an RR man; you'd be crazy ... unless you keep both. If you're selling the GT, the K13S is probably the best you'll be able to handle on long trips... before modifying it . Hey, look for my pristine K13S with only 7K miles on the classifieds . Good luck man.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:25 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc
Well, I'm going the opposite direction . The K1300S has been the best bike I've ever owned. And it'll probably stay that way. Only problem is at 51, my knees just can't stand the bend for too long anymore, and standing on the pegs every few miles once discomfort sets in is getting old. And that's despite being in excellent physical shape (and I run, so my knees are good... except when bent that sharply for hours).

I'm 60, 5'-10", 190#, do NOT run, and in July I rode my K1300S 6,000 miles in 16 days from Houston to Oregon and back. Four 600+miles days. I stand up every now an then, especially near the end of the day, and no problems with the bent knees (maybe it's that history of NOT running). The K1300S is a great S-T bike, and weighs about 200# less than a K1600 (which to me is more of a Touring bike).

K1300S - Sport Panniers, small BMW rear luggage soft bag, small tank bag for camera and minor stuff - you're good to go.

2013 BMW K1300S "30 Years"
1995 BMW R1100RS
1988 BMW K75S
1997 Ducati 916 Monoposto
1995 Ducati 900SS CR
Old 09-27-2013, 11:30 PM
like minded nut job

I recently completed a Pashnit Iron Butt on my '06 K1200s. My route took me from Fallon NV to Wendover UT to Twin Falls ID to Jordan Valley OR and back to Fallon for a total of 1067 miles. I left Fallon at 2:50 am and returned at 9:30 that evening. So I guess you could say I have a pretty good handle on how well the Ks will do long distances.
IMG_20130914_073619_903.jpg

I had all of the items on K13Mike listed in addition to a heated jacket liner. My bike is also outfitted with Heli bars and a Meyers custom seat. I often do 3 to 5 day rides and have found my K to be really comfortable (5'8" 180lbs.) Most of my riding is on back roads, goat trails and mountain roads. Rarely do I ride in a straight line.
1234491_429174413860237_643047741_n.jpg

New to this trip was a Air Hawk R that really helped. Usually, the regular seat is ok for 600 miles or so. Also, if it is mostly back roads and twisties, my knees ache from moving about the bike in corners. It's more the age of my knees(52) than the bike.
1237498_428765960567749_792199969_n.jpg.

I do have a riding partner that has both the K1300s and 1000RR. The RR has a hard narrow seat not condusive for long distances but is crazy fun in the twisties. He pays for it on a 300 miles day.

The K is an awesome bike and if I had to get another bike to replace this one, I would not hesitate to pick up another one.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:27 AM
Fuse lit...

I tried an Airhawk R on my GT for this trip and ended up not using it much. It took me a while to figure out that you can't put really any air in it without it feeling like I'm sitting on a beach ball. Once I let enough air out of it to solve that problem, it wasn't giving me the extra room I wanted in my knees (55 year old). I ended up only using it on the days when I knew I'd be putting 600 miles of interstate behind me and for that it worked great.

There's no doubt that touring an RR would be an extreme challenge for me at my age. Heck, touring a KS would be a bit more challenging than my GT but would still give me more giddy up in the twisties. Still pondering but it's fun to have choices!
Old 09-28-2013, 11:42 AM
stays crispy in milk

Not to confuse the issue but.....you should test ride one of these http://www.ducati.com/bikes/multistr...uring/index.do

Before pillion needs came back into the equation, I was really thinking hard about one of these. Heck, even two up it's a fun bike, though the fun degrades a lot more than it does on the K16.

Having toured on almost every bike in my garage with a plate ( including my CT70 ) I can certainly appreciate your quest for the best of all worlds.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:29 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

I've had my '09 K1300S for 3 years now. I have done many 3-day rides and one 4000 miles ride to Cape Breton. I ride mostly curvy back roads with minimum highway as much as possible. For these 3-4 days ride, I have found the sport bags for the K1300S are more than enough. I just returned from a 27-day, 8200 miles "tour of America" ride from Maryland-WY-MT-ID-OR-CA-AZ-NM-AR-WV-MD. On this ride, I added the BMW Sport 2 Large tail bag. Of these 8200 miles, there were two days on the interstates: I-90 from Minnesota to SD, and I40 from NM to OK. Both are about 500 miles. The rest of the tour was all twisty roads. My buddy rode his K1600GT on this ride and we switched our bikes from time to time. Now, this is just my personal preference after owning various bikes from Ducati 916, HD Road King and UltraClassic, BMW RT's, GSes to the K1300S, I enjoyed riding the K1300S most on the twisty while the K1600GT on the interstates. There were several sections of the roads that had gravel and sand, especially on rt4 in NM after the flood, I missed my 1200GS. Overall, I'm very happy with the K1300S!
Old 09-28-2013, 06:32 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick52
For comfort go for the K13s over the S1000rr if you're going to do multiple day rides. Get the sport panniers and a good waterproof bag to strap across them. Get a good radar detector and throttlemeister comes in nice on long stretches. A good tire patch kit and compressor often saves the day. Oh!...and don't forget a towel to wipe that big freakin grin off your face, over and over and over!

How do you strap the gear bag down? I have an Ortlieb Dry Bag I've used for years I'm very fond of but have not decided how I'm going to tie it down on the K13S. I've used Bungee Buddy's, 2 per Side case in the past but have not yet brought myself to drilling holes in the cases. I don't see any good ways to strap in down otherwise that will not mar finishes or scratch stuff, which I'm very anal about. Not crazy about the look of the Buddy's but they might not be too obtrusive given the plastic cross frames on the sport panniers.

"Motorcycles get you through times of no woman better than woman get you through times of no motorcycles"

Current Rides:
13' K1300S 30th Anniversary
12' T100 Bonneville
Old 09-28-2013, 07:10 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2008
Thanked 2,475 Times in 1,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly4hire
How do you strap the gear bag down? I have an Ortlieb Dry Bag I've used for years I'm very fond of but have not decided how I'm going to tie it down on the K13S. I've used Bungee Buddy's, 2 per Side case in the past but have not yet brought myself to drilling holes in the cases. I don't see any good ways to strap in down otherwise that will not mar finishes or scratch stuff, which I'm very anal about. Not crazy about the look of the Buddy's but they might not be too obtrusive given the plastic cross frames on the sport panniers.
Like many of the others, I use a tail bag for overnight/take-into-the-hotel necessities and leave the hard bags on the bike. The tailbag has 2 sets of internal bungies with thick plastic hooks. Since I'm loath to trust 2 points of tie-down on each side of the bike, I use a cargo net over the tailbag, hence there are 5 points of contact on each side of the bike. Plus, If I make any purchases along the way, during the day, I can slip the item under the netting and not have to unpack or open bags to store it. It also feels more secure from prying fingers when I'm temporarily away from the bike at comfort stops.

WES - I'd opt for the K1300S. Plenty of immediate power, a leaned forward position, sexy good looks and it can take most serious riders many hundreds or even a thousand comfortable miles in a day... day after day. The RR is a gorgeous, powerful bike. However, with less weight and naked, it is not as long-distance, multi-day roadtrip friendly as the S. Sure, you and I could easily ride these bikes for 400 miles at a pop, but would we want to do 7,000 miles in one trip on one? (for me... no)

Best of luck with your search. Please keep us updated on what you decide.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:00 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

I will add my $0.02 and chime in for the 13S. I've done several 500-600 mile day trips on in as well as my first Iron Butt. That came in at 1154 miles in 22 hours. Its got over 18k miles on it and the only reason it's slowed down is because I got my GSA which I've been riding the hell out of as well. Out of the 3 bikes I now own, its funny but the stock seat on my S is the most comfortable. I don't know what it is, but when I do 500 miles on my GSA my arse feels it way more than on my S. More power than I'll ever need, quick to set up for a multi day trip. I will always have one, or the equivalent.

All in all, its a personal choice and not everyone likes the same thing. I did meet a guy in Utah that was traveling from Nova Scotia on an RR, so people do it and I'm sure its great.

Good luck in your decision and I don't think you can go wrong with either.
2005 VTX1800F(Sold)
IBA Member 48556
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'cooter' for this post:
Old 09-29-2013, 10:09 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooter
I will add my $0.02 and chime in for the 13S. I've done several 500-600 mile day trips on in as well as my first Iron Butt. That came in at 1154 miles in 22 hours. Its got over 18k miles on it and the only reason it's slowed down is because I got my GSA which I've been riding the hell out of as well. Out of the 3 bikes I now own, its funny but the stock seat on my S is the most comfortable. I don't know what it is, but when I do 500 miles on my GSA my arse feels it way more than on my S. More power than I'll ever need, quick to set up for a multi day trip. I will always have one, or the equivalent.

All in all, its a personal choice and not everyone likes the same thing. I did meet a guy in Utah that was traveling from Nova Scotia on an RR, so people do it and I'm sure its great.

Good luck in your decision and I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Well I just got on my new K13S for the first time 6 weeks following hip surgery and did 150 miles the first day and 175 the next in complete comfort if that tells you anything. I wished I had the bags packed because I felt like taking off for a week - it's that comfortable - very similar to a K1200RS I had about ten years ago. 5'11" 200. For my older bones the K13 still hits the sport button with sane ergo's. A little bit of weight on the wrist and shoulders at less than highway speeds, but above 70 effortless.

I second the comment the only way I'd take a RR touring is in a trailer.

"Motorcycles get you through times of no woman better than woman get you through times of no motorcycles"

Current Rides:
13' K1300S 30th Anniversary
12' T100 Bonneville
Old 04-01-2017, 06:35 AM
Shooting the gap

Don't forget the K1200S/K1300S Rear Suspension Lower Link Plates (some call them "Riser Plates") can be changed out to a set that raises the rear ride height thus allowing it to corner more aggressively.
'11 K1300S, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Corbin Seat, Low-Beam HID, Centerstand, Illmburger CF-Rear Hugger, Fenda Extenda, Philips 8-LED-DRL, Pair of 18W LED Flood Lamps, Rear Luggage Rack, Grip-Puppies, R&G Aero Sliders, OEM Hard Bags, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn, Bar-End Throttle Lock, Zumo 660LM, Nelson-Rigg Tankbag, Fuel Filler Neck Vent Holes, Aluminum Kickstand Foot, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers, Cobra SP2 Slip-On Muffler. Color: Red/Black.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:45 AM
Entering the on-ramp

IMG_1135.JPGI use a 36lt BMW Bag for all my trips. this is pic of me on a 10 day trip. 1 pair of shoes, Revit wet weather jacket and pants, 6 tees, jocks, socks, warm jacket, jeans will fit when packed into a Flight 001 compression bag.
S1000R
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Sooty9' for this post:
Old 03-25-2018, 01:22 AM
Site Contributor
Thanked 5,006 Times in 2,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooty9
I use a 36lt BMW Bag for all my trips. this is pic of me on a 10 day trip. 1 pair of shoes, Revit wet weather jacket and pants, 6 tees, jocks, socks, warm jacket, jeans will fit when packed into a Flight 001 compression bag.
Attachment 28792

Hey Mark, are those cut out or painted on "fluted fairings" on the side? Looks real sharp!!

K1300S - 2011 Blue - 30,300km
R.I.P. - K1300R 2013 Red - 70,000km
Old 03-25-2018, 01:34 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Matt

Thanks Matt. It is a vinyl decal. I just wanted my bike to look different to other K's. I also have a Beech riser plate on the rear to make it steer quicker!
S1000R
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Sooty9' for this post:
Old 04-11-2018, 07:21 PM
Shooting the gap

The K13S is a fine long distance bike for me. I have used it on a trip from NJ to Santa Fe, and on a trip from NJ to Omaha. Made just a few ergonomic tweaks, and it is comfortable all day.

For luggage, I use the BMW sport bags and a Cortech tail bag. For the sport bags, I use Kathy's Journey liner bags (see Bob's BMW). They make packing easier, and no problem if you want/need to bring stuff from the sport bags into your room at night. They are a vast improvement over the OEM liners in terms of packing.

For the tail bag, it came with plastic snap latches like are used on straps for camping gear. I ran two straps under the seat with male snaps that connect to the female snaps on the bag. Makes for a quick and simple snap off to bring the bag in at night, and snap on in the morning.

Although I was used to the larger bags found on the airheads, I find no lack of luggage space on the K13S provided I am judicious on what I pack.

k_enn
Old 04-12-2018, 04:06 AM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:

Not a lot of options. Tank bag, Sport panniers. Rear rack with either big or small BMW softbag.

For me, I kinda need the big softbag, for a second set of riding gear. MY big ride is to take the K1300s from Phoenix to Colorado for a week or two in the summer, usually to a condo. The problem I have is I need one set of gear to get to Colorado and back, but a different set in Colorado due to the big temperature difference. I wear a BMW Airflow jacket, gloves, boots and jeans. (And I hope it either doesn't rain - or does - but I don't really have Arizona summer rain gear.) So different boots, jacket and sometimes pants for Colorado, and it takes the whole large softbag.

I've got a Corbin seat on my bike, which after 4 years still seems too hard for a non-everyday rider. I'm thinking about sitting on a mouse pad for a couple of hours, to see if a bit more padding would really make a difference.

I keep thinking the bars would be a lot more comfortable 1/2 inch back and 1/2 inch higher.

Once loaded, the bike is heavy, and I make sure I have at least 38 psi in front and 42 in the rear. The steering isn't as precise with 36 in the front, as I found out in the mountains last trip after having tires changed in Denver.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:51 PM
Fuse lit...

Wow, this thread is a blast from about 5 years ago. I did take that S1000RR off for a few multi-day trips out into West Virginia and the area around Deals Gap. Here's one ride report:

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=49250

I did keep the RR and the GT for a while until I got more seriously into adventure riding off-road and swapped the GT out for a GS. Then I wadded up the RR:

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=57223

I had really mixed feelings about not replacing it with another S1000RR. I would have too if I hadn't just spent the last few days on a romp about the Cherohala and Deals Gap. This may sound like lunacy but the RR is not the bike for the Gap - you just can't let it off the leash and it's too hard for this old stiff body to twist around and see through the corners when I'm in a full racing tuck. So now my three bikes are the SDR, the GS, and the KLR. The1290R is just nuts and probably the most fun I've had out in the twisties, ever.