I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S" Accessories
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S" Accessories Chit-chat of 'must have' items and 'add-on's'. NOTE: Please use the Classifieds section if you have items For Sale or WTB!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 08-26-2017, 06:22 PM
Getting up to speed

Re: Ilmberger hugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsaitta3
Also I found their customer service to be very helpful-info@ilmberger-carbon.de. Shoot them an e-mail with the number you have and see if they can sort it out.

Thanks for that.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:46 PM
Getting up to speed

I've emailed Ilmberger and they were very quick to reply and helpful. With a few pictures sent hopefully I will get an answer next week. A question first to those
Who have fitted new ones, are there spacers/washers between the bevel box and the hugger as mine appears to sit to far left.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:56 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Just received word that mine is ready for shipping so can't address it, but I'd ask Ilmberger that question and perhaps to send you the PDF of the installation instructions.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:05 AM
Getting up to speed

After a few emails ilmberger have come back saying it's for a k1200 😣. I don't really want to cut it to fit so may the the puig route. I saw one on a 1300 a few weeks ago and didn't look bad but I saw a r1200s with one that had black struts which looked better.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:34 AM
Speed Demon

It most certainly is for a 1200 because the 1200 Ilmberger hugger was designed for 50 tyre and if you are prepared to loose some of your turn in and go to the flatter tyre it'll fit fine.

Had the same experience soon after I bought my K in 09 and went to 55 tyre sold the hugger and bought the same for the 1300(it has a longer arm) hence the extra clearance.

Contact Nigel at Sandbar Composites and see if he has any old stock or buy secondhand and hope seller isn't lieing
Old 09-08-2017, 09:56 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCannin
It most certainly is for a 1200 because the 1200 Ilmberger hugger was designed for 50 tyre and if you are prepared to loose some of your turn in and go to the flatter tyre it'll fit fine.

Had the same experience soon after I bought my K in 09 and went to 55 tyre sold the hugger and bought the same for the 1300(it has a longer arm) hence the extra clearance.

Contact Nigel at Sandbar Composites and see if he has any old stock or buy secondhand and hope seller isn't lieing

I searched my emails and finally found the post on paypal history. It was advertised as K1300r/s but fouls the tyre on the right side. I think a new Ilmberger will be pushing it for something that isn't really seen and rattle about. Other options may be looked into.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:31 PM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bald biker
... I think a new Ilmberger will be pushing it for something that isn't really seen and rattle about. Other options may be looked into.
I have a 2nd generation Bestum on our K1300S. No issues with the tire but I don't think they make them any more.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:41 PM
Getting up to speed

Nice pic and I do like the black bikes . Wish they still did them when I got mine.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:45 PM
Speed Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bald biker
I searched my emails and finally found the post on paypal history. It was advertised as K1300r/s but fouls the tyre on the right side. I think a new Ilmberger will be pushing it for something that isn't really seen and rattle about. Other options may be looked into.

When I bought my 1200 it had a 50 rear tyre when I fitted a 55 it was exactly the same as you discribe it did fit of sorts but Jeeze it was close,I'll hold my hands up now and confess that I quickly realised what was going on and sold mine before most folk had worked it out and bought 1300 version trade so it cost me all of 20 quid to swap.

If some one has a 1300 Ilmberger hugger forsale I'd ask to see a photo on the bike I'll do a photo for you if that is any help so you can see the difference.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:03 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCannin
When I bought my 1200 it had a 50 rear tyre when I fitted a 55 it was exactly the same as you discribe it did fit of sorts but Jeeze it was close,I'll hold my hands up now and confess that I quickly realised what was going on and sold mine before most folk had worked it out and bought 1300 version trade so it cost me all of 20 quid to swap.

If some one has a 1300 Ilmberger hugger forsale I'd ask to see a photo on the bike I'll do a photo for you if that is any help so you can see the difference.

That would be great, thanks
Old 09-08-2017, 02:27 PM
Speed Demon

I tried to take a photo with my fingers between the hugger and tyre but it looked like an optical illusion,and bare in mind this is a part worn SportSmart Dunlop but I've had both RoadSmart and various Michs on as well exactly the same

http://image.ibb.co/gkZeda/Photo_08_...7_17_58_55.jpg

After much hunting about blimey with photobucket going down the drain what I nightmare!! found an old photo with my 1200 hugger on have a look at how narrow it is

Old 09-08-2017, 03:55 PM
Getting up to speed

Mine didn't have that much gap and was more over to the left.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:07 PM
Shooting the gap

I got my Ilmberger CF Hugger from a friend who totaled his K1200S. He gave me a "Cousin Deal". I think he got it from Pirates Lair (Jerry). I assume it was meant for a K1200S model. He painted it gloss Red and it matches my Magma Red perfectly.

It's been on there for ~10k miles now. My '11 K1300S had the original Metzeler M3 Sportec Tires (190/55 ZR 17) on it and when those wore out I replaced with Pirelli Angel GTs (190/55 ZR 17 non A-Spec). Love the Angel GTs! I have Riser Plates too.

Hugger clearance is ~7mm to the Rear Tire Tread. Pea Gravel stuck to the Tread does make some intermittent contact but so far no damage to the Hugger. I Ty-wrapped a small piece of thin stiff black Plastic to the inboard side of the Torque Arm due to intermittent touching by the flopping forward section of the Hugger.

Our roads in Central Illinois are pitiful too. I get a klanging sound from the Hugger when traversing rough pavement. No sound when on smooth pavement.

Having visited former Communist East Germany (DDR) in 1992, I'd say our Illinois Pavement quality is just barely better than what the Communist can do...very corrupt government here but please don't get me started on that one!
'11 K1300S, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Corbin Seat, Low-Beam HID, Centerstand, Illmburger CF-Rear Hugger, Fenda Extenda, Philips 8-LED-DRL, Pair of 18W LED Flood Lamps, Rear Luggage Rack, Grip-Puppies, R&G Aero Sliders, OEM Hard Bags, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn, Bar-End Throttle Lock, Zumo 660LM, Nelson-Rigg Tankbag, Fuel Filler Neck Vent Holes, Aluminum Kickstand Foot, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers, Cobra SP2 Slip-On Muffler. Color: Red/Black.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:19 PM

Received my Ilmberger "Hugger" from Germany today. Interesting point is that they have addressed the rattling against the trailing arm cited here by installing a small rubber bumper at the lower left corner of the fender. For those who have the rattle, maybe they'll sell it as a part. Somewhere earlier someone asked a question on installation. From the instructions (abbreviated):
1) Remove muffler shield and muffler (bracket bolt and band clamp).
2) Remove rear wheel.
3) Remove (3) M8x30 TORX bolts from the differential housing. Remove washers from bolts.
4) Install fender with three bolts-torque 30 NM.
5) Install rear wheel-torque 60 NM.
6) Install muffler-torque band clamp 28 NM, muffler bracket bolt 19 NM.
Hope this helps.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:31 PM
Getting up to speed

Out of interest, if you haven't already fitted it, is there are sticker on the inside probably post production with a signature on it.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:40 PM

Just got it today, so still in the cloth protective bag. Three stickers-TUV Approval sticker, Ilmberger Part Number sticker (KHO.101.K130S.K) and a third sticker that is two parts. Elongated sticker on top with the number 100600QX and a square sticker directly below it that is divided like a 3x3 checkerboard. Top left is black box with a "P" printed in it, next 17 (printed) and right WO6 (printed). Middle row red box with a "C" printed in it, next 32 (handwritten) and the last row is oblong for the middle row and bottom row with (handwritten) Gmro. Bottom row across is Yellow box with "I" printed in it, then 6 (handwritten), then the (I think) the Gmro. Don't know what any of this means, but hopefully helpful.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'philsaitta3' for this post:
Old 09-12-2017, 08:18 AM
Getting up to speed

Thanks for that. I think the printed 17 is manufactured date. Mine is 05 also the long number is different. Think now I was sold a 1200 hugger advertised as a 13. Back to square one and hope someone wants one for a 1200 or runs a 50 profile tyre.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:08 PM

You might be right P(roduction), (20)17, W(eek)06. Just a guess. No idea on the rest of it though. Good luck in your "plight".