I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S/R" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S/R" Technical Q&A K1200S/R Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 05-30-2018, 07:25 AM
Shooting the gap

Re: K1300s clutch problems

Has anyone been able to make contact with John/fourhundred4 lately?

I sent an email through his website http://www.vibefreev.com/contact.htm but got no response.

Thinking about taking my entire clutch assembly out next fall and ship it to him and let him do all his magic on it.
Might as well send along the new nk30/35tv-xl bearing sitting in front of me.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:06 PM
Entering the on-ramp

did you try john.sykes01@btinternet.com it's the email I have for him.

good luck with the clutch
Old 05-31-2018, 01:21 PM
Shooting the gap

That i did try but no responsw. So i sent a text and got response.
Will probably ship my clutch after the season. Will get the full monty to both basket and hub and bearings.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:48 AM
Getting up to speed

Pulled out my basket after 1 year riding with replaced springs and opened to inspect the things. For closing back made some extra rivets (tapered, direct fit for thous baskets) and 3 is left unused as made more just in case- will be good for 1 more basket of k1200/k1300.
This is custom made tapered rivets- 7.6mm diameter on a root, 7.1mm diameter on the end. If anyone would like to buy- PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:56 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecolder
Pulled out my basket after 1 year riding with replaced springs and opened to inspect the things. For closing back made some extra rivets (tapered, direct fit for thous baskets) and 3 is left unused as made more just in case- will be good for 1 more basket of k1200/k1300.
This is custom made tapered rivets- 7.6mm diameter on a root, 7.1mm diameter on the end. If anyone would like to buy- PM.
Might be interested in the rivets. But can't use them unless i find a source for new springs.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:35 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecolder

Sold.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'icecolder' for this post:
WPV
Old 06-04-2018, 05:39 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias_K1300s
Might be interested in the rivets. But can't use them unless i find a source for new springs.

There is no source of thous springs. You need to custom make them. Done a lot of them and they are little bit tricky to manufacture correctly, this is why personally i stopped. Good luck.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:37 PM
Getting up to speed

Anyone heard from John ?

Old 10-19-2018, 07:43 PM
Getting up to speed

Anyone?

Old 11-02-2018, 01:08 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,573 Times in 1,205 Posts

Anyone need a k13 laminer pack, OEM, new, $825$ Retail 1,2010$

Rats, I just paid 950+ last week on sale marked down from that nasty price above. I'd act fast if it looks good to you.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-BMW-CLU...13%7 Ciid%3A1
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:11 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech
Anyone need a k13 laminer pack, OEM, new, $825$ Retail 1,2010$

Rats, I just paid 950+ last week on sale marked down from that nasty price above. I'd act fast if it looks good to you.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-BMW-CLU...13%7 Ciid%3A1

Thank you Beech but BEWARE - ITS NOT WHAT IT SEEMS.

Says in description "Brand New, Genuine BMW Part
Clutch plates and basket complete assembly"

Firstly they are not "Brand New"

Second not "Genuine BMW Part Clutch Plates".

Third its not a "basket complete assembly". No clutch basket is included. Its the other half of the clutch. Its the hub, pressure spring and plates that BMW call Lamellar Pack.

I can see there are seven Barnett made after market friction plates. Might be new. Might be used. Steels are probably new or near new as usually supplied in the after market barnet sets.

I can also see that the special eighth plate - usually for the 1300 engines with the anti chatter spring built in is still old BMW so very likely not new but the usual troublesome plate that eats and grooves the face of the aluminium hub so bad. You do not get that special plate in the Barnett sets - they do not make one.......

....and nine times out of ten when I strip them down the BMW anti chatter spring has clearly not been working.

And a genuine lamellar pack from BMW comes centralised, assembled and ready to fit. This one has clearly been disassembled and will have to be again to align that used BMW plates tangs so it fits correctly in the basket. They are the most temperamental of things to get right. Never mind with mixed new and old plates, weak anti chatter spring and damaged aluminium faces.

So not really that close to being "OEM-BMW-CLUTCH-KIT" or NEW as the eBay listing says. Only seven frictions and their steels could be new after market. Everything else is most definitely used. Looks to me as if someone replaced the good BMW plates but not the one they needed and for some reason no longer run it in an engine.

Clutch Baskets - I am still rebuilding the K1200 and K1300 baskets here in the UK. Get rid of that constant rattle at idle when in neutral with the clutch lever released as you might at a red light or queue of traffic.

Lamellar Packs (the subject of this post) - I am also re-machining the damage to the lamellar packs and hub faces out. Then fitting complete FULL new sets (not an old one left in) of Japanese made friction plates and dimpled anti stick steel plates. Typically only two thirds the above price maximum (extra 30 for new anti chatter spring and its special plate and seat). Send yours in for re-building and I will ship it back to anywhere on the planet quickly and cost effectively.

Later edit - just looked back at a few posts from owners explaining problems trying to contact me. I am contacted via PM, email, text and phone call. I have no way of knowing if someone who PM's me has also called, sent text or email unless they say I am whateversname from xyz forum. I'm am retired and fortunately can get off on trips which is what retirement is all about for me. When I give a slot to receive and return rebuilt parts between trips it will be adhered to. Of course that is unless planes don't fly, ships don't sail or bikes don't run which delays a day or two.

Please try to avoid PM's as can be cumbersome for conversation.

Best email for me is john@vibefreev.com - might be a day or two before response. Understanding symptoms and most other things best this way if you can.

Mobile and texts is +44 777 077 2456 - answer if I am free. Reply to text once I have the information requested to reply with.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'fourhundred4' for this post:
Old 11-02-2018, 11:51 AM
Getting up to speed

Hi guys ,
after talking to John (thanks John)there is one thing I need to know .

I have a new clutch basket and oil pump drive sprocket which drives from the back of the new basket .These came from BMW and are the parts numbers that supersed mine .
If I change just this sproket ,will the original chain be ok for tension or will I have to take the sump off and change the other sproket ?
My bike is a 2005 K1200S.
Thanks .

Old 11-02-2018, 01:56 PM

Fourhundred4, good to hear from you and thank you for your keen observations. When it seems too good to be true...... I was wondering about the golden hue of the friction plate tabs. I knew there was no basket. Thanks again, beech
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:56 PM
Getting up to speed

On the way back from Dorset tonight the clutch started to slip within 5 miles I had no drive at all .
Called the BMW warranty breakdown number .
They got SOS out who dropped me at Rowhams services on the M27 where a taxi arranged by BMW took me the last 90 miles home .
The bike will be back on Tuesday .

Old 11-04-2018, 05:59 PM
Getting up to speed

I've ordered a clutch tool and thin wall socket so I can remove the clutch .
(Thanks John got the clutch tool from the company you told me about)

Old 11-05-2018, 11:54 AM
Getting up to speed

The clutch finally failed coming back from Dorset yesterday afternoon .
Started sliping as I accelerated out of the 50mph zone in Bournemouth, drove ok at constant throtle until an incline 11 miles later on the A31 I had lost all drive .

The BMW waranty is a godsend at times like this .
They got me a taxi all the way home(89miles)after droping me of at Rownhams service on the M27.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 11-05-2018, 04:41 PM

I would just use your new drive sprocket, original chain and make sure it has not come off the oil pump sprocket down below. I was messing with my chain tension and learned a lot. The Factory tool adjusts the chain tension to that when it is removed and the bearing re inserted the right side of the chain, (part you can see) is loose enough to move 6 or so mm. It is not tight. But they do not say what is the correct tension. The service dvd says to roll the chain drive sprocket a couple of revolutions to make sure all is well. (on the lower sprocket comes to mind). Well I noticed a tight spot and found the chain was snug in a few links. I ordered a new one as this is one condition that warrants renewing a rear wheel drive chain. Also my chain guide was almost all the way to the right to get correct tension adjustment. Not much room left in the lower bolt slot. What I'm saying is that I think you can adjust your oil pump drive chain without the factory tool if your sensible. Don't get it tight though.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 11-05-2018, 04:46 PM
Twisted Wrister

I have an identical photo of my identical bike having spewed its coolant onto a roasting A1 motorway in August 2016. Turned out to be a pinhole in the rad.
Id be interested to see the state of your clutch plates?
Stil in love with the K - so got.a 1300S.
Many problems under warranty ( clutch judder and hot start) so bike is on its last chance.
Looking at either ZZR 1400 or KTM Super Duke 1290 GT as replacement.
I just wont be watching my forged alloys flick round and my reflection in shop windows anymore
History:
Yamaha RD250 (x2)
Yamaha XS750
Kawasaki Z1000 (x3)
Honda Blackbird
Yamaha FJ1200 (x2)
BMW K1200S
Old 11-06-2018, 06:50 PM

My new OEM clutch pack has dimpled spacer plates.

My old friction plates measured .143" new ones are .148"
The old plates after cleaning looked like another 40K miles to go easy, they are on the shelf as spares. I was sure at 113K miles it was time but all stuff needed was a good wash and some smoothing work on the main basket edges where the plates had chewed a little. But new stuff going in. I do little city driving, almost all long distance work.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 11-07-2018, 03:53 AM
Getting up to speed

Thats interesting ,I will have a look at the old plates but the temptation is to put new ones in .
I allready have the new basket and sproket plus the gasket and bolts .
Its the oil feed that is lightly to be the problem on mine .Not sure what to do with that other than machine down the latest 2 grove shaft to fit mine .
I will send the old pack to Fourhundred4 for modification .

Old 11-08-2018, 12:17 PM
Getting up to speed

Clutch tool and thin wall socket have arrived.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 11-08-2018, 01:22 PM
Getting up to speed

Im sure I read on here that one of you guys machined down an actuator pin from a late 1300 to fit and replace the early Slug alloy bung in the end of the gear box shaft on a 1200.
Does anyone know what diameter it would have to be to fit the early1200.
This is like the one I have bought with 3 grooves

The reason it wont fit is the original was just a plug and the gearbox shaft has a smaler diameter inside to stop the original plug going in to far.

thanks
John

Old 11-09-2018, 04:18 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Hello
The holes in the gearboxshaft is 10,00 mm in the early models, newer models
10,50 mm,
so it must be machined down a little under 10 mm, if not ,it cant rotate.
9.95 mm ?

Henrik
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'henrikhansen' for this post:
Old 11-09-2018, 05:20 AM
Getting up to speed

Thanks I will try that .
Update .
BMW approved a full replacement under warranty .

So I will still send my old bits to John for modification so when the new one goes I will have that ready .
The only thing now is do I get the spare basket I have moved or do I sell it .
I also have the oil pump drive sprocket for the back of the basket so it will suit K1200 or 1300.