I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200S > "K12S" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12S" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

View Poll Results: What engine oil are you using in the k1200s
Mineral oil 119 18.65%
Semi-synthetic oil 92 14.42%
Synthetic oil 427 66.93%
Voters: 638. You may not vote until 'registered'. Please go here: http://www.i-bmw.com/register.php

Old 04-23-2015, 01:58 PM
Site Contributor

Re: What engine oil are you using

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P
Hello

Some people are claiming that Shell rotella t6 is suitable oil for motorcycles.
I checked it and it goes for cars, tractors and trucks.
Can anyone axplain, because i miss some logic there.

Simply because it is rated: JASO-MA as required for a wet clutch.
You may refer to post #199 above, it says it all!

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'OILHEAD' for this post:
Old 04-23-2015, 04:43 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

While I would not worry about using it in a motorcycle based on prior success, does it really carry a JASO-MA certification? The shell website doesn't indicate that, and they market motorcycle-specific oils, possibly at a higher price!
Old 04-24-2015, 12:40 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74mach
While I would not worry about using it in a motorcycle based on prior success, does it really carry a JASO-MA certification? The shell website doesn't indicate that, and they market motorcycle-specific oils, possibly at a higher price!

Your'e right, Shell does not advertise it too much apparently, but I just checked on the can: it is JASO-MA certified.

Shell may not want to put too much info that might confuse the truckers, who are really the marketing target of this oïl.

Who knows, maybee that some other diesel type oils are also JASO-MA but not advertised as such the sales volume just not justify it

Keep the rubber side down
Old 05-07-2015, 09:57 AM
To the moon Alice!

Hi Gents, This is what I have used since the GT is new, semi-synthetic. 75,000KMs later and no clutch issues and if I add a 1/4 liter between oil changes.....dump the oil every 5000KMs and change the filter. All good

1973 BLACK NORTON COMMANDO 850
2009 RED K1300GT
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Doctor D' for this post:
Old 05-11-2015, 12:19 PM
Site Contributor

Hi Dennis.
Your choice, Motul 4T, is Jaso MA approved, meaning no problems with the clutch, it's a good choice but awfully expensive being made out of Group V base stock, i-e ester, not "oïl". (This might bring some incompatibility issues with regular oïl)

Cutting the oïl life by 2, compared to what BMW specifies is also an expensive warranty.

But hey, if your baby deserves it...

Old 05-11-2015, 02:10 PM
To the moon Alice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILHEAD
Hi Dennis.
Your choice, Motul 4T, is Jaso MA approved, meaning no problems with the clutch, it's a good choice but awfully expensive being made out of Group V base stock, i-e ester, not "oïl". (This might bring some incompatibility issues with regular oïl)

Cutting the oïl life by 2, compared to what BMW specifies is also an expensive warranty.

But hey, if your baby deserves it...

Hi Jean, Now that I am changing the oil myself it's a lot cheaper. I purchased a Flo n Go extractor that works with a shop vac, does the job very well sucking up oil from the very bottom of the oil tank. Ride safe
Here is the link to source the device http://www.flo-n-go.com/fluid_extraction

1973 BLACK NORTON COMMANDO 850
2009 RED K1300GT
Old 06-26-2015, 11:24 AM
Getting up to speed

I picked up some Liqui Moli and changed the oil - day and night for shifting!

...to get as much of the oil as I could, I let it drain and then started the engine for about 3 seconds... didn't use an extractor.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:30 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Hi what liqui moly have you used.
i used bel ray synthetic 5w40, thinkind to try semi synthetic 10-w40 next time
Old 06-27-2015, 02:21 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKnight
I let it drain and then started the engine for about 3 seconds... .

BAD
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'OILHEAD' for this post:
Old 07-02-2015, 08:21 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,525 Times in 3,206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKnight
I picked up some Liqui Moli and changed the oil - day and night for shifting!

...to get as much of the oil as I could, I let it drain and then started the engine for about 3 seconds... didn't use an extractor.
I agree don't start the engine for even a second with no oil in it - you are taking a big chance.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
Old 08-03-2015, 08:05 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,580 Times in 1,210 Posts

So, what is this noise I hear that BMW has partnered with Shell Oil to make a synthetic oil from natural gas (base oil) and do a specific additive package. Going to be their new go to oil recommended for their bikes. Probably not available from any other vendor of course.
S1000R
I need a Honda sport or better yet a Monkey
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:24 PM
Shooting the gap

From the owners manual.."Additives (for instance, molybdenum-based substances) are prohibited because they would attack the coatings on engine components. WTF?

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too tired to fight he'll just shoot you.
I'm the first guy you see when you come to after saying "Hold my beer and watch this !"
Old 08-03-2015, 10:55 PM
Site Contributor

I stopped worrying and now use théier Stuff i-e BMW Advantec ultimate 5W-40
quite expensive:tek:
Old 08-03-2015, 11:29 PM
Nice day for somethin'

I use pure sperm whale oil. $5,000 per quart.

Seeya
ATB
Old 08-12-2015, 08:17 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Wow, an 8 year old discussion. Ok, here's another newbie to BMW and to oil discussions. I have read through this whole discussion and most of it has been about K bikes. What about the GS, or R bikes? Have a 2010 R1200 GS. Reading the spec sheet shows that it seems to have a "dry" clutch, which is different than what has been discussed here with the K's. So in reading the owner's manual, it seems to call for (though there is a list of about 5 different oils to use - the top one on the list is a 10w40. Then at the bottom, it says clearly "BMW recommends Castrol". I bought the bike used from a dealer and since then have let the dealer service it on 6000 mile intervals. I, in turn would change the oil and filter at the 3000 mile mark, at the recommendation of the owner of the dealership, which btw uses BMW 20w50 in services. I am ready for the 48,000 mile service and trying to do the services myself (why not save a little money?) So which oil? Ok, let 'er fly
Old 08-12-2015, 10:54 PM
Thanked 2,070 Times in 1,417 Posts

Hi d

8 years and counting

you talk about 3 different and almost independent variables:

Brand: BMW suggest brands like BMW or Castrol Now have changed to Shell with the same characteristics of Castrol. You can use any first brand oil.

Viscosity: xxWyy... 2 first numbers identifies the oil response at extreme cold ( W: winter). Means is SAE xx when extreme cold, and the last 2 means the response of oil at high temperature or is SAE yy on high temperature. Usually is 10W50.

Type of oil: BMW reccomend oils with standards like JASO and API. You can find a lot of information above, in this thread.

My personal opinion for your bike: First brand oil, synthetic, SAE 10W50, not for wet clutches
Old 08-13-2015, 03:26 AM
Getting up to speed

There's all kinds of oils that I've tried and used but if you want some basic advise (1,000's of opinions about oil and 100's on tires)...
I use the Mobile 1 motorcycle oil when I do my own oil service. Multi cylinder M1 for the K and twin oil for the R (older style with dry clutch). I think the R oil is 20-50 and the multi oil is 10-40.

I have my reasons... the dealer is 265 miles away, it's over 100 degrees here for most of the summer and the winters are very mild and you can buy this oil just about anywhere in the USA.

My motorcycle blog: www.airheadmoto.com

tsp
Old 08-13-2015, 01:06 PM
Twisted Wrister

I used to work for Chevron in Richmond CA. I had friends in the oil lab. They were testing different oils in hopes of bragging rights. In big diesels their Delo brand did as well or better than any other. In small engines nothing beat Mobil 1. That may have changed, may not.

I use 5 - 40 Mobil 1. Even though it almost never freezes here. I like the idea of oil reaching the engine parts quickly on start up. 58K miles on my K12, no oil related problems including the clutch.
BTW, many racers are using 5 - 40 from what I saw in the pits at Laguna Seca.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'DOA' for this post:
Old 08-13-2015, 03:35 PM
*Disclaimer below

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-RAY MIKE
From the owners manual.."Additives (for instance, molybdenum-based substances) are prohibited because they would attack the coatings on engine components. WTF?
Not only that, Nicklesil is not compatible with cheap gasoline containing high counts of sulfur, never run cheap gas in your bike!!
On top of that Rotela contains about 700 ppm of phosphorus which can cause issues with catalytic converters and emission systems on gasoline engines and also produce a higher count of sulfur in the crankcase causing deterioration of Nickelsil
Use oil and fuel that is recommended by the manufacture, they don't design engines without knowing what is best, if Rotela type spec. oil was better they would tell you to use it.
It always gets me why people try to cheap out and at the same time believe it is better. but don't mess with my tires!!! even if the bike shits the bed it looks good with them awesome tires on it and my $400.00 driving lights.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:29 PM

Personally I would not use a Diesel Oil for my bike, even the best of the world. Shell Rotella TA is a Heavy Duty diesel Oil with standard API "C" for Diesel engines, not "S" for Gasoline engines. ( http://www.oilspecifications.org/api_eolcs.php )

Without extreme solicitations even the Whale oil (As Alan - Paughco said) is good enough

IMO there are different ways to save money, not in Brakes, engine Oil, tires and cheap Fuel
Old 08-13-2015, 04:37 PM
*Disclaimer below

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardo
Personally I would not use a Diesel Oil for my bike, even the best of the world. Shell Rotella TA is a Heavy Duty diesel Oil with standard API "C" for Diesel engines, not "S" for Gasoline engines. ( http://www.oilspecifications.org/api_eolcs.php )

Without extreme solicitations even the Whale oil (As Alan - Paughco said) is good enough

IMO there are different ways to save money, not in Brakes, engine Oil, tires and cheap Fuel
"C" is for combustion type ignition engines (diesel) and "S" is for spark type ignition (gasoline) like you point to, there is a reason they are classed in that way.
If it were an acceptable practice in the oil and lube industry to use a "C" spec oil in gasoline engines they would advertise it and would fight for a spec that covers diesel and gasoline.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:20 PM
Twisted Wrister

Diesel lube oil is for diesels, who brought up using it for gas engines? Diesels run much dirtier and slower so their oils need more detergent and less anti-foam.

In the end though we are talking about wear and need to remember oil is second, first is cleanliness. Air intakes and oil changes have dramatic effect on longevity that even the best oils cannot compensate for.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:41 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOA
Diesel lube oil is for diesels, who brought up using it for gas engines? Diesels run much dirtier and slower so their oils need more detergent and less anti-foam.

In the end though we are talking about wear and need to remember oil is second, first is cleanliness. Air intakes and oil changes have dramatic effect on longevity that even the best oils cannot compensate for.

Dang!, seems i can't use any of the tires or oils from my pic-up truck on my motor scooter.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:35 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAK04GT

if Rotela type spec. oil was better they would tell you to use it.

They do!!! By saying you can use an oil that has the JASO-MA certification. and Rotella T is certified Jaso-MA.
(Not Jaso Ma 2, howevwer,which is now required for the RT water-cooled, not sure about the 2015 K, but it is indicated in the owner book)
May I also say that most of good quality oils are both S and C certified?

Now where the heck is Moly
Old 08-15-2015, 11:40 AM
*Disclaimer below

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILHEAD
They do!!! By saying you can use an oil that has the JASO-MA certification. and Rotella T is certified Jaso-MA.
(Not Jaso Ma 2, howevwer,which is now required for the RT water-cooled, not sure about the 2015 K, but it is indicated in the owner book)
May I also say that most of good quality oils are both S and C certified?

Now where the heck is Moly
I stand corrected, I was thinking K bike with dry clutch not wet as the OP stated.
I have never seen an oil rated for both gas and diesel, what is the certification labeling? On top of that I can not find any jaso ma certification's on any Shell Rotella product, which Rotella product has that certification label?
I have heard about a fleet oil that could cover diesel and older commercial gas stationary engines but never heard of anything in this current decade that would meet both diesel and gas, especially gas engines in today's world of emissions, the additive package that would be needed to cover diesel engine requirements would kill emission components in today's gasoline engines.
I just did a search and found some off the wall oil re packagers that claim you can use it in both gas and diesel but their certification label did not include a gasoline certification, probly the small print says you can use it in olde commercial non emission engines, is my guess.
I can not find one well known oil manufacture that has anything that covers both, there are however other ratings or classifications that they both share but nothing in relationship to the oils make up and additive packages.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:30 PM

Then....

Why BMW reccomends

SHELL ADVANTEC ULTIMATE 5W40 and
SHELL ULTIMATE PRO 15W40

instead another Shelll oils like Rotella T6 or others ?

http://www.bmw-motorrad.ie/service/?...bmwgenuineoils

Well, I think is another trick to buy BMW oils, now with the Shell Label instead Castrol. I've searched about Advantec oils and nothing, even in the official page of Shell. the closest are Advance AX7 and Advance Ultra

Old 08-16-2015, 07:36 AM
*Disclaimer below

I'm going to stay with what I have been using from day one, Castrol synblend 20/50
This oil shit is getting way out of control
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'BAK04GT' for this post:
Old 10-12-2015, 03:01 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
I'm going to stay with what I have been using from day one, Castrol synblend 20/50
This oil shit is getting way out of control

Yes, $15.59 per liter for BMW branded oil is waaaaay out of CONTROL
Old 10-12-2015, 11:08 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Send a message via Yahoo to captstevens Send a message via Skype™ to captstevens
Talking Engine oil for K1200 GT

I am using Amsoil 10 W 40 in all my BMWS, and the Ducati 20 W 50 IN THE 09' Road glide and 60 wt in the Guzzi summertime and 20 W 50 the rest of the riding season, changed every 5K miles
Been using it for over 40,years in cars, trucks, boats motorcycles and airplanes!!!!
2007 Moto-Guzzi Norge 1200, 2009 Harley FLTRI, 2008 BMW K1200GT/4!! 2012 R1200GS. And have just re-acquired my old 1975 R90S that I put a turbocharger on in 1978!!!!! Also a new acquisition just bought a 14' R1200RT-WC, addendum!! Traded my '75 R90s Turbo for a 2008 Ducati Multistrada 1100S: my friend the gm of HD of WV WANTED it for his personal collection, so what could I do????
OK,Ok, I need Profesional Help, I admit it!!!
Old 10-12-2015, 11:25 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Send a message via Yahoo to captstevens Send a message via Skype™ to captstevens

I am using Amsoil 10W40 motorcycle oil in the K bike, R1200GS, and the 14' R120RT-LC
2007 Moto-Guzzi Norge 1200, 2009 Harley FLTRI, 2008 BMW K1200GT/4!! 2012 R1200GS. And have just re-acquired my old 1975 R90S that I put a turbocharger on in 1978!!!!! Also a new acquisition just bought a 14' R1200RT-WC, addendum!! Traded my '75 R90s Turbo for a 2008 Ducati Multistrada 1100S: my friend the gm of HD of WV WANTED it for his personal collection, so what could I do????
OK,Ok, I need Profesional Help, I admit it!!!
Old 10-14-2015, 12:05 PM
Getting up to speed

Just filled er up with Mobil 1 10w-40 euro formula. Seems to be shifting smoother than it was with the old oil.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'skylinrcr01' for this post:
Old 11-08-2015, 01:11 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinrcr01
Just filled er up with Mobil 1 10w-40 euro formula. Seems to be shifting smoother than it was with the old oil.

Easy Sir! Maybe not your best decision Get sure this oil is compatible with wet clutches. That's easy: REFER TO THE OWNER BOOK, and follow their recommendation...
It probably has to be JASO-MA. (1 or 2 ). Your easier shifting may be temporary if you destroy the clutch in the process...

Bear with me, in a previous life I sold zillions liters of Mobil 1, good oil but not for every case.

Ride safe
Old 11-08-2015, 02:40 PM
Twisted Wrister

Unfortunately Mobil 1 is no longer a single oil with multiple viscosities.
The correct Mobil 1 is a great oil for our bikes
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...ycle_Oils.aspx
Old 11-09-2015, 09:28 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOA
Unfortunately Mobil 1 is no longer a single oil with multiple viscosities.
The correct Mobil 1 is a great oil for our bikes
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...ycle_Oils.aspx
As per the doc attached, the Mobil 1 racing 4T is not Jaso-MA-2 ( Yet). Nor is it a 5W-40 grade as required for my new 2015 RT. (Not sure what's required for the 2015 Ks).
It's interesting to see the same trend albeit Two décades later, of using less viscous lubes with sophisticated bike engines. When Mobil1 showed up in the 70s as a 5W20, No serious car maker would approuve it (except below subfreezing température), nowadays, most Fords and Hondas are shop filled with this grade...
Old 11-09-2015, 12:23 PM
Twisted Wrister

Oils usually lead engine technology.
Lower viscosity and higher sheer strengths allow tighter tolerances and higher RPM.
As I understand it you want to run the thinnest oil that does not allow metal to metal contact. Thicker oil takes more power to pump and if you don't need thicker oil that power is wasted. Easy to understand. But manufacturers need to test oils a long time before authorizing a change, let alone design an engine to take advantage of new oil technology.
Witness how slow BMW was to recommend synthetics.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:24 PM

I see the new oil weight recommendations in the chart above indicate the newer K series should use 15W50 version now. (they do have a 5W40 but have moved on choosing not to use it) If you remember when the K1200S came out the go to factory recommendation was 10W40. Then clutch problems started and they changed the recommendation to 5W40. So now it is a shocker to see 15W50! Leaves my head spinning. There is a good thread on clutches and their lack of oil flow on the site. How many camshafts out there have pitting from lubrication failure. This is the part of the engine that depends the most on oil. I know mine started pitting somewhere after 70K miles and I have always used a premium castrol motorcycle oil of the recommended weight. I did once go 2000 miles on a 20W50. Have no comments on that. It will be interesting to see if Castrol comes out with a similar weight oil for the big multi cylinder bikes.
(I know folks get tired of oil talks and are easy to make fun of, reasons to continue, new engines, new data, and new riders. And of course climate change)
S1000R
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:27 PM

Well a quick shopping trip to Amazon and here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/Motul-Syntheti...motorcycle+oil
S1000R
Old 11-09-2015, 06:56 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech
Well a quick shopping trip to Amazon and here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/Motul-Syntheti...motorcycle+oil

Funny . This oil is rated JASO-MA and "for catalytic converters", no mention of MA1 or MA2 while this new "extra" rating is all about catalytic

About the ester base oils, good but may be tricky if you need a touch up and use a regular petroleum based oil it may turn into something not really good as a lube.

Old 11-10-2015, 12:58 AM
Getting up to speed

You guys got me second guessing the Rotella T6 I have in the bike. I have about 2000miles on it and I've read that it will shear down to a 5w30 based on a UOA i've read.

What do you guys think of Motul 300v? or Silkolene?

I think I'll do my own UOA when it comes time to change my oil at 3k.

2006 BMW K1200S
2005 Ducati Monster S2R 800 - Sold
2007 Lifan Enduro 200cc - Sold
Hyosung Avitar GV650 - Sold
Old 11-10-2015, 12:25 PM

I guess I have it wrong about that chart, "x" means yes, "O" means no.
S1000R
Old 12-26-2015, 05:22 PM
Twisted Wrister

300V is great but only for high stress and short drain intervals, like a track bike. At least that's what all the local engine builders tell me. Motul 7100 is my choice for street miles. Or in a K the 5100 is fine too.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:22 PM
Getting up to speed

Some talk on this subject over the years !!

All you need to do is read this.......

Shell Advance Ultra 4T..

....10W-40, 15W-50 fully synthetic 4-stroke motorcycle engine oil
Shell Advance Ultra 4 is a unique fully synthetic lubricant exclusively designed to provide the ultimate in engine protection, cleanliness and superior clutch and gearbox operation for high-powered performance motorbikes
It is the best Shell 4-stroke motorcycle oil available
It is the perfect choice for riders who demand top performance and push their bikes to the limit and also for urban and city bikers who rely on their machines day-to-day, as it protects against the extra engine stresses caused by today’s stop-start traffic environments, keeping engines cleaner for longer
The balanced friction technology used provides quick engine response without clutch slippage for smooth gear shifts and easy starting
The best engine oil for modern, high performance bikes used in racing or high speed, long distance riding
The technology has been proven in race and endorsed by leading motorcycle manufacturers, Ducati and KTM, and has successfully been used in motor sport (WSBK, World Super Sport Championship, World 4T Enduro and Moto Cross Championship)
It exceeds the requirements of international specification (API - SL and JASO MA) and all Japanese and European motorcycle manufacturers.

And now endorsed by BMW !

Do we really need anything else? It far exceeds all the requirements we need in our motorcycles!
Old 12-28-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fildigger

All you need to do is read this.......

Shell Advance Ultra 4T..

....10W-40, 15W-50 fully synthetic 4-stroke motorcycle engine oil

Hi Phil, thanks for the information, and yes this oil is now recommended by BMW for all motorcycles engines, then both Castrol Power 1 Racing and this are almost the same oils

Quote:
It far exceeds all the requirements we need in our motorcycles!
How do you know that? On papers yes, and on papers also are the same as others like Elf, Motul or others

btw I use Castrol Power 1 Racing ( RS)
Old 12-28-2015, 03:01 PM
Getting up to speed

...I don't know....and who does apart from the boffins at Shell?
I am prepared to trust the scientists at Shell rather than pretty well much everybody else who has something to say about the subject of what is the best or recommended oil......the fact this thread has gone on for 8 years is proof enough!!

My words above are effectively Shells claims and not mine! Their success in lubricant technology and the historical use in motorsport is legendary.
Who are we to doubt their ability in this field?
Old 12-29-2015, 08:24 AM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fildigger
...I don't know....and who does apart from the boffins at Shell BMW?
I am prepared to trust the scientists at Shell BMW rather than pretty well much everybody else who has something to say about the subject of what is the best or recommended oil......the fact this thread has gone on for 8 years is proof enough!!

My words above are effectively Shells BMW claims and not mine! Their success in lubricant technology and the historical use in motorsport is legendary.
Who are we to doubt their ability in this field?
Fixed it. Now about those tires ......
Old 03-22-2016, 05:14 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paughco
I use pure sperm whale oil. $5,000 per quart.

Seeya
ATB
How do you get the whale to ejaculate ?and where does he put the money ?
Old 04-03-2016, 12:45 PM
Getting up to speed

Just filled her up with motul 5100 and a K&N filter. Let's see how this oil treats me
Old 04-26-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
I have never seen an oil rated for both gas and diesel, what is the certification labeling? On top of that I can not find any jaso ma certification's on any Shell Rotella product, which Rotella product has that certification label?
Here's the Rotella T6 certification. JASO MA and while it doesn't have the latest SN rating for gas engines it is SM rated.

You want to get really confused try searching for any 5w-40 JASO MA certified oil on Shell's website and none come up. None of there motorcycle specific oils are available in 5w-40, makes you wonder what's in the BMW bottle doesn't it.
2007 BMW K1200S
1985 Yamaha RZ350
2009 Buell 1125CR
2009 Hayabusa
2007 Bandit 1250
15yr. dry spell
1988 GSXR 750
1986 Yamaha Fazer
1984 Honda Interceptor
Old 04-26-2016, 06:12 PM

Just found this on another site, looks like my bottle of Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 had been sitting around awhile it now meets JASO MA2 specs.
2007 BMW K1200S
1985 Yamaha RZ350
2009 Buell 1125CR
2009 Hayabusa
2007 Bandit 1250
15yr. dry spell
1988 GSXR 750
1986 Yamaha Fazer
1984 Honda Interceptor
Old 06-21-2016, 12:56 PM

AK is right, I've been shopping for 5W40 oils and they are disappearing from the market. What's up? Looks like Rotella for me. I just can't bring myself to pay $60 for enough oil for a change. And, I'm one to bust people for being cheap.
S1000R
Old 06-21-2016, 01:20 PM
Twisted Wrister

Viscosity index improvers are a problem in oil. Rather than try to explain why a large viscosity index is bad in an engine that shares oil with a transmission due to molecular shearing I offer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_oil
5 - 30 is about the limit with today's technology. 5-40 should not be in motorcycles.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:51 PM

5W40 is specifically called out for the K1300S after clutch lube problems years back, R1200 bikes etc. by BMW. They used to recommend the 10W40 version of MC oils. Now they have a new oil made by Shell: 83212365958
5W-40 ADVANTEC - 1L2.00 1 $16.00
S1000R
Old 06-21-2016, 04:48 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

I just did the oil change on my ks and went with the plain ole Mobil 1 20/50 and the clutch and trans feel smoother.i have lots of good results in every thing else I use it in so I figure I'd stick with what i think i know.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:09 PM
Twisted Wrister

You are right Beech, looks like BMW did not do their homework again....
BTW 40 wt is pretty much for bikes running in over 90F ambient or are air cooled. 5 wt is for below freezing ambient.
Maybe BMW is shying away from recommending different oils for different climates?

My buds at Chevron Lube say 10 - 30 Mobil 1 here in California. We don't freeze or top 90F where I live.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:55 PM
Site Contributor

I've been using Castroll 5w-40 racing 4T. The local Walmart has Mobil 1 0w-40 European formula on sale. Any downside to switching? to using a 0w oil?

Black 2013 k1300s
Mandarin/Titan Silver Metallic 1999 r1100s

Past BMWs
09 k13s, 06 k12s, 05k12s, 86 k11rs, 74 r90s
Old 06-24-2016, 07:07 PM

Needs to say JASO MA2 in the fine print also. Keeps your clutch happy. It is also an automobile oil, not particularly designed to handle transmission gears.
S1000R
Old 06-24-2016, 07:12 PM
Site Contributor

Black 2013 k1300s

Past BMWs
Old 06-24-2016, 09:06 PM
Site Contributor

Beech. Is the JASO MA2 something that BMW has recommended since the 2009 owners manual was written? That manual simply says to use Castrol GPS 10w 40 with an API of SF or better. And what does the JASO MA2 mean in terms of making the oil superior for use in our bikes?

Black 2013 k1300s

Past BMWs
Old 06-25-2016, 11:43 AM
Twisted Wrister

Maybe this will help
http://www.oilspecifications.org/art...MA_JASO_MB.php

But only full synthetics will stay a 10 - 40 over time.
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?...d=1#post733060
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'DOA' for this post:
Old 10-22-2016, 12:12 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,525 Times in 3,206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby
Beech. Is the JASO MA2 something that BMW has recommended since the 2009 owners manual was written? That manual simply says to use Castrol GPS 10w 40 with an API of SF or better. And what does the JASO MA2 mean in terms of making the oil superior for use in our bikes?
The quick answer is this -

JASO MA2 came about circa 2006 as an amendment to the MA spec intended to address the fact that motocycles were being manufactured with catalytic converters imbedded in the exhaust system. Following the same logic as the move from ILSAC GF4 to GF5 and API SM to SN in the automotive side of motor oils for gasoline engines, MA to MA2 entails a reduction in the level of key anti-wear additives in the oil, namely Phosphorus and Zinc. An MA oil will tend to have more Phos/Zinc anti-wear additive by ppm count than an MA2 oil.

The MA class also addressed the problem of the same oil for the engine and tranny. JASO 2 may be better for the cats but not better for the long term wear of the engine.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
DOA