I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S" Accessories
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S" Accessories Chit-chat of 'must have' items and 'add-on's'. NOTE: Please use the Classifieds section if you have items For Sale or WTB!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 08-19-2013, 09:41 AM
Living the Dream

Kontour Seat Pics -K1300S

I hated the factory seat on my K1300S, no need to go into the ball crushing details. I upgraded to a Sargent Seat seeing a dramatic improvement. I put 7000km on the Sargent including a number of 10 hour days in the saddle. I found myself shifting around quite a bit after a few hours of riding. Tolerable but I thought I could do better.

Here are photos of my new Kontour seat. I took it out for a 3 hour ride yesterday in 80 deg F weather. For me it is as much an improvement over the Sargent as the Sargent was over stock. This is an extremely comfortable seat. Plush but very supportive at the same time.

I had Ron make the magnum design for big guys, I also had him move the pillion seat back 1 inch. I like the stock height so I left that unchanged, however he can raise or lower the seat if you want. The seat has a lot more room on it. It is also cool, the outer mesh fabric allows air to circulate between your butt and the foam underneath. It actually works.

I will add that the service I got from Ron was top notch. Whenever I sent him an email he was back within hours or even minutes. I sent him the seat, he gave me a build date and that is how it went down, no drama.

Can't wait to get it out on my 4000km trip I am planning next month. When I am done I will provide a long term update.

The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'K13Mike' for this post:
Old 08-19-2013, 06:19 PM
Twisted Wrister

Send a message via AIM to RandomWalker Send a message via MSN to RandomWalker
Re: Kontour Seat Pics -K1300S

Looks very nice and supremely comfy. Are those stock handle bars?
Old 08-20-2013, 12:04 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

That looks really comfortable!
Old 08-25-2013, 01:58 AM
Getting up to speed

What did you do with your sargent seat? I have no real complaints with my seat after a few long days in the saddle but have thought of picking up a sargent seat to try out
Old 08-25-2013, 10:53 AM
Living the Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by plum
What did you do with your sargent seat? I have no real complaints with my seat after a few long days in the saddle but have thought of picking up a sargent seat to try out

I was thinking that I might get the pod for the Sargent and use it for for local rides and just use the KonTour for travelling. IMO the Sargent with the POD is one cool looking unit.

If you were in Calgary I would let you try it out.

While the Sargent is a big improvement over stock it is very firm and does cause pressure points. The big difference between it and the Kontour is that the KonTour is fairly plush but stable and supportive at the same time.

The firmness and smoothness of the Sargent makes it a great seat for moving around a lot in the twisties. I have not had the KonTour out into a serious set of twisties yet, I expect it will take some adaptation as it has a fairly grippy fabric which holds you in place.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:54 AM
Living the Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomWalker
Looks very nice and supremely comfy. Are those stock handle bars?

Nope, they are helibars.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:01 PM
Site Contributor

That is one Butt-Ugly seat.
2005 Ducati 999-The I-talian Mistress-sold but missed
2004 KGT, Gen 1, Orient Blue
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'pmorritt' for this post:
Old 08-25-2013, 07:21 PM
Living the Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmorritt

Wait until you see it with the floor boards, I'll PM you
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'K13Mike' for this post:
Old 08-25-2013, 10:30 PM
Getting up to speed

I I was closer I would take you up on that! A seat is something I have thought of off an on but in reality I never found the stock seat that bad (I have been riding superbikes up until the K...Ducati 1098 was my last..) I did a 4k ride to the east coast this summer and had no big issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K13Mike
I was thinking that I might get the pod for the Sargent and use it for for local rides and just use the KonTour for travelling. IMO the Sargent with the POD is one cool looking unit.

If you were in Calgary I would let you try it out.

While the Sargent is a big improvement over stock it is very firm and does cause pressure points. The big difference between it and the Kontour is that the KonTour is fairly plush but stable and supportive at the same time.

The firmness and smoothness of the Sargent makes it a great seat for moving around a lot in the twisties. I have not had the KonTour out into a serious set of twisties yet, I expect it will take some adaptation as it has a fairly grippy fabric which holds you in place.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:34 AM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,816 Times in 2,085 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plum
I I was closer I would take you up on that! A seat is something I have thought of off an on but in reality I never found the stock seat that bad (I have been riding superbikes up until the K...Ducati 1098 was my last..) I did a 4k ride to the east coast this summer and had no big issues.
Well shit, the KS seat has got to be more comfortable than the 1098 seat! No wonder why it doesn't bother you!

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 08-26-2013, 12:35 AM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,816 Times in 2,085 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmorritt
It looks just like a RDL, except for the fabric.

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'jargon' for this post:
Old 09-15-2013, 03:40 PM
Remembered Member

I also have Heli-Bars and notice the pressure points with my Sargent Seat. I've been considering the Kon-Tour for its cooling properties as much as the relief of the pressure points. Your review and pictures make my decision a little easier.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:15 PM
Living the Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jefe
I also have Heli-Bars and notice the pressure points with my Sargent Seat. I've been considering the Kon-Tour for its cooling properties as much as the relief of the pressure points. Your review and pictures make my decision a little easier.

Last week I did 5 back to back 700km/430mi days on the Kontour seat. I rode continuously for a full tank of gas a number of times. Zero pressure points. I could not be happier.

Also the mesh fabric does function as advertized. On one of the days I spent a good 5 hours in the saddle in 35c/95f temperatures. I never got the dreaded monkey butt that i would certainly get in a conventionally covered seat.

I am a big guy so Ron had them make me a "magnum" fit and as I am a solo rider I had the pillion moved back 1 inch to give me more room (1" is as far back as he can go). I had the height left at the stock level.

Also although the entire seat has been covered with the mesh fabric the pillion still has the stock foam under it on mine to save a few bucks.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'K13Mike' for this post:
Old 04-13-2016, 01:29 PM
Shooting the gap

I just bought a "used" Kontour seat off another forum member. I say used because the did put it in their bike, but other than a ride around the block it has no miles on it. It's the standard build, so it looks stock other than the mesh cover. It's everything I expected. I just took a short ride and it feels way better than the stock seat ever did. It was a little difficult to get it to latch, but I had that problem with the stock seat when it was new. The other issue is that it has negatively affected my reverse gear. I only have a 30" inseam and hadn't realized how much the foam on the stock seat had collapsed. So now I can only get tippy toes down where before I was on the balls of my feet. I'm gonna give it time to break in before I consider sending it in to have it cut down. Probably won't ever do it because the K1300S is really only supposed to go in one direction. I can't wait till I can report after putting some real miles on. I expect to be disappointed that the gas tank is empty, rather than relieved that I can stop and give my ass a break from the seat.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'cstumpf750' for this post:
Old 04-13-2016, 04:22 PM
Entering the on-ramp

sorry for the off topic question.

Which is the model/brand of the windshield?
Old 04-14-2016, 12:45 PM
Twisted Wrister

Good to read "stock" aftermarket seats are working.
If you want the best seat possible, do your homework about seat options (or ask me). Plan your colors. Plan your firmness.
Then head over to Corbin. Plan on a full day as it takes that long to custom fit a seat. They shave foam, have you ride, shave a little more, more riding - repeat until perfect. They also fill foam in if needed, but that is rare as their foam blank is made to be shaped. For softness they have three foam cover options - or none at all if you like iron butt hard.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'DOA' for this post:
Old 05-13-2016, 04:40 PM
Shooting the gap

A further update on my Kontour seat experience. The seat height issue I mentioned is because I was a dumbass and didn't notice I didn't get the front bobbins in the slots, so the seat was on top of them which raised the height. Got that fixed. I did a couple hours on the bike yesterday and I'm happy to report no complaints from my butt at all. On the stock seat I'm looking to stop after 30 min. After an hour and then some time off the bike with the stock seat I'd have to talk myself into getting back on. This is definitely and all day seat. I may send it in to have it resculpted so that I don't slide into the tank. It has a definite slop to it. But I like it, or rather I should say my butt likes it.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'cstumpf750' for this post:
Old 05-13-2016, 09:03 PM
Zealot of Beer

Thanks for posting the update. I'm really leaning towards a Kontour and glad I didn't pull the trigger on a Sargent last November. But I also really liked the Corbin on my Bandit; it was hard as a rock but sculpted nicely. The Kontours and the Russells appear to have a bulge in the middle that looks like it might crowd the jewels. The Corbin is a saucer.

This would be my most expensive upgrade to date, but I'd really like more endurance on my K13S.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:33 PM
Twisted Wrister

So I repeat myself....
Corbin comes hard stock, but they will add a layer of soft foam if asked. No increase in price.
I was at Corbin Last Saturday to show a Saints and Sinners rider how to get a good fit. This guy is pretty short and rides a Harley. Corbin had to extend the front of the seat 4" up the tank to get the look and fit he wanted. No extra charge. He went with 3/4" soft foam over the custom designed seat. Too mushy for me, but he loves it.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:32 AM
Shooting the gap

Corbin's are great if you live near the factory. I've had them on other bikes. Wanted something different and better this time. So far my butt likes the kontour better than any other seat on any other bike. I'll report back after I've done a much longer ride.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:52 AM
Getting up to speed

Any more info about kontour seats?

If I understood it right, it's necessary to send them your OEM seat so they can upgrade it?
Old 09-27-2016, 10:40 AM
Shooting the gap

I just rode about 720 miles in a single day to my brother's place. The kontour seat was fantastic. No hotspots or butt burn. I never once had to talk myself into getting back on the bike because my ass hurt so bad. So I'm very happy.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'cstumpf750' for this post:
Old 11-10-2016, 06:13 AM
Getting up to speed

Any more info?
What about riding in cold days or rain rides?

total price of the seat as well?
Old 11-10-2016, 10:38 AM
Shooting the gap

I bought mine off the forum here for $350. It was in unused condition. I do know you need to send Kontour a stock, unmolested seat as a starting point. As for rain, I rode through 4-5 hours of rain at night, temps were in the mid to upper 40s Fahrenheit. Didn't have any problems with comfort or anything else in regards to the seat on what was 14.5 hours of road time including stops over 720 miles.
DOA
Old 11-10-2016, 12:52 PM
Twisted Wrister

Mind weighing it?
One problem with Corbin is they are heavy. My solo seat weighs slightly more than the stock double.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:07 AM
Shooting the gap

Don't have a scale, but it doesn't feel any heavier than the stock seat.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:48 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furystorm
Any more info?
What about riding in cold days or rain rides?

total price of the seat as well?

I sent my original seat off to be rebuilt and 'modified' via an ebay merchant.
Fitted with a new cover and foam, I opted for the red piping, white stitching and the K1300s logo.
The seat is now much more comfortable and the pillion has been made to be more 'level' rather than the original sloping forward, I also opted for a heated seat which has two heat settings.
The total cost was £150 (British pounds) and £30 of that was for the optional heated seat.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bmw-K-1200...YAAMXQWnVR5nee
Old 12-17-2016, 02:52 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Had one on my K1600. Loved it! Best seat there is when the weather is hot.

GT
Old 12-17-2016, 05:30 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomato
Had one on my K1600. Loved it! Best seat there is when the weather is hot.

GT
and when it's not?
Old 12-17-2016, 07:26 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Let me help ya out. Great seat all the time!

GT
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'gomato' for this post:
Old 12-24-2016, 05:58 PM
Getting up to speed

Fitted with a new cover and foam, I opted for the red piping, white stitching and the K1300s logo.
The seat is now much more comfortable and the pillion has been made to be more 'level' rather than the original sloping forward, I also opted for a heated seat which has two heat settings.
The total cost was £150 (British pounds) and £30 of that was for the optional heated seat.

Pleased with the result
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_seat.jpg (86.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg rsz_1bike.jpg (372.4 KB, 23 views)
Old 12-25-2016, 12:23 AM
The Other White Meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by panason1c

Pleased with the result

Beautiful. I wish we had someone here who could do that quality of work.
'04 Ducati 1000DS SS
'05 Ducati ST3
'06 K1200S (bumblebee)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'spanky' for this post:
Old 12-25-2016, 05:06 AM
Getting up to speed

Just wondering, how do I post a pic that immediately opens up full size (as the pics at the top of this page) and not as a thumbnail, as mine are?
Regards
Old 12-25-2016, 06:55 AM
Getting up to speed

and use image hosts like imgur.com
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Furystorm' for this post:
Old 12-25-2016, 07:02 AM
Getting up to speed

btw, looking at all pictures, it looks like "magnum" design is a must for Kontour seat, otherwise it looks not that comfortable and cool
Old 12-25-2016, 07:11 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by panason1c

Pleased with the result
about your seat - it looks nice, but there're too many seams on sitting (center) area of your seat. they may be worn out pretty fast
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Furystorm' for this post:
Old 12-25-2016, 07:21 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furystorm
about your seat - it looks nice, but there're too many seams on sitting (center) area of your seat. they may be worn out pretty fast

Fair point!, I'll keep an eye on that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_seat_2.jpg (366.6 KB, 16 views)