I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300GT > "K13GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13GT" Technical Q&A K1300GT- Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 09-28-2016, 01:20 PM
Getting up to speed

URGENT NEED

Getting ready for a long ride... my oil was down about 1/2 qt (checked cold on center stand). So I brought it to full. Road today - seemed fine.

My mother backed out and hit the front of the bike hard... it did not go down. But when I moved it - it is spraying oil from the area near the oil filter. Best I can tell it is coming from the small black tube in that area.

Did I overfill the reservoir?

Did that bump do something?

Or is it something unrelated and just happened by chance at the same time.

Any advice is greatly appreciated because I do not know what to do from here.

Thanks!
Chris
Old 09-28-2016, 01:27 PM
Getting up to speed

Re: URGENT NEED

I just started it again... to get a better look... and oil is not coming from the hose. It is spurting all over from that general direction and appears to be oil filter.

How would the oil filter loose it's seal? Could the system have too much pressure if I over filled it?

Could the bump have done something?

I'm going now to remove the fairing to have a better look.

Thanks for any help.
Chris
Old 09-28-2016, 01:59 PM
Getting up to speed

OK - I found the problem... when my mom back into the front end it put enough pressure on the side stand to bend it into the oil filter and puncture the oil filter.

So, now I need the star tool to take off linkage - any advice on where to buy this?

I need an oil filter - gonna order a KN-160

Then I need to bend the linkage bracket back - should I take bracket to machine shop.

Yikes!
Old 09-28-2016, 03:18 PM
Getting up to speed

id get a new or used stand..if the welder doesn't get it right its gonna be hell to get it up correctly
Old 09-28-2016, 03:28 PM
Shooting the gap

I would get her insurance information and submit a claim

"Star tool" can be purchased at most autoparts stores if you are talking about a Torx, or internal star on the bolt. Autozone has a good selection. If it's the external star a 12 point socket will fit, or Lowe's carries the dual metric/standard socket sets that fit those very well.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'rpeck' for this post:
Old 09-28-2016, 05:09 PM
Getting up to speed

file a claim against ur mom :{ im sure theres a deductible involved, cheaper to replace the stand,,,,U don't want to get ur mom pissed.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:48 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by barncobob
file a claim against ur mom :{ im sure theres a deductible involved, cheaper to replace the stand,,,,U don't want to get ur mom pissed.
I was being facetious
Old 09-28-2016, 07:26 PM
Getting up to speed

Thanks guys!
Got a star tool... it broke... got some star sockets... so ready to get at it again. Once I get it off I'll take a look but it only needs to bend about 1/4". I spoke to a BMW mechanic... he actually suggested trying to bend it... said it would take him 3+ weeks to order one. So, I'm gonna try - - - we will see. I ordered the KN filter. Planning for a ride next week so I hope I can get it going.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 09-28-2016, 08:00 PM
Shooting the gap

I'm assuming you are talking about the center stand that got bent, and needs fixed? If so, the primary bolts use loctite, may need to heat them to avoid stripping the bolts, breaking another tool or stripping the screw heads.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:03 PM
Getting up to speed

No it is the side stand - it bent into the bike and punctured the oil filter. I am really surprised it did this and the bike did not fall over.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:50 PM
Site Contributor

The side stand is attached to the frame at a spot that has been known to crack.

Carefully check the frame. If it's cracked, then an insurance claim might not be a crazy idea...
Old 09-28-2016, 09:01 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw
The side stand is attached to the frame at a spot that has been known to crack.

Carefully check the frame. If it's cracked, then an insurance claim might not be a crazy idea...

Don't pillage your moms insurance bill though, take one for the team and say you did it. Assuming you have full coverage.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:22 PM
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrrsal
OK - I found the problem... when my mom back into the front end it put enough pressure on the side stand to bend it into the oil filter and puncture the oil filter.

So, now I need the star tool to take off linkage - any advice on where to buy this?

I need an oil filter - gonna order a KN-160

Then I need to bend the linkage bracket back - should I take bracket to machine shop.

Yikes!

Hi Chris

All about K1300GT oil change here, in this thread:
K1300 ENGINE OIL CHANGE - HOW TO http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=53144
Old 09-29-2016, 07:29 AM
Getting up to speed

I've got to travel today... when I return I will finish removing the bracket for the sidestand... I will inspect the frame. It is possible the frame bent. My hope is that the bracket is bent... or if I bend the bracket 1/4" it will solve the problem - providing the frame is not bent. It is hard to know without being able to compare it to one that is not bent.

Thanks for the advice.
I will keep you posted.
Chris
Old 09-29-2016, 09:31 AM
Getting up to speed

Can anyone send me a photo of the area right in front of the oil filter looking down where I can see the kickstand bracket and the frame (K1300GT)? Or if you know where I can look at this angle online (can you send the link)?

If I can see a photo how it is suppose to look it will be easier to discern if my frame is bent.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 09-29-2016, 10:14 AM
Getting up to speed

maybe look at ebay, there are frames pictured there, might have photo of what ur looking for
Old 09-29-2016, 10:23 AM
Site Contributor

There are a handful of threads here and on the net about this. Google is your friend.
But can't find a pic at the moment.

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=54946
Old 09-29-2016, 11:13 PM
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote:
Can anyone send me a photo of the area right in front of the oil filter looking down where I can see the kickstand bracket and the frame (K1300GT)? Or if you know where I can look at this angle online (can you send the link)?

If I can see a photo how it is suppose to look it will be easier to discern if my frame is bent.

Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris

In the same thread I mentioned above K1300 ENGINE OIL CHANGE - HOW TO http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=53144

Post #30 you have pics, thank to Dennis - Doctor D
Old 09-30-2016, 03:14 PM
Getting up to speed

Tough luck, man. Be aware that you will likely need to heat the shift linkage fasteners to loosen the thread locker. Some unfortunate souls have destroyed the Torx screws holding the linkage with excessive force. A shorter filter is available from both BMW and the aftermarket which can be removed and replaced without messing with the shift linkage.

Gone but not forgotten:

Norton Atlas
R60/5
Moto Guzzi V7 Sport
R90S X 2
Moto Guzzi Le Mans
Yam FJ1100
Ducati Laguna Seca
R1100RSL
R1100S BCR
R1200RT
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'dlong0609' for this post:
Old 09-30-2016, 06:01 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlong0609
Tough luck, man. Be aware that you will likely need to heat the shift linkage fasteners to loosen the thread locker. Some unfortunate souls have destroyed the Torx screws holding the linkage with excessive force. A shorter filter is available from both BMW and the aftermarket which can be removed and replaced without messing with the shift linkage.

Thanks!
Shifter linkage came off just fine.
Can I use the KN164 filter?

-Chris
Old 09-30-2016, 07:21 PM
Getting up to speed

Not sure about the K&N...I've used HiFlo HF160 filters, available on Amazon with good results...never had to remove the shift linkage.

Gone but not forgotten:

Norton Atlas
R60/5
Moto Guzzi V7 Sport
R90S X 2
Moto Guzzi Le Mans
Yam FJ1100
Ducati Laguna Seca
R1100RSL
R1100S BCR
R1200RT
Old 10-01-2016, 05:11 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardo
Hi Chris
In the same thread I mentioned above K1300 ENGINE OIL CHANGE - HOW TO http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=53144
Post #30 you have pics, thank to Dennis - Doctor D

Bernardo,

Thank you! Those photos (#30) help a lot.

-Chris
Old 10-01-2016, 05:32 PM
Shooting the gap

If you did happen to find frame damage that low on the bike, I would take it to an aluminum welding pro and see what they say. It doesn't seem like a major safety concern down by the side stand. A very skilled welder can make it stronger than factory.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:52 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpeck
If you did happen to find frame damage that low on the bike, I would take it to an aluminum welding pro and see what they say. It doesn't seem like a major safety concern down by the side stand. A very skilled welder can make it stronger than factory.

That is great advice! Thank you! I looked online and we have a mobile aluminum welder in our town so I emailed him to see if he could some by this week. I need to look at the bike again (I'm out of town this w/e) but looking at the photos from the oil change post I believe the frame may be bent... so I may need this guys help to attempt bending it back even if it is not cracked. Best I can tell it only moved about 1/4" but that was enough the puncture the oil filter.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 10-01-2016, 06:01 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
A very skilled welder can make it stronger than factory.

Unlikely unless he heat treats the whole frame after welding...
Old 10-01-2016, 06:08 PM
Shooting the gap

Ohh, bent frame is worse than cracked. I thought we were talking about a possible crack where the side stand mounts, that's an easy repair for a skilled welder. But a bend may be another ballgame. Certainly worth having a pro look though if need be. Personally, there is no way I would scrap a bike from damage that low on the frame. I would find a way to fix it, but that's your call. I wouldn't consider anything down there to be a danger to the rider, for personal use, not to sell.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:19 PM
Shooting the gap

If you are just talking about the area where the shift linkage and side stand mount. No safety concern there, I'd get a tapered piece of alloy made and run it through the 2 bolts, that line everything up properly. I wouldn't try to rebend anything, likely just make it weaker. Simply make a tapered piece to offset the bend.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:10 AM
To the moon Alice!

BTW, you don't check the oil level cold. On the center stand, you run the engine till the fans come on, turn off, wait a few minutes then check the oil by unscrewing the dip stick and placing it in the opening without screwing it back in, then you take it out and check the level.

1973 BLACK NORTON COMMANDO 850
2009 RED K1300GT
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Doctor D' for this post:
Old 10-02-2016, 04:34 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor D
BTW, you don't check the oil level cold. On the center stand, you run the engine till the fans come on, turn off, wait a few minutes then check the oil by unscrewing the dip stick and placing it in the opening without screwing it back in, then you take it out and check the level.

I've heard these shenanigans before, but my bike is within about a mm cold, or the "waste gas and unnecessarily cook your bike" method. I mean, it's a sump tank, make sure it has a reasonable amount of oil and it's not overfilled and really not much can go wrong. It's not like the oil pump is in the oil tank.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'rpeck' for this post:
Old 10-04-2016, 10:13 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
I've heard these shenanigans before, but my bike is within about a mm cold, or the "waste gas and unnecessarily cook your bike" method. I mean, it's a sump tank, make sure it has a reasonable amount of oil and it's not overfilled and really not much can go wrong. It's not like the oil pump is in the oil tank.

I'm working on the repair now. On this oil fill level... do you screw in the dip stick to check the level or just stick it in without screwing it down?

Thanks!
Old 10-04-2016, 11:30 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
I'm working on the repair now. On this oil fill level... do you screw in the dip stick to check the level or just stick it in without screwing it down?

Thanks!

Set it in, but don't screw it down. The K12s has a sight hose, I just use that. On an oil change though, you do want to warm it to operating, then let it rest for an accurate reading. Between oil changes I find no difference between warm/rest and dead cold.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:07 PM
Getting up to speed

I got the repair completed today. When I removed the bracket it was clear the frame had bent in about 1/4 inch. Additionally there was a crack running up and down through the 2 bolt holes. So instead of attempting to bend it back we cut into the crack and filled it in and then filled in... in an angle... towards the third bolt the the left... we then ground it down so that the bracket would reinstall flush. Everything went back together nicely and I installed a KN160 filter. Took the bike out for a short ride and used the side stand a number of times. I'll take it for a longer ride later this week but all seems well.

Thanks for all the help and advice.
-Chris
Old 02-12-2017, 03:18 PM
Getting up to speed

Hi, question for thous who really know- K&N has two models of filters- KN-160 and KN-164. For the K1200R thay say KN-160 is ok. But i can find lots of sellers claiming KN-164 fits too, but difference in diameter is 2 mm. So how is that can be ok..

So does KN-164 really would fit for K1200R?
Asking because would like to try "164" because of different filtration material used in filter than "160". Thanks.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:04 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I think I'd have to evict Mom.

"Motorcycled 100% of the lower 48 + 9/10 Canadian Provinces"

100% Deplorable.

2016 K1300S
2015 R1200 GS Adventure
2006 R1200 GS
Old 02-15-2017, 11:26 PM
2013 Member of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw
Unlikely unless he heat treats the whole frame after welding...
The extrusion alloys of aluminum used for the frame are not heat treatable the way steel is. They achieve additional toughness by precipitation hardening

No more "Vancouver.... the Blond Bimbo of Cities" for me
.... moved to Kelowna BC in the beautiful wine country of the Okanagan Valley.

- '08 K1200GT, metallic charcoal/silver
- '86 K100RT, Diamantgrau Metallic (great old girl!).
Old 02-15-2017, 11:47 PM
2013 Member of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor D

Starting a cold slant-4 engine and running it until the fan (BTW, there is only ONE fan) comes on before checking oil will NOT work properly. The engine may FEEL warm, but the oil in the oil tank is still only slightly warm. It is the OIL that has to be hot, because hot oil expands in volume. Cool or barely warm oil in the oil tank will give a false dipstick reading.

The owners manual states...

- Engine must be at operating temperature (this means you need to ride the bike for 10 or 15 minutes to ensure the OIL is hot.
- Put the bike on the main stand (or held upright)
- After it is on the main stand, continue to let it idle for (and I quote) "at least 30 seconds" to scavange as much oil as possible back to the tank. More than a minute is pointless.
- Then turn off the motor and check the oil level with the dipstick as you explained.

No more "Vancouver.... the Blond Bimbo of Cities" for me
.... moved to Kelowna BC in the beautiful wine country of the Okanagan Valley.

- '08 K1200GT, metallic charcoal/silver
- '86 K100RT, Diamantgrau Metallic (great old girl!).
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'RFW' for this post: