I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300GT > "K13GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13GT" Technical Q&A K1300GT- Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 09-02-2017, 02:48 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Thumbs down MAKING CLUTCH PULL EASYGOING ??

I was riding a lot of switchbacks where I constantly had to change gears. When entering the steep corners I found I put more pressure on my hands. The RESULT - sore pads at the base of the fingers and thumb. What is the best way to A). Treat the problem on my finger joint. B) make the clutch easier to pull in. Thanks in advance
Old 09-02-2017, 03:26 PM
Supporting Vendor
Thanked 2,079 Times in 800 Posts

Re: MAKING CLUTCH PULL EASYGOING ??

I have similar problems after riding tight twisties.. Adjusting my body position as to put more weight on my inner thighs (around the gas tank) and sitting up a little more upright helps some.. otherwise... not much else I've found. After "serious" corner carving I usually have sore hands and numbness.. It's a cross I bear..

We sell clutch slave kits which make the clutch pull easier... http://pirateslair.net/Oberonclutchslave.htm
Old 09-03-2017, 01:57 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Thumbs down Re: MAKING CLUTCH PULL EASYGOING ??

Thanks. I have added tank grips, now to stay up more and use core muscles to stop the pressure on my hands. What difference in clutch pull for a k1300gt should I expect?? Thanks for the info.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:47 PM
Supporting Vendor

Not sure how to answer that question.. I've not felt the GT factory pull so I can't compare how much better the clutch slave would make it... I had one on my last Ducati and loved it... made it noticeable better. Maybe you'll get some feedback from other posters here.. I've sold a lot of these to I-BMW members...

Or you might do a search.. Do they make the pull easier? yes. Are they worth the money? IMHO... yes.. especially if you are ever in stop n go traffic..

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankr
What difference in clutch pull for a k1300gt should I expect?? Thanks for the info.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:53 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

The answer is... what is the difference in area between the Oberon slave and the stock slave? More easily, what is the difference in diameter between one and the other?

Surely that information is available, either from Oberon or from the members of this group who could measure the relevant diameters.

The the answer is the difference between the areas of the two slave cylinders. I await your response, this is high school stuff, or if you're an engineer, basic hydrostatics.

Gentlemen, start your calipers. Next, your calculators. Area difference = pi * (R - r)^2
Old 09-19-2017, 09:10 AM
Supporting Vendor

Kinda think you are out in the weeds, Honolulu.. 99.9% of the people who want one of these only have one question... "Does it make the pull easier?" The answer to that is.. of course they do....

If you want me to contact Oberon to ask for specs, I'd be glad to do that but my guess is... that information would be totally irrelevant to all except engineers... What say ye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu
The answer is... what is the difference in area between the Oberon slave and the stock slave? More easily, what is the difference in diameter between one and the other?

Surely that information is available, either from Oberon or from the members of this group who could measure the relevant diameters.

The the answer is the difference between the areas of the two slave cylinders. I await your response, this is high school stuff, or if you're an engineer, basic hydrostatics.

Gentlemen, start your calipers. Next, your calculators. Area difference = pi * (R - r)^2
Old 09-19-2017, 12:19 PM
*Disclaimer below

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankr
I was riding a lot of switchbacks where I constantly had to change gears. When entering the steep corners I found I put more pressure on my hands. The RESULT - sore pads at the base of the fingers and thumb. What is the best way to A). Treat the problem on my finger joint. B) make the clutch easier to pull in. Thanks in advance
You shouldn't have to pull in the clutch just flick it in a hair with the tips of your index and middle finger.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:23 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Thanks for your kind words, pirate, it just so happens that I am an engineer for the last, oh, 35-plus years. As for the weeds ... they grow in your backyard too.

You stated above "I've never felt the factory pull" ... so is it anecdotal, for you to say that the Oberon clutch slave makes the clutch pull easier?

Rather than take the word of a vendor, and since you didn't bother to look up the diameters.... I did. It's one click to an ebay ad that states the K1300 has a stock 34 mm diameter and Oberon unit is 36 mm.

Thus the stock unit area is 917 square mm, the Oberon area is 1018 square mm, or 1.1 times the area, thus 11 percent easier. Sounds pretty small when it's put that way, doesn't it? Also have to note that unless the handlebar lever is somehow modified to change the throw, the Oberon unit depresses the clutch 1/10 less.

Data. Reality. For some of your prospective customers, it might matter. Feel free to use the above calculation to sell more of those things.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:07 PM
Supporting Vendor

Duly noted, bra...Thank you. if anyone ever asks.. I'll know what to tell them..

I'm sure we'll encounter another engineer in the future who thinks this info is important in their decision making process..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu
Thanks for your kind words, pirate, it just so happens that I am an engineer for the last, oh, 35-plus years. As for the weeds ... they grow in your backyard too.

You stated above "I've never felt the factory pull" ... so is it anecdotal, for you to say that the Oberon clutch slave makes the clutch pull easier?

Rather than take the word of a vendor, and since you didn't bother to look up the diameters.... I did. It's one click to an ebay ad that states the K1300 has a stock 34 mm diameter and Oberon unit is 36 mm.

Thus the stock unit area is 917 square mm, the Oberon area is 1018 square mm, or 1.1 times the area, thus 11 percent easier. Sounds pretty small when it's put that way, doesn't it? Also have to note that unless the handlebar lever is somehow modified to change the throw, the Oberon unit depresses the clutch 1/10 less.

Data. Reality. For some of your prospective customers, it might matter. Feel free to use the above calculation to sell more of those things.