I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300GT > "K13GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13GT" Technical Q&A K1300GT- Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Reply
 
Thread Tools.. Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-02-2017, 02:48 PM
frankr frankr is offline
Has gotten a ticket or two…
Post: 176 Thanks: 11
Thanked 40 Times in 23 Posts
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Thunder Bay, ON Canada
Thumbs down MAKING CLUTCH PULL EASYGOING ??

I was riding a lot of switchbacks where I constantly had to change gears. When entering the steep corners I found I put more pressure on my hands. The RESULT - sore pads at the base of the fingers and thumb. What is the best way to A). Treat the problem on my finger joint. B) make the clutch easier to pull in. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-02-2017, 03:26 PM
Pirate's Avatar
Pirate Pirate is offline
Supporting Vendor
Post: 7,040 Thanks: 1,734
Thanked 2,079 Times in 800 Posts
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Asheville, NC USA
Re: MAKING CLUTCH PULL EASYGOING ??

I have similar problems after riding tight twisties.. Adjusting my body position as to put more weight on my inner thighs (around the gas tank) and sitting up a little more upright helps some.. otherwise... not much else I've found. After "serious" corner carving I usually have sore hands and numbness.. It's a cross I bear..

We sell clutch slave kits which make the clutch pull easier... http://pirateslair.net/Oberonclutchslave.htm
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-03-2017, 01:57 PM
frankr frankr is offline
Has gotten a ticket or two…
Post: 176 Thanks: 11
Thanked 40 Times in 23 Posts
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Thunder Bay, ON Canada
Thumbs down Re: MAKING CLUTCH PULL EASYGOING ??

Thanks. I have added tank grips, now to stay up more and use core muscles to stop the pressure on my hands. What difference in clutch pull for a k1300gt should I expect?? Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-03-2017, 05:47 PM
Pirate's Avatar
Pirate Pirate is offline
Supporting Vendor
Post: 7,040 Thanks: 1,734
Thanked 2,079 Times in 800 Posts
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Asheville, NC USA
Re: MAKING CLUTCH PULL EASYGOING ??

Not sure how to answer that question.. I've not felt the GT factory pull so I can't compare how much better the clutch slave would make it... I had one on my last Ducati and loved it... made it noticeable better. Maybe you'll get some feedback from other posters here.. I've sold a lot of these to I-BMW members...

Or you might do a search.. Do they make the pull easier? yes. Are they worth the money? IMHO... yes.. especially if you are ever in stop n go traffic..


Quote:
Originally Posted by frankr
What difference in clutch pull for a k1300gt should I expect?? Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-19-2017, 03:53 AM
Honolulu Honolulu is offline
Exceeding Highway speeds
Post: 78 Thanks: 1
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Honolulu, HI USA
Re: MAKING CLUTCH PULL EASYGOING ??

The answer is... what is the difference in area between the Oberon slave and the stock slave? More easily, what is the difference in diameter between one and the other?

Surely that information is available, either from Oberon or from the members of this group who could measure the relevant diameters.

The the answer is the difference between the areas of the two slave cylinders. I await your response, this is high school stuff, or if you're an engineer, basic hydrostatics.

Gentlemen, start your calipers. Next, your calculators. Area difference = pi * (R - r)^2
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-19-2017, 09:10 AM
Pirate's Avatar
Pirate Pirate is offline
Supporting Vendor
Post: 7,040 Thanks: 1,734
Thanked 2,079 Times in 800 Posts
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Asheville, NC USA
Re: MAKING CLUTCH PULL EASYGOING ??

Kinda think you are out in the weeds, Honolulu.. 99.9% of the people who want one of these only have one question... "Does it make the pull easier?" The answer to that is.. of course they do....

If you want me to contact Oberon to ask for specs, I'd be glad to do that but my guess is... that information would be totally irrelevant to all except engineers... What say ye?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu
The answer is... what is the difference in area between the Oberon slave and the stock slave? More easily, what is the difference in diameter between one and the other?

Surely that information is available, either from Oberon or from the members of this group who could measure the relevant diameters.

The the answer is the difference between the areas of the two slave cylinders. I await your response, this is high school stuff, or if you're an engineer, basic hydrostatics.

Gentlemen, start your calipers. Next, your calculators. Area difference = pi * (R - r)^2
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-19-2017, 12:19 PM
BAK04GT BAK04GT is online now
*Disclaimer below
Post: 5,959 Thanks: 134
Thanked 512 Times in 428 Posts
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: At the lake - Meredith N.H., U.S.A.
Re: MAKING CLUTCH PULL EASYGOING ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankr
I was riding a lot of switchbacks where I constantly had to change gears. When entering the steep corners I found I put more pressure on my hands. The RESULT - sore pads at the base of the fingers and thumb. What is the best way to A). Treat the problem on my finger joint. B) make the clutch easier to pull in. Thanks in advance
You shouldn't have to pull in the clutch just flick it in a hair with the tips of your index and middle finger.
__________________
"Just shut the fuck up and let ME tell you what I need"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-19-2017, 01:23 PM
Honolulu Honolulu is offline
Exceeding Highway speeds
Post: 78 Thanks: 1
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Honolulu, HI USA
Re: MAKING CLUTCH PULL EASYGOING ??

Thanks for your kind words, pirate, it just so happens that I am an engineer for the last, oh, 35-plus years. As for the weeds ... they grow in your backyard too.

You stated above "I've never felt the factory pull" ... so is it anecdotal, for you to say that the Oberon clutch slave makes the clutch pull easier?

Rather than take the word of a vendor, and since you didn't bother to look up the diameters.... I did. It's one click to an ebay ad that states the K1300 has a stock 34 mm diameter and Oberon unit is 36 mm.

Thus the stock unit area is 917 square mm, the Oberon area is 1018 square mm, or 1.1 times the area, thus 11 percent easier. Sounds pretty small when it's put that way, doesn't it? Also have to note that unless the handlebar lever is somehow modified to change the throw, the Oberon unit depresses the clutch 1/10 less.

Data. Reality. For some of your prospective customers, it might matter. Feel free to use the above calculation to sell more of those things.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-19-2017, 02:07 PM
Pirate's Avatar
Pirate Pirate is offline
Supporting Vendor
Post: 7,040 Thanks: 1,734
Thanked 2,079 Times in 800 Posts
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Asheville, NC USA
Re: MAKING CLUTCH PULL EASYGOING ??

Duly noted, bra...Thank you. if anyone ever asks.. I'll know what to tell them..

I'm sure we'll encounter another engineer in the future who thinks this info is important in their decision making process..


Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu
Thanks for your kind words, pirate, it just so happens that I am an engineer for the last, oh, 35-plus years. As for the weeds ... they grow in your backyard too.

You stated above "I've never felt the factory pull" ... so is it anecdotal, for you to say that the Oberon clutch slave makes the clutch pull easier?

Rather than take the word of a vendor, and since you didn't bother to look up the diameters.... I did. It's one click to an ebay ad that states the K1300 has a stock 34 mm diameter and Oberon unit is 36 mm.

Thus the stock unit area is 917 square mm, the Oberon area is 1018 square mm, or 1.1 times the area, thus 11 percent easier. Sounds pretty small when it's put that way, doesn't it? Also have to note that unless the handlebar lever is somehow modified to change the throw, the Oberon unit depresses the clutch 1/10 less.

Data. Reality. For some of your prospective customers, it might matter. Feel free to use the above calculation to sell more of those things.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools..
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads (a database pull of similar subject matter)
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oberon Clutch Slave Cylinder Installation djcellist "K12S/KR" Technical Q&A 6 04-08-2017 11:16 AM
2001 K1200RS. Clutch won't disengage KBJRX7 "KRS/GT" Technical Q&A 3 05-25-2016 09:26 PM
K1200rs Clutch ridden to destruction. KBJRX7 "KRS/GT" Technical Q&A 14 05-25-2016 02:05 PM
K1200 R & S CLUTCH replacement & IMPROVEMENT Bill Curlee "K12S/KR" Technical Q&A 1 07-29-2015 06:00 PM
STM of Italy - Slipper Clutch for The K1200S/R ! locus "K12S" Accessories 12 08-13-2006 02:27 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:02 AM.


I-BMW.com is via vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2018, I-BMW.com LLC .
Page generated in 0.48582 seconds with 16 queries