I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW S-1000 Series Motorcycles > S1000 XR > "S1000 XR" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 08-14-2015, 08:02 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Overworked brake/clutch smell

Noticed in the last couple days that after a short run at 50 - 70 mph the bike smells like hot brakes/clutch. It just turned 300 miles so still in the process of varying throttle position, no constant speed, no WOT, etc. Exceeded 7k rpm for the first time today, shifted up thru 5th at 8k...temp hoovered around 190 or so, wouldn't have thought that would be anywhere near overheating.

Do the brakes smell as they're wearing in?
'96 VMax 1200 carburetor test stand
Old 08-14-2015, 08:13 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,405 Times in 3,136 Posts

Re: Overworked brake/clutch smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymax
Noticed in the last couple days that after a short run at 50 - 70 mph the bike smells like hot brakes/clutch. It just turned 300 miles so still in the process of varying throttle position, no constant speed, no WOT, etc. Exceeded 7k rpm for the first time today, shifted up thru 5th at 8k...temp hoovered around 190 or so, wouldn't have thought that would be anywhere near overheating.

Do the brakes smell as they're wearing in?
Danny:

I'm not there to smell what you are smelling but when these bikes are new the exhaust systems(cat converter) for sure give off a burning something odor.

Now I'm not saying that your brakes or clutch are not suspect I just doubt it. Brakes are easy to tell if they are burning(hot) as soon as you stop after your next ride feel the rotors if they are too hot for you to touch then maybe a brake issue if they are warm or a little hot very normal. Of course if you just hammered on the brakes 2 minutes before you stopped well then the rotors are going to be very hot.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 08-14-2015, 08:50 PM

Thanks Bruce, it isn't a hot cat smell, more like hot brakes and I'm thinking you're right about applying the brakes just before stopping.....I'm not used to brakes this efficient and tend to over apply them. I'll do a little run tomorrow to make sure they're cool, coast to a stop and see if I still smell it.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:25 AM
*Disclaimer below

Quote:
Thanks Bruce, it isn't a hot cat smell, more like hot brakes and I'm thinking you're right about applying the brakes just before stopping.....I'm not used to brakes this efficient and tend to over apply them. I'll do a little run tomorrow to make sure they're cool, coast to a stop and see if I still smell it.
Brake pads will smell sometimes during break in.
You wouldn't get a burn clutch smell in a wet clutch set up, I wouldn't think unless there is no oil in the bike
Old 08-15-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAK04GT
Brake pads will smell sometimes during break in.
You wouldn't get a burn clutch smell in a wet clutch set up, I wouldn't think unless there is no oil in the bike

Absolutely right about that BAK04GT....hadn't got that far in my thinking process yet.

I logged in just under 100 mi. today and stopped several times by gearing down then using the rear brake only and there was no smell....strongly suggests I'm a little heavy handed on the brake lever. Also felt of the front rotors as Bruce suggested and found that consistently the right rotor was much hotter than the left, I could lay my hand on the left rotor indefinitely but the right one for only a few seconds.

Is this normal for new brakes....maybe a few mils of different thickness...
Old 08-16-2015, 07:57 AM
*Disclaimer below

Quote:
Absolutely right about that BAK04GT....hadn't got that far in my thinking process yet.

I logged in just under 100 mi. today and stopped several times by gearing down then using the rear brake only and there was no smell....strongly suggests I'm a little heavy handed on the brake lever. Also felt of the front rotors as Bruce suggested and found that consistently the right rotor was much hotter than the left, I could lay my hand on the left rotor indefinitely but the right one for only a few seconds.

Is this normal for new brakes....maybe a few mils of different thickness...
Left and right should be the same, I would get it to the dealer and have them check it out, its covered.
If you can determine a difference in pad thickness with very low mileage as you have there is something definitely wrong big time! demand a new rotor also.
You will also most likely feel a big difference in performance after they unlock and shit can that caliper.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:52 AM

Thanks, first service is looming large I'll have them fix it then. That right side may be where the hot smell was coming from too...ya think?
Old 08-16-2015, 09:58 AM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 6,750 Times in 2,792 Posts

Does the RR have linked brakes? It is possible that application of the rear brake may also apply one fo the front brakes? That would result in one of the front rotors being hotter than the other.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJS350
Does the RR have linked brakes? It is possible that application of the rear brake may also apply one fo the front brakes? That would result in one of the front rotors being hotter than the other.

The XR does have linked (integral brakes) but I believe only with the front lever. Altho I have only used the rear brake once, it seemed very weak compared to the front....so I never used it again.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:34 AM
*Disclaimer below

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJS350
Both calipers are on the same circuit teed at the fork yoke area.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:33 PM

Tossed my laser temp gun in the bag tail today and went for a front rotor temp test ride. I had trouble heating them up under normal road riding conditions.....the brakes work so well they stop the bike long before any temp can build! But did find a long hill to brake, speed up, brake, etc until I got to the bottom.

According to the laser gun the rotors were exactly the same temp....196! Not all that hot for sure but the fact that they were the same gives me great peace of mind.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:15 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Tossed my laser temp gun in the bag tail today and went for a front rotor temp test ride. I had trouble heating them up under normal road riding conditions.....the brakes work so well they stop the bike long before any temp can build! But did find a long hill to brake, speed up, brake, etc until I got to the bottom.

According to the laser gun the rotors were exactly the same temp....196! Not all that hot for sure but the fact that they were the same gives me great peace of mind.

Every new bmw I have had had that smell for a while, and you are looking for things that are wrong. My XR smelled like that and it is the preservative they spray all over the metal parts of the bike to keep corrosion at bay during shipping and it takes a while to burn off, cars do it, trucks do it and so do bikes. Some dealers do a better job of cleaning than others. But they all have the smell, some people notice and others don't
H
Old 09-09-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgp3
Every new bmw I have had had that smell for a while, and you are looking for things that are wrong. My XR smelled like that and it is the preservative they spray all over the metal parts of the bike to keep corrosion at bay during shipping and it takes a while to burn off, cars do it, trucks do it and so do bikes. Some dealers do a better job of cleaning than others. But they all have the smell, some people notice and others don't
H

Thanks! The smell didn't bother me too much but combined with the noticeable difference in rotor temps it had me puzzled. Seems to be a non issue now tho.

My dealer uses S-100 as a cleaning agent....it cleans very well but leaves a disgusting after smell that takes several hundred miles to burn off! No amount of rinsing seems to get rid of it.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgp3
H

You're absolutely correct hgp3! I've bought houses for less than I have in this bike....if there's anything wrong with it I want to know before it happens!!
Old 09-16-2015, 09:31 PM
Shooting the gap

FWIW My 2015 KS stunk up the garage after getting hot. Smelled like cat or maby packing in AK can. Mostly gone now @ 500 miles.

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too tired to fight he'll just shoot you.
I'm the first guy you see when you come to after saying "Hold my beer and watch this !"
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'X-RAY MIKE' for this post:
Old 09-16-2015, 11:05 PM
Debbie's Servant
Thanked 3,590 Times in 1,714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-RAY MIKE
FWIW My 2015 KS stunk up the garage after getting hot. Smelled like cat or maby packing in AK can. Mostly gone now @ 500 miles.

The Akra pipe has a nasty smell when new.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S
03 K1200RS, 91 K75S, 87 K75T, 84 R100RT

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Lee' for this post:
Old 09-17-2015, 07:16 AM

That's good to know....hopefully my AK will get here before Christmas so I can break it in out in the fresh air!
Old 09-28-2015, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
The Akra pipe has a nasty smell when new.
Yeah, it's the worst..
Old 09-28-2015, 07:48 PM
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote:
run at 50 - 70 mph the bike smells like hot brakes/clutch.
Hi Danny, just my 0,02 pesos

Usually the brake or clutch smell comes from a high temperature use, if you ride gently 50 -70 Mph, I think is not the cause to have that effect.

I'm inclined to think about something in your exhaust pipes or muffler, may be something touching it or simply a bit of plastic melted.

If it's brakes, front or rear brake are touching the disks, rise the bike and check the free play of calipers/pads/disks
Old 09-29-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardo
Hi Danny, just my 0,02 pesos

Usually the brake or clutch smell comes from a high temperature use, if you ride gently 50 -70 Mph, I think is not the cause to have that effect.

I'm inclined to think about something in your exhaust pipes or muffler, may be something touching it or simply a bit of plastic melted.

If it's brakes, front or rear brake are touching the disks, rise the bike and check the free play of calipers/pads/disks

Hi Bernardo, I think it was just a 'running in' issue as it is all sorted out now. For some reason the right front rotors were running hotter than the left...I had the dealer look at them, they bled them but couldn't find any problem altho did note there was a 'slight' difference in temps between the rotors. I started carrying my laser thermometer and periodically measured them....within 100 miles or so they were within a couple degrees of each other, the smell disappeared and the bike stops as it should. Everything seems fine.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'dannymax' for this post: