I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S/R" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S/R" Technical Q&A K1200S/R Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 07-27-2014, 03:42 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Help! Need to wire in Zumo 390LM in 2 days...

Hi guys, I've read a few threads on wiring in GPS's already, and I apologize for a potential repost, but I'm having trouble sifting through the information overload

I'm not technically savvy so let's keep it simple...

I have the mounting hardware (picture below) from Garmin. Can I simply wire this onto my battery? Or will that cause a slow drain EVEN WHEN I've disconnected the GPS (which I have a habit of doing anyway because of theft). I obviously don't want to risk draining my battery while on a 10 day jaunt.

BMW Hollywood did that type of install for me in 2010 (for free while having tires changed), but the USB end corroded in the rain and stopped working (I'm finally replacing it, and cut everything out this morning).

A guy at a NAPA autoparts store sold me a Bussmann HHH Accessory Mini ADD-A-Line (aka "Piggyback"), saying I could plug that in my fusebox and out to daytime-running-light and that would not draw from the battery and shut off automatically when I turn the ignition off. Opening my bike I discovered many fancy fuse connections but could not identify a central fuse box (although the thing under the seat might've been it. Moot point as the connections are radically different). What a waste of $$$

I don't have a bike place nearby and I don't have time to order the "piggyback" equivalent for any of these fancy BMW connectors (if such a thing even exists). ALSO, I have no intention of wiring in a radar detector or any other gadgets other than the GPS so I don't think I need to get extra technical and install an aftermarket fusebox (although many threads have said to do so), and would rather avoid the unnecessary costs anyway.

I'll be at my moto dealer in a couple of days but I doubt they'll be much help with this (sadly, some of the worst service I've ever experienced, and I've been to 7 moto dealers in North America).

Quick Recap (because I talk too much lol): Can I wire this thing off the battery with the pos/neg wires and not risk draining my battery? I'm actually willing to detach the wires every day if absolutely necessary, and can work out a more permanent and reliable fix later if need be...

Old 07-27-2014, 04:32 PM
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,416 Posts

Re: Help! Need to wire in Zumo 390LM in 2 days...

Hi Michael

You can wire it directly to the battery, the fuse keeps the battery and your gps protected if any thing occurs.

About consumption, if you remove the gps to avoid theft, is no consumption, if you let it in the craddle, only consumes the current necessary to charge the GPS battery, is almost nothing, only important if you don't use the bike for some time.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:50 PM
Twisted Wrister

I used a battery tender pigtail and ran it from the battery out the front by the suspension. Soldered a matching connector to the GPS, now I have a battery tender connection AND a simple GPS hookup. It even came with a little rubber boot to cover it when not in use.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:54 PM
Wookin' pa nub
Thanked 4,216 Times in 2,122 Posts

Hey Michael, the short answer is yes. You could wire directly to the battery. BUT, it is not the best way to do it and even a layman can install a fuse block to meet your power consumption needs.

Eastern Beaver PC8 makes it easy. There are other brands out there as well.

Here is a link that shows where some people have installed the PC8.

So here is the short run down. Find where you want to install the fuse block. Measure the distance to your battery considering where the wires will run. Order the proper wire kit from Eastern Beaver along with the PC8.

The install. Run the wires first. Pos to pos, neg to neg. Use one of these posi-taps to connect the switching lead to the GPS power. You can use the brake light, or any number of switched power leads off the bike. It is really simple. Once the wires are installed, test the power from the fuse block. If all is well, tighten everything up, clean up the wires and then run all your power needs off the fuse block.

Here are the full instructions. BTW, I am not affiliated with this product, I just happen to use it. I've installed it on my K12S, removed and reinstalled on my K13S. It is chimp easy and the proof is that I did it!!

Keyboard Hero!
A product of "unfortunate upbringing...
Dolt, One of Five!

Find the official "non-official" 2018 Non-Invitational DGR Rally in Maggie Valley here!

Life is good!