I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S/R" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S/R" Technical Q&A K1200S/R Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 07-30-2009, 02:21 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Re: K1300S Stalling?

A dealer's demo K1300 S stalled on me. Mentioned it to Service, they reset the engine management, a tech took it on a test ride, couldn't duplicate the problem.

I took it on a test ride, RPM stabilize between 1500-1100, but never below, seems more stable now. Fingers crossed.

2006 BMW K1200R (sold), 2010 BMW S1000RR
This BMW rider waves
Old 07-30-2009, 03:39 PM
Getting up to speed

Sorry to hear about the accident, I hope you're OK. I have already had a near miss once due to my engine cutting out at low speeds, but wasn't actually hit or injured.

Everyone else with this stalling issue, be careful when you ride and let's not let up bothering BMWNA about this situation until it is resolved!!!!

We all want a nice bike that we paid for and to be healthy enough to enjoy it.

Has anybody had any luck with a 2009 k1300s (power frk, o2 sensor, or any other aftermarket parts that can make the bike safer)?
Old 07-30-2009, 07:25 PM
Getting up to speed

I've never had a stalling problem on my 05 K12S, but installed a Power FRK this Spring to offset what I assumed was a leaner than stock condition due to the Akra slip-on and Evoluzione Race Airflow System I have had on the bike for a couple of years now. The FRK made a noticeable difference in power quality and character, much smoother delivery and a real joy to ride now, even though I thought it ran fairly well prior to the FRK. Very, very pleased with FRK. BTY I have a little over 15,000 miles on the bike, purchased new in Spring 06, with no other problems other than an ECU which "failed" during the 600 mile service and was replaced by a new unit shipped from Germany.

Pops
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PIX03.jpg (28.3 KB, 2 views)
Old 07-30-2009, 11:02 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Send a message via AIM to Michael1515

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videoguy
No mention of the exhaust valve being related to the stalling anywhere. You would be the first, and the first to have a fault logged into the computer. Everyone else here including myself have not had any faults logged, and mine was in 3 times already. Hope that is the solution to your problem.

I just had the Remus Hexicone exhaust installed on my K13s so we will see if the bike stalls without the exhaust valve. I also had the Evoluzione race airflow system. I had a pretty good ride covering some 120 miles with alot of starts and stops....with no stalls. I did have an ideal "stall" situation and I think I even felt the bike doing the pre-stall ritual and then all of a sudden it was like the bike added a bit of fuel and the revs popped up over 1k and prevented the stall.

Its still WAY to early to tell if either the removal of the exhaust valve or the installation of the airflow system will rectify or help prevent future stalls. I'll let everyone know how it goes this wkend!

Ducati Streetfighter
Canon 1dMkIIn
Merrick 7'2" M13 Surfboard
Old 07-31-2009, 11:35 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaw704352
Since we might have 2-3 months by the time we get a fix, I was considering installing a Power FRK module for the interim. I may take it off when the fix comes in. I know most of the reviews are positive. What do you guys think?
$300 for a few months? Plus I had an FRK on my 05S and wasn't impressed.
Remus Hexicone
55W 6000K HID
Clear Alternative Lenses
2005 K12S (Blu Beemer) - Gone
Old 07-31-2009, 01:28 PM
Getting up to speed

I took my bike in today for it's 600mi service. The service manager said the fix from BMW is on the way. They told him 2-3 weeks, but he expected longer.

It is a software fix.

He also said the complaints about this issue has been numerous. It is not a small percentage of these bikes.

He also mentioned what I already knew which is you can use your engine to brake instead of the clutch and brake method and it won't stall.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:45 PM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
He also said the complaints about this issue has been numerous. It is not a small percentage of these bikes.

Honestly, I'm not BMW bashing here but I just don't get it. They've had release problems with the new K's since 05 and the 13 was suppose to be the "fix" for all prior woes. So...if this is a problem with so many bikes why in gosh sakes wasn't it discovered before. They've got to understand the implications if this bike is also frought with early release problems like the 12's. Is it a problem with their QC and testing or intentional oversite of the problem. For a successful company such as BMW...I'm just at a loss to explain it.

Theories???

Old 07-31-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iehawk
A dealer's demo K1300 S stalled on me. Mentioned it to Service, they reset the engine management, a tech took it on a test ride, couldn't duplicate the problem.

I took it on a test ride, RPM stabilize between 1500-1100, but never below, seems more stable now. Fingers crossed.

Anyone tried bringing this up to your local BMW dealer? Or at least read this?

This BMW rider waves
Old 07-31-2009, 01:57 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
I took my bike in today for it's 600mi service. The service manager said the fix from BMW is on the way. They told him 2-3 weeks, but he expected longer.

It is a software fix.

He also mentioned what I already knew which is you can use your engine to brake instead of the clutch and brake method and it won't stall.

Does that mean its a mapping issue?

Ducati Streetfighter
Canon 1dMkIIn
Old 07-31-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1515
Does that mean its a mapping issue?

From the simple explanation I got, the ECU 'remembers' the throttle input pattern, then adjust and learn accordingly. Resetting it must have brought back the original or initial settings/parameters, somehow now the bike just runs so much better.

This is only an initial observation. I'll find out more as I go and ride the bike again.

This BMW rider waves
Old 07-31-2009, 02:50 PM
Getting up to speed

To me, they are treating it as a mapping issue. This doesn't, however, make any sense to me as some bikes have the problem and others do not. I am under the suspicion that it is both a mediocre mapping issue combined with a piece of hardware (i.e. maybe a bad batch of o2 sensors or something that coated the surfaces of some other sensors).

Either way, in the past (k1200) it seems like software...such as the PCIII was a solution. Unfortunately, we don't have the new PCV out yet. I called Dynojet and they are waiting on someone to loan them a K1300S to test.

Anybody who lives in Vegas and wants to get a free PCV and a Dyno, you should hop on this and call Dynojet.

I will end up getting a PCV anyway from them as it makes the bike respond better to aftermarket pipes, intake, etc. (candy, is why I bought the bike)
Old 07-31-2009, 03:50 PM
Shooting the gap

My visit to the dealer today was canceled due to the weather, but have another scheduled for this Tuesday, and have said they will re-load program into ecu, check O2 sensor and re-check canister. If none of those are the fault, I'll have to wait till the fix from BMW. I'll post results after.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:49 PM

Yup... it seems there are multitude of variants within this problem.

I'm guessing that the reset makes the ECU to start learning again, but this time under the current condition, instead of the new condition.

Keep posting any solutions you run into, guys.

This BMW rider waves
Old 07-31-2009, 07:01 PM
Shooting the gap

Also having them check air temp sensor, as someone else said their dealer found at least 2 stalling bikes out of spec.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:09 AM
Proud K13S owner

I brought my bike to my dealer to fix the stalling problem.
They got instructions (from BMW ?) to replace the ECU.
So a new ECU was ordered and installed (under warranty).
Yesterday I did a small trip after getting the bike back but it stalled twice in one hour.
Told my dealer but maybe I will wait until september when the new software is available ...
It is difficult to define the exact circumstances when the bike stalls, it would be useful.
K1300S (2014) Special Edition 30Year
Audi A4 (2002) -> bad weather
Old 08-01-2009, 08:28 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_versluys
I brought my bike to my dealer to fix the stalling problem.
They got instructions (from BMW ?) to replace the ECU.
So a new ECU was ordered and installed (under warranty).
Yesterday I did a small trip after getting the bike back but it stalled twice in one hour.
Told my dealer but maybe I will wait until september when the new software is available ...
It is difficult to define the exact circumstances when the bike stalls, it would be useful.
My ecu (07KS) was also changed a while back. I had a BMSK and now I have a BMSKP. That fixed the violent bucking problems, but it did nothing to help the stalling. The PCIII fixed the stalling and other fueling problems.
It seems that most everyone who has stalling problems complains that the bikes stall when coming to a stop and with the rpms at about 2K. That's what mine and my friend's bike did. You would think BMFW would be able to fix it. It's not like it just happened once to one bike yesterday.
Having said that, I still like the bike and it runs like a champ - with the PCIII.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:21 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,545 Times in 3,223 Posts

I have said this before. It is a fueling /mapping issue. When the throttle is closed or just before it is closed, the mapping is set so low or at 0 value if you will. The sudden fuel shutoff either causes the bike to stall or almost. That is why people with PC's are having great results, they change the closed throttle values to correct this.

I know other folks feel it is the type of fuel or the way you shut the bike off. I could agree with that if we were talking about bikes with real miles on them. I rode a new 1300S with 5 miles on it and it did not stall but came very close. I do not think because the bike may have been fueled with a lesser gas that that would cause the problem.

For that matter gas issues were much more of a problem on bikes/cars with carbs. The age of fuel injection has really helped to correct alot of those problems.

I know fuel injection systems need to be clean just like all mechanical stuff has to be operating correctly, but BMW needs to find a different vendor for their ECU's. That seems to be the real problem.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 08-02-2009, 07:36 PM

I just picked up my K1300S from the dealer Friday where I had the 600 mile service performed. I mentioned the issues with consistent stalling and they had initially thought, that it was due to the exhaust valve closing when engine is running in idle. Now they have abandoned that theory and instead installed a software update to rectify the stalling issue. Well, after a 50 mile run I can confirm that the bike is still having issues. It stalled about 5 times today and to make matters worse, my left turn signal is now inoperative . I have already filed a complaint with NHTSA to inform them about the stalling issue. This is a serious safety issue and it should be solved without any hesitation. However, BMW is slow moving and it seems that BMW NA does not adress any issues until it is absolutely necessary. I highly recommend anyone with the same issue to file a complaint as this seems to be the only way to make BMW take care of this.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Site Contributor

If it wasn't so sad, it would be funny. It's like the Stooges are trying to fix the bike. How many times has bmfw figured it out now?
Old 08-02-2009, 09:51 PM
Getting up to speed

Welcome to the blinker issue. My new K1300S didn't make it from the store to my house before the blinker failed (then you wait two weeks for a new one to come in). I have 600 miles on the bike, most of which are my to/from to the dealer which is 20 miles away...sad sad sad.

I hope my right switch doesn't fail (like it has on a few bikes).

I can deal with a one-time blinker issue...if there isn't a fix for fueling in about three weeks, I'll start pushing for them to buy my bike back. I've almost been hit before due to this issue and plan to keep two wheels down (just maybe not a BMW)
Old 08-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Ready Let's Go

Anyone besides me wonder how we can all expeirence these problems, but BMW never noticed it during testing? I say they knew about it, and shipped anyway leaving the problem up to us to deal with. The Bosh computer they have is way to complex, and they are hell bent on running the engine as lean as possible. Too lean in fact. BMW has had fueling issues for years now, from surging boxers to K bikes with BBS, High Idle, and stalling. They have supported a cottage industry from techlusion, Power Commander, Pwr Frk, all of which add fuel. You would think by now they would get the message. In 2009 its not to much to ask for a bike with the correct fuel map. Filing with the NHTSA is the right thing to do. It may be the only way to get their attention.
Iron Butt Association Member#49820
MOA Member #106320
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
2003 R1150RT Silver (sold)
Old 08-02-2009, 10:23 PM

Hey guys,
I just looked at NHTSA's website and did a search on the K1300S. A total of 4 complaints in regards to the stalling issue and turn signal switch is all I was able to retrieve. I doubt BMW will respond in any way if there are only 4 complaints. I encourage you all to submit a claim in regards to this - not to cause a stir, but to report the issue so we can get BMW to rectify the situation. If not for your own sake, do it for the sake of all the K1300S riders with these issues.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:58 PM

I took my K1300GT in this past Friday for the brake system recall service. I've also had the stalling problem, which I reported to my dealer two weeks prior the brake service visit. The dealer indicated that BMW is working on the problem. However, because the solution will likely impact air emissions from the cycle, BMW needs to run their proposed solution through the Environmental Protection Agency before releasing it to their dealer network. Hence, the dealer indicates that BMW will solve the problem, but whereas BMW needs EPA approval before releasing the solution to thier dealers, aftermarket suppliers of fuel injection controls may not need EPA approval and so can get a solution on the market faster than BMW. However, cycles with aftermarket systems may not meet emissions standards. This all seems reasonably believable - let's just hope that BMW get's their fix identified and approved soon!

2009 BMW K1300GT
2003 BMW R1150R
2000 Suzuki SV650
1996 Triumph Daytona Super III
Old 08-03-2009, 07:11 AM

EGADS!!!

Well I was not having this issue until my last 2 rides and ESPECIALLY this past Saturday. I went out for a nice 200 mile jaunt, no problems early in the ride and or when on the freeway to and from the twisties. I get back into town and was riding around on my way home and my 1300 stalled 4 times on me. All of them occurred the same as most. In town driving, slow speeds and usually when coming to a stop or just taking off. VERY VERY FRUSTRATING!!!
Old 08-03-2009, 09:30 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanf
EGADS!!!

Well I was not having this issue until my last 2 rides and ESPECIALLY this past Saturday. I went out for a nice 200 mile jaunt, no problems early in the ride and or when on the freeway to and from the twisties. I get back into town and was riding around on my way home and my 1300 stalled 4 times on me. All of them occurred the same as most. In town driving, slow speeds and usually when coming to a stop or just taking off. VERY VERY FRUSTRATING!!!

Dang Dave sorry to hear about your bike falling into the "stalling abyss"....I rode about 300 miles this wkend and my bike did stall twice.....same scenerio as above. I guess the Evoluzione air flow system and Remux Hexacone didn't prevent the stalling after all.

Ducati Streetfighter
Canon 1dMkIIn
Old 08-03-2009, 11:05 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradue
I took my K1300GT in this past Friday for the brake system recall service. I've also had the stalling problem, which I reported to my dealer two weeks prior the brake service visit. The dealer indicated that BMW is working on the problem. However, because the solution will likely impact air emissions from the cycle, BMW needs to run their proposed solution through the Environmental Protection Agency before releasing it to their dealer network. Hence, the dealer indicates that BMW will solve the problem, but whereas BMW needs EPA approval before releasing the solution to thier dealers, aftermarket suppliers of fuel injection controls may not need EPA approval and so can get a solution on the market faster than BMW. However, cycles with aftermarket systems may not meet emissions standards. This all seems reasonably believable - let's just hope that BMW get's their fix identified and approved soon!

This sounds like a lot of hog wash to me...how come Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki can all make bikes that don't stall and BMW can't? the emission standards should be the same for all manufacturers. BMW dicked up the fueling on the K1200S and now it seems they've repeated the same mistake with the 1300.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Shooting the gap

Seems that way doesn't it? I bought the 1300s after reading they had solved all the 1200s issues and the new bikes would be great. It is a great bike if you don't mind living on the edge! Anyway, I think if something isn't done soon, somebody is going to get seriously hurt and BMW will be in for a HUGE class-action lawsuit. Also as far as the NHTSA goes, when you start the search do not check any type of failure, just check the details box. There are at least 14 filed complaints viewable now. Also they are filed under 2 different bikes:
A "K 1300 S" and a "K1300 S". Makes a difference where you look. Wish they would combine the two!
Old 08-03-2009, 11:42 AM
Shooting the gap

One more quick question: Are all of us using gas with ethanol in it? I was told by someone at BMW that that may be part of the problem. The mapping was done without ethanol in the gas, and it was done VERY lean, so the ethanol may be pushing it over the edge. Anybody try running with non-ethanol laced gas and still have stalling?
Old 08-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
One more quick question: Are all of us using gas with ethanol in it? I was told by someone at BMW that that may be part of the problem. The mapping was done without ethanol in the gas, and it was done VERY lean, so the ethanol may be pushing it over the edge. Anybody try running with non-ethanol laced gas and still have stalling?

Very few Chevrons in my neck o the woods. Even Shell has Ethanol in it...no escape. But...one would think that BMW would know that ethanol is now a part of life and would have done their mapping for it. These guys ain't stupid...well...

Old 08-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggiebone
Very few Chevrons in my neck o the woods. Even Shell has Ethanol in it...no escape. But...one would think that BMW would know that ethanol is now a part of life and would have done their mapping for it. These guys ain't stupid...well...

Well, by now I am sure bmfw could have purchased a gallon of us ethanol gas and mapped a bike in the fatherland and sent that new map to all the dealers in the us and fixed the problem. by the way, my Harley Davidson Road King has never stalled. It runs on ethanol too.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:57 PM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
Originally Posted by allikanbe
my Harley Davidson Road King has never stalled. It runs on ethanol too.

In my experience...you can add Ducati, KTM, Husky and oh, yeh...that ugly BMW bike to your list.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:25 PM
Go Ugly Early

Just wondering...why there are far more problems with the K12S and K13S stalling than with the GT models of these bikes. A milder cam allowing better fueling...

Old 08-03-2009, 03:25 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
One more quick question: Are all of us using gas with ethanol in it? I was told by someone at BMW that that may be part of the problem.
10% ethanol is mandated by the EPA in the Houston/Harris County non-attainment area as a fuel oxygenate. We have no choice, even at the Chevron stations. Of course, my 2007 K12GT isn't stalling, either (knock on wood!)

Rusty
Old 08-03-2009, 03:29 PM

Now mine's doing it more frequently. 2 times while I was bumping around up north over the weekend. Same scenario as everyone else. And now I can hear it stumble a bit as it finds idle every time I snap the throttle off. I may be having the problem less because I do mostly rural riding, and do tend to engine brake more than most people I know. I can see where this would be exacerbated by urban riding. Going to call my dealer this afternoon, who has been very straight in the past, and see what he knows. I'll report back.

Something I'll point out- It likely isn't any one thing, and that's how something like this gets through testing. I'm sure it's a combination of fuel quality and most likely mapping. Could the test for every possible combination when validating the bike?

Obviously, the competition can. My stupid little FZ6R (OK, it's a fun little mini bike, not stupid) runs like a top and has no issues and cost $6400 new. Is it a fire breathing beast? No. Does it stall? No. Actually, I can't find fault with it that doesn't revolve around power and a better rear shock. And I knew that going in. Hence the $6400.

I have to say my '05 KS lowered my expectations, so I may be less dissapointed, but I have to agree with everyone here. This is BS for a bike of this cost and a company that prides itself on "innovation". Innovation is only good if it works.

As far as the ethanol thing, I live right on the border of an urban area that requires ethanol in the mix, and a rural area that proudly bosts not having ethanol in their gas via a sign on every pump. I use both, and about equally. Seems to matter not at all. Still believe that certain brands (Citgo in particular) have spotty quality. But really, a modern vehicle should have enough margin for error to run on nearly any pump gas sold in the US.
'09 FZ6R Black
Carvin Icon 4
Carvin Icon 6
Modulus Quantum 4
Old 08-03-2009, 03:30 PM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC
10% ethanol is mandated by the EPA in the Houston/Harris County non-attainment area as a fuel oxygenate. We have no choice, even at the Chevron stations. Of course, my 2007 K12GT isn't stalling, either (knock on wood!)

Rusty

I have "inside" information that the new K14 will be "stall free"...

Old 08-03-2009, 03:33 PM
Ready Let's Go

Quote:

That's no excuse, BMW knew exactly what kind of fuel was, and is available in the US long before they made these bikes. It's there fault either way you cut it, not some corn farmers ethenol.
MOA Member #106320
Old 08-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I also have the stalling problem. It was happening prior to my 600 mile service and I asked the tech to check it out. He couldn't replicate it and said I had a fault error that indicated I was giving the bike throttle while starting it (I do NOT do this). I have just under 2000 miles on it now (4 weeks from purchase) and it happened to me 5 or 6 times while on a 120 mile jaunt with my sons yesterday. I will still keep complaining to my dealer for what it's worth. This never happened with any of my other bikes (2003 HD Road King, 2008 Yamaha R1 and 2008 Ducati 1098)
Old 08-03-2009, 04:24 PM
Shooting the gap

I was just putting the ethanol thing out there for public response. I certainly don't feel that there is ANY excuse for this as I also have the problem and paid a large sum of money for what I thought would be a well tested and sorted machine. I can understand the switch thing, outside vendors gone awry, but not the operation of the machine. That's BMW's responsibility 100% and I hold them responsible no matter what they may have done with the mapping. This goes back to the 2005K models, and still hasn't been resolved. As others have said, this is the FIRST machine I've ever had that did this, and I've had quiet a few to choose from.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:42 PM
Ready Let's Go

Quote:
I was just putting the ethanol thing out there for public response. I certainly don't feel that there is ANY excuse for this as I also have the problem and paid a large sum of money for what I thought would be a well tested and sorted machine. I can understand the switch thing, outside vendors gone awry, but not the operation of the machine. That's BMW's responsibility 100% and I hold them responsible no matter what they may have done with the mapping. This goes back to the 2005K models, and still hasn't been resolved. As others have said, this is the FIRST machine I've ever had that did this, and I've had quiet a few to choose from.

Agreed, hey maybe we would be better of with carburetors..
MOA Member #106320
Old 08-04-2009, 01:12 AM
Shooting the gap

What really bugs me about this whole thing is the dealers responses to people coming in and telling of stalling. Why should it matter if it stalls in front of a dealers tech, you or your mom? I seriously doubt ANY of us are making this up, what would be the gain? The dealers should have been logging complaints from the start and the Tech people at the Regional level should have been working on this MONTHS ago, not just recently as has been the case. I guess I'm lucky that my dealer is taking his third swing at trying to diagnose what is going on tomorrow, but from one service mgr to the other they say they never heard of the problem, even though I've been there twice already to have it looked at. I hope we come up with something tomorrow, even if it's a temporary fix because I'm not happy riding this machine anymore after hearing two guys went down from stalls.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:40 AM
Site Contributor

FWIW, I emailed BMW using the "contact us" option and told them that someone needs to be reading all the complaints about stalling on the i-bmw, k-bikes, and bmwsuperbikes websites in the hope that they will fix the problems.

BMW replied:
p{margin:0}Thank you for contacting BMW Motorrad USA. We are sorry to read of your disappointment with some of the design features [bold mine] of our motorcycles.

We appreciate that you took the time to provide us with this feedback. Your comments are important in helping us evaluate the needs and expectations of our valued BMW customers. Please be assured your comments will be forwarded to the appropriate department for review.

If you have any further questions, please respond to this e-mail or contact the Customer Relations and Services Department at 1-800-831-1117. Our office hours are Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time.

Regards,
Nate Galmish
BMW Motorrad USA

I guess I didn't know that "stalling" was a design feature.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:48 AM
Getting up to speed

Has anybody got a "real" ETA on the fix from BMWNA? The only account of a fix coming was from me, which came from the service department of BMW Dallas. Does anybody else have a confirmation and ETA direct from BMW?

I want to get a lemmon-law issue going (by reporting the problem, allowing them to try to fix it). In Texas; they get 2-3 tries. However, I can't even get them to look at the issue or take it on for this issue. Any suggestions on how to get this bike bought back under these laws (as a plan B)?
Old 08-04-2009, 09:39 AM

I don't know about Texas, but here is Wisconsin, your pretty much SOL on the Lemon Law unless the bike is unavailable for use. Here it's 4 trips to the dealer for one problem without a resolution, or 30 days unavailable to the driver (meaning at the dealer).

I forced the issue with my '05 KS by leaving it at the dealer while they tried to figure out a 900ma draw that kept leaving me stranded. The dealer knew what I was doing, and didn't try to get around it at all, because they too were frustrated by the lack of support from BMWNA. Eventually, the looming threat of passing the lemon law timeframe definitely greased the skids to get BMWNA interested, but my dealer had replaced the bike already because BMW Milwaukee is an excellent dealership.

So, at least here, if you want to force the issue, you need to tell the dealer you think it's unsafe to drive, and that your leaving it there until it's fixed. Make sure you tell them what your up to, so they can use it to press BMWNA. Make sure you tell them what the parameters of the Lemon Law are so they know you've researched it, and that you have no flexibility on any of them. A good dealer will use that to get the problem resolved. A bad dealer, well, a bad dealer won't do anything either way except argue until they have the fix.

It sucks, but it worked for me.
'09 FZ6R Black
Carvin Icon 4
Carvin Icon 6
Modulus Quantum 4
Old 08-04-2009, 09:50 AM
Twisted Wrister

Friend of mine with an new 09 GT had stalling problem after fueling up in Taos NM. We thought we would have to call for wrecker. It finally began to clear after much popping, several starts, and about 10 miles. I had no problem, but maybe used a different storage tank.

I've heard that Ethanol attracts water, and if in storage a long time(like a gas station) will absorb water which is heavier and sinks. Just a SWAG.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyblue
Friend of mine with an new 09 GT had stalling problem after fueling up in Taos NM. We thought we would have to call for wrecker. It finally began to clear after much popping, several starts, and about 10 miles. ....
That is very indicative of raw gas in the charcoal cannister.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:05 PM

For me the stalling has occurred after riding for an hour or two and sometimes with less than half a tank of gas. Where would raw gas in the canister be coming from?

2009 BMW K1300GT
2003 BMW R1150R
2000 Suzuki SV650
1996 Triumph Daytona Super III
Old 08-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Proud K13S owner

In europe I don't think they add ethanol to all fuels.
Still I have also the stalling problem.
I use premium fuels like Total Excellium or Shell V-Power.
As far as I am concerned the fuel is not the cause of the stalling of my bike.
The fuel injection is also automatically adapted to lower octane fuel.
K1300S (2014) Special Edition 30Year
Audi A4 (2002) -> bad weather
Old 08-04-2009, 04:01 PM

I honestly do not think it has anything to do with the gasoline. Of course, poor quality fuel may lead to various symptoms, but it is pretty obvious from reading the responses from people who run both Premium and lower quality gasoline, that the quality of the fuel does not seem to be the culprit. If gasoline would be the culprit, it should be possible to replicate the issue by switching from Premium to lower standard fuel and rectify the problem by switching from low quality to Premium fuel. That is not the case whatsoever, at least not with my vehicle.
When I first purchased my 2006 K12S I experienced a similar set of issues with the bike stalling. However, this problem was nowhere near as frequent nor did it continue after about 1500 miles. I spoke to several people about the issue while I was still working for BMW Motorcycles. None had a clue why the vehicle suffered from intermittent stalls. I talked to people outside BMW, such as Ken Zeller from Evoluzione, and his best guess was, that the vehicle's ECU was not mapped properly. I forget if he had concluded that the bike needed to run in a closed loop when idling, or if it was the other way around. In any case, I know Mr. Zeller owns a K12S himself and they did quite a bit of modification on his personal ride. Overriding the stock O2 sensor was one of the fixes Evoluzione used to offer as a fix for the issue with poor idling and 'bucking'. Other people have tried Dynojets and have seen a significant increase in fuel mileage, power and remedied the idling/stalling issue. The problem we are experiencing appears to be a problem with the ECU's calculation of fuel and air mixture when idling.
I have contacted a Danish BMW motorcycle club to see, if anyone back home has experienced this issue. It is plausible, that the North American bike's ECUs are programmed to operate differently due to variations in fuel and emission standards. In any case, this vehicle should have undergone extensive testing before becoming available to the public. Releasing a vehicle for sale with an issue of this magnitude is, in my humble opinion, outrageous and dangerous.
On another note, the validity of this issue is evident. Why would I turn my bike in for repairs that would keep me from riding it? Or, why would anyone claim this is occuring and subsequently spend this much time and effort only to report a non-existent issue?
If you have this issue with your bike, make ABSOLUTELY sure that your dealership has taken note of your issue and submitted a claim through PUMA. PUMA is the technical department in BMW NA motorcycles and without them knowing about the issue, it is non-existent. Thus, if you do not know if such a claim has been made to PUMA, your issue will not be recognized by BMW unless you have already filed a complaint with the FTC or NHTSA. In short, call your dealer and ask your service manager to report the issue to PUMA.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:02 PM
Shooting the gap

I was told by my dealer today that if you don't leave the bike they can't file a PUMA on it.
I haven't left it because I want to ride, not wait so there you go. He said he'd file some kind of Info report, but that was it. other than that, went to dealer today for diagnostics. Again no logged faults but we ran several other tests. O2 sensor tested fine, so that isn't the issue. Charcoal canister is fine. Map loaded in ECU WAS an OLD one, they flashed the latest one in, but nobody knows what the difference might be. The other odd thing is that we ran a temp sensor test and the result was wacky. The engine temp when warmed up was -142F. The oil temp was 62F and the intake air temp was -52F. The dealer believes the diagnostic machine program may be faulty, but he's checking with BMW to make sure these readings aren't correct. If they are, it seems like a possible cause. More when they get this sorted out.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:00 PM

Well, the dealer you spoke to, Videoguy, is absolutely wrong. I have had open PUMA cases on bikes that were allowed to leave the dealership. Now, if the particular issue is a safety hazard, Im sure any reputable dealership would insist on keeping the bike and provide a loaner until the issue is resolved.
PUMA is simply the support team that helps a dealership when they encounter problems the dealership is unable to resort. PUMA stands in direct contact with the engineering department and an incident report is only for the eyes of the dealership, unless the issue gets escalated to PUMA. PUMA is the only instance that is able to troubleshoot beyond the bulletins issued by BMW through DCS.net. Unfortunately, many service managers are reluctant to deal with PUMA, because PUMA have been known to be very slow to respond and often, the information coming out of a PUMA case is not enough to rectify the issue. Once PUMA acknowledges that there is in fact an issue, they are supposed to notify the development team and the engineering department to help troubleshoot and issue new bulletins/recalls. That is the bureaucratic step-by-step procedure that unfortunately can take weeks if not months. In the meantime, the customer is stuck with a faulty product that, in this case, may cause serious injury or death to the rider. Or, the vehicle will be sitting in the shop waiting for BMW to solve the issue. Either way, the customer is paying for a product that does not function correctly and probably should not be on the road. Call the service manager and insist that he opens a PUMA case. If he wants your bike in the shop, then have him provide a loaner until the bike is fixed.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:18 AM
Shooting the gap

Had a feeling I was getting the runaround on that one.....oh well, there are not that many dealers nearby to try, and the alternatives don't seem too receptive to the idea of doing anything about this until BMW says something officially about a fix.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:31 AM
Shooting the gap

The 4 times mine has stalled on me has been while the bike is not warmed to operating temp. I know that kinda screws up some thoughts.
Remus Hexicone
55W 6000K HID
Clear Alternative Lenses
2005 K12S (Blu Beemer) - Gone
Old 08-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Shooting the gap

Mine has stalled after 2 hrs of riding or after 10 minutes of riding, or stuck in bumper to bumper traffic with the cooling fan running, so no, I don't think being cold has anything to do with it.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Getting up to speed

Took my bike out for a 20 mile ride after coming home from work today.

Bike stalled on me twice at 311 miles and 318 miles. My bike has a total of 320 miles since getting it on July 18, 2009.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:29 PM
Shooting the gap

Sad to hear even the latest runs are doing it too, what was your bikes date of manufacture? Just curious. Be very careful downshifting in corners (you shouldn't be anyway ). The two that went down were shifting into first when the bike stalled and the wheel locked up, dumping them. make your shifts before the turn, that will at least give you a bit to straighten up if you should stall.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:43 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Sad to hear even the latest runs are doing it too, what was your bikes date of manufacture? Just curious. Be very careful downshifting in corners (you shouldn't be anyway ). The two that went down were shifting into first when the bike stalled and the wheel locked up, dumping them. make your shifts before the turn, that will at least give you a bit to straighten up if you should stall.

My bike's date of manufacture was February 2009.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:58 PM
Getting up to speed

Just saw this tonight

http://www.aboutautomobile.com/Compl...09/BMW/K1300+S
Old 08-06-2009, 01:33 AM

Thank you very much for the link, Dohc97! I can see my own complaint in there
But, there are only a total of 12 complaints...why are more people not reporting this? What does it take to get those couch potatoes up and moving? Please people, report this issue so we can be safe riders and enjoy our products! If not for your own sake, then for the sake of the rest of us. Im appealing to your sense of community here, dangit !!!
Old 08-06-2009, 08:28 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volken
Thank you very much for the link, Dohc97! I can see my own complaint in there
But, there are only a total of 12 complaints...why are more people not reporting this? What does it take to get those couch potatoes up and moving? Please people, report this issue so we can be safe riders and enjoy our products! If not for your own sake, then for the sake of the rest of us. Im appealing to your sense of community here, dangit !!!

There are actually 19 total complaints for the K 1300 S, K1300 S and K1300GT. People should start reporting thier problems to help everybody. We need numbers in here.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:12 AM
Shooting the gap

Dohc, did your service guys check which software version your ECU had? My bike was built in 11/08 and had SW vers. at least 2 revs back from the latest. They loaded the latest up, but I haven't had a chance to ride since, so I'll let everyone know if the stalling keeps up. Also just got off the phone with BMW Daytona about the temp sensor readings, and they had 2 bikes there that stalled that read almost the same as mine did in NJ, whch was the opposite of what they should have read. They are also checking into Diag software glitch.