I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 08-09-2014, 10:41 AM
(Moderator) Tries to be slick but fails
Thanked 1,578 Times in 627 Posts

New K1300S replacement is in development!

How I know is immaterial but suffice it to say that I have it on reasonably good authority that the K1300S replacement is in development at the moment. Given that we have seen the new Motorsport colour scheme for the 2015 model year we can hopefully expect to see the replacement in the 2016 model year.

This is good news for those like me who don't want a 1600GT and who have scratched the S1000RR itch. I rode mine today to pick up a part from a local dealer and reminded myself what a really good bike the K1300S is.
BMW R90S
The following (5) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Welshman' for this post:
Old 08-09-2014, 10:53 AM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,810 Times in 2,080 Posts

Re: New K1300S replacement is in development!

So, what are the refinements going to be?

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 08-09-2014, 11:03 AM

John

I've no idea but knowing that BMW do monitor websites such as this where they can pick up information on what the real world wants, maybe it'll shed some weight with much the same level of power and maybe some trick electronics. I'd still expect to see shaft drive and Hossack front end.

What do others think?
BMW R90S
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Welshman' for this post:
Old 08-09-2014, 11:34 AM

I'm hoping for:

1) all the upgraded electronics seen on the newest BMW models, all of them!!! including engine riding modes, fly by wire throttle, cruise control, lean angle

2) the HP dash would be nice

3) a rebuildable OEM shock or Ohlins

4) optional trim level packaging, i.e., the HP rearsets, CF, and exhaust, panniers

5) fix the clunky gearbox

There is no reason why this model can't have the same level of exclusivity of luxury in its class as does the K16 line, however, it would be nice to have some of these upgrades as packages that can be added by new owners, much like entry level, mid level, and luxury models on automobiles. They already do this with trim on the HP and Anniversary Models. The K13 platform is just too good to give up, especially if you are a large bodied American. Most of us ARE bigger than Europeans, and the S1000 platform is just too small!

As you mentioned Philip, BMW does read forums, and I hope they find this thread, as I suspect it will get busy.

Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'jargon' for this post:
Old 08-09-2014, 12:32 PM
(Moderator) Cocked and loaded...
Thanked 2,491 Times in 1,040 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to Kneedragger

Cruise control, please!!
The following (9) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Kneedragger' for this post:
Old 08-09-2014, 03:52 PM
Living the Dream

ESA should be updated to adjust front and rear preload not just rear.

Digital engine temperature display in degrees

Trim down the dry weight by 20-30 lbs

Add another gallon to the fuel tank.

Fix the side stand so that it is harder for the bike to roll forward.

Cruise control

A couple of switched power accessory outlets up front in the cockpit.

Fix the decel buzz between 3-4000rpm

Replace the stupid mirrors with a better design.

Display tire pressure all the time
The following (6) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'K13Mike' for this post:
Old 08-09-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K13Mike
ESA should be updated to adjust front and rear preload not just rear.

Digital engine temperature display in degrees

Trim down the dry weight by 20-30 lbs

Add another gallon to the fuel tank.

Fix the side stand so that it is harder for the bike to roll forward.

Cruise control

A couple of switched power accessory outlets up front in the cockpit.

Fix the decel buzz between 3-4000rpm

Replace the stupid mirrors with a better design.

Display tire pressure all the time

I can't see the need for engine temp to be displayed all the time. You have it in bars on the LH side of the display as it is.

Likewise the tyre pressures - the TPM system works that it comes up if the pressure drops. You can check the current TPs any time you choose.

Loose a bit of weight - 20 to 30 lbs would be good.

The mirrors are fine from my perspective.
BMW R90S
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Welshman' for this post:
Old 08-09-2014, 07:35 PM
Shooting the gap

I actually like the idea of showing temp all time. I was so used to of on S1000RR .
Little fat cut, bring quick shifter to same level as S1000rr,

I kinda like mirrors as they are clutch/throttle relation needs some improvement.

I am gald I picked up a 2012 and did not wait for 2015. Would have been so hard to convince wife an year later how great 2016 is
Old 08-09-2014, 07:44 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,576 Times in 1,208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jargon
I'm hoping for:

5) fix the clunky gearbox

Wait just a minute. For more than 40 years I've been riding BMW's with clunky gear boxes and it is too late to get use to something new. ( have to say my 2010 RT was pretty darn smooth though)

I've been saving my money for a "new" KxxxxS. Maybe this is it. The old 09 will live fondly in my memory and the corner of the garage if those folks in Germany come up with an equal with better stuff of course, time does march on.
S1000R
I need a Honda sport or better yet a Monkey
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:13 PM
Crashing the net!!!

It seems I have an entirely different perspective.

No surprise BMW keeps recycling the previous model, since it is the most badass biike ever maybe.

Sure a few tweaks might be nice, cruise control, quirk repair, but it seems obvioius to me that this may be a historically rare case where they just killed it and this bike is just so perfect, that they just keep selling it as is to the small market that is looking for the baddest of the bad sport touring bike.
Favorite current toys: NEW! 2016 Arctic Cat Wildcat X 1000 UTV! - '09 Light Gray K1300S daily driver 65k - '12 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 SP Corse 'round town scooter - '09 CRF450X , Plated - Snow Duty: '04 MB S500 4matic - Rain Duty: 2000 Corvette

"K1300S is the most refined sport bike I have ever had the pleasure of riding" -Wolfman
Old 08-09-2014, 08:46 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshman
John

I'd still expect to see shaft drive and Hossack front end.

God I hope so. If it doesn't it'll just be another gas swilling also-ran.

Flashing lights and trendy electronic nannies do not a motorcycle make!

2006 K1200R 'Bebe'
Wunderlich/Rizoma handlebar conversion
Acerbis "Dual road" hand guards
K&N conical air filter
SW-MOTEC crash bars
VERY LOUD "Stebel" horn.
Oberon clutch slave cyl.
Moto-Zen levers
Pyramid hugger.

GONE
2014 Triumph Rocket III Roadster 'Prudence'
Heated grips
Kaoka cruise control
Sport shield/Fly screen
Big o'l chrome engine-bars w/ highway pegs.
CRAZY LOUD "Denali" air horn.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'FR1956' for this post:
Old 08-10-2014, 03:42 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR1956
God I hope so. If it doesn't it'll just be another gas swilling also-ran.

Flashing lights and trendy electronic nannies do not a motorcycle make!

Agreed, the K1300 is one of the best bikes I've ever owned, but I would love to see :
1. Less weight
2. Definitely cruise control
3. Smoother gearbox

Not entirely sure what "ride by wire" is, but if only my 3 wishes come through, I'll be splashing out
Old 08-10-2014, 04:38 AM
Speed Demon

Hmmmm

A body work update
21liter fuel tank
Ohlins as an optional extra and decent light weight wheels instead of the usual BM stuff
Revised dash
High and low screen option so at least BM have done the wind tunnel work.
1400cc motor
I'd trade a little off the top end for a tad more on the bottom if you have ever ridden two up with gear against a big a twin you'll know what I mean.

Things I don't need.

Cruise control,the most I have ever used it in my car here in the UK is 5 minutes!!,and not much more use in Europe.
Tyre pressure sensors I know when my tyres are flat and I check before I use the bike.
20/30lbs less weight either knock a lot more off 75+ or concentrate on unsprung with a quality set of wheels as an optional extra.

BUT

Most of all build me a bike so I don't feel the need to have to run an extended warranty when the manafacturers runs out in 44 years of biking I have never felt the need to have to do so before which puts a continual strain on my ownership nothing to do with money far worse!!!! just the principal.

Mike

Your decal buzz can be fixed with a fuel map no problem,just frustrating that BM haven't sorted it.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'ChrisCannin' for this post:
Old 08-10-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCannin
Hmmmm

A body work update - I think that's a given but
21liter fuel tank - I think they'll stick with 19l - it gives enough range
Ohlins as an optional extra and decent light weight wheels instead of the usual BM stuff
Revised dash - the dash is good but you can bet it will be revised just so that it's different
High and low screen option so at least BM have done the wind tunnel work. - I think they'll leave alternative screens to the aftermarket people like MRA and Puig
1400cc motor
I'd trade a little off the top end for a tad more on the bottom if you have ever ridden two up with gear against a big a twin you'll know what I mean. - an extra 100cc ought to solve that.

Things I don't need.

Cruise control,the most I have ever used it in my car here in the UK is 5 minutes!!,and not much more use in Europe. - but our American colleagues would like it and that a big market so expect to see it as an option.

Tyre pressure sensors I know when my tyres are flat and I check before I use the bike - yes but TPM is very useful if you develop a slow puncture as you get alerted possibly before you are aware of the problem

20/30lbs less weight either knock a lot more off 75+ or concentrate on unsprung with a quality set of wheels as an optional extra

BUT

Most of all build me a bike so I don't feel the need to have to run an extended warranty when the manafacturers runs out in 44 years of biking I have never felt the need to have to do so before which puts a continual strain on my ownership nothing to do with money far worse!!!! just the principle - I think everyone would like BMW to put some pressure on the component manufacturers so we don't get irritating failures which you never seem to see on a Honda

See above
BMW R90S
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Welshman' for this post:
Old 08-10-2014, 09:04 AM
Speed Demon

Your connected well enough with BMW ask to see the service circular on the pre 07 clutches and what BM Germany expected the dealers to do,thats not outside supply it's crap design and just to prove my case BM re-designed the shaft and the clutch oh and changed the oil spec(twice) to help the job along.

Component suppliers make what BM tell them too.

As for tank size 19l is a waste of time normally look to use 16/17L then starting looking fuel even then your only talking 150 miles ish!! but when needs be will go a lot more hence why most of the time my K stays in the garage and I use either my 1100s or Tiger both with 25L and why I dimissed a Multistrada and more likely the new XR or what ever it's called where I can still ride to Dover to catch the ferry without stopping which makes my two old bikes way quicker and more convenient than my K over a 200 mile distance.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:05 AM
Site Contributor
Thanked 5,006 Times in 2,036 Posts

I'm presuming the K1300R will receive the same development, despite many views that it will be discontinued, I remain confident and hopeful that the K1300R will still be built. And being a very similar creature to the K1300S, here are my thoughts

- Cruise control.... Because we do have to use the freeway sometimes, and it beats a throttle lock or plastic throttle rocker.
- weight.... I'm not that fussed, some call these bikes, I quote "a fat pig" those guys on their full fairing 179kg sportsbikes probably don't ride in high wind and rain that often, (I experienced the winds around Philip Island for the first time this year) these bikes stay well planted to the road in the worst of conditions, and 217kg-R, and 227kg-S, still have these bikes lighter than the zx14, fjr1300, gtr1400, fatuglybusa.
- power..... Already heaps.... Some more... Yeah, why not!!
- suspension... ESA rebuildable ohlins or equivelant
- gadgets, technology, electronic features from other bikes, yeah why not, if you don't like them, turn them off.
- a trip meter than goes above 999km.... (That one really $hits me)
- looks, these are good looking bikes already, hope they don't screw that up with "something that grows on you after a while"
- and the engine buzz, think mine is gone, never really thought about it for a while until I read this thread, done 20,000km now.

All wishful thinking, and we all want different improvements or no improvements.
I guess reliability is the big one, switch gear, oil consumption, cam chain, engine buzz, etc etc.
none of us want to go through all that BS and more with the first new model blues that can be so common.

Cheers
Kiwimat

K1300S - 2011 Blue - 30,300km
R.I.P. - K1300R 2013 Red - 70,000km
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'KiwiMat' for this post:
Old 08-10-2014, 09:22 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
As for tank size 19l is a waste of time normally look to use 16/17L then starting looking fuel even then your only talking 150 miles ish!! but when needs be will go a lot more hence why most of the time my K stays in the garage and I use either my 1100s or Tiger both with 25L and why I dimissed a Multistrada and more likely the new XR or what ever it's called where I can still ride to Dover to catch the ferry without stopping which makes my two old bikes way quicker and more convenient than my K over a 200 mile distance.

Full to the brim, I was getting easy 200miles on my last big trip, with a full luggage load and my 106kg (233 pounds) fat a$$ on the bike, surprised your not getting better mileage out of town.

Cheers
Kiwimat

Old 08-10-2014, 10:11 AM
Crashing the net!!!

As for optional wheels, I read in an email from the dealer this week that for 2015 there is an optional motorsport edition which comes with better (lighter?) wheels and a graphics scheme that didn't appeal to me in the pic that was included.

http://www.wagnermotorsport.com/blog...m_medium=email

Favorite current toys: NEW! 2016 Arctic Cat Wildcat X 1000 UTV! - '09 Light Gray K1300S daily driver 65k - '12 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 SP Corse 'round town scooter - '09 CRF450X , Plated - Snow Duty: '04 MB S500 4matic - Rain Duty: 2000 Corvette

"K1300S is the most refined sport bike I have ever had the pleasure of riding" -Wolfman
Old 08-10-2014, 10:23 AM
Speed Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiMat
Full to the brim, I was getting easy 200miles on my last big trip, with a full luggage load and my 106kg (233 pounds) fat a$$ on the bike, surprised your not getting better mileage out of town.

Cheers
Kiwimat

I'd point you to your post about your South African friends who struggle with the NZ law and your comments about how your ride,I've only managed to get 150 miles before the fuel light comes on since I had the Rexxer map blown in.

My trip from house to the ferry at Dover is 206 miles the best we have done it with the traffic etc and have to get around London and the M25 is 2h30 so speed wise anything between 85/120,so allow 15L ish the fuel tank is 19L the fuel pick will be off the bottom of the tank and leave around a litre my MPG works out about right,we have it down to a fine art now where as some fuel stations are closer to the motorway for a quick splash and dash if need be

Hence why with a 25L tank there's no faffing about it just gung ho
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'ChrisCannin' for this post:
Old 08-10-2014, 10:26 AM
Speed Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRx
As for optional wheels, I read in an email from the dealer this week that for 2015 there is an optional motorsport edition which comes with better (lighter?) wheels and a graphics scheme that didn't appeal to me in the pic that was included.

http://www.wagnermotorsport.com/blog...m_medium=email

The trick is to do your home on who makes them,the kind of thing to avoid is the likes of AC Shitzer!! you need to be looking at PVM or Marchesini and if they are Marchesini are they mag alloy or full magnesium because the latter sure takes some looking after I have a full set of mags on my 1100s and they can be a hassle if you want them repainting etc.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Your connected well enough with BMW ask to see the service circular on the pre 07 clutches and what BM Germany expected the dealers to do,thats not outside supply it's crap design and just to prove my case BM re-designed the shaft and the clutch oh and changed the oil spec(twice) to help the job along.

Component suppliers make what BM tell them too.

These days I'm just a customer.

Personally I never had a problem with my late 2005 K12S's clutch. Yes it juddered a bit when pulling away but it worked fine. The fact is that cars and bikes are always under constant development so changes are always being introduced.

As for component suppliers of course they'll make what BMW tell them - my point is that BMW need to be more stringent about the level of quality the suppliers must deliver. Honda seem able to crack the whip with theirs. Things like the antenna ring issue should never occur.

I think BMW will stay with 19l which gives you an easy 150/170 range even if you're riding hard. 21l will only give you about another 20/25 miles and I think most people are ready for a break after 150/170. I can do Eurotunnel on a tank - 213 miles - if I stick at an indicated 80 but usually I'll stop at the new Cobham services.
BMW R90S
Old 08-10-2014, 11:07 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
I'd point you to your post about your South African friends who struggle with the NZ law and your comments about how your ride,I've only managed to get 150 miles before the fuel light comes on since I had the Rexxer map blown in.

Hence why with a 25L tank there's no faffing about it just gung ho

Hey Chris, i think you got me mixed up with someone else here, I don't have any South African friends( I still like them) , you must be thinking of someone else here.

Cheers
Kiwimat

Old 08-10-2014, 12:59 PM
Speed Demon

Quote:
Hey Chris, i think you got me mixed up with someone else here, I don't have any South African friends( I still like them) , you must be thinking of someone else here.

Cheers
Kiwimat

Haha

My mistake too many websites I've had a Kiwi complaining to me about the Police in NZ on the Pelican.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:06 PM
Shooting the gap

Interesting thread Welshman. When I was at the dealer a couple of weeks ago having the hp4 serviced, I was flip flopping about changing my KR. New KR? Nine-T? Maybe change for a different model? The sales manager whom I'd purchased my hp4 from last year said to wait 6 months, a few new things on the horizon, but no clues. Suits me fine.

Then I did a full day on my KR up north (pics to follow when I get the time) and I fell in love with it all over again. Just tweak it please bmw, and paint the engine with something that doesn't bubble off .
Old 08-10-2014, 01:17 PM
Speed Demon

Quote:
These days I'm just a customer.

Personally I never had a problem with my late 2005 K12S's clutch. Yes it juddered a bit when pulling away but it worked fine. The fact is that cars and bikes are always under constant development so changes are always being introduced.

As for component suppliers of course they'll make what BMW tell them - my point is that BMW need to be more stringent about the level of quality the suppliers must deliver. Honda seem able to crack the whip with theirs. Things like the antenna ring issue should never occur.

I think BMW will stay with 19l which gives you an easy 150/170 range even if you're riding hard. 21l will only give you about another 20/25 miles and I think most people are ready for a break after 150/170. I can do Eurotunnel on a tank - 213 miles - if I stick at an indicated 80 but usually I'll stop at the new Cobham services.

Well what can I say,my first two clutch's sounded like yours and I wasn't prepared to put up with it period I've never had a bike with such a bad clutch and I got it fixed in the end!!!

Cobham service!! they have been open just a few years and until then that's just the previous 30 odd years I've gone on the east side of the 25(because of fuel) and before that straight through the middle of London,but having to look at my route because of size of my fuel tank isn't my thing hence my complaint,any wonder the GS has sold so many bikes.

Re needing a break at that distance I do too but that's not the point you've no leeway with 19L,I've ridden 150 miles and ridden another 50 trying to find fuel on many occasions

As for riding at 80mph on a K12/1300 but your not alone I come across loads of folks riding at that speed on big bikes which maybe could be a separate thread.

Regardless there's still a market for a K1400s/r
Old 08-10-2014, 01:27 PM
Crashing the net!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soofsayer
Interesting thread Welshman. When I was at the dealer a couple of weeks ago having the hp4 serviced, I was flip flopping about changing my KR. New KR? Nine-T? Maybe change for a different model? The sales manager whom I'd purchased my hp4 from last year said to wait 6 months, a few new things on the horizon, but no clues. Suits me fine.

Then I did a full day on my KR up north (pics to follow when I get the time) and I fell in love with it all over again. Just tweak it please bmw, and paint the engine with something that doesn't bubble off .

The flaw in your logic is that you are not supposed to replace bikes, you're supposed to add bikes.

Old 08-10-2014, 01:42 PM

Does anyone have any other 'wants' that you'd like to see in a new version?

Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
Old 08-10-2014, 01:54 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Quote:
See above
Add a slipper clutch!!!
Old 08-10-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jargon
Does anyone have any other 'wants' that you'd like to see in a new version?
SLIPPER CLUTCH!! LOL
Old 08-10-2014, 06:16 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRx
The flaw in your logic is that you are not supposed to replace bikes, you're supposed to add bikes.

Thanks, makes so much more sense...
Old 08-11-2014, 05:07 AM

Quote:
As for riding at 80mph on a K12/1300 but your not alone I come across loads of folks riding at that speed on big bikes which maybe could be a separate thread.

It's usually a bit faster but there's no point in ragging the bike down a motorway.

1. You'll get nicked sooner or later

2. You'll rip the centre out of the tyre

3. Any twat can ride fast in a straight line.
BMW R90S
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Welshman' for this post:
Old 08-11-2014, 07:58 AM
Speed Demon

Quote:
It's usually a bit faster but there's no point in ragging the bike down a motorway.

1. You'll get nicked sooner or later

2. You'll rip the centre out of the tyre

3. Any twat can ride fast in a straight line.

Now that's an interesting post that has a direct relationship to the well being of the K line,so I'll answer it twice!!

I agree with all of the above in one sense and that takes you on to why buy K12/13 or any other hypersports bike because sales say fast Traillie type bikes are what's selling Triumph developed such a hyper bike and ditched the whole project because of the poor sales forcast and even Honda haven't brought out a new BB or Yamaha,what exactly is the point of having a 160hp+ bike if your not going to use it,of course outsiders will tell you it's very simple it's called small penis syndrome,80's and 90's I ran various FJ1200's from 99 till 09 I didn't own a hyper bike because reality and experience told me I didn't need one the trick to travelling long distance quickly is a big fuel tank not a fast engine.

Non of which stopped me buying a K to feed a speed addiction so to be honest unless I'm going to be on wide open roads I don't use it doesn't go around a corner any quicker than my other bikes and certainly not my SuperMoto so the concept of owning one of these things is dubious at best and hence why sales of such ain't great if they were just like the big traillie market everyone would be building such.

My second answer as UK resident.

With introduction of 2/300HP turbo diesel cars which everyman and his dog seems to have including me 90/95mph will not keep you in the outside lane on any motorway for any length of time in the UK never mind the pros and cons that's the reality,so the 'No point in ragging the bike down the motorway' everyone does it'

Getting nicked!!! we don't have radars forward or backwards on the UK motorways you'll need to have an unmarked car up you chuff and doing over 100 mph then you will,but having had a conviction because I was witnessed 'to have handled a plastic bag' whilst driving my van and was 'Done' under the same law as the mobile phone one running at 95 holds no fears for me and when I'm getting frigged about by some muppet in the said turbo diesel car the K motor will respond but in fairness so will my modded Tiger and 1100s.

Ripping the center of the tyre out!! hmmm in the days of Bridgestones 014 yup your right I've squared a tyre off on the Dover run,fast forward to 2007 and dual compound tyres those days are long gone.

As for any twat can ride fast in a straight line in a literal sense your right but on the M40 and the M25 I'd say I undertake more than I over take straight line(no wonder I got on so well in California just had to slow down) you'll be lucky,which brings me to my own personal soap box!! come across a traffic jam on the motorway and have a look at your modern day biker trying to filter in the traffic or not!! as the case maybe be,people in the south east excluded because the riding ability is a league better than the rest of the UK,I see as many Twats riding slow as I do fast!!.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:32 AM
Site Contributor

Seems that the response from the K1300S and R owners may/is going to vary between riders with 1 bike (K1300S/R) and the riders with more than one bike, that, for whatever reason, prefer and compare the qualities of their other bikes with the K1300's.
I'm not having a go, I wish I had more than one bike, I'm trying to point out that for the one bike owners like me, and plenty others, that just want an all-round bike for everything, these bikes are just perfect, it's a sports tourer!

Cheers
Kiwimat

Old 08-11-2014, 10:58 AM
Debbie's Servant
Thanked 3,820 Times in 1,788 Posts

Quote:
John

maybe it'll shed some weight with much the same level of power and maybe some trick electronics. I'd still expect to see shaft drive and Hossack front end.

What do others think?

Sounds good to me except the front end.
I would like to see a front suspension without the ball joint design.
$800 every 30,000 miles to replace the ball joints is a bit much for someone who likes to keep a bike a long time.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S
03 K1200RS, 91 K75S, 87 K75T, 84 R100RT

The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Lee' for this post:
Old 08-11-2014, 11:24 AM
Supporting Vendor

Cruise of course. Maybe 20 or so less pounds. Leave the fairings as is. Find a fix for 1st gear clunk. BMW or aftermarket adjustable grips with fore and aft angle adjustment not just up and back. That's my biggest "complaint", a way to relieve the pressure/stress on the wrists. Oh, and it better be Lava Orange..............
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Howkan' for this post:
Old 08-11-2014, 03:32 PM
Thanked 2,070 Times in 1,417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Sounds good to me except the front end.
I would like to see a front suspension without the ball joint design.
$800 every 30,000 miles to replace the ball joints is a bit much for someone who likes to keep a bike a long time.

Interesting comment, I have never had issues about premature wear of the ball joints, and I don't think you use your bike in intense rain or wash the bike with high pressure water...
Old 08-11-2014, 05:15 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Seems that the response from the K1300S and R owners may/is going to vary between riders with 1 bike (K1300S/R) and the riders with more than one bike, that, for whatever reason, prefer and compare the qualities of their other bikes with the K1300's.
I'm not having a go, I wish I had more than one bike, I'm trying to point out that for the one bike owners like me, and plenty others, that just want an all-round bike for everything, these bikes are just perfect, it's a sports tourer!

Cheers
Kiwimat

I've got 2 bikes and I agree with your opinion.

If I had to choose only one bike, and that time may come, I'd happily choose 'just' to have a KR. It does everything (rather well IMO), not much else does.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Soofsayer' for this post:
Old 08-11-2014, 09:36 PM
Debbie's Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardo
Interesting comment, I have never had issues about premature wear of the ball joints, and I don't think you use your bike in intense rain or wash the bike with high pressure water...

We do end up riding in a lot of rain.
Not by choice

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Lee' for this post:
Old 08-11-2014, 09:39 PM
Debbie's Servant

Quote:
maybe some trick electronics.

Switches that work would really be neat. I would check the box for that option

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S

Old 08-11-2014, 09:51 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

For those of us who sometimes use our K1300S for sport-TOURING:

1. Cruise control.
2. Cruise control.
3. Body styling is generally fine (especially the K1300S revision), but BMW needs to flatten out the big bulges below the passenger seat, which would allow the backside of the panniers to not curve in (or at least not so much) which would significantly improve the volume and utility of the panniers, and not to mention make the rear bodywork styling match the front bodywork styling better. Keep the body looking German.
4. Throttle-by-wire. That would seem to be a given in any engine update.
5. Instruments. I like analog instruments on this type of bike, but make the speedo and tach both white, both gray, or both black . . . but make them the same color. My vote would be black faces, white numbers, blue lighting, and red-illuminated needles, but that's just me.
6. Keep the suspension design, with maybe some of the improvements noted by others. It's what the makes the Big-K the Big-K.
7. Engine power and torque? Seems fine as it is. Work on sophistication. Fuel mileage is great for the power and torque this engine delivers.
8. Fuel capacity? Even increasing capacity to 5.5 gallons (although 6 would be better) would increase the range just enough so you're not having to start looking for fuel too early. At 75 mph cruising, my bike routinely goes 200-210 miles in using 4.5 gallons (0.5 gallons left in the tank).
9. Cruise control, which should be easy once they convert to throttle-by-wire.

However, the K1300S's replacement is going to have to be one HELL of an improvement to tempt me out of my 2013 before it has a lot more miles on it (17,300 and counting).

2013 BMW K1300S "30 Years"
1995 BMW R1100RS
1988 BMW K75S
1997 Ducati 916 Monoposto
1995 Ducati 900SS CR
Old 08-11-2014, 10:58 PM
Crashing the net!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Switches that work would really be neat. I would check the box for that option

Made me laugh on that one Lee.

Just thought I'd mention 39, 000 miles on my 09, plenty of rain riding and rained on and no problems here with ball joints or switches.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:21 PM

Told the wife that there might be an up grade K bike in 2016. She said buy it.
S1000R
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 08-12-2014, 01:36 PM
Shooting the gap

anyone wants to swap wives ? You are lucky.

I wont even talk about it till the day I see a 2016 in person
Old 08-12-2014, 03:51 PM
Speed Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech
Told the wife that there might be an up grade K bike in 2016. She said buy it.

Told the wife there's going to be a 1000F or XR she says 'Your not going to sell anything are you'
Old 08-12-2014, 05:10 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Told the wife there's going to be a 1000F or XR she says 'Your not going to sell anything are you'

I'm thinking intonation might be important here.

1995 BMW R1100RS
1988 BMW K75S
1995 Ducati 900SS CR
Old 08-13-2014, 05:13 AM
Shooting the gap

i would hope for the same package level as the 2015 R12GS > cruise control, slipper clutch, quickshifter up/down ... the dynamic suspension they can keep, imho

(maybe ... if there is an "R" version ... could we pretty please get a "copy&paste" of the "Concept 6" design, just a little bit ? )
Old 08-14-2014, 04:29 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

No one's mentioned the headlights. The current bike has a really large and dated looking headlight unit with bulbs that seem to keep blowing at inopportune moments. I'd like to see a couple of smaller LED lamps to give the front of the bike a more modern look with better lighting as well.
I agree with all the other suggestions as well, particularly updating the electronics and suspension, lighter weight and LCD instruments. Here's hoping.....
Old 08-15-2014, 01:45 AM
K-bike addict...part time mod
Thanked 1,461 Times in 672 Posts

Send a message via MSN to K-Man! Send a message via Skype™ to K-Man!
Smile New K1300R replacement is in development!

- K1300R replacement:
Twin headlights, better mirrors and a digital speedo integrated into the analogue one, and of course the S1000R cruise control! Also grips made from material that doesn't wear within 20000 kms and slightly more padding on the seat
And to really top it off, I wouldn't mind the option of a small lockable aerodynamically designed BMW top box!

...when in doubt, twist the throttle and go for it...

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'K-Man!' for this post:
Old 08-15-2014, 02:29 AM
Crashing the net!!!

I really like the existing headlight, 3x bulbs so if you burn one out still plenty of light to get you to the bulb store

Locking top box interesting idea.

I'm mostly satisfied, just like to see fixing the stalling issue, although my ducati stalled today at idle, it happens.

Otherwise, the other day I had a couple of thoughts, K1600S, or even better inline 3 cyl. KxxxxS for a bit more bottom end.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:02 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Having had both a K1600GT and a K1300S

I would not put a 6 in the K1300 - too heavy, especially at low speeds.

The fantastic Halogen steerable headlamp - put it on the K1300
Improved instrumentation - The electronic display from the K1600 was fab - seems to be electronics only - put it on the K1300
Keyless - useful
Larger panniers - but not ones that stick out -central locking would be useful
Removable top box with brake light - useful
DAB radio - maybe?
LED rear indicators
Better GPS integration into the body
Improved electronic / software GPS integration
Anything that lightens the bike
Improved fuel filling ( I had to drill my fuel neck - but they may have changed now)
All of the electronic suspension modes of the 1000RR
Fantastic mirrors of the K1600 - the K1300 were ok, but not in the same league as the k1600
New battery technology - Lithium Metal hydride - which have more power density and are lighter and smaller.
Carbon parts - like the motorsport model as a package.....

Start with this....
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'norskman' for this post:
Old 08-16-2014, 10:40 AM
Getting up to speed

What do you guys think of this S1000F?

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bike...nicolas-petit/
http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bike...00f-spy-photo/

That was posted in reference to the 2015 K1300S "Swan Song" article here:

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bike...ort-swan-song/

Then there's this "New sport tourer based on S1000RR platform" here:

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/rumo...-s1000f-rumor/

It's fun to speculate, but I must say, I don't like the angular lines of the S1000F. One of the things I love about my K13S is its rounded lines and its "sporty" side of sport-touring. Whatever comes for the K1300S, I hope it's closer to the S1000RR than it is this S1000F in terms of its lines, and less like the GS, with its "beak" and off road look.

Things I'd like match up with what others have posted:

- Updated instrument panel
- Updated head lamps
- Cruise control
- Maybe the adjustable wind screen, or at least a "tall setup" option
- Adjustable foot pegs and seat
- Perhaps a slightly larger fuel capacity
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Kindjal' for this post:
Old 08-18-2014, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindjal
What do you guys think of this S1000F?

Then there's this "New sport tourer based on S1000RR platform" here:

It's fun to speculate, but I must say, I don't like the angular lines of the S1000F. One of the things I love about my K13S is its rounded lines and its "sporty" side of sport-touring. Whatever comes for the K1300S, I hope it's closer to the S1000RR than it is this S1000F in terms of its lines, and less like the GS, with its "beak" and off road look.

Matt, BMW is obviously trying to capitalize on the S1000 platform by introducing all these different versions, but you know what? I won't fit on any of them...never going to happen...so, I only care about those that I like and can fit on. I do know that most people don't have my size problem, I get that.

To answer your question, I don't think they look any better or worse than any other brands variations, but BMW's all look like garage chopped S1K's to me...just sayin'

Trying to get back on topic, BMW has done most of the heavy lifting R&D spend on their S1K platform, leveraging their investment to other models.

This is why I have hopes they will continue the K13S/R into a newer, updated version...their big R&D spend has already taken place here as well, number one. Number two, all the major brands still have models in the Sport Touring range, all of which have recently caught up to the K13's existing technology.

All BMW has to do is adapt their newest electronics to a new K Sport Tourer that is smaller than a tour bus, and they will dominate that segment for another 5 years...F8GT, K13S/R, K16...three distinct offerings in the segment for distinctly different customers.

It just makes good business sense...to me.

Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
Old 08-18-2014, 10:04 AM

I think BMW Motorad needs to do some advertising to let buyers know about the K1300s. When I purchased mine in 2010 after riding Honda's since 1984,I did not know about the K1200s which I now own. I always pictured BMW as having motors sticking out the side of the bikes not knowing that styles have changed. We always see commercials about the Ultimate Driving Machine but non for the Ultimate Riding Machine I have 2 friends that brought a K12 and a K13 because of the conversations about my K12 and the ability to do most of my own maintenance and repairs. Compared to a ZX-14 and Hayabusa the K series bikes comes with the best warranty and looks good with or without saddle bags and it's nice to stand out in a crowd of cookie cutters. Sure we have some recalls and quirks but the BMW holds it's value well past the other brands that I've seen. I've never seen a dealership with a bunch of K13's just sitting around so they must be selling well enough to keep moving stock. The S1000RR has brought a younger crowd to BMW and those of us that don't want a full tourer can have that K13 option to move to when our backs are not gear towards the leaned over position of a true sports bike. BMW needs to shock the industry with a K14s like they did with the S1KRR!! Shorten the wheelbase,add a slipper clutch,aftermarket shocks,paint all the plastic (get rid of that black bottom) full exhaust,etc. Sorry I gave 5 cents instead of 2 cents but keep the change
Old 08-18-2014, 12:12 PM
Shooting the gap

I have to agree 100 %. SR was a great bike for long I kept it , KS fits my riding style so well. Japs offer no 3 year warrenty because they not sure if their bike will hold good for 3 years

Would love to see a more refined fat free KS. Don't care much for carbon personally .

Least would like to see is more modern body style, weight cut, have center stand standard, improved instrumentation, cruise and front/back ESA
Old 08-18-2014, 01:59 PM

I can see 20 or 30 lbs lighter if possible, certainly not heavier. But, part of what makes this a sport tourer is having some heft to it. A 450 lb go fast bike makes a poor tool to ride many days on a trip imhp. All the lighter, shorter stuff points to just buying a S1000X why compete with that bike and it's sales. Keep the K1300/1400 a fast "touring bike".
S1000R
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 08-18-2014, 02:43 PM
Site Contributor

i would have bought another k1300s instead of a k1600gt but there was no reason to buy another ks since nothing has changed between my 2009 bike and a 2014. time to change the fairing, i'd like to see a bump in HP, as other have mentioned upgraded electronics and cruise control.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:36 PM
Shooting the gap

you're all saying:
"aw ... the bike is soo heavy ... make it lighter ..."

you do realize ... it is already lighter then the suzi and the kawa ... right ??

sure, if bmw can loose a kg here or there ... fine with me ... can't hurt ... but it for sure isn't on top of my list ... i mean ... there has to be a reason, why the suzi, with her "basic/traditional technic" isn't lighter ... maybe bmw is already near perfect "body mass index"
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'JHB1984' for this post:
Old 08-19-2014, 08:35 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRx
I really like the existing headlight, 3x bulbs so if you burn one out still plenty of light to get you to the bulb store

This, and easy interchangeability among the three bulbs. I do wonder if two low-beam bulbs and one high-beam bulb, like the earlier R1200RT, would be better. It seems more likely to burn-out a low-beam bulb, since they are on all the time, and this in essence gives you a running spare if you do burn out a low-beam bulb. It is (or seems to be, since I have not actually done it yet, but only changed a low-beam bulb for a new one) pretty simple to swap one of the high-beam bulbs for a burned-out low-beam bulb. Maybe BMW feels that two high-beam bulbs are better for, ahem, high-speed cruising at night.

1995 BMW R1100RS
1988 BMW K75S
1995 Ducati 900SS CR
Old 08-19-2014, 08:38 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech
I can see 20 or 30 lbs lighter if possible, certainly not heavier. But, part of what makes this a sport tourer is having some heft to it. A 450 lb go fast bike makes a poor tool to ride many days on a trip imhp. All the lighter, shorter stuff points to just buying a S1000X why compete with that bike and it's sales. Keep the K1300/1400 a fast "touring bike".

^ This, which is why weight reduction was not on my list. This is not a "sport" bike. This is a big, high-speed, shaft-driven, "sport-touring" bike.

1995 BMW R1100RS
1988 BMW K75S
1995 Ducati 900SS CR
Old 08-20-2014, 07:42 PM

My K13 replacement will be the S1000F