I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 04-21-2017, 06:57 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

I love this bike

Just got back from a 100 mile round trip, cruising down A1A. I have a '15 13s MS. Every time I take her out, I'm reminded of how much I love this bike. I really don't ever see me trading it in on anything, ever. No cruise, no big deal, it came with a throttlemeister, works perfectly. The previous owner bought it new, spent thousands of dollars on carbon fiber and other nice bits, and sold it when it had 1404 miles on it. Bad for him, great for me. On a side note, he must of broke it in right or I am just lucky, 1500 miles since my oil change and not a drop of oil. I love this bike!
The following (4) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Surfer' for this post:
Old 04-21-2017, 07:08 PM
Site Contributor

Re: I love this bike

Congrats. Sounds like you got a good deal. BTW, I have 28k on my bike and it still doesn't burn any oil. Awesome machines!

Black 2013 k1300s
Mandarin/Titan Silver Metallic 1999 r1100s

Past BMWs
09 k13s, 06 k12s, 05k12s, 86 k11rs, 74 r90s
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'bobby' for this post:
Old 04-21-2017, 07:13 PM
Thanked 1,442 Times in 816 Posts

Hey surfer. I know what you're saying. I feel the same about my 08k12r. My riding buddies have k13s and for a time I drooled over them. (Old age is a bastard ) Bought new and 90000km later I still marvel every time I take it for a ride. Never let me down. No final drive / seal issues. Original esa suspension and uses no oil. What great machines the 1200/1300 s/r bikes are.

2008 K1200R - B1.
2009 HP2 Sport. - B2
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Capt Howdy' for this post:
Old 04-21-2017, 07:21 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Im right there with you, I just have over 1300 miles on mine now, I still cant get over how fast it is, I always felt my K1200RS moved pretty good, but there's no comparison, and the more I ride it the more comfortable the riding position is. Only thing I cant seem to get a handle on is the clutch release, being that it releases almost at the end of the travel its hard to take off smoothly unless im really thinking about it. Sometime I feel like this is the first time I've riden with a clutch
Old 04-21-2017, 07:27 PM
Site Contributor

Dan. If you have adjusted the lever so that it's as close to the grip as possible and the engagement point is still too far away, you may want to look into aftermarket levers like the Pazzos.

Black 2013 k1300s

Past BMWs
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'bobby' for this post:
Old 04-21-2017, 07:29 PM
Shooting the gap

Sounds like you got a great deal on a great bike! I very much miss my K13S. Enjoy it!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'EitanDC' for this post:
Old 04-21-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs530
Im right there with you, I just have over 1300 miles on mine now, I still cant get over how fast it is, I always felt my K1200RS moved pretty good, but there's no comparison, and the more I ride it the more comfortable the riding position is. Only thing I cant seem to get a handle on is the clutch release, being that it releases almost at the end of the travel its hard to take off smoothly unless im really thinking about it. Sometime I feel like this is the first time I've riden with a clutch
Yeah, I wanted to ask guys on the forum, has anyone ever pinned the throttle back on one of these machines, 1st through 3rd? I roll it on pretty hard but never a sudden pin, like flooring a pedal on a car. I don't think you could hang on. Clutch is precise, you have to concentrate to shift smoothly (the previous owner installed adjustable Pazzos so that helps) or you're using the quick shift of course. I had a guy on a Suzuki pull up next to me today at a stoplight and he looked like he just saw a young naked Jennifer Aniston. A couple of fist pumps and compliments and then I showed him the acceleration of this beast when the light turned green. Awesome day.......
Old 04-21-2017, 07:47 PM
Site Contributor

I remember I used to do some full throttle tuning/testing on my K12R with some mods.
The hit the bike had in 2nd gear was so hard, my vision would blur for a split second.
Hardest accelerating bike I've been on...
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'jcw' for this post:
Old 04-21-2017, 07:47 PM
Founder, I-BMW & Huge HD Fan
Thanked 1,599 Times in 866 Posts

Send a message via MSN to vics Send a message via Yahoo to vics Send a message via Skype™ to vics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer
Just got back from a 100 mile round trip, cruising down A1A.
Just wait until you get her into some CURVES! Head up to the GA mountains & the Blue Ridge and you'll have found heaven
Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Thanks!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'vics' for this post:
Old 04-21-2017, 07:53 PM
Entering the on-ramp

If I change out the levers that will change the release of the clutch? I would really like to be able to get a smooth take off! I like the short release once moving, but defiantly don't like it at take off, I haven't riden in the rain yet with it, but I worry I'll take off a little too fast from the light in the rain. Where do you guys suggest I purchase these from??
Old 04-21-2017, 08:13 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Yeah, I wanted to ask guys on the forum, has anyone ever pinned the throttle back on one of these machines, 1st through 3rd? I roll it on pretty hard but never a sudden pin, like flooring a pedal on a car. I don't think you could hang on. Clutch is precise, you have to concentrate to shift smoothly (the previous owner installed adjustable Pazzos so that helps) or you're using the quick shift of course. I had a guy of a Suzuki pull up next to me today at a stoplight and he looked like he just saw a young naked Jennifer Aniston. A couple of fist pumps and compliments and then I showed him the acceleration of this beast when the light turned green. Awesome day.......

When I first bought my K13S, someone on this forum told me go someplace straight and empty, get it rolling at about 5k RPM and then peg the throttle.

Suffice it to say, the acceleration is something I've never felt on any other bike and the wheel WILL come off the ground until the traction control figures out what an idiot you are and brings you safely back down. It's a fun time...

I went from the K13 to the S1000XR, which I liked and is fast, but has no where near the brute force of the K13. I've also had my K13 up to about 175mph on the autobahn in Germany and it felt totally stable. The XR felt downright scary at 130.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'EitanDC' for this post:
Old 04-21-2017, 08:31 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I have an '07 1200 GT. I know these machines are similar and I too love it. One reply in this thread mentioned pegging it at 5K rpm. My question is: With all the reports I've read about clutch rattle, timing chain problems and weak final drives on these generational bikes, I'm concerned about undue wear and tear on the parts of pushing too hard. I get a thrill with fairly normal riding acceleration, but I want more and am afraid to put that much stress on the machine because I can't afford unnecessary repairs. Anyone care to comment? Thanks
Old 04-21-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
If I change out the levers that will change the release of the clutch? I would really like to be able to get a smooth take off! I like the short release once moving, but defiantly don't like it at take off, I haven't riden in the rain yet with it, but I worry I'll take off a little too fast from the light in the rain. Where do you guys suggest I purchase these from??
http://www.pazzoracing.com/
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Surfer' for this post:
Old 04-21-2017, 09:25 PM
Site Contributor
Thanked 5,006 Times in 2,036 Posts

Quote:
Yeah, I wanted to ask guys on the forum, has anyone ever pinned the throttle back on one of these machines, 1st through 3rd? I roll it on pretty hard but never a sudden pin, like flooring a pedal on a car. I don't think you could hang on. Clutch is precise, you have to concentrate to shift smoothly (the previous owner installed adjustable Pazzos so that helps) or you're using the quick shift of course. I had a guy on a Suzuki pull up next to me today at a stoplight and he looked like he just saw a young naked Jennifer Aniston. A couple of fist pumps and compliments and then I showed him the acceleration of this beast when the light turned green. Awesome day.......

I have been known to pin the throttle a bit. You really need to take it to the redline in 2nd and 3rd to get the full effect. Towards the redline the front gets light and the rear of the bike is squirming, and that with my 105kg fat ass on it!
Going from Khancoban to Dead Horse Gap on the last Australian Rally, there were a lot of suspicious black lines out of corners......... aim, get into corner but not to hot, roll on, PIN, black lines. Rear view mirror was still full of Wardy, Mogs and Astro!
Heroics and jokes aside, the acceleration is seriously insane, get to know the bike before you get too crazy, maybe learn how to stop it first.
Have Fun!

K1300S - 2011 Blue - 30,300km
R.I.P. - K1300R 2013 Red - 70,000km
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'KiwiMat' for this post:
Old 04-21-2017, 11:07 PM
Shooting the gap

I'm really liking my '11 K1300S too. Mine has all the extras except Alarm. It had only 1,148 miles when I bought it in August 2016. It was like buying a new motorcycle for 1/2 price!

As for the acceleration...it's like "Whoa Killah!". The vengeful, sudden annihilation sounds from the Motor only adds to the sense of "all conquering" speed. If this bike could talk it'd say "We're gonna exact revenge and demand Tribute von alle Schweinhunden das wir absolut kaputt machen kann!"

In reality, its the poor rear Tire that's taking a genuine rubber melting, pulverizing, merciless beating. I'm glad my Pirelli Angel GT seems up to the task so far.

I agree with KiwiMat - learn how to stop quickly before going fast. I gotta say the Part-Integral Brakes and ABS work super! The Anti-Dive aspect of the Hossack Front Fork reduces the drama of quick stops as well.
'11 K1300S, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Corbin Seat, Low-Beam HID, High Beam LEDs, Centerstand, Illmburger CF-Rear Hugger, Fenda Extenda, Philips 8-LED-DRL, Pair of 18W LED Flood Lamps, Rear Luggage Rack, Grip-Puppies, R&G Aero Sliders, OEM Hard Bags, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn, Bar-End Throttle Lock, Zumo 660LM, Nelson-Rigg Tankbag, Fuel Filler Neck Vent Holes, Aluminum Kickstand Foot, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers, Cobra SP2 Slip-On Muffler. Color: Red/Black.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'R111S' for this post:
Old 04-22-2017, 11:13 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiMat
I
Heroics and jokes aside, the acceleration is seriously insane, get to know the bike before you get too crazy, maybe learn how to stop it first.
Have Fun!
Good advice from Mat. Also, try to do a track day or two. Fastest way to get to know the limits of these bike, and its a hell of a lot of fun. Be safe - we want you newbies to be part of this forum for a long time.

Black 2013 k1300s

Past BMWs
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'bobby' for this post:
Old 04-22-2017, 11:23 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by calypso
I have an '07 1200 GT. I know these machines are similar and I too love it. One reply in this thread mentioned pegging it at 5K rpm. My question is: With all the reports I've read about clutch rattle, timing chain problems and weak final drives on these generational bikes, I'm concerned about undue wear and tear on the parts of pushing too hard. I get a thrill with fairly normal riding acceleration, but I want more and am afraid to put that much stress on the machine because I can't afford unnecessary repairs. Anyone care to comment? Thanks
I have never heard of a link between those issues and running these bikes hard. Clutch rattle is not unusual and the cam chain tensioner can be easily upgraded. Final drive failures happen, but are rare as long as proper maintenance is done. My advice - ride it like you stole it and don't worry.

Black 2013 k1300s

Past BMWs
Old 04-22-2017, 07:08 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Thanks for your comment, Bobby. I haven't had this bike very long and I guess my brain is just wired to go easy on machinery and it lasts longer. But comments like yours, give me reassurance in twisting the throttle with a little less worry factor and a lot more Yee! Hah! factor.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:08 AM
Getting up to speed

Delete.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:10 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by calypso

The K1300's do not share a lot of the issues that plagued the K1200's. BMW basically had Ricardo (the geniuses that engineered the Bugatti Veyron transmission) take a K1200S and fix all of it's shortcomings, ie transmission popping out of 2nd gear near redline, clutch chatter, drivetrain lash, dragging clutch, fueling issues, timing chain jump guard, etc. The K1300S is the best bike I've ever riden, not necessarily the fastest (have tried an S1000RR) or the most nimble, but it's the best 'package'. It does everything so well, I definitely agree with the OP.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'NH13S' for this post:
Old 08-07-2017, 10:05 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH13S
The K1300's do not share a lot of the issues that plagued the K1200's. BMW basically had Ricardo (the geniuses that engineered the Bugatti Veyron transmission) take a K1200S and fix all of it's shortcomings, ie transmission popping out of 2nd gear near redline, clutch chatter, drivetrain lash, dragging clutch, fueling issues, timing chain jump guard, etc. The K1300S is the best bike I've ever riden, not necessarily the fastest (have tried an S1000RR) or the most nimble, but it's the best 'package'. It does everything so well, I definitely agree with the OP.

I have to agree with you, it's one of the best! After years of large displacement V-Twins I wanted something lighter that I could tour with so went to an F800GT. Great bike but not enough of everything. Traded up to the K13S and never looked back. The best thing about these bikes is that you can road trip them easily, strip off the luggage when you get where you're going and still have a competent sport bike to throw around. Sure its not the SRR but it'll do..
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'C8H18' for this post:
Old 09-14-2017, 02:24 PM
Getting up to speed

Since changing the tyres last month I fallen back in love with the bike but feel the last year since buying the bike was wasted on the stock M3 tyres. Awesome for touring and now better for playing.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:48 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Which tires did you buy???
I still have the stock tires on mine and although I know I'm going to regret not swapping them out before I head down to the dragon next week, I just couldn't see changing them out with quite a bit of meat left. I'm thinking next spring swapping out mine for the Dunlop IIIs, they seem to have great reviews, even knowing I'm a HUGE fan of the Pirelli GTs
Old 09-14-2017, 02:58 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Which tires did you buy???
I still have the stock tires on mine and although I know I'm going to regret not swapping them out before I head down to the dragon, I just couldn't see changing them out with quite a bit of meat left. I'm thinking next spring swapping out mine for the Dunlop IIIs, they seem to have great reviews, even knowing I'm a HUGE fan of the Pirelli GTs

I went for the Metzeler roadtec 01 HW front and rear. Expensive as relatively new tyre but I've seen a few with the pirelli and Michelin so it's really a personal choice.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:18 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Send a message via Skype™ to GrenK1300s

Quote:
Originally Posted by bald biker
I went for the Metzeler roadtec 01 HW front and rear. Expensive as relatively new tyre but I've seen a few with the pirelli and Michelin so it's really a personal choice.
IMHO this bike (K1300S) is by far and away the best BM I have ever owned, my first being a R100RS with occasional forays into other machines but not for long The K13S is fully tractable and will eat the miles cruising all day at illegal speeds and as someone said, take off the gear and go for a fang over the hills and around bends and I guarantee you will not be able to wipe the smile off you face! For my choice of tyres I changed the original Metzelers (M3 from memory) and bought the M7RR for front and rear These are some of the stickiest road tyres I have ridden on and make the whole bends up hill and down dale a breeze, wet or dry
Old 09-15-2017, 02:02 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by EitanDC

... Suffice it to say, the acceleration is something I've never felt on any other bike and the wheel WILL come off the ground until the traction control figures out what an idiot you are and brings you safely back down...

Mine is one of the few without ABS or TC. Won't be doing that again
Old 09-15-2017, 03:11 PM
Speed Demon

If I've been doing any miles on my XR and then ride my K even with the bells and whistles I have on it takes some adapting to going from Flybywire to an old geriatric throttle cable.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:52 PM
BMW S1000XR

Talking Re: I love this bike

I am sick and tired of all you K13 people always blowing your horn about how great the K13 is and how one would regret trading to another bike like an XR.

The XR is way better than a K13, sportier, less weight, less cowling, etc.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:55 PM
Site Contributor
Thanked 2,233 Times in 1,078 Posts

Why don't you go and oil your chain....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider19
I am sick and tired of all you K13 people always blowing your horn about how great the K13 is and how one would regret trading to another bike like an XR.

The following (7) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'paulmogs' for this post:
Old 09-16-2017, 11:23 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:

And adjust those plastic hand shields too.

Black 2013 k1300s

Past BMWs
WPV
Old 09-16-2017, 11:24 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:

Old 09-17-2017, 03:10 AM
Speed Demon

Quote:

Until your above 120
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'ChrisCannin' for this post:
Old 09-17-2017, 04:09 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:

Had one on loan while the K was in for service. It has it's good points, but the bits that ruin it for me are that it's chain drive and it's too buzzy - like riding a wasp.
Past: Norton Commando 850, Honda CB750 K1, Suzuki GS550 (twice), Suzuki GS850 '81, Suzuki GS1000 '82, Triumph Speed Triple '98, Yamaha V-Max '06, Yamaha FZ-1 '08, Kawasaki 1400GTR '10, Triumph Explorer 1200 XC '14
Current: BMW K1300S '12
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'jb62' for this post:
Old 09-17-2017, 08:34 AM
Site Contributor
Thanked 5,006 Times in 2,036 Posts

Quote:

Have you ridden a K13?

K1300S - 2011 Blue - 30,300km
R.I.P. - K1300R 2013 Red - 70,000km
Old 09-17-2017, 10:50 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:

Taking nothing away from other bikes whoever they are made by. Each to their own but it's actually nice to hear that owners are actually happy with the bike they ride instead of whinging about what has gone wrong.
Doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.🤙
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'bald biker' for this post:
Old 09-17-2017, 11:04 AM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,390 Posts

Quote:
... The XR is way better than a K13, sportier, less weight, less cowling, etc.
Of course the XR offers things the KS cannot due to a decade of improvements in vehicle electronics, but why not just say that KS owners should try out an XR. Less weight, same performance, no shaft drive to worry about! Try one, you'll like it! Or not.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:29 AM
BMW S1000XR

I've never rode a K13, I did have a Kawi Concours 14 for 5 years.

I realize there are a great deal more K13 out there than XR RR R and they are really good bikes.

I went to the XR to reduce weight for trailing and I think it is a really great bike for me.

My next bike will be a K16 most likely as i get into retirement age.

I actually appreciate all bikes and those who ride, little less for HD maybe.

I was just sparking conversation and apologize if I offended anyone.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:53 AM
Site Contributor

Sometimes we do get a little over zealous about the KS, but you really should try one. And if you think the KS is heavy and too big, you really won't like the monster K16, IMHO. As far as age goes, I'm 64 and the KS still fits me like a glove. I road back from the rally in SLC 8 hours non stop with no knee or back issues. You should try one. PS by the time you buy a KS the prices will be very affordable, if that matters.

Black 2013 k1300s

Past BMWs
Old 09-17-2017, 03:26 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
I was just sparking conversation and apologize if I offended anyone.

Apology accepted and if we meet on the road I'll extend the hand of Motorcycle Friendship to You. One of my Riding Buddies has an S1000XR and it's a very nice bike for sure.

I'm lusting after the R nineT Racer myself...but that's a conversation for another day.
'11 K1300S, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Corbin Seat, Low-Beam HID, High Beam LEDs, Centerstand, Illmburger CF-Rear Hugger, Fenda Extenda, Philips 8-LED-DRL, Pair of 18W LED Flood Lamps, Rear Luggage Rack, Grip-Puppies, R&G Aero Sliders, OEM Hard Bags, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn, Bar-End Throttle Lock, Zumo 660LM, Nelson-Rigg Tankbag, Fuel Filler Neck Vent Holes, Aluminum Kickstand Foot, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers, Cobra SP2 Slip-On Muffler. Color: Red/Black.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'R111S' for this post:
Old 09-17-2017, 05:05 PM
Speed Demon

Running both a K and not a stocker at that and an XR the biggest difference is throttle response I thought my K with a Rexxer map and Akra pipe was good but jeeze the XR needs just the slightest whiff of throttle and it's gone do the same on the K and you'll hardly get it off tick over.

The complete opposite when going to the XR after riding the K I choke the engine with too much throttle.

My particular K has been the most unreliable bike I have owned since my Norton Jubilee in 1969 but keep it because I like it.

Two up,30l tank bag 50l BM soft bag on the back the K won't pull the last 1000 revs but will nudge 160 on the clock the XR will never that but then I rarely run more than 120.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:10 PM
Site Contributor

Chris. What year and K do you have? My K12s and K13s have been very reliable.

Black 2013 k1300s

Past BMWs
Old 09-17-2017, 11:49 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:

Rider19, everyone is entitled to their opinions IMHO BUT, to say that you are sick and tired of "us K13 people always blowing our horns" is a tad harsh Everyone of us has his or her favourite mount, my other mount is not mentionable on this site as I worship her and there is none other that compares to her, that's why I married her Same with the bike, not the marriage bit but the choice I have ridden a host of different Beemers throughout my life and am still on the look out for the R90S, the first BM I ever sat on. These are as rare as hen's teeth, very pricey and do not compare to the high end bikes of today. But I still want one to putter around the countryside and still have the occasional blast

We all rabbit on about our favourite machines and like you there are people out there who adore their current bike. The K13S riders just love the machine and all it has to offer. It's not the fastest or the most comfortable for some, but for me and others like me, it is akin to strapping on a favourite pair of jeans. They fit and feel great, just like the K1300S

Enjoy the diversity in our BM community and let others opinions wash over you , some of us are just anal

Cheers mate and thanks for your opinion no matter how much I disagree with you
Old 09-18-2017, 12:10 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:

I had the opportunity when taking my bike for it's first service (don't exceed xxxrpm before 1000km!)

Sitting at the lights building up the revs and popping the clutch on the green. The front wheel came off the ground more feet than I was comfortable with until I quick-shifted into second on the redline, throttle fully open, front wheel probably didn't hit the ground and then almost immediately into third, again with the quick-shift and wheel still in the air I then had to brake very hard for a left hander onto the highway and couldn't wipe the smile off my face as it smoothly entered the corner at about 100kph - don't ask exactly what speed as my eyes were on where I wanted to be and not where I would have ended up looking at the speedo Yes, it has brilliant acceleration and if you learn to control it it will give you the widest smiles for days after the event One comment made to me by the sales lady that took me for a test ride was this: "once you open the throttle, you keep it open during the quick-shift changes, which become quite smooth and faster with the speed of the bike!" I can attest that this is correct and the faster you go the faster the changes become!
Old 09-18-2017, 04:14 AM
Speed Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby
Chris. What year and K do you have? My K12s and K13s have been very reliable.

2007 K1200r Sport never ridden in the winter in fact it has only ever been wet twice!! And in the 8 years I've had it their have been 3 clutches an ABS unit and recently an alternator plus obviously all the recalls,RexxerWilber/BST's/Akra/Kahedo seat help keep it modern.

It's one of five bikes I run so having problems with it have never been the issue that a one bike owner would have,it was at the top of my bike food chain till I bought the XR which also isn't perfect after riding that and going back to the K seems like a vibrationless magic carpet but as I said in the other post even with a Rexxer map which takes it to a level way above the 1300(l've ridden many) it just doesn't have that instant Kaboom that the XR has,sure I quickly re-ajust either way but the flybywire is a major leap forward on the XR.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:03 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCannin
2007 K1200r Sport never ridden in the winter in fact it has only ever been wet twice!! And in the 8 years I've had it their have been 3 clutches an ABS unit and recently an alternator plus obviously all the recalls,RexxerWilber/BST's/Akra/Kahedo seat help keep it modern.

It's one of five bikes I run so having problems with it have never been the issue that a one bike owner would have,it was at the top of my bike food chain till I bought the XR which also isn't perfect after riding that and going back to the K seems like a vibrationless magic carpet but as I said in the other post even with a Rexxer map which takes it to a level way above the 1300(l've ridden many) it just doesn't have that instant Kaboom that the XR has,sure I quickly re-ajust either way but the flybywire is a major leap forward on the XR.

I've been fortunate to have test ridden a S100RR prior to buying the K1300S. I wanted to see which of these two erotic (sorry exotic ) machines I would buy. I was travelling south every year to go visit the penguins on Philip Island Only kidding, to go see the motor cycles in October. This trip for me is approximately 2,000 km one way and done in two days

Anyway, the first test ride was the K1300S and I was smitten, but determined to ride the S as I have lusted after this machine for a long time The day I took it for a ride the testing chappy said "Don't grab front brake!" no reasons other than his following comment "I know you will as all riders do, but really - don't!" OK then, 2 mins later being cutoff by a moron on a roundabout - yes I did have right of way but no wish to become some arseholes hood ornament I grabbed front brake! Looking over the bars to see the front wheel was a whole terrifying new experience I did not grab the front brake again the whole test The Brembos are simply wonderful brakes and the slipper clutch was also a Godsend. These make this machine fanbloodytastic!

This bike was a phenomenal machine and the only reason I did not buy it was on a return journey from the Island later that year and meeting a guy with my prospective machine in Cooma. I listened to him complain about his backside and lower back and his shoulders and knees...! I asked how long he had travelled and like me he had set out at 8:00 am and it was 3:00 in the arvo. I was a tad sore in my lower back but he was in serious pain. I was riding my K1200RS at the time!

You see there is a bike that is a flat out racing machine and it is the S1000RR, R or XR, depending on your poison and then there is a racing machine in the form of a bike that swallows up the miles (kilometres) and is happy enough, purring along at 100 - 120kph. When you decide to get wild with the throttle, it quietly asks if you mean it and then makes you understand why it asked the question in the first place - the K1300S

BTW I still want to own a S1000RR, as I have always wanted one to fang over the hills and far away on a daily basis, but for downright mile eating, fast pace machine that can hold its own, the K1300S is the one for me.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'GrenK1300s' for this post:
Old 09-18-2017, 05:24 AM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:

I went to the XR to reduce weight for trailing and I think it is a really great bike for me.

My next bike will be a K16 most likely as i get into retirement age.

I love my K16GT. Out in Germany this year I was quite surprised that although the XR riders had an easier time on the twisty stuff, they didn't really loose me, and out on the Autobahns I could reel them in and pass them. Funny watching an XR rider trying to get streamlined

... And yes, I love riding my K13S which is faster still, but my K16 is a Limousine!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Belco100' for this post:
Old 09-19-2017, 11:11 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrenK1300s
Rider19, everyone is entitled to their opinions IMHO BUT, to say that you are sick and tired of "us K13 people always blowing our horns" is a tad harsh Everyone of us has his or her favourite mount, my other mount is not mentionable on this site as I worship her and there is none other that compares to her, that's why I married her Same with the bike, not the marriage bit but the choice I have ridden a host of different Beemers throughout my life and am still on the look out for the R90S, the first BM I ever sat on. These are as rare as hen's teeth, very pricey and do not compare to the high end bikes of today. But I still want one to putter around the countryside and still have the occasional blast

We all rabbit on about our favourite machines and like you there are people out there who adore their current bike. The K13S riders just love the machine and all it has to offer. It's not the fastest or the most comfortable for some, but for me and others like me, it is akin to strapping on a favourite pair of jeans. They fit and feel great, just like the K1300S

Enjoy the diversity in our BM community and let others opinions wash over you , some of us are just anal

Cheers mate and thanks for your opinion no matter how much I disagree with you

Red 1974 R90/6 on craigslist in MIA>West Palm Beach, FL. $5400
Black 1976 R90/6 in dab>Port Orange, FL. $4000
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'WPV' for this post:
Old 09-20-2017, 11:15 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
The Brembos are simply wonderful brakes and the slipper clutch was also a Godsend. These make this machine fanbloodytastic!

Didn't know the K1300 had a slipper clutch?
Old 09-20-2017, 12:18 PM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,814 Times in 2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw
Didn't know the K1300 had a slipper clutch?
Pretty sure he was referring to his RR demo ride.

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 09-20-2017, 12:20 PM
Site Contributor

Reading comprehension was never my strong point...
Old 09-21-2017, 10:43 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw
Reading comprehension was never my strong point...
I still think having the option for the K1300S would be a well received upgrade I have yet to lock up because of inattentive shifting, BUT you never say never
Old 09-22-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
I still think having the option for the K1300S would be a well received upgrade I have yet to lock up because of inattentive shifting, BUT you never say never
I locked the rear of a K75s on downshift at Deal's Gap many moons two-up ago chasing (pushing!) a 900 ninja. The bike went sideways and set up perfectly for the left hander we were entering. It took a LOT of mental debate to talk myself out of trying it again on purpose.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:22 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belco100
I love my K16GT. Out in Germany this year I was quite surprised that although the XR riders had an easier time on the twisty stuff, they didn't really loose me, and out on the Autobahns I could reel them in and pass them. Funny watching an XR rider trying to get streamlined

... And yes, I love riding my K13S which is faster still, but my K16 is a Limousine!

A REALLY fast limousine

2014 K1600GT
2006 K1200GT (sold)
2011 HD Street Glide (sold)
2009 HD Fatboy (sold)
1989 K100RS (sold)
1986 Suzuki GSXR-750 (sold)
1980 Suzuki GS750G (sold)
Old 09-22-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonK100RS
A REALLY fast limousine
So in summary the K16GT is faster than an XR and both are slower than an S.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:34 PM
Shooting the gap

I'm not sure about any of this! I am willing to ride with you two again and test the theory

2014 K1600GT
2006 K1200GT (sold)
2011 HD Street Glide (sold)
2009 HD Fatboy (sold)
1989 K100RS (sold)
1986 Suzuki GSXR-750 (sold)
1980 Suzuki GS750G (sold)
Old 09-23-2017, 06:58 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Today, I solved my end of the k1300s problem by purchasing a 2015 K1300s Motosport. That should keep me going for a few more years until BMW gets its head out of the sand and realizes the whole they have in their product lineup.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'hmeiseles' for this post: