I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S/R" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S/R" Technical Q&A K1200S/R Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 03-22-2018, 04:03 AM
Entering the on-ramp

BMW K1300R - Cluster Cycling and Occasional cut-out while riding (Solved)

Hi

I incorrectly posted this to the 1200 area, and am reposting this here now.

I thought I would quickly recap a weird problem I just had on my K1300R (2008). I believe it is solved, but time may prove me wrong. I only managed to find one other blog post about this issue, on another site with a different bike. The ignition switch is shared amongst many BMWs

The symptoms

1. Cluster and pre-start check would sometimes take time to start. And sometimes cycle through more than once.
2. 10444 Fuse activated for component block 3 (starter relay, Immo (EWS) ring aerial, ignition coils, injectors) would store whenever the above mentioned cycling happens.
3. Bike would occasionally cut out during riding, (3 times with me, always under hard acceleration) also storing the above fault code
4. The clincher in this case, when you press up against the switch, it would cut the ignition. Not every time, but enough to make us suspect the ignition switch.

The Cure:

Replace the ignition switch (61318543110), takes about 30 minutes, needs the correct torque bits.

The Post Mortem
I opened the old switch up, to have a look see. The internal resistance of the micro-switch fluctuates from 0 (where it should be) to about 20 ohms. Probably enough resistance to overload the logic circuit connected to the switch and cause the trip code 10444. The unit contains a simple micro-switch and some traces. It is not a current device, but probably just sends a signal to the ECU to say the ignition is on. All the work happens in the ECU.

It was such a weird issue, that I thought it may be useful to share.

Cape Town
South Africa
The following (5) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'johann_muller' for this post:
Old 03-22-2018, 07:22 AM
Aussie Moderator
Thanked 5,006 Times in 2,036 Posts

Re: BMW K1300R - Cluster Cycling and Occasional cut-out while riding (Solved)

Some people have had similar problems and the cause has been flapping keyring bits slowly rooting the key chamber, in turn causing the bike to switch off randomly, or not start. Evidence is sometimes discolouration around the hole.

K1300S - 2011 Blue - 30,300km
R.I.P. - K1300R 2013 Red - 70,000km
Old 03-24-2018, 07:09 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiMat
Some people have had similar problems and the cause has been flapping keyring bits slowly rooting the key chamber, in turn causing the bike to switch off randomly, or not start. Evidence is sometimes discolouration around the hole.

And you wouldn’t want discolouration around your hole. Not that there’s anything wrong with that...
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Heapy' for this post:
Old 03-24-2018, 09:34 AM
Administrator
Thanked 5,522 Times in 3,205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heapy
And you wouldn’t want discolouration around your hole. Not that there’s anything wrong with that...
Grahame:

I'm sitting here reading this thread - Johann is very technical and descriptive - Mat responds with some info he has learned - all good stuff - then your post - you were almost the cause of me choking to death.

I was eating and started laughing/choking - man only two posts to send this thread spinning - very funny - normally I don't get caught off guard.

Johann great post keep them coming and don't mind our warped sense of humor - you will never find a better bunch of riders anywhere and this site has more knowledge of BMW motorcycles many times more than BMW has.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
Old 03-24-2018, 02:52 PM
Entering the on-ramp

It cracked me up to.

I have been monitoring the bike. Commuted twice since I changed the switch. The dash cycling and fault codes are gone.

I will know for sure after next week if it is fixed.

Cape Town
South Africa
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'johann_muller' for this post: