I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S/R" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S/R" Technical Q&A K1200S/R Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 06-23-2018, 10:39 AM
Getting up to speed

Why some have problems, others donít?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPV
I purchased a 2011 new and it had all the irritating issues described. I didn't ride it that often due a couple of medical issues so I sold it. I missed the cycle and the medical problems are resolved so I recently bought a 2013 with about 1900 miles on it. There is a world of difference in the two cycles. Minimal noise, less vibrations, less drive train lash, and handles better. The last, I suspect, is the difference in the tires. I would not assume that design improvements were made. But, for the lack of a better explanation and with tongue-in-cheek, it seems that what engineers refer to as "error stacking" went in my favor this time. Error stacking is when all the plus or minus tolerances in a particular assembly happen to go mostly to the plus or to the minus making the assembly as a whole out of tolerance.

This I thought is the most realistic and clear explanation about why there is such a range of issues with some bikes and little with others, the inconsistency. For those scanning the subjects on this forum, this can stand alone. I thank WPV for adding to my understanding and vocabulary - Error Stacking. I now suspect the engineers are not fully at fault. Finer tolerances mean higher cost to produce. The price point and bottom line may have contributed to the final specked tolerances. This also seems to explain why some members have changed Ďxí and seen little change. Even bringing a particular part back to speck is t enough to change the whole accumulation of + or - speck.
Thanks again to WPV.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:52 AM
Twisted Wrister

Re: Why some have problems, others donít?

Two model years newer could mean a lot of small engineering changes, and not necessarily with corresponding part number changes. It's difficult for us to know: tolerance stacking, Monday morning bike, design changes, different break in, all of it contributes to the overall experience.
I put lot of miles on 4 different K12/13's, and I have to say the latest was the best by far. And I can say the same for the RR's I've owned, BMW does really seem to raise the bar every year. Not to say that you can't get a less than "typical" example for some reason.