I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S/R" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S/R" Technical Q&A K1200S/R Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 07-10-2018, 07:47 AM
Getting up to speed

Motech stand damages K1300s frame

I purchased and fitted a SW-Motech centre stand for my K1300s approx two years ago. Whilst giving my bike a thorough clean recently, I noticed that the stand, whilst in its operating position, has dug into my frame. It looks like faulty manufacturing to me, that the 'buffer' (in the pic) is welded at an incorrect angle, but SW-Motech has is denying all responsibility and is suggesting that the stand is bent!!
I should have gone for the original BMW stand!!!!
Has anyone else experienced this problem with the Motech stand?

ps..... An afterthought.....Is SW-Motortech admitting that their stands bend?????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_stand1.jpg (350.5 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg rsz_stand3.jpg (315.7 KB, 152 views)
Old 07-10-2018, 08:51 AM
Shooting the gap

Re: Motech stand damages K1300s frame

I was planning to buy their stand but after seeing this and hearing the response you got i will skip sw motech and get a used oem instead.

Sorry to see your bike get damaged.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:05 PM
Getting up to speed

After further correspondence today with SW-Motech, they have deemed that the stand has been damaged/bent whilst fitted to the bike and that, apparently,is the end of the matter as far as they are concerned!, This without accepting my offer for them to inspect the stand, where they would see that there is no sign of physical damage to the stand (or bike) They also state (correctly) that the stand is out of warranty, I would argue that a warranty should not apply to a manufacturing defect.
I can state that after 25,000 miles of riding my K1300s, mostly in Europe, Motech stand fitted, it has never been involved in any accident or fallen over.
So much for customer aftercare!!
Old 07-10-2018, 12:46 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by panason1c
After further correspondence today with SW-Motech, they have deemed that the stand has been damaged/bent whilst fitted to the bike and that, apparently,is the end of the matter as far as they are concerned!, This without accepting my offer for them to inspect the stand, where they would see that there is no sign of physical damage to the stand (or bike) They also state (correctly) that the stand is out of warranty, I would argue that a warranty should not apply to a manufacturing defect.
I can state that after 25,000 miles of riding my K1300s, mostly in Europe, Motech stand fitted, it has never been involved in any accident or fallen over.
How old is the stand? i see you are in UK and as i remeber still members of the EU. EU law states that manufacturing defects can be claimed up to 2 years after purchasing new.
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...s/index_en.htm

So take the stanff the bike, go to a shop that sells these stands, compare yours to that and take pictures, send that to Sw motech and then tell them you will make a claim under EU consumers law, you can find all of this on the website.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:14 PM
Founder, I-BMW & Huge HD Fan
Thanked 1,583 Times in 856 Posts

Send a message via MSN to vics Send a message via Yahoo to vics Send a message via Skype™ to vics

Quote:
Email the link from this thread to them and state that they are going to lose numerous sales as a result. It might get their attention:

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=62897
Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Thanks!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'vics' for this post:
Old 07-10-2018, 01:25 PM
Site Contributor

If they're a German company, most likely they won't care...
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'jcw' for this post:
Old 07-11-2018, 10:50 AM
Site Contributor

Just curious what was the benefit of purchasing the SW-Motech center stand over OEM? If I recall the OEM center stand for my 2009 K13S was only about 200 bucks plus the cost to install. Hopefully you'll get some satisfaction but doubtful unfortunately.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'wellcraft' for this post:
Old 07-12-2018, 06:54 AM
Shooting the gap

Can only answer for myself, OEM stand is about 514usd here in sweden.....the sw motech is 238usd.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:30 AM
Supporting Vendor
Thanked 2,135 Times in 828 Posts

I realize this response won't help panason1c...That ship has sailed.. I post this as a cautionary tale for others thinking about adding a stand to their K1200S/K1300S.

I'm in the biz and speak with bike owners all over the world on a daily basis and I've been hearing bad things about the SW Motech stand for years. Dozens of complaints.. These days when ANYONE asks me if they should go with the SW Motech over the more expensive oem offering.. I always tell them to suck it up and buy oem...

panason1c's experience is common and his pics should be the final word on the question.." Which one should I buy?"
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Pirate' for this post:
Old 07-12-2018, 09:34 AM
Entering the on-ramp
Thanked 1,605 Times in 824 Posts

Feeling better about buying the OEM one now.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Capnrip' for this post:
Old 07-12-2018, 03:24 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias_K1300s
Can only answer for myself, OEM stand is about 514usd here in sweden.....the sw motech is 238usd.

Ouch that's a big price difference so I can see the allure of buying the SW Motech over the OEM. These days it really pays to do a google search or ask around before buying anything.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'wellcraft' for this post:
Old 07-12-2018, 08:53 PM
Zealot of Beer

I'll check mine as soon as I get the chance. What lying assholes, there's no way there could be any "bend" in that incredibly chunky section between the stub or whatever it is and the pivot. Definitely a design defect.

I never gave those stubs a second thought, but it is a really stupid design and prone to cause damage. Chunks of metal should not be anywhere near painted parts.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'MAXdB' for this post:
Old 07-14-2018, 10:54 AM
Getting up to speed

Thanks for all your responses.
I've heard nothing more from Motortech! (as expected!!)
I've now ordered a BMW centre stand, the Motortech stand is destined for the trash!
Motortech are clearly not interested in any form of customer care or afterservice.
I guess that as the K1300s is a discontinued model, Motortech are not concerned about the defect in their stand as the demand for it will be minimal.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:02 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Thanks for all your responses.
I've heard nothing more from Motortech! (as expected!!) demand for it will be minimal.

Especially after this thread. All of their products for ours and for your future cycles should be suspect now.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'WPV' for this post:
Old 07-17-2018, 07:50 PM
DOWN TO SKIN AND BONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
I realize this response won't help panason1c...That ship has sailed.. I post this as a cautionary tale for others thinking about adding a stand to their K1200S/K1300S.

I'm in the biz and speak with bike owners all over the world on a daily basis and I've been hearing bad things about the SW Motech stand for years. Dozens of complaints.. These days when ANYONE asks me if they should go with the SW Motech over the more expensive oem offering.. I always tell them to suck it up and buy oem...

panason1c's experience is common and his pics should be the final word on the question.." Which one should I buy?"

I had my eye on the Motech centerstand. I asked Jerry what he thought... I bought the OEM unit.

After receiving the BMW Stand, I knew it was the right call and the cost was not prohibitive.

Sorry you have to suffer from their marginal product and backstepping on the damage issue. They could at least look at the problem.

Always trust Pirate.

hanzosrevenge.blogspot.com

BMW '09 K1300S
BMW '14 R1200GS
Holy Tread-wear Batman!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'ZATO' for this post:
Old 07-17-2018, 11:45 PM
Zealot of Beer

I've also got the stand digging into the paint. Garbage design. Wish I'd predicted this and put a rubber ring around those stubs. Didn't have a chance to really look at what's going on, why the part of the stand that's supposed to stop it from going too far forward isn't doing its job.

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'MAXdB' for this post:
Old 07-18-2018, 02:09 AM
Shooting the gap

Went in on Sw motechs website and look'ed in the installation instructions.
It look's like that big metal chunk IS the forward stop, there doesent seem to be any other part for that job, they intended it to stop on the frame.
But looking at your pics it is welded at an slightly wrong angle wich make's the corner of it strike the frame and that is digging in to the frame instead of just stopping with it's entire surface.

I would take the stand off and regrind the angle for a bigger contact surface, then wrap the stub in 3-4 layers of heatshrink with glue. That would stop any further digging.

So in my book, that is a defect from design/factory, they are welding the stop at the wrong angle simply.
Nothing is bent, that just BS from Sw Motech.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:02 AM
Twisted Wrister

Before breaking out the grinder, check to see if the additional travel allowed will make the center stand hit something else or cause a problem with the angle permitted. The law of unintended consequences is a subset of Murphy's Law.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'WPV' for this post:
Old 07-18-2018, 07:31 AM
Shooting the gap

Googled the bmw stand and it appears that bmw was smart enough to use stoppers on both sides to limit forward travel, the tabs then sit on the inside of the leg's on the stand, left side the plate that holds the springs has a separete flange going forward to make up the stop.

Sw motech simply made an crappy product.

Glad i saeen this before i pulled the trigger on one.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:38 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPV
Before breaking out the grinder, check to see if the additional travel allowed will make the center stand hit something else or cause a problem with the angle permitted. The law of unintended consequences is a subset of Murphy's Law.
Good thinking!

Maybe the best save for this stand is to take it off, drill and tap holes through the stop and using countersunk screw's fix a piece of 3mm thick acrylic/nylon/plastic to the surface, that would be soft on the paint and frame and put the legs down a tad.

Thickness of the added piece might have to calculated, but this would be a easy fix and make the stand work.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:39 AM
Getting up to speed

Just wondering if those of us with affected stands can demand a refund from SW-motech?
Old 08-04-2018, 11:35 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I pulled out my die grinder and Dremel to put a radius on the corner where it contacts the frame. No ill effects that I can see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPV
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'syntorz' for this post:
Old 08-05-2018, 12:23 PM
DOWN TO SKIN AND BONE

Tools and mechanical stuff. There is nothing better than beating, pounding, grinding, cutting, bending, gluing, taping and out-thinking that mechanical menace just sitting there flipping you the bird.

I remember way back in my teenage razor days. I had my Honda 160 bored to race winning specs and future glory. After several weeks of pants pissing excitement, it was down to installing the last spark plug. Of course it went in cross threaded. I was cussing like a seafaring sailor knowing that would fix it when my Dad sternly reminds me that foul language won’ fix anything. What did he know! I was 18 and had it under control, anyways, back to the machine shop.

6 months later suffered a huge high side which no hammer could fix. That bike just laid there flipping me the bird.

hanzosrevenge.blogspot.com

BMW '09 K1300S
BMW '14 R1200GS
Holy Tread-wear Batman!
Old 09-19-2018, 03:28 PM
dynajohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias_K1300s

$515.00 was what I was quoted for OEM stand by my local BMW dealer here 3 weeks ago. Bought a new OEM stand off Amazon from Max BMW for $275.00 including freight. Great supplier.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:58 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynajohn
$515.00 was what I was quoted for OEM stand by my local BMW dealer here 3 weeks ago. Bought a new OEM stand off Amazon from Max BMW for $275.00 including freight. Great supplier.

$515 is insane. I've had two installed. Each was less than an hour labor. I hope you have an alternative to those guys.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:01 PM
dynajohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPV
$515 is insane. I've had two installed. Each was less than an hour labor. I hope you have an alternative to those guys.

I did have an alternative, read the whole post, I bought one for $275 delivered through max bmw on amazon and installed it myself.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:30 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynajohn
I did have an alternative, read the whole post, I bought one for $275 delivered through max bmw on amazon and installed it myself.

Yea, I knew that, I can read. I was referring to anything else - parts or labor - you need to have done in the future.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:42 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPV
Yea, I knew that, I can read. I was referring to anything else - parts or labor - you need to have done in the future.
I had a line on an OEM stand for 140 this past spring and the only reason I did not bite is I thought damn its going to totally bog down the bike and ruin my boy racer aspirations.

grew up with Japanese bikes all with practical centers.

I have a rear and front wheel stand but they would be cumbersome in a backpack on a trip.

I guess the German engineers figured if you can pay a lot for a bike you can buy AAA CAA or whatever is available in your jurisdiction.

I see a Brit firm that makes a truly awesome central frame oriented stand but its pricey as can be. at least 600 to get to my door.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:05 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPV
Wow, that's a great price. Taking this into consideration, I'm reducing the price on the one I have listed in the classifieds to $175.00
Old 09-20-2018, 11:00 AM
dynajohn

The parts department at the dealer said the BMW OEM center stand for the K1300s was no longer available as a kit and had to be ordered as individual parts and that was the reason for the high price.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:42 PM
Twisted Wrister

https://www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.com...nd-k1300r.html
Old 09-20-2018, 03:47 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/S...T=6&Q=FRA04612
Past: Norton Commando 850, Honda CB750 K1, Suzuki GS550 (twice), Suzuki GS850 '81, Suzuki GS1000 '82, Triumph Speed Triple '98, Yamaha V-Max '06, Yamaha FZ-1 '08, Kawasaki 1400GTR '10, Triumph Explorer 1200 XC '14
Current: BMW K1300S '12