I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S/R" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S/R" Technical Q&A K1200S/R Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 07-28-2018, 03:23 AM
Shooting the gap

Oil level increase, HELP!!

Ok, i check the oil level via the tube on the tank every now and then, forgot to do it for about 1 week and have during that time driven aroung 2000km's.
Yesterday i checked and were uit befora always has been between MIN and MAX it is now above MAX.

So what could be the reason for this? i am worried and my brain wanders to gasoline diluting it, water etc etc....

Not read any fault codes och done anything else to the bike, it has run just fine during this week's driving.
I lifted the fill cap on the oiltank and looked at the oil, look's OK/normal, picked some up and smelled it and it had a nice smell of caramell.

So why the sudden change in level?
Old 07-28-2018, 07:57 AM
Site Contributor

Re: Oil level increase, HELP!!

If you had water mixed with oil the oil would look milky so you can eliminate water. Other than that I can't offer any assistance.
Old 07-28-2018, 07:59 AM
Administrator
Thanked 5,558 Times in 3,236 Posts

Okay let's start out going over the oil level check procedure. The correct way to check the oil is after the engine has completely warmed up - so to make sure of this going for a short ride at the minimum insures this happens - so lets just say at least 20 minutes.

Then you keep the bike level and also make sure you are looking at the sight tube at eye level just having the wrong sight angle makes a difference.

I always checked my oil after my rides - this makes sure the oil is hot and the accuracy will be correct.

Assuming you have been doing it this way - then there is only a few ways oil all of a sudden rises in the sight tube(more oil than before). Either someone added oil to the bike - and if you are certain that did not or could not happen - then you have coolant getting into the oil.

Now if it is coolant contamination the color of your oil will be somewhat milky.

If you have not changed the oil lately now would be a good time - you will get a better look at it in the oil drain pan and can have a bigger amount to smell.

If you are certain that you have been checking it the same way every time and no one added oil and you don't think it is coolant getting into the oil you could also take a small sample of the oil and send it out to a lab to be analyzed.

If you are going to take a sample better to do it when the oil is hot during an oil change and catch the sample in mid stream rather than taking it from the drain pan.

Good luck.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 07-28-2018, 11:36 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Just like Bruce said, oil must be HOT, the oil will expand some, so if you just changed your oil and filled it in the middle between the min/max marks and take it for a ride when you get back, chances are it will be at the max mark. Im with Bruce on this, every time I go for a ride I pull in the garage let it idle a minute and then put it on center stand, wait at least 10, 15 minutes to let all the oil settle back into the tank then check the site glass.
Old 07-28-2018, 01:04 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Quick review from manual pages 103 and 104.
After longer motorcycle immobilization periods, engine oil can collect in the oil pan;
this must be pumped into the oil tank before the reading is taken. Here, the engine oil must be at operating temperature. Checking the oil level with the engine cold
or after a short trip leads to misinterpretations and therefore to incorrect oil fill quantities.
To ensure that the display of the engine oil level is correct, only check the oil level after a longer trip.
Make sure ground is level and firm and hold motorcycle at operating temperature vertically.
With center stand Generation II OA. Make sure ground is level and firm and place motorcycle at operating temperature on its center stand.
Let the engine run in neutral for one minute.
Switch off ignition. Read oil level.

I had the 6000 mile service done at a dealership and at times it would read a hair above max. I had to check the oil often for the first 4500-5000 miles. I used 1 quart of oil in that time frame. BUT after a 800 mile round trip the motor "settled in" and no more oil consumption. Oil check is no big deal after getting into the routine. Make sure you read it head on.

My 2003 RT was a total headache when reading the oil level - very inconsistent. The 1300s oil has to be read under the conditions as per the manual and even then their are some variance.
Old 07-28-2018, 02:07 PM
Shooting the gap

There is a thermostat in the lines to the oil cooler. That can trap a significant amount of oil. The most consistent method to check the oil is RIDE the bike until it is hot. Then park on a level surface and idle until the cooling fan turns off. If the fan is not running when you stop, then idle until it turns on then off. Shut the bike off and wait 2-3 minutes for the oil to settle. Check the sight tube if on the center stand otherwise use the dipstick. Itís more precise and is position to give the same reading on the center or side stand and is more precise than the site tube.