I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 09-12-2018, 08:03 PM
dynajohn

Smile my K13s early impressions

Bought a used 2015 K1300s motosports edition last weekend and finally found enough free time to ride a couple hundred miles today.

First things first I am 6'3" and weigh 225 so the riding position for me may not be the same as for a guy 5'10' weighing 175-180.

The bike had a little over 3,300 miles on it when I picked it up at Bloodworth Cycle in Nashville so I consider it fully run in. The only obvious mod is a throttle lock.

The stock riding position suits me fairly well. The reach to the bars is about the same as my VFR1200 & ZX14's were. The peg position in the lowest position is a little tighter for me than either the ZX14 or the VFR1200 (about the same as my Triumph Thruxton R). The mirrors are better than any of these bikes and almost as good as my R1200RT.

Based on some of the threads here I was expecting bad throttle response and jerky low throttle running in the lower gears. This is not the case on this bike. The throttle response is not what I would call crisp in the first three gears but it is not bad and there is no surge or jerkiness in any gear at low speeds in any gear.

The transmission has the usual clunk going into first but no worse than any other recent bike I have owned. Finding neutral is easy from either 1st or 2nd gear. Shifting gears at anything above 2,500 RPM is positive with no drama. The shift assist is slick and works on par with any aftermarket quick shifter I have installed. Full throttle shifts with shift assist are fast & positive. I just wish shift assist had rev matching and worked on downshifts as well as upshifts like my R1200RT does. This feature is really neat when hustling through corners and downshifting into turns.

Handling is about on par with what my 2013 VFR1200 was. Both these bikes are long wheelbase and similar weight and both are very stable at speed in sweepers and a straight line. The big VFR was a little better on turn in but that could be the difference in tires. I have not really put enough time in on my K1300 to draw definite conclusions on this.

I am definately going to be looking at getting more performance out of the K1300s. As others have indicated this bike feels neutered in the first three gears. It feels a lot like my VFR1200 did before I had the ECU reflashed. The VFR convinced me that Honda had more lawyers involved in the final design than engineers. I don't know if removing the butt plug in the stock Akrapovic muffler on the K1300s motosports makes more HP & TQ but I doubt it does with the stock ECU programming. From previous forays into unleashing performance that manufacturers leave on the table in satisfying safety, emmisions, sound & all of the compny lawyers I expect there are some decent gains without going into the engine.

The K1300s is a solid platform based on my first impressions. First thing is to put more miles on this bike. The next thing I have on my plate with this bike is to install a OEM centerstand and replace the stock headlight bulbs with cyclops 4.8 platinum LED bulbs (both in transit). I need to call Bren Tuning about getting a ECU reflash after that and get a dyno baseline before installing the reflash.

As always any input is welcome.
The following (6) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'dynajohn' for this post:
Old 09-13-2018, 12:50 AM
Administrator
Thanked 5,522 Times in 3,205 Posts

Re: my K13s early impressions

John:

Nice report. The K1300 is an awesome bike. I had a K1200S and 2 K1300S's.

All 3 ran very good as far as the fueling goes - I never had to mess with the fueling.

Keep the ride reports coming.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 09-13-2018, 04:34 AM
Twisted Wrister

A few comments. I have a 2015K1300s MS as well.

On turn-in, try putting 38psi in the front tire instead of 36. Steering tightens up and becomes more predictable. 42 seems fine in the rear to me.

A booster plug can smooth out the driveability. Has the most effect at the lowest throttle openings. It sounds like your bike might already have one.

I've heard that there is a switch that prevents 100% throttle opening in gears 1, 2 and 3. And that you can bypass it. Interesting. I never thought the bike needed more power in those gears, and I appreciate the driveability aspects of the engine management system on this bike. But then I spent the previous 30 years on a K100RS.

I'm 6'2", and I ran into an interesting problem with wind and a tank bag. As long as I use a tank bag (the BMW one) - and that's 99.9% of the time, partly because my radar detector is in there - I get a severe wind rippling down the front of my chest. It can be highly annoying with a lighter jacket. I solved that by putting a small waist bag around the outside of the tank bag to block the space between my belly and the tank bag. I put an old BMW first aid kit in there to make it soft to lean against. If I want the wind there, I just rotate the bag to the front of the tank bag. I do have a Corbin seat that probably lowers me a bit compared to the stocker. My chin is just into the quiet air above the 'loud line' coming off the windshield.

I put on grip puppies to make the grips both softer and larger in diameter. I hate smalll, hard grips. The heaters still work fine.

Having always used the centerstand on the K100RS (avoids smoking on start), I put one on the K1300s. Figured I'd use it gassing up, maybe on hot asphalt. Turns out I almost never use it, though it came in handy once when I had a flat tire on the road.

I put on a Fiamm horn. Improves the sound from a scooter to a small .... something. Anyway, at least it's an improvement.

I went through the stock tires in 2700 miles. Since then I've been running Pirelli Angel GT's, and I'm quite pleased with them. Mostly around Phoenix, Arizona, but also two trips through Colorado. Mileage is around 5,000 or so, but would be hire if I was doing more touring and less stop/go.

I added a couple of Powerlet switched outlets to the fairing panels. One I use for stuff in the tank bag. The other is for an electric vest. Leaves the stock one for a passenger. The plug kept blowing out of the stock outlet at high speeds anyway.

Oh - that Corbin seat I have is heated, front and rear. I can't believe what a difference that makes, along with the grips. My wife insisted on a small backrest, and I can't blame her with this bike's power.

I'm a bit disappointed in options for luggage. I have the sport bags, which are kinda cool, but they don't hold much. And if you expand them they get both wide and ugly. The rear luggage rack, er 'grid', flexes easily with any appreciable weight. I tried the big and small BMW softbags, and car drivers were coming to me at gas stops to warn me that the rack was about to break under the large bag. On that trip I had no passenger, so I moved the bag to the pillion seat. I just use the smaller one on the rack now, if I have a passenger.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:24 AM
(Moderator) Tries to be slick but fails
Thanked 1,578 Times in 627 Posts

John

Congratulations on your purchase.

the K13 is quite sensitive to tyre pressures, particularly at the front. Experiment and find out what works for you. For me I take care that the front is no lower than 36 psi.

The turn in even on tight bends should be good and I think you'll find that the K13 holds its weight a lot lower than your VFR - that is one tall motor. You should also find that the tank range is quite a bit better. I won't get les than 160 even at prolonged high speed running and 200 is easily achievable without riding like a pussy.

Enjoy your bike!
BMW R90S
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Welshman' for this post:
Old 09-13-2018, 08:21 AM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynajohn
Bought a used 2015 K1300s motosports .... As others have indicated this bike feels neutered in the first three gears.
Back out the actuator motor 1/8" and it will spin up the rear tire on 2nd gear passes. Next install the AF-XiED O2 sensor manipulator and set it on 7 or 8. (or skip that if your going to reflash the ECU.) Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Actuator motor.pdf (97.0 KB, 30 views)
Old 09-13-2018, 10:07 AM
dynajohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabnfvr
Back out the actuator motor 1/8" and it will spin up the rear tire on 2nd gear passes. Next install the AF-XiED O2 sensor manipulator and set it on 7 or 8. (or skip that if your going to reflash the ECU.) Enjoy!

Thanks for the link. I am still definitely behind the curve on what is available and works on both my BMW's. Interesting but the Bren & HT ECU changes are a more comprehensive answer to retuning although a more expensive one.

I need to get more seat time before making judgments on handling changes and tires. Michelin pilot roads worked well on the VFR as well as raising the fork tubes 4mm.
That won't work on the BMW so longer rear links to raise the rear may be a good answer for better turn in.

I am going to mess with front tire pressure first as suggested. Yesterday when I rode the rear was set at 42# and the front at 38# cold. Where is a booster plug installed so I can check if I have one??

Thanks again for the input, keep it coming
John
Old 09-13-2018, 05:35 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

cabnfvr: Could you please expound on the statement "Back out the actuator motor 1/8". Are you referring to an actuator motor for the throttle plates????? THX.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:22 PM
dynajohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsaitta3
cabnfvr: Could you please expound on the statement "Back out the actuator motor 1/8". Are you referring to an actuator motor for the throttle plates????? THX.

Not sure but I think he is referring to the solenoid that limits throttle plate opening in 1st thru 3rd gear.

Received the three Cyclops LED replacement headlight bulbs this afternoon. Hope to get them installed this afternoon and get to test tonight. First have to get a acre of grass cut before this weekend when the remnants of the hurricane move in and dump on us here.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:49 PM

While searching on my own, there is a part on the throttle body called the "actuator motor throttle stop valve". I'm assuming it's the "stop" he/you refer to, in that in the pictures I found, it's located in the middle between throttle bodies 2 and 3. I'd just like some additional information. Maybe backing it out 1/8" prevents it from not allowing the throttle bodies to be wide open in lower gears (puts the stop further away). Dunno!? More info needed.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:04 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I removed that part. Just cable tie it somewhere but leave the power plugged in. Allows power wheelies in 2nd gear now. Be careful though you can now hit the throttle as hard as you like now with no help from the bike restrictions.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:26 AM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsaitta3
Item 5 in the pic I attached in my original reply. When you remove the tank it will be dead center of the throttle bodies. There is a plunger but no mechanical link to the throttle mechanism. Just remove the 2 screws holding it and add spacers, or as mentioned just put it aside. The computer needs to see it but doesn't care where it is. I liked it in the original location. Things zip tied near throttle shafts keep me up nights.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:45 AM

Thanks-that's the part I thought you were referring to. Appreciate the clarification-as I had guessed, you're just "moving it away" so it can't function as a stop in lower gears. Again THX.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:37 AM
(Moderator) Tries to be slick but fails
Thanked 1,578 Times in 627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynajohn
That won't work on the BMW so longer rear links to raise the rear may be a good answer for better turn in. John

John

The K12 may have benefitted from riser plates but the changes to the K13 - a slightly sharper steering head angle and the use of a 55 section rather than a 50 section rear tyre - solved that issue. I ride in the Pyrenees and sometimes in the Alps, and if this bike has a problem with turn in on tight bends then I have yet to find it.

As for tyres the Bridgestone BT30 is IMO an excellent tyre. Stable, good turn in, very good in the wet, and also good tyre life. I'm at about 5k on the rear and it still has a few hundred miles left in it. The new BT31 is meant to be even better in the wet.
BMW R90S
Old 09-14-2018, 02:24 PM
dynajohn

Welshman I am definitely not going to buy riser plates until I experiment with tire pressures and a new set of tires. Thanks for the review of the Bridgestones.

John
Old 09-14-2018, 02:56 PM
dynajohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabnfvr

Decided to take your advice and ordered the AX-FIED sensor manipulator from beemer boneyard. Will disable the actuator as you described as well and check the effect on performance. In the description it says the F/A can be richened to 13.67 I believe which is still a little to lean for best performance but a big improvement over 14.7/1.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:39 PM
Getting up to speed

Got a 190 55 section Michelin rear tyre on order for my K1200S and a K1300S drive shaft .

Old 09-24-2018, 05:54 PM
dynajohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormbringer
Got a 190 55 section Michelin rear tyre on order for my K1200S and a K1300S drive shaft .

Nice looking bike stormbringer