I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S/R" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S/R" Technical Q&A K1200S/R Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 08-07-2014, 10:39 AM
Shooting the gap

center stand question

Wondering if it can be installed at home or I will have to ask dealer to install it.

does it require trimming belly pan ?
Old 08-07-2014, 11:37 AM
Administrator
Thanked 5,434 Times in 3,153 Posts

Re: center stand question

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashu
Wondering if it can be installed at home or I will have to ask dealer to install it.

Yes you can do it at home. Yes you need to trim the belly pan - the cool thing is the belly pan has the cut lines already - just have to follow them.

The hard part - if you want to say is hard - is putting the last bolt in - because of the center stand spring it has a heck of a lot of tension.

Many post here how others tackled that problem.

How I did it took less than 2 minutes - I have a lift table - so I used a tie down - connected it to the center stand and the other end to the lift table eye for the tie downs and tightened up the strap to keep it in place - again all of 2 minutes and no busting knuckles doing it.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 08-07-2014, 11:41 AM
Supporting Vendor
Thanked 2,079 Times in 800 Posts

I tried and couldn't do it by myself.. If I had a lift I might have muddled through it... I ended up getting a buddy to help me.. It really takes 4 hands and at least a modicum of muscle and testosterone.

I've spoken to a dozen people who installed them and not one used the adjective.. "easy"...

and yes.. the bellypan has to be trimmed... There are lines on the inside for doing that.. That part is easy with a Dremel tool and steady hands.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
I tried and couldn't do it by myself.. If I had a lift I might have muddled through it... I ended up getting a buddy to help me.. It really takes 4 hands and at least a modicum of muscle and testosterone.

I've spoken to a dozen people who installed them and not one used the adjective.. "easy"...

and yes.. the bellypan has to be trimmed... There are lines on the inside for doing that.. That part is easy with a Dremel tool and steady hands.
Jerry:

For those very reasons I just used a tie down strap - don't like asking for help - don't like waiting for help - any don't like busting my knuckles trying to do something. I am sure doing it on the ground is a different story.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 08-07-2014, 11:56 AM
Shooting the gap

Sounds like a trip to stealer. I may stick with rear wheel stand for now
Old 08-07-2014, 11:59 AM
Supporting Vendor
Thanked 2,079 Times in 800 Posts

We're on the same page, Bruce...

and for what it's worth... The centerstand has been invaluable.. Worth every penny. I use mine every day..

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev
Jerry:

For those very reasons I just used a tie down strap - don't like asking for help - don't like waiting for help - any don't like busting my knuckles trying to do something. I am sure doing it on the ground is a different story.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Sounds like a trip to stealer. I may stick with rear wheel stand for now
Do yourself a favor and get the centerstand - as Jerry stated it is invaluable - and if you don't want to take a shot at it - then let the dealer do it. Like Jerry I use mine all the time - and just in case you are wondering - I've never had a clearance issue with it - now I may not get my bike leaned over as far as others but I've never heard of anyone having a problem.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 08-07-2014, 12:12 PM
Shooting the gap

I owned an FZ1 and it had one and loved it every day. I will buy it and see what is involved.
If I can't (looks like ), will check with dealer. Going for service this tuesday and will ask.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:23 PM
Living the Dream

Agree with the others, best single upgrade you can do. Essential for properly monitoring your oil level and doing maintenance. I found trimming the belly pan easy with a dremmel tool, just follow the lines. Do a few practice cuts on the part that you will be trimming off to get your technique down. Clean up the edges with a file when done if you have some uneven or rough spots.

As far as the install of the side stand goes I just followed the instructions and it was easy. Like Bruce said I fiddled a bit getting the last bolt in because of the spring tension, however I was able to do it without a second pair of hands.

You will want a torque wrench.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:37 PM
Shooting the gap

Do have torque wrench, Do have a nice dremel and good pair of hands and eyes.
I just need some encouragement and that will do it. Last post is making me believe in myself
Old 08-07-2014, 01:53 PM
Shooting the gap

If you don't have a lift table to secure a ratchet strap to you can use another fixed object. I pulled my truck up behind my bike and attached the ratchet strap to the tow hitch and was able to get the last bolt in. Kinda redneck/MacGyver solution but it worked...
Old 08-07-2014, 01:57 PM
Shooting the gap

I could use two support poles in garage. I guess it just needs to be secure and in center ?
Old 08-07-2014, 02:03 PM
Living the Dream

Quote:
I could use two support poles in garage. I guess it just needs to be secure and in center ?

You have to overcome the tension of the spring to get the left side mounting bolt holes to line up. The instructions recommend using a tie down strap to the paralever assy to pull the sidestand back so the holes line up. I found that unnecessary and was able to do it with my right hand while I used my left hand to feed the bolt through. took me a few tries to get the leverage angle correct. A strap to a pole in the garage should do the trick provided it is right behind the bike slightly offset to the left to clear the rear tire.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:08 PM

I didn't find this too difficult to do for one person. With the bike on it's side stand, I deviated from the instructions and bolted left and right side of the center stand to the frame. Using someone else's suggestion on this forum, I stuck one end of the spring assembly in a vice and while pulling the spring over from side to side, inserted 1/4" flat washers along the way of the outer spring. Once I had that done, the spring was elongated enough to simple put it in place without any more stretching. Nice thing about the flat washers is that I could now insert a small screwdriver to pull out the washers.

The trimming of the belly pan took the longest. If I wasn't so anal about leaving more material than going for the factory cut marks, this install would have been done within an hour. I used the bandsaw to do the rough cut and used the Dremel to clean it up to give the cut a clean straight look.

I had posted up some pictures on this thread...

http://www.i-bmw.com/showpost.php?p=614342&postcount=23

Daryl
2014 K1300S Black - "Caz"

Akrapovic Slip-On | Beemer Grip Buddies | Thottlemeister | Pirate's Helmet Lock | 3M Tank Slappers | Hornig GPS Mount | Wunderlich Frame Sliders
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'bd43' for this post:
Old 08-07-2014, 10:18 PM
Shooting the gap

Nice work there. Where did you guys buy the stand ? I see amazon sells them as well.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Nice work there. Where did you guys buy the stand ? I see amazon sells them as well.

I bought mine from the dealer when I purchased the bike. I believe it is a genuine BMW part.

You'll see the stand on the fiches of bike shops that carry OEM BMW parts.

Daryl
2014 K1300S Black - "Caz"

Akrapovic Slip-On | Beemer Grip Buddies | Thottlemeister | Pirate's Helmet Lock | 3M Tank Slappers | Hornig GPS Mount | Wunderlich Frame Sliders
Old 08-07-2014, 11:52 PM
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote:

Hi Edison

I asume is for your K1300S. Same as K1200S

A complete How to in this thread. Thanks Kevin!

"Center Stand Install w Photos" http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=7268
Old 08-08-2014, 09:21 AM
Shooting the gap

Wonder why motech is half the price of BMW. Does anyone have an idea if there is big difference in quality ?
Old 08-08-2014, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Wonder why motech is half the price of BMW. Does anyone have an idea if there is big difference in quality ?
There has been post here check the search - some had no issues others did. The O.E.M. for sure no issues.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 08-08-2014, 09:48 AM
Shooting the gap

OEM it is then
Old 08-11-2014, 02:48 PM
Crashing the net!!!

I ordered mine from maxbmw in NH, I think they shipped it free and it included the instructions and was below MSRP IIRC. I ordered it over the phone to be sure what I was getting.

I used a ratchet strap along with some brain cells and beer and didn't scratch the stand much haha. I don't have a lift BTW. The hardest part is trimming the plastic belly pan, tricky to get at some of it with the dremel. All in all, not difficult if you are used to some wrench wrestling and have a ratchet strap and a little brain power.
Favorite current toys: NEW! 2016 Arctic Cat Wildcat X 1000 UTV! - '09 Light Gray K1300S daily driver 65k - '12 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 SP Corse 'round town scooter - '09 CRF450X , Plated - Snow Duty: '04 MB S500 4matic - Rain Duty: 2000 Corvette

"K1300S is the most refined sport bike I have ever had the pleasure of riding" -Wolfman
Old 08-11-2014, 03:15 PM
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRx
and it included the instructions and was below MSRP IIRC.
Hi Jay

If the Center Stand comes with the instruction manual, can you scan to take pics of it?, just to post here in the forum. I think would be interesting to have it. I tried to find and no way.

Thanks...
Old 08-11-2014, 06:53 PM
Crashing the net!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardo
Hi Jay

If the Center Stand comes with the instruction manual, can you scan to take pics of it?, just to post here in the forum. I think would be interesting to have it. I tried to find and no way.

Thanks...

Not sure what I did with it. At the link I posted the instructions list for 2.26, so no brainer to buy with kit if in fact not included. Either way I don't recall anything revealing in them except for to use a ratchet strap.
Favorite current toys: NEW! 2016 Arctic Cat Wildcat X 1000 UTV! - '09 Light Gray K1300S daily driver 65k - '12 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 SP Corse 'round town scooter - '09 CRF450X , Plated - Snow Duty: '04 MB S500 4matic - Rain Duty: 2000 Corvette

"K1300S is the most refined sport bike I have ever had the pleasure of riding" -Wolfman
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'XRx' for this post:
Old 08-12-2014, 12:39 PM
Shooting the gap

Ordered one over Amazon. could not find it cheaper anywhere else.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:56 PM
Shooting the gap

Done. Stand installed using strap. It was not difficult at all. Now on to cutting the belly pan.
Did you guys install one half first and cut it and then went to 2nd side or kept both halves together ?
Old 08-15-2014, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Done. Stand installed using strap. It was not difficult at all. Now on to cutting the belly pan.
Did you guys install one half first and cut it and then went to 2nd side or kept both halves together ?
Take both sides off and cut accordingly.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 08-15-2014, 01:56 PM
Crashing the net!!!

Quote:
Did you guys ne half first and cut it and then went to 2nd side or kept both halves together ?

You may have already seen, someone on here did a nice job of cutting away les than recommended. You might consider that option.

But realistically, I don't even notice the stand or cutout when I look at the bike. Maybe different top those with a painted belly pan