I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200S > "K12S/KR" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12S/KR" Technical Q&A K1200S/R Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 08-22-2018, 10:48 AM
Getting up to speed

Sidestand Pivot Bolt Missing

I'm getting ready for a 7 day ride, mostly through Colorado. While washing my K12S I noticed 'movement' near the sidestand. Oops. The bolt is gone. How long ago did that happen? I dont have a centerstand.

I ordered a new bolt. My real question though is about the sidestand switch attachment. The fiche shows the new bolt will have a projection on which the switch will locate. Along with a tang that fits into a bracket pocket. My service CD has little sidestand detail.

Is that it? Seems like I'm missing something...
Old 08-23-2018, 02:46 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,574 Times in 1,206 Posts

Re: Sidestand Pivot Bolt Missing

Well, first off, glad your bike did not dump, second nothing major broken. Note the blue loctite product on the threads. Put it all together carefully and don't over think it. Should work just fine. MAX bmw parts fiche has a nice picture and it would not hurt to own a service manual DVD. I have not looked up the torque but a M10 bolt would be good at about 45 Nm. Clean and de grease the threads with some spray. Keep things lubed in the future. A little spray oil every couple of months would do it. The center stand needs to be opened up and greased every year or so. More difficult.

S1000R
I need a Honda sport or better yet a Monkey
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:01 AM
Getting up to speed

Re: Sidestand Pivot Bolt Missing

I've finished my 2,500 mile tour of Colorado and Utah...without a sidestand pivot bolt. The K12S bolt received from Bob's BMW did not fit my bike, regardless of the fiche part number. We clamped the sidestand switch to the upper part of the sidestand. Spring pressure strong enough.

The new bolt has a large OD of 16mm and does not fit inside the bore of the sidestand. Too large. There is a protrusion on the upper, back side of the sidestand. It looks integral to the stand, but is actually the extension of a bushing. I removed it and the OD diameter was 16mm. New bolt now fit perfectly. Things tight and strong.

Bob's parts department cannot understand the situation. No bushing in any documentation. Ebay pictures of used sidestands show the 'bushing' protrusion. Very mysterious. I would appreciate comments from anyone with sidestand experience.

BTW when removing the sidestand spring, I used the coin hack to keep the spring expanded during disassembly. Pennies in each coil, and tape wrap to keep them in place. Amazed it worked.