I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200GT-Slant 4 Version > "K12GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12GT" Technical Q&A K1200GT-'NG'- Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

View Poll Results: How many miles did your stock ESA shocks last before needing replacement? (GT/S/RT)
0-10k miles 2 2.47%
10k-15k miles 4 4.94%
15k-20k miles 5 6.17%
20k-25k miles 11 13.58%
30k-35k miles 17 20.99%
35k-40k miles 9 11.11%
45k-50k miles 7 8.64%
50,000+ miles 21 25.93%
I changed them before they were worn out because I hated them 5 6.17%
Voters: 81. You may not vote until 'registered'. Please go here: http://www.i-bmw.com/register.php

Old 05-15-2008, 05:10 PM
...Riding California...

Exclamation Poll:How many miles on your ESA shocks (GT/S/RT) before replacement?

Forgive me if this has been posted before but I've searched without seeing a definitive answer. If your ESA shocks haven't worn out, please don't vote.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Thumbs up Re: Poll:How many miles on your ESA shocks (GT/S/RT) before replacement?

I am at 27,000 and still going, but beginning to feel a little softness at each setting
Old 05-16-2008, 10:51 PM
(Moderator) & Site Historian

Re: Poll:How many miles on your ESA shocks (GT/S/RT) before replacement?

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=331106&Board=22&fpart=all &gonew=1#UNREAD

Rod,

You might check this thread on the RT Board. There, apparently, is a firm called "Works" that makes esa compatible shocks.

The thread starter had new shocks built for the esa system on his bike and seems pretty satisfied.

The cost also seemed reasonable at approx. $1200 and change - the firm is based in the U.S.

What seems odd is that while the damping settings are used as before, i.e. "comfort", "normal", "sport", the pre-load is handled on the new shocks manually? Well, maybe for the pre-load that's even a little more straight-forward than the original shocks which are a bit more fiddly, sticking the bike in neutral and toggling thru the helmets scenario.

Seems like Bill's experience is what has been expressed on the K-S forum with these esa shocks; i.e. start to feel a little softness creeping in at around 30,000 miles.

Miles
Old 05-17-2008, 02:35 PM
...Riding California...

Works Suspension is not too far from me here in California. From my understanding, they do not replace the electronic preload adjustment, just the damping. In other words you have to use a wrench to go from 1 passenger to 2 passenger setting. That to me is not an acceptable option as it compromises the functionality of the ESA, if it's true. Anybody know?
Old 05-17-2008, 11:17 PM
Cocked and loaded...
Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,040 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye.surgeon
Works Suspension is not too far from me here in California. From my understanding, they do not replace the electronic preload adjustment, just the damping. In other words you have to use a wrench to go from 1 passenger to 2 passenger setting. That to me is not an acceptable option as it compromises the functionality of the ESA, if it's true. Anybody know?
I agree, it defeats the purpose of ESA. It seems, at the moment, the only options are to cough up $3K for OEM ESA shocks, or go with an aftermarket non-ESA. I have yet to find a definitive answer on whether the computer can be manipulated to not show a fault if the ESA shocks are replaced with non-ESA. This whole situation frustrated me so much that I bought a new non-ESA bike when my ESA shocks began going south.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:40 AM
...Riding California...

I can't believe that BMW would be crazy enough to require a $3,000 suspension change every 2-3 years on ESA bikes. Even THEY have got to find this offensive. Either the price has to be reduced or the aftermarket has to step forward with a real solution, or the value of these bikes on the used market is going to tank even more.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:28 AM
(Moderator) " Shithead of the Year "

Talking Re: Poll:How many miles on your ESA shocks (GT/S/RT) before replacement?

Its $$$$$$$$ .......... Cats out of the
01 Checker for sale

" Somewhere in all this Horseshit ...... there got to be a pony ...... trust me "
Old 05-18-2008, 02:27 PM
Just Ride It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneedragger
This whole situation frustrated me so much that I bought a new non-ESA bike when my ESA shocks began going south.
And now BMW's marketing genius reveals itself.
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT
'07 Dark Graphite Metallic K12GT
IBA# 366, MOA# 111996
Old 05-19-2008, 07:24 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Mine was broken after 6000 kilometers.
Now i have 13000 km and i am still waiting for a replacement.

Kind regards,

fireman_belgium@hotmail.com

2007 - R1200RT
Old 05-19-2008, 08:02 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye.surgeon
I can't believe that BMW would be crazy enough to require a $3,000 suspension change every 2-3 years on ESA bikes. Even THEY have got to find this offensive. Either the price has to be reduced or the aftermarket has to step forward with a real solution, or the value of these bikes on the used market is going to tank even more.

well i guess BMW is crazy because it does cost 3K plus to replace the ESA shocks, my next bike if it's a BMW will not have ESA. i think ESA is a great idea and useful tool but they should be rebuildable at a reasonable cost.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'wellcraft' for this post:
Old 11-21-2013, 05:41 AM
Site Contributor
Thanked 5,009 Times in 2,036 Posts

This poll makes me nervous about the longevity of my ESA shocks on my K1300R. And a few others too I'm sure.
The weight of the bike (these models have different curb mass) and wether a lot of miles are done fully loaded and/or with a passenger, and type of riding, freeway or bumpy back roads would have to contribute to the speed at which they begin to fail.
Yeah, yeah, I'm probably stating the obvious, but it would good to gather some more specific info on the above factors in these replies, together with this great poll, and the already posted information, us newer ESA equipped bike owners might be able to get an idea of when to expect trouble.

Cheers
KiwiMat

K1300S - 2011 Blue - 30,300km
R.I.P. - K1300R 2013 Red - 70,000km
Old 11-21-2013, 07:47 AM
Retirement is Fleeting

If you bring your KS to BMW for a full suspension (ESA) upgrade/replacement what is the cost, parts and labor??
Is it really $3000.00?????
Old 11-21-2013, 09:26 AM
To the moon Alice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notthatold
If you bring your KS to BMW for a full suspension (ESA) upgrade/replacement what is the cost, parts and labor??
Is it really $3000.00?????

And some, more like $4K! on my K1300GT I had my front and back replaced at 30,000 miles under warranty, both were leaking oil

1973 BLACK NORTON COMMANDO 850
2009 RED K1300GT
Old 11-21-2013, 09:30 AM
Just one of the Gurls
Thanked 2,840 Times in 2,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor D
And some, more like $4K! on my K1300GT I had my front and back replaced at 30,000 miles under warranty, both were leaking oil
Very simple fix, and less expensive...just disconnect the ESA and ut on custom Wilbers...no fault indicators will show on your computer either. Maybe there will be an ESA Wilbers soon?

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 01-03-2014, 11:45 PM
Getting up to speed

Sorry, but this poll is poorly designed. It provides no input for those who haven't needed to replace and what their current mileage is.
2008 Suzuki GSX650F - sold
1982 Honda V45 Sabre - sold
1980 Honda CM125 - sold
Old 01-04-2014, 05:59 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,599 Times in 3,266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch12
Sorry, but this poll is poorly designed. It provides no input for those who haven't needed to replace and what their current mileage is.
Grinch:

The poll is for those who have had to replace and at what mileage. I could post that my 2013 KS with 6K miles on it - the suspension is perfect. Really not going to help anyone.

Also even with mileage that does not tell the entire story. How you ride - what you weigh - two up riding - loaded with gear - all these factor into the equation as well.

This poll was a general fact finding for what mileage did a riders ESA suspension finally fail/need replacing.

How does someone posting that they have 50K miles on the original suspension help this poll. There will always be exceptions on both sides - some will fail very early - some won't fail during ownership.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 01-04-2014, 06:21 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev
Grinch:

The poll is for those who have had to replace and at what mileage. I could post that my 2013 KS with 6K miles on it - the suspension is perfect. Really not going to help anyone.

Also even with mileage that does not tell the entire story. How you ride - what you weigh - two up riding - loaded with gear - all these factor into the equation as well.

This poll was a general fact finding for what mileage did a riders ESA suspension finally fail/need replacing.

How does someone posting that they have 50K miles on the original suspension help this poll. There will always be exceptions on both sides - some will fail very early - some won't fail during ownership.
I've seen this argument before and it's very narrow-minded. Why not add a couple of additional options so that we can all see the bigger picture? I for one, would like to see how many have not experienced the failure. Why is this so difficult to comprehend?
1980 Honda CM125 - sold
Old 01-04-2014, 06:49 PM
Just one of the Gurls

Quote:
I've seen this argument before and it's very narrow-minded. Why not add a couple of additional options so that we can all see the bigger picture? I for one, would like to see how many have not experienced the failure. Why is this so difficult to comprehend?
Er, ahh, the poll asks at what mileage they were replaced...a wear item...they don't last forever...eventually, a current owner of the bike will replace them. Those without issues were asked not to vote.

The poll is six years old and only twenty people responded and with 18,000 members here, is virtually irrelevant IMO.

You could write a new poll to your exact specifications. Perhaps we will get more scientifically useful results.

Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
Old 01-04-2014, 07:18 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,599 Times in 3,266 Posts

Quote:
The suspension like all components is a wear item. Again there will be riders that don't have any miles on their bike so that is of no value to us. Then their are riders that don't realize the suspension is shot so when they state high miles not a true statement.

And again these are in general numbers. Every rider will not experience this failure at the same time.

Me telling you that I got 20K miles out of my suspension is strictly for reference. As I stated many factors determine the wear and not one of us rides the same - weighs the same.

My riding style and weight will most likely get me higher mileage than most.

You are one of a very few that think this type of info is of no value.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 01-04-2014, 07:19 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jargon
Er, ahh, the poll asks at what mileage they were replaced...a wear item...they don't last forever...eventually, a current owner of the bike will replace them. Those without issues were asked not to vote.

The poll is six years old and only twenty people responded and with 18,000 members here, is virtually irrelevant IMO.

You could write a new poll to your exact specifications. Perhaps we will get more scientifically useful results.
You made some good points, Jargon. I stand corrected.
1980 Honda CM125 - sold
Old 01-04-2014, 07:22 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev
The suspension like all components is a wear item. Again there will be riders that don't have any miles on their bike so that is of no value to us. Then their are riders that don't realize the suspension is shot so when they state high miles not a true statement.

And again these are in general numbers. Every rider will not experience this failure at the same time.

Me telling you that I got 20K miles out of my suspension is strictly for reference. As I stated many factors determine the wear and not one of us rides the same - weighs the same.

My riding style and weight will most likely get me higher mileage than most.

You are one of a very few that think this type of info is of no value.
I guess if you're not trying to go for a point in time type of poll, then I can see what ur saying. My bad.
1980 Honda CM125 - sold
Old 01-04-2014, 07:39 PM
Just one of the Gurls

Quote:
You made some good points, Jargon. I stand corrected.
The points I made referred to the old poll, but did not address what info you are seeking. Why don't you write a new poll?

Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
Old 01-05-2014, 09:27 AM
Site Contributor

Allow me to share some of my recent research, regarding a replacement ESA rear shock for my 2007 K1200GT:

* REPLACE WITH A NEW BMW ESA SHOCK:
A new replacement ESA rear shock is $2800. Eeek!

* REPLACE WITH A THIRD-PARTY NON-ESA SHOCK:
Ted Porter's BeemerShop in Scott's Valley, CA is very knowledgable about BMW motorcycle suspensions. I spoke with Ted Porter on the phone. What a nice guy! They have a YouTube video describing the way that they attach ESA equipment to a Wilbers shock. Unfortunately, it does not apply to my K1200GT. He says that Wilbers does not make a compatible ESA-attachable shock for the K1200GT. Ted urged me to consider buying replacement shocks and forget about ESA. If I recall correctly, he recommended the Ohlins, but it might have been the Wilbers. Either way, his arguments were:

-- Third party replacement shocks would be vastly superior to the BMW OEM shocks.
-- Third party replacement shocks could be customized to my weight and riding habits.
-- Third party replacement shocks had many more intermediate "click" settings, so I can adjust them to the precise value for my needs any time I make a change. In contrast, the ESA offers only three preload and three damping settings respectively. Most likely, I would be better off choosing an intermediate value that does match any of the ESA settings.
-- Ted noted that ESA settings tend to be clustered on one side of the settings spectrum, while the third party shocks span a wider range of settings.
-- Changing click settings on third-party shocks is easy, no tools required. Obviously it is not as convenient as a push button, but Ted asked how often I actually change the settings, and noted that I must stop to change the preload settings.

Interesting YouTube Video, that does not apply to my K1200GT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf7MIVPfic4

Ted Porter's BeemerShop, highly recommended:
http://www.beemershop.com

* REPLACE WITH A WORKS PERFORMANCE ESA-COMPATIBLE SHOCK:
A friend recently replaced the ESA shocks on his BMW motorcycle with ones from Works Performance in Canoga Park, CA. He is not pleased with them, describing them as "mushy", and "wallowing". He STRONGLY urged me to AVOID them. http://www.worksperformance.com

* HAVE RACETECH REBUILD THE BMW ESA SHOCK:
At the Cycle World Motorcycle Show in Long Beach, I met a technician who rebuilds shocks for RaceTech in Corona, CA. He is familiar with the BMW OEM ESA shocks on my K1200GT, and says that RaceTech can rebuild them as new, with working ESA features. He quoted me $575 for the work. This is the option I probably would have tried if I had not found a good used part (see below). http://www.racetech.com

* BUY A WORKING USED ESA SHOCK:
I found a used rear 2008 ESA K1200GT shock with low miles (the owner claimed 5000 miles) on it. I bought it, but have not yet installed it. It came from a 2008 K1200GT, and I hope the shock is a direct replacement for my 2007 K1200GT shock. When this shock begins to go, I will take my old shock to RaceTech for a rebuild.

* NOTE ABOUT THE REPAIR MANUAL AND REPLACING A REAR SHOCK:
A couple years ago, I watched (I dare not say "helped") a friend replace the rear shock on his 2007 K1200GT. We had a current copy of the official BMW REPROM Repair manual on DVD (a legitimate copy, bought from the dealer, of course).

The procedure in the BMW repair manual directs you to remove a rear subframe as a part of the replacement process. It doesn't work. It was not possible to remove the rear subframe, because a hard metal brake line ran through a hole in the subframe. The brake line was stuck in position, and definitely threaded through the subframe. There was no easy way to follow the procedure, and we were confident that BMW did not intend for mechanics to remove the brake line. We assumed that the design had changed somewhere along the way, and the repair manual was not updated accordingly.

My friend improvised, and was easily able to remove and replace the rear shock by removing the fuel tank to make space to get into the frame through the seat area. His improvised procedure was far better and easier than the procedure as written in the repair manual.

I hope this helps.
The following (5) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'XMagnaRider' for this post:
Old 01-05-2014, 09:34 AM
(Moderator) " Shithead of the Year "

Smile Re: Poll:How many miles on your ESA shocks (GT/S/RT) before replacement?

01 Checker for sale

" Somewhere in all this Horseshit ...... there got to be a pony ...... trust me "
Old 01-05-2014, 09:41 AM
Just one of the Gurls

D, I'm sure Ted recommended the Wilber's, as he believes they are better than the Ohlins, in that they are made of steel and not aluminum. The steel will not degrade over time like the aluminum will, thus causing more rebuild cost when the time comes. Plus, he's a Wilber's distributor.

I bought non ESA shocks for my KS from him and love them. They are the most recent technology, whereas Ohlins designs a shock for a bike, and they produce it until they stop...in the meantime, they don't upgrade it as technology improves, therefore, for example, the Ohlins TTX rear, the more advanced design, is not available for the K bikes.

A very nice summary D, of the choices available. Thanks for taking the time.

Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
Old 01-05-2014, 10:13 AM
Happy to be here!
Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,223 Posts

Quote:
I guess if you're not trying to go for a point in time type of poll, then I can see what ur saying. My bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jargon
The points I made referred to the old poll, but did not address what info you are seeking. Why don't you write a new poll?

Not that I care for polls but I have to agree with Jargon. You are looking for a specific set of information not covered by the original poster, so why not setup another poll. I think it would be interesting to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceV
Then their are riders that don't realize the suspension is shot so when they state high miles not a true statement.

I have to concur 100% Bruce. My ESA shocks were probably shot at 30k miles but because of the slow decline in performance I really didn't notice it too much. At 40k miles I did but thought the problem was worn tires. Replaced the tires and rode another couple thousand miles before it hit me! Eventually had Wilbers installed at 50k miles and what a difference! Love the Wilbers.

Keyboard Hero!
A product of "unfortunate upbringing...”
Dolt, One of Five!

Life is good!
Old 01-05-2014, 10:35 AM
Just one of the Gurls

Joe, how are your ball joints at your mileage? Did you have them checked, replaced?

Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'jargon' for this post:
Old 01-05-2014, 10:38 AM
Happy to be here!
Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jargon
Joe, how are your ball joints at your mileage? Did you have them checked, replaced?

No problems and I had them checked at 60k (at 64k now). I might be developing a problem with second gear though.

Keyboard Hero!
A product of "unfortunate upbringing...”
Dolt, One of Five!

Life is good!
Old 06-01-2014, 11:39 PM
Site Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to mondrage

Mine probably lasted less.. they were downright horrible when I changed them. They're non-ESA now.
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000 (SOLD - rebought), Honda CB550Four 1978 (SOLD)
BMW R1200R 2009 (in my stable, thinking about it...)
-----------------------------------------------------
Old 06-02-2014, 08:05 AM
Shooting the gap

I know this is an old thread but my front started leaking around 33K. I had the stockers rebuilt. About $1,100 including labor. They are no Ohlins or Wilbers but I still have the ESA and the ride has improved. I figure I'll give them another 2 years then swap them out with a set of Wilbers.
* '09 K1300GT (Magnesium Beige Metallic) (Bike #11)
* '09 Yamaha FZ1 (Bike #13 - Jumped up and bit me)
* '03 K1200GT (Orient Blue) (I'll miss you baby)
* '82 Kawasaki GPZ 750 (Bike #12 - Sold at a HUGE loss, but sold)

"Life throws me lots of curves; I lean into all of them."
-me
Old 06-02-2014, 08:22 AM
Fuse lit...
Thanked 1,146 Times in 455 Posts

My K1600GT has a little over 18,000 miles on it and the shocks are definitely not what they were when new. I wish BMW would have provided an option on this flagship bike to have OEM rebuildable shocks like Ohlins or Wilburs. I would have check off that box. I'll probably replace mine with a set of Wilburs before next spring with mileage in the high-20K range.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:58 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FusionGuy
I know this is an old thread but my front started leaking around 33K. I had the stockers rebuilt. About $1,100 including labor. They are no Ohlins or Wilbers but I still have the ESA and the ride has improved. I figure I'll give them another 2 years then swap them out with a set of Wilbers.
Who rebuilt them?
Old 06-05-2014, 08:30 PM
Shooting the gap

EPM Performance. They give you a 1 year warranty with a rebuild.

-me
Old 06-08-2014, 07:37 AM
Shooting the gap

Hi all (long time i know) but still on my K1300GT with now almost 31k miles. We were in the French and Italian Alps and, although two up and fully loaded with luggage, in the twisties I was being slaughtered by every bike and most cars! I put it down to the K13GT but then a K16GT went past and confidently took a tight bend whereas I was obliged to slow right down.
So, is it my riding? I do not believe so.
So is it the suspension that's now "shot"? Would this not be picked up at a device by BMW?
If it IS the suspension; what are the symptoms? I am really unsure how I can be sure.

The bike is faultless apart from this and so, were I to replace the suspension with Ohlins; will this materially improve the bike's handling and how will this work with the ESA II that I have ?

Thanks guys
Previously, I have owned ...
2009 K1300 GT SE - what a great bike
2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 (good; but not exciting)
2006 K1200 GT (flying brick)
2006 R1150R (bought upon advice but no, not for me)
1990-2006 - mid life crisis - no bike (tried to grow up - and failed!)
1989 - Honda CB125 (ridiculous)
1980-1989 - the dark years (no bike
1978 Suzuki GS 750 (exceptional bike at the time)
1977 Suzuki GT 500 (rubbish!)
1976 Honda CB 250 (toured France, great!)
1976 Suzuki GT 185
1975 Honda C50 (don't laugh!)
Old 06-08-2014, 11:18 AM
Shooting the gap

Depending on how you ride it, I'd say it's either on its way out or soon will be. Mine starting leaking at 33K. When it went, it went quickly. Ohlins FTW.

-me
Old 07-19-2014, 12:53 PM
Just one of the Gurls

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIS
Hi all (long time i know) but still on my K1300GT with now almost 31k miles. We were in the French and Italian Alps and, although two up and fully loaded with luggage, in the twisties I was being slaughtered by every bike and most cars! I put it down to the K13GT but then a K16GT went past and confidently took a tight bend whereas I was obliged to slow right down.
So, is it my riding? I do not believe so.
So is it the suspension that's now "shot"? Would this not be picked up at a device by BMW?
If it IS the suspension; what are the symptoms? I am really unsure how I can be sure.

The bike is faultless apart from this and so, were I to replace the suspension with Ohlins; will this materially improve the bike's handling and how will this work with the ESA II that I have ?

Thanks guys
John, there is no doubt that new shocks will change your bike, none whatsoever. Have them tuned at a suspension shop after you install them. The bike will feel brand new and might even handle better! Imagine!

Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
Old 07-19-2014, 05:48 PM
Speed Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriverWes
My K1600GT has a little over 18,000 miles on it and the shocks are definitely not what they were when new. I wish BMW would have provided an option on this flagship bike to have OEM rebuildable shocks like Ohlins or Wilburs. I would have check off that box. I'll probably replace mine with a set of Wilburs before next spring with mileage in the high-20K range.

The problem being with a thread like this how many others have your 'Feel' by the time they have 18 on shocks are already on the way out and by 25 reasy for the bin or in my Ohlins case a rebuild/refresh but how often do you read about folk who have 40/50K on them when you and I know they must be just wobbling along,it's all relative as they say
Old 04-10-2015, 07:29 PM
Site Contributor

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but I have some new information to share.

The rear shock has been leaking on my 2007 K1200GT, so I bought a slightly used rear shock from a 2008 K1200GT (5,000 miles, supposedly) on eBay to replace it. I ran out of time, so I paid the dealer to replace the shock for me. To everyone's surprise, the 2008 rear shock did not work with the ESA. The damping (Sport, Normal, Comfort) worked, but the preload (1-up, 1-up/luggage, 2-up) did not work.

Here is what I learned:

* THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF K1200GT SHOCKS:
-- The earlier K1200GT shocks (including my late 2007 model) rely on a potentiometer for the position sensor. There is an extra wire on the earlier type shocks with the potentiometer.
-- The later K1200GT shocks (including the 2008 shock that I bought from eBay) use Hall Effect switches. There is one less wire on the Hall Effect shocks compared with the potentiometer type.

* EARLIER K1200GT ON BOARD COMPUTERS (ZFE?) ARE NOT COMPATIBLE WITH LATER SHOCKS:
-- The on board computer (ZFE?) on my 2007 K1200GT only works with the early (potentiometer) shocks. It will not work with the later (Hall Effect) shocks.
-- A later model (e.g. 2008) computer is compatible with both types of shock. According to the dealer, you can install the new computer and replace only one shock. The new computer will recognize that one shock is the early (potentiometer) type and the other is the newer (Hall Effect) type and work with them correctly. So they say.

* EARLY (POTENTIOMETER) SHOCKS ARE NO LONGER AVAILABLE FROM BMW:
If your early (potentiometer) shock is damaged and you want to buy a replacement from BMW, then you must buy the newer (Hall Effect) shock for $2800, and also a new compatible computer (ZFE?) for $750. Really. Scary.

* WHAT HAPPENED TO ME:
-- I needed my K1200GT in working order quickly for an upcoming long trip, so I gave in and took it to the dealer.
-- The dealer replaced the 2007 rear shock with the used 2008 shock.
-- After "buttoning everything up", that is when the dealer learned about the difference between the two shocks.
- - I could have chosen to leave the 2008 shock installed, and pay for a replacement computer (ZFE?) for $750.
-- Instead, I took my leaking 2007 shock to Race Tech in Corona, CA. They were very nice about fixing the problem. Total cost at Race Tech (fix leaking shock): $163. There was a lot of riding back and forth (two round trips) for me between Race Tech and the dealer, but I didn't have time to mess around with ordinary shipping, and I live in So Cal.
-- Lacking time, I paid the dealer to swap out the 2008 (Hall Effect) shock and install the repaired 2007 (potentiometer) shock.
-- The suspension feels great and ESA is working as expected, but what an ordeal to get there!
-- I plan to sell the 2008 (Hall Effect) shock when I have a chance. Send me a PM if you are interested.

I hope this information helps someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
Allow me to share some of my recent research, regarding a replacement ESA rear shock for my 2007 K1200GT:

* REPLACE WITH A NEW BMW ESA SHOCK:
A new replacement ESA rear shock is $2800. Eeek!

* REPLACE WITH A THIRD-PARTY NON-ESA SHOCK:
Ted Porter's BeemerShop in Scott's Valley, CA is very knowledgable about BMW motorcycle suspensions. I spoke with Ted Porter on the phone. What a nice guy! They have a YouTube video describing the way that they attach ESA equipment to a Wilbers shock. Unfortunately, it does not apply to my K1200GT. He says that Wilbers does not make a compatible ESA-attachable shock for the K1200GT. Ted urged me to consider buying replacement shocks and forget about ESA. If I recall correctly, he recommended the Ohlins, but it might have been the Wilbers. Either way, his arguments were:

-- Third party replacement shocks would be vastly superior to the BMW OEM shocks.
-- Third party replacement shocks could be customized to my weight and riding habits.
-- Third party replacement shocks had many more intermediate "click" settings, so I can adjust them to the precise value for my needs any time I make a change. In contrast, the ESA offers only three preload and three damping settings respectively. Most likely, I would be better off choosing an intermediate value that does match any of the ESA settings.
-- Ted noted that ESA settings tend to be clustered on one side of the settings spectrum, while the third party shocks span a wider range of settings.
-- Changing click settings on third-party shocks is easy, no tools required. Obviously it is not as convenient as a push button, but Ted asked how often I actually change the settings, and noted that I must stop to change the preload settings.

Interesting YouTube Video, that does not apply to my K1200GT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf7MIVPfic4

Ted Porter's BeemerShop, highly recommended:
http://www.beemershop.com

* REPLACE WITH A WORKS PERFORMANCE ESA-COMPATIBLE SHOCK:
A friend recently replaced the ESA shocks on his BMW motorcycle with ones from Works Performance in Canoga Park, CA. He is not pleased with them, describing them as "mushy", and "wallowing". He STRONGLY urged me to AVOID them. http://www.worksperformance.com

* HAVE RACETECH REBUILD THE BMW ESA SHOCK:
At the Cycle World Motorcycle Show in Long Beach, I met a technician who rebuilds shocks for RaceTech in Corona, CA. He is familiar with the BMW OEM ESA shocks on my K1200GT, and says that RaceTech can rebuild them as new, with working ESA features. He quoted me $575 for the work. This is the option I probably would have tried if I had not found a good used part (see below). http://www.racetech.com

* BUY A WORKING USED ESA SHOCK:
I found a used rear 2008 ESA K1200GT shock with low miles (the owner claimed 5000 miles) on it. I bought it, but have not yet installed it. It came from a 2008 K1200GT, and I hope the shock is a direct replacement for my 2007 K1200GT shock. When this shock begins to go, I will take my old shock to RaceTech for a rebuild.

* NOTE ABOUT THE REPAIR MANUAL AND REPLACING A REAR SHOCK:
A couple years ago, I watched (I dare not say "helped") a friend replace the rear shock on his 2007 K1200GT. We had a current copy of the official BMW REPROM Repair manual on DVD (a legitimate copy, bought from the dealer, of course).

The procedure in the BMW repair manual directs you to remove a rear subframe as a part of the replacement process. It doesn't work. It was not possible to remove the rear subframe, because a hard metal brake line ran through a hole in the subframe. The brake line was stuck in position, and definitely threaded through the subframe. There was no easy way to follow the procedure, and we were confident that BMW did not intend for mechanics to remove the brake line. We assumed that the design had changed somewhere along the way, and the repair manual was not updated accordingly.

My friend improvised, and was easily able to remove and replace the rear shock by removing the fuel tank to make space to get into the frame through the seat area. His improvised procedure was far better and easier than the procedure as written in the repair manual.

I hope this helps.
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'XMagnaRider' for this post:
Old 02-23-2016, 11:35 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2012

Still going strong at 58K on my GS. I like 'em. I don't use much of the range available: normal to sport, one to two riders, that's about it.

I'd rather think somebody's a son of a bitch than to have him think I'm a son of a bitch.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:28 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB
Still going strong at 58K on my GS. I like 'em. I don't use much of the range available: normal to sport, one to two riders, that's about it.
Well, the same for me on my GT07 with 90000 km, (55000 miles) they work fine. No leak.
Charles
S1000RR 11 white/blue/red, 11000 km, awsome
Old 12-19-2018, 11:08 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,729 Times in 1,232 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles-Henri Jacques
Well, the same for me on my GT07 with 90000 km, (55000 miles) they work fine. No leak.
Charles

Hey Chuck, pis tes shocks pour faire du ski???

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135