I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Alternate bikes > BMW R-Series
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

BMW R-Series Discussions of the Boxers EXCEPT the GS/GSA

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 12-20-2016, 10:49 PM
Getting up to speed

Is my rear main seal leaking ???

Problems , Problems and MORE Problems !

Has anybody ever heard of a R.M.S. leaking after flushing the motor with a mix of oil and diesel fuel ?
Let me start at the beginning and I will try and be brief.
I changed the head gasket on my 04 R1150RT and while doing so I broke about a 1/2 inch off the r/h bottom cam chain guide. I changed the rail by removing the hold down bolt that is at the very bottom of the motor on the r/h side. I then flushed and flushed and flushed with my diesel oil mixture. After flushing the motor with the drain plug out twice i put my plug back in and added more diesel then turned the motor over with the plugs out. I then changed the oil filter and added new oil and started the bike. After maybe letting run for a minute or so i shut the bike off and did a full visual . That's when i found oil seeping from around my starter area.
Since then i have changed the oil and filter again but have not driven it in fear of causing even more damage.

Is it possible that the diesel fuel was to thin and somehow seeped past the seal ? Or could i have missed a piece of the broken rail and its plugged a line perhaps ?

I see no oil in the airbox and the breather line is free so i don't believe my leak is caused by high pressure situation but i just do not have the knowledge to make that call.

Does anybody have any suggestions ? I would like to say thanks for all the help in my previous posts. I just forget that's all.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:21 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,558 Times in 1,191 Posts

Re: Is my rear main seal leaking ???

Diesel fuel will find any way to escape. Change your oil again after a ten minute easy ride and keep on riding. It will settle down.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 12-21-2016, 02:19 AM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,793 Times in 2,064 Posts

Beech knows diesel.

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 12-23-2016, 04:17 PM
Getting up to speed

I just returned from taking a test ride and if not for the 1/2 qt. of oil that leaked out when I returned I would be a very happy person.

Leaking out from rear of motor like I said. Very dirty oil which is strange because sight glass has very clean oil in it.

Like I said. Bike performed great . Good oil pressure etc etc.

I will do a oil change as you suggested and try again. I will keep you all posted. Thanks
Old 12-23-2016, 05:40 PM

The clutch housing might be full of (or quite a lot) of oil. Big trouble if it gets on the clutch. I suggest you determine a good spot on the bottom of the clutch housing and drill a 1/16" hole through it as a drain hole. The K1200RS and GT crowd do this as a way to tell if the rear seal is leaking.
Figure it out, you don't want to drill into your transmission.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:38 PM
Getting up to speed

You are reading my mind . I was planning on doing just that.

Tell me this. Do you think it possible that one of the bolts that are deep inside the cam chain area could cause this leak if it was left loose or even left out? I remember that there are a couple that are really hard to get to. I had a friend helping at one point and its possible that a bolt in that area could have been missed. I have not been using a lift so its a chore to see those cam chain housing bolts .

I am trying to think of where the leak could come from because I just cannot see how in the heck a r.m.s. could just start leaking when the bike had not been started ? I just have a gut feeling that its a missing /loose bolt that is allowing oil to travel to a area that drains into the rear of the motor.

If it is the seal. I can surly access it without pulling the motor correct ? I used to have a 2000 of the same model bike and I changed the clutch without taking the engine out. Same thing I hope ??
Old 12-23-2016, 10:12 PM

Chain guide bolts are something else. Yes, you can change the clutch without taking the engine out. You are right down to the bolts in question almost. Your statements lead me to think the worst. You may need to back track your work and start over. That much liquid is just not right.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
Old 12-24-2016, 12:34 PM

Did any of those bolts that were deep inside and holding a guide piece have crush washers under their heads? I have never done this job, just read about it. I was thinking a bolt that comes from the outside into a chamber with either oil or water, oil in this case, must have a way to seal it to the outer case, and have a specific torque value.
07 11 9 900 244 GASKET RING - A10X15-AL 3 $1.80
S1000R
I need a Vespa
Old 12-24-2016, 01:28 PM
Getting up to speed

No crush washers of any kind. I am thinking that if a bolt was left out completely then who knows where the oil could end up?

One of the main reasons I am leaning in that direction is because it was the last work done and also the leak is on the same level as the cam chain area.

I am going to pull the valve cover off today and take a peek. I will keep you posted. Thanks
Old 12-24-2016, 03:34 PM
Getting up to speed

Took the valve cover back off and there is nothing missing or loose. I was hoping for once that I might have done something wrong ! Ha,Ha What a crock.

I don't know what else to do at this point except to start making plans to replace the rear seal. This is one for the books I tell you.

The ONLY thing I can think of that could have caused the seal to fail was to have overfilled it with my diesel/oil mixture and then cold cranked it (run switch off) which might have caused it ? I just cannot think of anything else ya know ?

I will keep posting. Thanks and I hope everybody has a Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:30 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Hunter63,

Diesel, or Diesel and oil mix, would be much thinner than regular oil and therefore less pressure on the seal, especially at cranking RPM's.

If you used "winter Diesel", it has thinners in it to keep it from gelling. Maybe some of that stuff was bad for the seal rubber??

Can you measure (on the oil sight glass) the oil in the crankcase to make sure it is STILL coming from the crankcase?? Could it be a large pool of oil in the clutch housing slowly seeping out??

Did you change from dino oil to synthetic?? Synthetics are known to get past the seals BMW used in '04, but not as much or fast as you have.

Can you pull the starter and inspect the clutch area, maybe see more about what's going on before splitting the bike in half??

Please let us know what you find.

Lowndes
Old 12-25-2016, 04:52 PM
Getting up to speed

Pulled the starter and there is quite a bit of fresh crankcase oil in the bottom area of housing.

I know its crankcase oil because the sight glass is down quite a bit.

From reading my " Haynes manual " it shows a oil thermostat. I guess it controls the flow of oil that goes into the oil cooler. I was just wondering if this might be stuck shut ? The weather was a lot warmer when I first started repairing the head gasket and now its close to freezing on some nights.

I know this sounds farfetched for sure because even if it was closed then one would think that the oil system would be designed to handle this.... I was just thinking that the seal was due to fail and the extra pressure would have helped it along ?

What is really crazy is the amount of oil that I lost in such a short run time. Lets say it IS a seal. You would have to think that the seal would be darn near pushed free to have that much leakage ? AND if that was the case then it would leak when not running right?

What I am really worried about is if I take the motor all apart to fix a rear seal and in the end it turns out to be something else ?

I keep asking myself "what else could be ? ".. As far as I know there is no other place in that area that would allow crankcase oil to escape......

Another thought I have had is that when I was trying to lock my flex plate in place in order to remove the cam sprocket hold down bolt I let the flex plate get "tweaked" which put pressure on the seal at a angle which in turn allowed it to be distorted ?

I did not have the stock B.M.W. starting ring (flex plate ) holding device so I made one from a old flex plate I had that came from a American made car. A ford Taurus I think. It was not a perfect fit but it did the job and I was able to remove the bolt. But I remember that for it to work I had to place it in the starter area at a slight angle. I just wonder if that "angle" would have put force on the seal at a angle also ?
Old 12-25-2016, 05:41 PM
Getting up to speed

You know, the more I rethink the "tweak" on the flex plate idea the more I like it. When I put my home made hold down in it would be the same as if somebody would have pried up ( or down ) on one side of the flex plate and tried to turn the engine over. I never gave it much thought at the time because it worked like a charm and the cam sprocket bolt came free with just one good tug with a breaker bar.

I am anxious to hear what you guys think........
Old 12-26-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter63
You know, the more I rethink the "tweak" on the flex plate idea the more I like it. When I put my home made hold down in it would be the same as if somebody would have pried up ( or down ) on one side of the flex plate and tried to turn the engine over. I never gave it much thought at the time because it worked like a charm and the cam sprocket bolt came free with just one good tug with a breaker bar.

I am anxious to hear what you guys think........

Hunter63,

I kinda doubt the clutch hold-down you used did in your seal. There is a good size plain bearing right behind (actually forward of the RMS). It can't move around much.

I just saw a Chris Harris vid: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gzR4WHD-94, at 1:17:15) He says, "if your CC breather hose gets crimped, it will blow out your oil sight window or main seal, or both." Have you been mashing that hose lately??

That RMS is not submerged in the crank case oil. Also, it looks like the oil cooling circuit does not connect to this main bearing (no oil above the seal), so this seal would not leak much without the engine running. There could be a pool of oil in the clutch housing leaking out over a period of time after you shut it down. Try Beech's 1/16" dia drain hole.

I'd think the very dirty oil you see dripping is the clean engine oil picking up a lot of clutch crud after it passes the seal on its way to your floor.

Did you match up the pieces of the broken cam chain guide to see if any pieces are missing?? The screen or filter would keep out any leftover pieces, big or small.

Keep us informed!!
Old 12-27-2016, 09:25 PM
Getting up to speed

Nothing to my knowledge was ever crimped and I agree with all the other points that was brought up.

I guess you might say I am "grasping at straws"....

I cleaned the clutch housing area today in preparation of drilling my drain hole when I had another idea I need to ask you guys about.

I think there might be a slight chance that the motor casing has a crack. A friend of mine installed the cam chain guide rail hold down bolt and I am wondering if he might have over tightened it . I have told him several times in the past about putting to much force on a aluminum motor so I know its possible.

If it did crack , the crack would have had to travel upwards from the bolt towards the R.M.S.because the bolt itself is below the clutch area.

Tomorrow I am going to remove my cat converter and center kickstand in hopes of getting a better look at the bolt .

What do you think ? Another "straw" I am trying to grasp ????
Old 12-28-2016, 10:46 AM

Hunter63,

Some thoughts on this situation you're in.

Always best to check the easy stuff first.

If it's a blown seal, best find out why it blew before replacing it and blowing it again.

Make sure the breather hose is open. Blow into the oil fill hole and listen to the air box.

A cracked case wouldn't leak that much oil unless there was a pressurized oil gallery involved, don't think there's one nearby. Wouldn't an overtightened cam chain guide bolt just strip the threads first anyway??

It sounds like with the amount of oil lost in such a short period of time that it has to be a "pressurized leak", not just a weeping seal or gasket. It's not the tranny seal or a hydraulic clutch leaking either.

That leaves two possibilities, a blown RMS, or something weird. Right back where you started.

Anyway, at this point it's almost unavoidable that the clutch is oil soaked, so it needs to be replaced unless it's a Siebenrock.

Please keep us informed.

Regards,
Old 12-30-2016, 01:59 PM

Hunter63,

Just to let you know about your problems, problems, and more problems, it also looks like you also have TWO seals at your rear main.

I was looking to order a seal for my R1100S and noticed that the parts diagram shows two seals. I called Bob's and asked the guy there which one i needed. He said this engine uses TWO SEALS at the rear main. #6 and #7, Part Nums 11 11 134 1087 and 1135 ($37.83 ea plus postage). He verified that it does require two seals, and they are connected by a breather gallery somehow. Shame on me 'cause I got the very last of each they had. I'd guess Countryside has some. This 1100S engine shares a lot of parts with the 1150, and I believe this is the same on yours.

Just another example of there's so much more to love about a BMW.

Lowndes
Old 12-30-2016, 02:09 PM
Getting up to speed

After removing the cat I had a better look at the "bolt" and there is no crack that I could see. No crack , not loose , not too tight etc.

Today I believe I will cold crank the motor to see if I can see the leak and if I cannot then I am not sure what to do.

I agree 100% with trying everything I can to find the leak before replacing the rear seal and having the same thing happen again. The only thing is I am not sure what else I can do ?

One thing I want to mention that has been on my mind..... When I was flushing the motor, i had removed the banjo bolt that secures the oil cooler intake line to the motor. I then turned the motor over and was very surprised at the how much pressure was discharged from that line or at least from that area. I was on the other side of the bike so i could not see if the oil that shot across the room came from the line or the motor.

I assumed at that time, ( because of the amount of discharge pressure ) that the line i had taken loose was the outlet line but after looking at my manual i found that this was the oil cooler return line. I still cannot understand why the return line would have that much force on it ?

I have no idea if this has anything to do with my oil leak but i wanted to mention it.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:17 AM
Getting up to speed

Two R.M.S. ???? Wow ! I did not know that. You would think that it would be twice as hard to have one blow out then ..... ?
Old 01-01-2017, 07:41 PM

Well, Hunter63, I may have the same issue you have, or you have mine.

From the amount of oil coming from the clutch case, I just naturally assumed the RMS let go. My brother and I got the bike apart yesterday. The rear of the engine case (behind the clutch housing) looked clean and dry. But, the clutch slave cyl (dry side) was FULL of oil, and the clutch rod passage was full of oil, and the rest of the inside of the clutch case was soaked, dripping oil. The tranny was not losing any oil, the hydraulic fluid was only down a small amount, so where did all that oil come from??

The GOOD NEWS is that the SPLINES ARE GOOD!! 16K on the bike and the splines are pristine. WOO HOO!!

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...I2R0xGc1gzT25R

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...R0xGc1gz T25R
Old 01-02-2017, 01:38 AM
Getting up to speed

Wow ! I thought mine was leaking a lot of oil until I saw the pictures you posted. I only ran mine for a few minutes though...

Do you have a picture of the rear of your motor with the clutch removed ? You might have sent one and I don't know what I am looking at ! Ha.Ha Its been about 4 years since I did the clutch in my other RT.

I will post pictures tomorrow of my "problem child"..... I have removed the starter and the cat and that's about all.

I don't know why my clutch is not soaked but its not. Well not YET anyway.

I have a small amount of oil coming out of the inspection hole (the one where you view the timing marks) but only a small amount. I am sure that it was slung up there from the moving flex plate ? Did you notice that on your bike also?

It sure would be nice to find that there is a oil sensor or SOMETHING that is attached at the rear of the engine which could be leaking but I don't think so.

What happened to your bike ? Did you just happen to notice that there was oil on the ground ? Was it over a period of time or all at once? Do you remember what kind of oil pressure you were holding before you tore it down?
Old 01-02-2017, 02:46 AM
Getting up to speed

I wonder if anybody might know where I could find a picture of the oiling pathway for my engine ? It is a 2004 R1150 RT
When I looked it up in my manual it was very basic in that area

I did look online but it came up with all sorts of stuff. I tried to be more specific but it still came up with a lot of non related items.

At this rate I am going to have to take a class in how to use my computer before I go much further ! Ha.Ha
Old 01-02-2017, 11:40 PM

Hunter63,

Before you disembowel your beemer, I have an idea it may be your clutch slave cyl that is leaking. These cylinders are known problems, especially on older bikes that have set for a while: die cast aluminum bore is not especially durable anyway. Mine was shot. It was FULL of crud when I pulled it two days ago. Got around to cleaning it today. The bore was trashed, wish I had some b4/after pics of it.

You can remove it from the outside. The hydraulic line attaches to it and the bleeder line, too. Remove the three bolts and slide it out for an inspection. Pull the clutch rod, too. This might be the problem and save you a lot of work. If it isn't the problem, you still need to inspect, clean, and put some protective grease back there. The annular space between and around the tranny and the slave cyl is prone to corrosion, too.

I drilled a weep hole into the gap between the cyl and tranny to hopefully prevent any future leakage from traveling down the clutch rod to the clutch plate, AND give me a warning like a water pump vent hole.

I'm going to replace the shaft seal (23x28??) on the tranny there, too, just because.

Three M6 x 18 bolts, #8 on the CLUTCH CONTROL diagram:
https://store.bobsbmw.com/microfiche/BrowseParts.aspx?GroupName=Clutch+(21)&MBike=51678&GroupID=2 1

Regards,

Lowndes
Old 01-03-2017, 06:04 PM
Getting up to speed

That would be so very cool if that was the problem but I don't know how it could be. For that to happen then the slave cylinder would have to be using the same oil as the engine does. ????
Old 01-04-2017, 06:56 AM

Exactly what I thought, has to be engine oil. It looked and felt like oil, but it 's not. I guess the hydraulic oil the PO used was not DOT4, dunno. Frome the apparent age of the goo and corrosion, this has been going on for a long time, just got really bad recently.

Pull the slave cyl and look. It would be easier with the rear wheel and shock removed, as shown. That's it above the cross bar and under the air box. Three small M6 x 18 bolts:

This is the rear of the tranny, the slave cyl fits in the top hole, three bolts hold it in.

This is the slave cyl. The inside of the cyl wall was shot, corroded, and a real mess. The outside ain't that great either. A cyl rebuild kit is coming from BBY, $35. A new cyl is $200.

I drilled a 1/16" weep hole into the space between the slave and the shaft seal to keep any future leakage from ruining the clutch again:

Inside:

Lowndes
Old 01-14-2017, 09:50 PM
Getting up to speed

Really great pictures.

I have beat my head against the wall trying to figure out where my leak is coming from ,But I am certain that it is not from the clutch control rod area. There is just too much oil for one thing. I drove it around the block and a lot of oil was on the driveway when I parked. My oil level in my sight glass was down also. The amount of oil was about twice of what the clutch hyd system would hold..

I am getting ready to try and contact the B.M.W. plant directly. I would go and talk to a mechanic at a dealer but I live on the edge of Death Valley Calif and the dealer is over 200 miles away.

Its been over 2 months now since my leak started and I am no closer now of finding the problem than I was way back then.

Does anybody have a contact number for a mechanic I could call and talk to?

Thanks for all the help so far.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:38 AM

Asking a doctor at a dinner party for medical advice...humm. Ask a professional BMW mechanic for advice and no money involved, he better be a friend or someone who you have just bought three beers. There is no free lunch. Pack up the bike on a trailer and run it to a good shop, be done with it. All the free advice here did little good. Here is some more free advice, your run the bike and check where the oil is coming from interval is way too long it seems. But when you do find it please share and bueno suerte.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 01-15-2017, 03:15 PM
Getting up to speed

I know what you are saying about asking for free advice from a dealer etc etc. If that was the case then they would be out of business right?

I might have some news to share soon. Hopefully by the end of today.

My stepson confessed last night to knocking my bike over ( right side ) after I had just finished doing the head gasket. I guess he had to have friends help him set it back up and he did not want to tell me because he has been told many times in the past about going into that section of my garage when I am not there.

Armed with this new info I drained my oil and replaced it with diesel.

At some point while adding the diesel it reached the level where the problem is because diesel fuel started pouring out.

I am going to remove the center kick stand in hopes of finding what I now believe to be a crack in the engine housing.

From the amount and rate of flow that was being discharged I don't believe it is a seal but I am ruling out nothing at this point.

I will post as soon as I find something. Thanks
Old 01-15-2017, 04:25 PM

Good detective work, hot on the trail. I was giving this a little more thought and I'm sure glad your son was not hurt. Took some courage to fess up. I bet he spend a few weeks sweating bullets.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
Old 01-15-2017, 07:16 PM
Getting up to speed

My fault for not having it locked. Yes he is very lucky. I hate to even think of what could have happened.

Well. I see no crack. Back to square one.

Grrrrr I am driving myself nuts thinking "what if" soooo I am going to go ahead and tear it down.

Whatever it is hopefully i will find it once I get the tranny off.

I will make sure to post pictures. Thanks for all the help.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:46 PM

Hunter63,

What have you found?? The whole world is waiting to hear and see. Please let us know and post some pics!!

My January:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/J7...8-h589-no?.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/gw...8-h589-no?.jpg

Lowndes
Old 02-21-2017, 08:01 PM
Getting up to speed

Have not opened her up yet and the waiting is getting to me. I planned to start last weekend but my 1982 Chev Luv (remember those trucks ? ) developed a bad vibration so I had to start working on it. Its got a cool little Isuzu diesel engine which makes it great for all the running around I have to do. For instance, the closest store where we can purchase fresh produce is 24 miles away. I need it running ........

The ways things are shaping up it might be another week or two before I can make room in my garage.
My buddie is lending me a very cool bike lift that I am very excited about using.
I have my own lift but It does not go high enough to suit me.

Anyway, it's going to be "slow and easy" on this job. No more mistakes ! At least I hope not ! Ha,Ha

Thanks for asking, you can be sure I will post some pictures as soon as I get her on the operating table ! Talk soon
Old 02-22-2017, 07:09 PM
A skeptic and a pragmatist.

A Chevy Luv? I sure remember helping sticking one of them into the back of a C10/283 and then we went for a drive around town.Small town/1982ish.....!
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
85 BMW K100RS at 28 (Very nice and sorely missed)
90 BMW R100GS at 34 (Too slow, too cranky)
2003 K1200 RS at 53 (Oh Yeah......over 6000RPM)
Old 03-12-2017, 08:56 PM

What's the verdict, Hunter63?? The whole world is still waiting!!

Lowndes
Old 03-29-2017, 08:14 PM
Getting up to speed

Ha,Ha
I am waiting also !! Ha,Ha Garage tied up until yesterday. I moved her into position today and I am now trying to figure out the best way to lift the bike. I have a quad lift that will work I believe but I would like it to be a little higher.

I will most likely have to build a stand that rests on the lift in order to gain the extra height I want.

I will keep the "world" informed on progress . Ha Ha Thanks for asking
Old 03-29-2017, 09:16 PM

'Bout time!!

Hey, make sure the "stand" will support just the front half of the bike by itself. Yer gonna remove the rear half. Front wheel and scissor jack under the engine is how we did it on the m/c lift.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Gp...5-h638-no?.jpg

It still almost makes me tear up seeing these pics of mine. Makes me think of a beautiful super model cut in half by a train.

It's gonna be ugly. It's gonna be brutal, but you're gonna be so glad to get her back together and RIDE HER!!

WE WANT PICS, ALL THE WAY IN. We want to SEE where this oil was coming from.

Be ready for the "unexpected development$"!!

Lowndes
Old 04-21-2017, 09:26 PM
Getting up to speed

I have news !! Some good some bad.... The good news is I found my leak ! The bad news is my wife wiped my pictures before I had a chance to transfer to my computer .....

The leak was not a R.M.S. after all ! Turned out to be coming from a bolt that was left out at the very bottom of the right hand side head.

Weird huh? The oil was coming through the missing bolt hole and dumping out right behind my flywheel.

The only way I can figure out for this to happen is that the first time the head was removed a wrong bolt was used in that place. The bolt must have been too long and pushed the casting out ?

All I know is I replaced the missing bolt and she is running fine (so far )..

Guess I will go for now. It took me three days to complete and I am burned out. Talk later
Old 04-23-2017, 05:05 PM

GOOD JOB, and good news!!

THAT has to be a relief!!

THANKS for the unusual results update!!