I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200GT-Slant 4 Version > "K12GT" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12GT" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

View Poll Results: At What height do you set your 06+ 'GT adjustable handlebars?
Position 1 (all the way up, or maximum height) 125 53.42%
Position 2 (1 notch below maximum) 15 6.41%
Position 3 (middle position or 2 notches below maximum) 37 15.81%
Position 4 (1 notch above minimum) 9 3.85%
Position 5 (lowest or minimum height) 48 20.51%
Voters: 234. You may not vote until 'registered'. Please go here: http://www.i-bmw.com/register.php

Old 06-14-2008, 03:28 PM
...Riding California...

What setting do you have your adjustable GT handlebars on?

Just curious. Initially I had mine set all the way up but found this to be too upright, especially coming off a gen1 GT with the more aggressive riding position. Currently mine are set in the middle position (setting 3 in this poll).
Old 06-14-2008, 09:56 PM
Go Ugly Early

Re: What setting do you have your adjustable GT handlebars on?

I started just the opposite...all the way down since I ride sportbikes and have an S. For some reason it never felt right so I'm now one notch down from middle and it's been there for about 20K miles.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:07 AM
interacting

Smile Re: What setting do you have your adjustable GT handlebars on?

The lowest position solves the "monkey butt" problem for me. Weight on my arms, not on my bottom--and it's cheaper than a new seat!
Old 06-15-2008, 10:05 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Initially had the bars in the lowest position. Not comfortable, pain in left shoulder blade area. Added the Suburban Machinery barbacks, and left the bars in the lowest position. World of difference. Shoulder pain gone.

Still like to ride without them. Handling doesn't feel quite as effortless as without the barbacks.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:05 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Middle is just right.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:58 PM
(Moderator) & Site Historian

Rod, good poll! Been wondering this myself since getting the bike. And the results so far are not what I expected. Just as many (9) with the bars all the way down as all the way up!

Mine are all the way down with the seat which is the sportier Sargent seat adjusted to the high position. But, caveat here, I'm very tall with an even taller torso. Still it does provide just enough lean to take the pressure of the small of the back and it's the most comfortable set-up even on longer trips.

Thru the twisties, having the bars down and moving forward over the bars combined with the stock (short) screen all the way down allows for the best "control" initiating and steering thru tight, fast turns. Even manage to slide off a bit using the flat sides on the Sargent seat emulating the style of riding on my K-S to a certain extent when just doing day rides in the twisties.

Miles
Old 06-16-2008, 06:53 PM
2013 Member of the Year

I came from 5 years of daily riding on a "Ja Voll! Prussian Upright!" K100 RT, so I'm quite happy with the nearly-as-upright position the GT has with bars fully extended.

No more "Vancouver.... the Blond Bimbo of Cities" for me
.... moved to Kelowna BC in the beautiful wine country of the Okanagan Valley.

- '08 K1200GT, metallic charcoal/silver
- '86 K100RT, Diamantgrau Metallic (great old girl!).
Old 06-16-2008, 07:55 PM
Site Contributor

Send a message via AIM to bonafidebob Send a message via Yahoo to bonafidebob Send a message via Skype™ to bonafidebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles_Miller
Rod, good poll! Been wondering this myself since getting the bike. And the results so far are not what I expected. Just as many (9) with the bars all the way down as all the way up!

Here's how I see it:
The guys with the bars all the way up really wanted an LT.
The guys with the bars all the way down really wanted an S.
The guys with the bars in the middle somewhere can't make up their minds.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:21 PM
2013 Member of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonafidebob
Here's how I see it:
Surely you jest! Not thig kid! I just like not having sore hands from constantly leaning forward.

No more "Vancouver.... the Blond Bimbo of Cities" for me
.... moved to Kelowna BC in the beautiful wine country of the Okanagan Valley.

- '08 K1200GT, metallic charcoal/silver
- '86 K100RT, Diamantgrau Metallic (great old girl!).
Old 06-16-2008, 10:31 PM
Getting up to speed

Mine are all the way up. I'm 5'-7". My problem is my right thumb and forefinger fall asleep? Not sure if it's from not riding for many years or my gloves are too tight. Don't have this prob with my left hand.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantroop
Mine are all the way up. I'm 5'-7". My problem is my right thumb and forefinger fall asleep? Not sure if it's from not riding for many years or my gloves are too tight. Don't have this prob with my left hand.
I have a similar problem, diagnosed as a mild carpal tunnel syndrome. The doctor specifically asked me about thumb and forefinger. Here are some tricks that help me. They don't solve the problem, but they certainly improve it. I didn't read them in a book, I just discovered them over time:

1. If your elbows are locked, keep them bent instead. Make sure your arms are relaxed on the handlebars. It will improve your riding, too. This is one of the best fixes for me.

2. Use your stomach and back muscles to hold up your body as your ride. Take the weight off your arms and wrists.

3. Use the cruise control. Give your wrist a break.

4. Grab the throttle a little forward of "normal" so that your wrist is flat at the point where the throttle is held open. Leaving your wrist cocked to hold the throttle open will make your thumb and finger fall asleep quickly.

5. As you suggested, if your gloves are tight, loosen them a little.

I hope these suggestions help. Good luck!

P.S. I don't have bar risers, but they might help, or they might worsen the problem. If they take the weight off your arms, that's good. If they cause you to cock your wrist more because the throttle is closer to your body, that's bad. I suppose that it will be combination of the two - YMMV.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:55 PM
Ray Hull

Factors that should also be considered:
Your height, seat (OEM or whatever) and other mods (pegs), age.

I started out with mine down, trying to avoid the OEM seat. I am 6'3" 35" sleeves and have Verhollen 1.25 extensions on the pegs. Once the Corbin saddle (raised one inch) arrived, I raised the bars back up to original middle position. Think I might go down one notch, as my lower back is being unnecessarily jostled by hard Corbin saddle. Leaning a bit forward may help. That would be an easier fix than trying to get Corbin to do something to make up for their lack of springs.
Ray
14 i3 REx
04 545 Sport 6 spd.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:56 AM
Just Ride It

You forgot the last option, which is Position 0 (I added bar risers to get even more height).

And just because I have bar risers and a backrest, that doesn't mean I want an(other) LT. It means I want a K12RT with this great motor, but slightly more upright ergos.
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT
'07 Dark Graphite Metallic K12GT
IBA# 366, MOA# 111996
Old 06-20-2008, 09:06 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
I have a similar problem, diagnosed as a mild carpal tunnel syndrome. The doctor specifically asked me about thumb and forefinger. Here are some tricks that help me. They don't solve the problem, but they certainly improve it. I didn't read them in a book, I just discovered them over time:

1. If your elbows are locked, keep them bent instead. Make sure your arms are relaxed on the handlebars. It will improve your riding, too. This is one of the best fixes for me.

2. Use your stomach and back muscles to hold up your body as your ride. Take the weight off your arms and wrists.

3. Use the cruise control. Give your wrist a break.

4. Grab the throttle a little forward of "normal" so that your wrist is flat at the point where the throttle is held open. Leaving your wrist cocked to hold the throttle open will make your thumb and finger fall asleep quickly.

5. As you suggested, if your gloves are tight, loosen them a little.

I hope these suggestions help. Good luck!

P.S. I don't have bar risers, but they might help, or they might worsen the problem. If they take the weight off your arms, that's good. If they cause you to cock your wrist more because the throttle is closer to your body, that's bad. I suppose that it will be combination of the two - YMMV.

Thanks for the tips. I do use the cruise control often to relieve the symptoms and also do grab the throttle a little forward as you stated. I guess I'll oil the back of my gloves to stretch them and see if that helps.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:18 PM
Entering the on-ramp

+1 on the barbacks set in the lowest position (brings the bars closer, but still have to lean in a little). Stock seat, set low, and stock short windscreen - perfect position.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:29 AM
Site Contributor

I haven't completed the poll yet. The problem is that once you do it, it won't let you change your vote later. My handlebars are at position 1 (highest), the same position as the day I rode the bike off the lot. I really want to try other handlebar positions before I cast my vote.

Every time I go out to the garage, the bike beckons to me, saying, "Wouldn't you rather be out riding, rather than hanging around to adjust handlebars? You can always adjust them another day."

It happens every time.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:01 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Here's how I see it:

Mine are low and I do want an S.

Gotta convince the wife that I 'need' both...give it time.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:15 PM
Getting up to speed

Very interesting poll results, in that there are a lot more on lower positions than I thought.

Having just completed a long haul with the bars set on the highest position, I recall several occasions moving my butt further back in the seat to create more body lean and relieve the numb feeling through my seat.

I should have adjusted the 'bars on that trip...would have been the perfect time to experiment, but each morning I was always in a rush to get back on the road.

**heads straight to the garage with tools in hand**
Old 11-02-2008, 10:39 AM
Site Contributor

Since my last post in July, I have been experimenting with the bar adjust. I keep the torx wrench in the glove box and change the handlebar position fairly often. I think I like it lower for the commutes, higher for the longer rides.

I bought a pair of used bar backs, but haven't installed them, and haven't decided whether I want to install them or sell them to someone else.

I am planning an SS1000 later this month. I don't know if I want to put the bar backs on before then, or just ride it stock. We'll see.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:27 AM
Getting up to speed

I went for a 'FarRide' yesterday (1000+kms, http://www.farriders.com/) and I lowered my 'bars to the lowest setting.

Much better all round, especially in the twisties. Glad I noticed this thread
Old 11-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Site Contributor

Cool Re: What setting do you have your adjustable GT handlebars on?

I also set my bars at the lowest position to lessen the effects of the hard seat on my butt from my original 2006 GT seat. It is also better for riding hard through the twisties especially when you keep your weight as far forward as possible. I am 6'1" and weigh 195 pounds so far this has worked out the best for me. If I had a long ride to do on mostly flat terrain I would raise the bars to the middle position.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:20 PM
(Moderator) & Site Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeaholic
I also set my bars at the lowest position to lessen the effects of the hard seat on my butt from my original 2006 GT seat. It is also better for riding hard through the twisties especially when you keep your weight as far forward as possible. I am 6'1" and weigh 195 pounds so far this has worked out the best for me. If I had a long ride to do on mostly flat terrain I would raise the bars to the middle position.

Nice to find a comrade-in-arms!! <g> This is what I wrote in June for this thread:

<<Thru the twisties, having the bars down and moving forward over the bars combined with the stock (short) screen all the way down allows for the best "control" initiating and steering thru tight, fast turns. Even manage to slide off a bit using the flat sides on the Sargent seat emulating the style of riding on my K-S to a certain extent when just doing day rides in the twisties.>>

Maybe it just the ticket for us big guys. Weight 215 - height 6'4".

Preload set to rider plus sidecases (w/o the sidecases when doing the tight twisties); and, the rebound set on "sport" which tends to raise the rear a little and help maintain that postion up and over the bars!

As time wears on with the bike, it just keeps getting better and - dare I say it - even more sporty as though it can be used as "big sportbike" for us "big" riders!

Only dif is that the bars are always on the low setting - even on the longer, straighter rides.

Thanks for your contribution - recognizing we're in the minority and this is really a touring rig!

Miles
Old 01-10-2009, 04:21 PM
Shooting the gap

I was using the highest setting on my K12GT - and then I found an additional 1" lifter. That's me. Lighter on the hands, elbows comfortable and slightly bent. I think it's because I spent $199 on the gadget and want to get my money's worth. Anyway, don't run out of arm if I start the push with my arm flexed instead of almost straight.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:15 AM
Getting up to speed

I have mine in position "HeliBars"
Old 04-07-2009, 10:55 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Since my last post in July, I have been experimenting with the bar adjust. I keep the torx wrench in the glove box and change the handlebar position fairly often. I think I like it lower for the commutes, higher for the longer rides.

I bought a pair of used bar backs, but haven't installed them, and haven't decided whether I want to install them or sell them to someone else.

I am planning an SS1000 later this month. I don't know if I want to put the bar backs on before then, or just ride it stock. We'll see.
OK, I installed the bar backs. They were great for the SaddleSore 1000. I would use them on other VERY long rides, but honestly, I don't like them for day-to-day riding. I have been too lazy to take them off, but I really prefer the stock choices and easy adjustability.

Here are my preferences:
* Commutes and twisties: Low position.
* Medium rides: High position.
* Long distance, such as IBA rides: Install the bar backs before the ride. Take 'em off when I get home.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:40 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles_Miller
Nice to find a comrade-in-arms!! <g> This is what I wrote in June for this thread:

<<Thru the twisties, having the bars down and moving forward over the bars combined with the stock (short) screen all the way down allows for the best "control" initiating and steering thru tight, fast turns. Even manage to slide off a bit using the flat sides on the Sargent seat emulating the style of riding on my K-S to a certain extent when just doing day rides in the twisties.>>

Maybe it just the ticket for us big guys. Weight 215 - height 6'4".

Preload set to rider plus sidecases (w/o the sidecases when doing the tight twisties); and, the rebound set on "sport" which tends to raise the rear a little and help maintain that postion up and over the bars!

As time wears on with the bike, it just keeps getting better and - dare I say it - even more sporty as though it can be used as "big sportbike" for us "big" riders!

Only dif is that the bars are always on the low setting - even on the longer, straighter rides.

Thanks for your contribution - recognizing we're in the minority and this is really a touring rig!

Miles
I've been comforatable riding with the bars in the position above the lowest but after hearing Miles's comments about the low positon working for tall people I am going to experiment with that. I am 6'4" with 36 inch arms. It might work for me as I look a sportier riding position.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:43 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Thumbs up Re: What setting do you have your adjustable GT handlebars on?

Quote:
OK, I installed the bar backs. They were great for the SaddleSore 1000. I would use them on other VERY long rides, but honestly, I don't like them for day-to-day riding. I have been too lazy to take them off, but I really prefer the stock choices and easy adjustability.

Here are my preferences:
* Commutes and twisties: Low position.
* Medium rides: High position.
* Long distance, such as IBA rides: Install the bar backs before the ride. Take 'em off when I get home.

Same here, I move them based on ride - just as listed... but dont have the bar backs.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:43 PM
Getting up to speed

I just came off a Goldwing and bought a used '07 KGT. The bike came with the bars set at the middle setting and I WAS totally content. Thanks for making my life more complicated.

MOA
IBA

'07 K1200GT
'01 F650GS
Old 06-18-2009, 10:03 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Here's how I see it:

This pretty much nails it for me. Have mine all the way down. And I really wanted an S. But I'm not the only consideration on this bike. Love the GT anyway!
Old 02-20-2010, 02:54 PM
Getting up to speed

Hi All

I ride My Bars set on the middle setting, I find it comfortable and sporty enough for me. I am a Fifty something rider who enjoys the sweepies and fast freeway cruising and it works. Not to much weight on the wrists but enjoyable in the sweeps at speed

noddy
Old 02-20-2010, 05:42 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Send a message via AIM to Steve Martin

Since I am about 5' 9" I run mine at the lowest position. When it was set up at the dealer it was set at the highest position. I was having pain in my upper back, until I lowered the bars.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:57 AM
(Moderator) Free spirit

Under no circumstance do I want an LT
What I really would like is an S1000RR and a K13GT.
However, due to a sweet old lady in a cage I can no longer ride the kind of R/RR/S bikes
Hence I have the bars in the highest position and, again, I can ride a bike
A bike I have come to love a lot!!!
Old 08-01-2012, 03:11 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

I have the Verholen bar riser set in the middle, which ends up being a little higher and closer than the highest stock setting. I don't like putting too much weight on my arms. In the twisties I just bend my elbows and lean forward with the windscreen down.
I have a Russell seat, which is an inch or so higher than the stock seat. I'm just a hair over 6 feet tall.

XMagna's advice is perfect. Use the cruise control. Relax your grip. I have the same issue, and it's because I unconsciously grip the throttle too tight or have my wrist cocked. In cruise, I just lay my hands across the grips and levers.
Also, if your hands are tired from supporting your weight, try squeezing the tank with your legs. It forces you to use your abdomen to support yourself. I learned that from long rides on sport bikes. Even if your hands just need a break of a few seconds, squeezing the tank seems to do the trick. (for me, anyway)

BikeAHolic...I feel your pain. I had an '06, and that seat is a damn torture device. It's different than any other year GT, and for good reason. If you're still on it, I offer my deepest sympathies.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:10 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Here's how I see it:

Hahaha!

Indeed. And plus one for setting the bars all the way down. My K bike has whipped sport bikes, including a Hyabusa. I never ever run it with the bags on and it looks as awesome as it rides. You should see the look on these kids faces when they get left by a BMW. Priceless.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:25 PM
Entering the on-ramp

got mine on the highest position and bar risers fitted aswell.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:09 AM
Getting up to speed

I have added an extender to my handlebars so mine are up an inch and back an inch from the highest stock position

B2BMILD
Old 05-22-2017, 02:38 PM
Site Contributor

In theory, I attach the handlebar and pedal extenders for long trips and remove them for local riding. In practice, I am too lazy to remove them. They stay on all the time.

Unfortunately, the brake pedal on my KGT is not adjustable. It is not nearly as comfortable to use the rear brake with the extender on. Most of the time I "stomp" the brake rather than flex my ankle into an uncomfortable position. In local riding (urban), it is not as nice as it could have been if the brake pedal were adjustable.