I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200GT-Slant 4 Version > "K12GT" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12GT" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 06-17-2015, 09:23 AM
Supporting Vendor
Thanked 2,152 Times in 832 Posts

Re: Rear wheel carrier flange recall.

Guess I should start thinking about it.. I just hit 34K....Runs perfectly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
BMW calls for checking valves and changing plugs every 18,000 miles.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:34 AM
Thanked 2,070 Times in 1,417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
Guess I should start thinking about it.. I just hit 34K....Runs perfectly...

I've changed it in 30.000 Km. (18.000 Mi) service, used plugs seemed almost new . Are iridium spark plugs, with an extreme duration
Old 06-17-2015, 11:48 AM
Getting up to speed

When I collect my bike, I'll see if I can get the plugs as well. I'll post pictures if so.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:10 PM
Getting up to speed

I completely forgot to ask for amy removed/replaced parts.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:48 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Send a message via Skype™ to Alan2502

I have a 2009 K1300GT that had the rear hub replaced due to the recall.
After receiving the letter from BMW I decided to go and have a look at the part involved to see if I could detect any visible cracks etc.
On inspection I could see nothing on the hub, but to my horror I notice a large crack on the rear disk brake rotor. On asking if BMW would replace the rotor as this was obviously a metal fatigue issue I was informed NO, But the dealer would support me if I took the matter up with BMW.
This being an Brembo part I started to look for a replacement part, only to find that brembo only sell the front rotors , the rear one must be purchased from BMW at a very unreasonable price tag of 260.
During the hub replacement I instructed the BMW dealer to fit a new rotor as the old one would have to come off anyway and there would be no labour charge.
Since the fitment all has been ok at the rear. Unfortunately last weekend the front wheel bearings collapsed meaning a recovery truck back to the dealer, Front wheel bearing failure at 27200 miles . Moral of the story , Check wheels , tyres and brakes on a regular basis.
I also have a small amount of play appearing on the rear wheel.
Would be obliged on any info on changing the rear wheel bearing.
And I think my next bike will be Japanese, They certainly seem to be far more reliable and far cheaper to run.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Disc11.jpg (126.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Disc21.jpg (122.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Disc31.jpg (137.5 KB, 19 views)
Old 08-18-2015, 10:51 AM
Thanked 2,070 Times in 1,417 Posts

Hi Alan, welcome

Sorry about your problems, are really weird in a 27 K Mi bike.
- Disc: first time I see a cracked disk. I think there are 2 possible reasons, Overheating (panic stop, bad distribution of the linked brakes) , or in some moment has worked without sinterized in pads. Look also here http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=52445&page=3 post #131

- Front bearings: Weird too, as you can search in our tech forum, I this could be broken seals due a bad tyre change. If both seals are Ok, is almost impossible the bearings lose grease (first reason for bearings fail).

Rear disk and front bearing systems are the same in all bikes, could happen in japanese bikes too
Old 08-18-2015, 11:28 AM
interacting

I echo Bernardo's thoughts. I had a front wheel bearing fail on me at about 25K, but it was entirely due to the fact that I snugged the front wheel axle down WAY too tight after a tire change. Care must be taken not to do this. They should last for 100K or more if not over-tightened. As far as your cracked rotor--first time I've ever heard of that happening. My '07 has over 80K on it and the rotors are still very good. My friends C-10 Kawasaki has had two sets of fronts and one rear in the same time frame.****************MdMn*******
Old 08-18-2015, 12:25 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Send a message via Skype™ to Alan2502

Use the BMW dealer in Glasgow , they changed both tyres last year and carried out the hub recall, actually was not so happy with them and have now put the bike to BMW Edinburgh.
Rear pads were original (Brembo) very little emergency braking . No-one I know has ever seen a disk cracked like this, looks like it started from the hole and worked outwards, would have been a disaster if the disc shattered as I normally am fully loaded with the misses on board
Old 08-18-2015, 07:10 PM
Site Contributor

Send a message via MSN to loubre

Hi Alan, firstly welcome, next in over 40 years of riding I have never seen a disc crack like that, I have seen cracked discs but that was back in the bad old days when we drilled our own (before drilled disc days) and if you weren't careful you could overheat that small area near the hole and get cracks, also in all my bikes I only ever had one front wheel bearing failure (catastrophic failure - 5 months in a hospital bed) but that was shown to be from over tensioning the axle after a wheel change aaand possibly too many wheel stands. Even on my jap bikes I could get at least 45 to 50,000kms from discs, front and rear wheel bearings were usually checked every tyre change, only ever changed out one set on a CB750F2 at about the 135,000km mark, seems very strange, I'd be haveing serious words with BMW and/or Brembo over the disc, bearing also maybe!
FarRider #912
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200RT
2013 F800R - GONE
2013 K1600GT Montego Blue - GONE
2012 K1300R SE Satin Black - GONE
To be old and wise you must first have been young and stupid!