I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200GT-Slant 4 Version > "K12GT" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12GT" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 03-28-2016, 11:28 PM
Entering the on-ramp

2008 k12GT brake bleeding question

I'm a newbie so forgive the fopahs in posting etiquette. I want to change the fluid in my front and rear brakes. There are some great write ups and explanations for pre 2006 k12s but I haven't found any for 2006 and beyond.
My reprom (v5 2010) has a good explanation but the diagrams don't show my IABS controller which has no reservoirs or bleeders on the unit. Link below shows a pic of my controller compared to the RepRom controller.

http://imgur.com/a/GT0NV

Given all the posts I've read about problems with the ABS on these bikes, i'm a little intimidated...

My question is: Can I bleed these brakes using my trusty mighty vac just as i bleed the ABS brakes on my Volvo wagon? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:00 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,580 Times in 1,210 Posts

Re: 2008 k12GT brake bleeding question

Bleed your brakes as you normally would. If you have a GS-911 it actuates the ABS and moves older fluid in there around, then you bleed again if you use it to help with bleeding. If you don't have one I suspect you could apply your brakes on a dirt road, induce ABS function, and then bleed again. There are no bleed points on the ABS unit nor are there reservoirs (wheel circuits).
S1000R
I need a Honda sport or better yet a Monkey
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:17 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech
Bleed your brakes as you normally would. If you have a GS-911 it actuates the ABS and moves older fluid in there around, then you bleed again if you use it to help with bleeding. If you don't have one I suspect you could apply your brakes on a dirt road, induce ABS function, and then bleed again. There are no bleed points on the ABS unit nor are there reservoirs (wheel circuits).

Beech is correct - I just pulled my ABS Module and of course no 'definitive' process in RepRom in brake bleed or removal of the pump.... I used a brake bleed suction unit and I know guys that like speed bleeders that have a ball check in the nipple... Others use bleed bags - and a simple clear plastic hose in a water bottle with a bit of brake fluid works too..

Ultimately, I performed the steps below to bleed - haven't got the ABS pump back yet, but will follow these steps till no air in line.... As Beech says, you can activate the ABS by doing some hard practice braking to cycle the pump - then do a quick bleed again -- if don't have a GS911...

Steps:
- Siphon old fluid from brake fluid reservoir with syringe
- Fill fluid reservoir with fresh Dot4 fluid
- Bleed front caliper nearest hand brake lever - pump hold lever & bleed until clean fluid is observed -
- Fill fluid reservoir with fresh Dot4 fluid
- Bleed opposite side front brake - pump lever & bleed till clear
- Fill fluid reservoir with fresh Dot4 fluid.

Rear is the same - brake fluid reservoir under passenger seat....

Hope that helps....

-Stephen
Old 03-29-2016, 09:09 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Awesome...Thanks all, very much for your common sense direction. I've bled a lot of car/truck and motorcycle brakes but I had a "ruh roh" moment when the "factory directions" didn't match ground truth (my bike!). Thanks again.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:51 AM
2013 Member of the Year

Having just finished fixing my i-ABS2 system (the usual motor brush sticking problem) which entailed partial disassembly of the ABS system, I can verify that bleeding the system in the "normal" way is all that is needed. I did use the routine on my GS-911 to flush out old fluid from the ABS passages, but this made no difference to the operation of the system.

One thing that is important... if you use a vacuum bleeder, then you must finish it off with manual bleeding. Vacuum bleeders leave a small amount of air next to the bleeder screw.

No more "Vancouver.... the Blond Bimbo of Cities" for me
.... moved to Kelowna BC in the beautiful wine country of the Okanagan Valley.

- '08 K1200GT, metallic charcoal/silver
- '86 K100RT, Diamantgrau Metallic (great old girl!).
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'RFW' for this post:
Old 03-30-2016, 01:56 PM
Getting up to speed

Thanks RFW - good to know, the brake vacuum tool is nice - but not at all necessary.... IMO.