I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300GT > "K13GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13GT" Technical Q&A K1300GT- Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 06-28-2016, 12:55 PM
Getting up to speed

Overheating.

Had a run out last week. Got stuck in traffic on the way back. Bike temp gauge went up to max - despite the fan kicking in. Got the red warning triangle - so stopped bike and waited for it to cool down.
Whipped the fairing off today and it looks like the rad is suspect. Loads of road gunk in it and a a palm sized area looks to have collapsed.
Have advised the dealer I bought it from and they have booked it in for a look. Hope it'll be covered under warranty - but I don't know if corrosion / wear and tear will be covered.
Any advise if it isn't?
I've coated the rad - front and back - with bike cleaner. I'm going to leave it to soak in overnight and attempt to wash out the crud with a garden hose tomorrow.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:11 PM
Thanked 2,070 Times in 1,417 Posts

Re: Overheating.

Hi Paul

Usually our engines have no problems with overheat or cooling obstruction. I'm sure you use OEM coolant...

There are few problems but usually are little and imprceptible leaks. these leaks are almost impossible to detect at single sight. something like this:
- the engine warms and pressurizes the cooling system.
- with pressure, if it's a little crack or hole , the coolant drips out there,
- when the engine is cold there are vacuum then the air enters by that hole and the system is no more purged.
- With air in the system the engine works bad and finally there are overheating and coolant overflows.

so...

- Check the coolant level,
- look carefully any little stain or soil. not necessarily liquid,
- Change coolant and purge the cooling system with a vacuum tool.

I hope this helps you
Old 06-29-2016, 03:37 AM
Getting up to speed

Thanks for the pointers Bernardo.

I think the culprit is the amount of gunk in the rad itself. After an initial clean and rinse with a garden hose, it's looking much better. There should be much better air flow after I've finished.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Paulvt1' for this post:
Old 06-29-2016, 10:25 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,579 Times in 1,210 Posts

The fins and passages are so fine they do collect a lot of crap. If your area uses odd winter de icing chemicals they tend to add to the mess. The radiator is a non listed maintenance item in my book. And to do a really good job you have to remove it. Your shop will probably tell you that a new one is needed rather than spend the hours needed to clean it out of the bike.
S1000R
I need a Honda sport or better yet a Monkey
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:11 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardo
Hi Paul

Usually our engines have no problems with overheat or cooling obstruction. I'm sure you use OEM coolant...

There are few problems but usually are little and imprceptible leaks. these leaks are almost impossible to detect at single sight. something like this:
- the engine warms and pressurizes the cooling system.
- with pressure, if it's a little crack or hole , the coolant drips out there,
- when the engine is cold there are vacuum then the air enters by that hole and the system is no more purged.
- With air in the system the engine works bad and finally there are overheating and coolant overflows.

so...

- Check the coolant level,
- look carefully any little stain or soil. not necessarily liquid,
- Change coolant and purge the cooling system with a vacuum tool.

I hope this helps you

Hum...not exactly Bernardo...(at least for the slant 4s, which I think your'e refering to).
Many Ks, including my previous 08 K1200GT, had a new radiator. And I'm not talking about all the BS my dealer told me in order to justify a 3 week stay at their shop...
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'OILHEAD' for this post:
Old 06-30-2016, 11:53 AM
Thanked 2,070 Times in 1,417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILHEAD
Hum...not exactly Bernardo...(at least for the slant 4s, which I think your'e refering to).

Not at some model or brand, this sequence happens with all pressurized cooling systems
Old 06-30-2016, 12:25 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1
Thanks for the pointers Bernardo.

I think the culprit is the amount of gunk in the rad itself. After an initial clean and rinse with a garden hose, it's looking much better. There should be much better air flow after I've finished.

I've had a friend with a K1300S complain of a dirty radiator (on the outside) and overheating, and having to clean the "gunk" off. I agree that cleaning the outside of the radiator is a "non-listed" maintenance item. Any time I have the fairing around the radiator off the bike I take the opportunity to clean both sides as well as I can with a jet stream from the garden hose, and cleaning the front with a jet stream is part of every bike wash.

2013 BMW K1300S "30 Years"
1995 BMW R1100RS
1988 BMW K75S
1997 Ducati 916 Monoposto
1995 Ducati 900SS CR
Old 06-30-2016, 01:22 PM
Getting up to speed

I might have solved the issue. After a good 3 days of soaking and rinsing, I've put the fan back on and run the bike up to temp. The fan kicks in and holds the temp gauge steady at the mid point.
I still have to put the fairing panels back on and give it a road test though...
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Paulvt1' for this post:
Old 07-04-2016, 10:59 AM
Getting up to speed

Had a good run out today. Fast roads and urban heavy traffic. The bike ran like a dream.

I think we are starting to bond now.

Time to start looking at some goodies for it..
Old 07-04-2016, 11:27 AM
Site Contributor

From what I've read over the years you folks over there have some pretty cruddy road in the winters. In addition the roads are peppered with salt which leads to corrosion of painted and suspension parts. Guess cleaning and washing off that stuff is part of your maintenance. I wouldn't pressure wash the radiator from the front which just forces the crud further in. I'd find some way of pressure washing from the back/ engine side.
2005 Ducati 999-The I-talian Mistress-sold but missed
2004 KGT, Gen 1, Orient Blue
Old 07-04-2016, 04:38 PM
Shooting the gap

I use a low power battery powered jet wash from behind the rads on my bike. If your bike has red or yellow coolant from Germany it should have a UV dye in it. Put your bike in the dark, and shine black light over the cooling system, this is easier than a system pressure check.