I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200GT-Slant 4 Version > "K12GT" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12GT" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 11-08-2016, 03:54 PM
Entering the on-ramp

K1200gt

About to buy a 2007 bmw k1200 gt with 39000 miles and no service history. The bike seems to ride great. Selling my Ducati hypermotard Super awesome bike just looking for something that will be more comfortable on longer trips. First time posting so bear with me. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated
Old 11-08-2016, 03:58 PM
Supporting Vendor
Thanked 2,157 Times in 836 Posts

Re: K1200gt

Welcome to the collective! You should try to attend one of the I-BMW rallies next year... Congrats on the new ride....
Old 11-08-2016, 04:07 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 7,180 Times in 2,931 Posts

Welcome to the site, take a look at this "tech" forum, for lots of information about your choice of bikes, http://www.i-bmw.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36
Old 11-08-2016, 04:07 PM
Entering the on-ramp

2007 k1200gt thinking about buying

Haven't bought it yet. I've had bmw s in the past and loved them. I know the common problems but 4300 is a really good price. There are not many for sale
Old 11-08-2016, 06:56 PM
interacting

I have an '07 K1200GT. It is a great bike. Having no service history is problematic. There are a number of critical issues that have been fixed by ECU updates. There are two areas of concern that are not computer related. When my bike had about 30K miles on it the cam chain got really loose. This was due to a poorly designed cam chain tensioner. This was a $600 fix to upgrade to the '08 tensioning system and also put the cam chain "jump shield" in. This prevents a loose jumped cam chain from totaling the top end of the engine. If the cam chain is loose you will be able to hear it. It sounds like a steel bucket of nails being rattled. Makes an ungodly racket on start-up. The other critical area is the ABS pump. It is a known issue that all '07's were shipped with faulty ABS pump modules. This is no joke, It's an $1800-$2200 fix from BMW. Getting the module rebuilt aftermarket can cost $300-$500. Once I fixed these two things and had all the airbox and ECU updates the bike has been great. That i why I say no service history is problematic. You may be looking at another $2400-$2600 to get these upgrades. A certified BMW shop can read the ECU computer and determine which computer updates have been applied.***MdMn**
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'mudman' for this post:
Old 11-08-2016, 07:29 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Thanks for your reply. I can do the work myself. About a 1000 mile trip to get it home. That's my biggest worry. I had an 02 and loved it no issues at all. Pretty much if I can get it home I can do everything needed. Getting it home is a different story however I figure athat 39000 miles problems have alreadybeen taken care of. If the previousowner is like most bimmer owners then all good. Odds are in my favor with a little faith
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Benfe1' for this post:
Old 11-08-2016, 10:15 PM
Getting up to speed

First of all, welcome to the forum! Now, since you asked, listen to the advice of Mudman. This model has a storied history and speaking from experience, you really do need to find out as much as you can about the previous history. Try to run the VIN in order to determine this. Also have a dealer look into this for you in order to determine what, if any, recalls/services have been performed. The bike can be a good one, but knowledge is genuinely power in this example.

Good hunting!

Ken
Old 11-09-2016, 10:51 AM
Go Ugly Early

I had an 06 GT...worst bike I ever owned!

Old 11-09-2016, 11:03 AM
interacting

Yes, the '06's were notoriously bad. From the seat to the brakes to the electronics. That is why I waited until '07 to buy mine. I should have waited one more year. The '08's were much more "sorted out".*****************************************************Md Mn******
Old 11-16-2016, 05:32 PM
Getting up to speed

No need to present such a bleak picture AFAIC.

With no service history immediately available you will need to inquire at your local dealership whether there are any outstanding recall items not taken care of on the bike in question. The cam chain follower is one of the assorted recalls on the 07 K12gt. Whatever recalls haven't been performed will be done free of charge by any dealership. There is no time limit on a factory recall.

It has been my experience that the 07 K12gt is a great bike with few issues. I would agree that one with 39K miles should be sorted out by now. Just because a few have had issues doesn't mean the bike in question will.
1996 BMW r1100rs (sold)
Old 11-16-2016, 06:09 PM
interacting

I very much like my K1200GT '07 version. And it IS a great bike. However I would hardly call almost $3000 in further work over the almost $25K I paid for the bike "few issues". All the problems with the cam chain system and the ABS started AFTER the bike already had about 35K miles on it, so it would be premature to say that one with 39K on it "should be sorted out" by now. They should have been sorted out when they were purchased, but unfortunately they were not. I was simply giving the perspective owner a realistic idea about what to expect, if the work had not already been done, and since he did not have the service history there is no way of telling short of dealer records on the VIN #, and analysis of the ECU firmware if that were the case. Just being realistic, my friend, which is what the guy requested.*****MdMn*
Old 11-16-2016, 06:47 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudman
I very much like my K1200GT '07 version. And it IS a great bike. However I would hardly call almost $3000 in further work over the almost $25K I paid for the bike "few issues". All the problems with the cam chain system and the ABS started AFTER the bike already had about 35K miles on it, so it would be premature to say that one with 39K on it "should be sorted out" by now. They should have been sorted out when they were purchased, but unfortunately they were not. I was simply giving the perspective owner a realistic idea about what to expect, if the work had not already been done, and since he did not have the service history there is no way of telling short of dealer records on the VIN #, and analysis of the ECU firmware if that were the case. Just being realistic, my friend, which is what the guy requested.*****MdMn*

Sorry you got a "lemon" mudman. I'm presenting the view from my perspective which is obviously different than yours.

My '07 gt has been wonderfully drama-free since I got it. I experienced the ABS pump failure at 19K miles, but that has been the one and only issue, and that happened in 2014. I bought the bike used for $6800 in June '14 with 19K miles, with the "brake failure" light on. It didn't bother me to spend another $1800 for the pump replacement, and I got a 3 year warranty for the new pump to boot. Two years and almost 20k miles later, nothing has gone wrong beyond the normally replaced items like tires and brake pads. So I would say my bike was sorted at 19K. All recalls have been addressed. Great bike
1996 BMW r1100rs (sold)
Old 11-16-2016, 07:00 PM
interacting

I would hardly call my bike a lemon. To you everything seems to be black or white. As I said in my post, "I like the bike, and it IS great". If you want stories about lemons I suggest you investigate the many threads on this web-site that truly describe horror stories about this bike. I have been participating on this site in the 2nd gen K1200GT forum since 2006. Since the bikes first came out. You are a relative newcomer. I suggest you educate yourself as to the "storied history" of this bike. Compared to some of the stories I have read about the '06-'07 K1200GT, my bike has been amazingly trouble free. I do not have a lemon, I have made lemonade.*************************************************** *******MdMn****
Old 11-16-2016, 07:17 PM
Getting up to speed

I bought an 04 cheap this summer, but with no service history. Just spent $2300 at the dealer having everything gone through and put right. No regrets, but be prepared. Best bike I've ever ridden.
Old 11-16-2016, 07:27 PM
interacting

I assume you are talking about the "flopped 4 flying brick" 1st generation K1200GT since it is an '04, and the 2nd gen K1200GT's didn't come out until late '05. You are right. It is a great bike. I had an '02 K1200RS, which is basically the same as the '04 K1200GT minus a few farkles. I loved that bike. It was solid as a rock. Never gave me anything to complain about. Traded it in on my '07 K1200GT.*************************************MdMn****
Old 11-16-2016, 08:42 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudman
I would hardly call my bike a lemon. To you everything seems to be black or white. As I said in my post, "I like the bike, and it IS great". If you want stories about lemons I suggest you investigate the many threads on this web-site that truly describe horror stories about this bike. I have been participating on this site in the 2nd gen K1200GT forum since 2006. Since the bikes first came out. You are a relative newcomer. I suggest you educate yourself as to the "storied history" of this bike. Compared to some of the stories I have read about the '06-'07 K1200GT, my bike has been amazingly trouble free. I do not have a lemon, I have made lemonade.*************************************************** *******MdMn****

LOL, ok. Sorry I called your bike a lemon. But it did sound like you were complaining about having to spend another $3K on top of the brand new price OTD. I don't see things in 'black and white' I see them IMO. So is it ok with you if my opinion isn't falling in agreement with yours, or am I too new here to count?
1996 BMW r1100rs (sold)
Old 11-16-2016, 08:48 PM
Getting up to speed

Ok, the OP questioned the history/reliability of an 07 K12GT. Like Mudman, I too owned one. One of the 12 total BMWs I've had and yes, this was without a doubt THE most problematic of the entire bunch. Switchgear failures, gas gauge sending unit failure, heated seat failure, and ABS pump failure are but a few of the long list of maladies incurred and ALL OF THEM and MORE happened before...wait for it...2500 miles!! Now does 39,000 miles on the bike mean that there will be no issues? With no maintenance history it's impossible to tell, but, as others here, I can attest to the downside of this particular model. It is probably better that we inform a newer member of any issues we have experienced as opposed to painting an overly rosy picture----brand loyalty aside.
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'MoRider' for this post:
Old 11-16-2016, 09:07 PM
interacting

Hey there Mo Rider, I couldn't have said it better, although I tried. Good job.

As for MD4Stone. Of course your views matter. Just don't put words in my mouth. Look at Mo Riders post. This will give you some idea of the history of this bike. There are people who have parked these bikes, and run screaming from them. I hung in there, and eventually got it sorted out.******************************************************** *MdMn***
Old 11-16-2016, 09:07 PM
interacting

Hey there Mo Rider, I couldn't have said it better, although I tried. Good job.

As for MD4Stone. Of course your views matter. Just don't put words in my mouth. Look at Mo Riders post. This will give you some idea of the history of this bike. There are people who have parked these bikes, and run screaming from them. I hung in there, and eventually got it sorted out.******************************************************** *MdMn***
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'mudman' for this post:
Old 11-17-2016, 01:37 AM
Getting up to speed

I think you guys are missing an important point: the bike the OP wants to buy isn't new and it has had plenty of time for any bugs to be worked out. The price of the bike he wants to buy is $4200. On top of that he can do his own wrenching. So come on, let's get real... is he about to make a BIG MISTAKE????

I'm well aware of the rep that the first transverse 4 that BMW built having bugs, and also that it is uncommon amongst the brand. If you bought this model new you are undoubtably going to be a lot more unhappy than those of us buying the bike used.

Did you not pick that up when I said I bought the bike USED and paid 1/4 of the new price? That made the outlay for the ABS pump no biggy (which BTW I could have left as-is since it just meant that the bike has standard non-ABS brakes with a bad pump), because the bottom line is that I got a fantastic motorcycle with basically low miles for a fraction of what, at least to me, it is worth. The 06-08 K1200gt has got to be one of the best values available in the used market.

I will agree with you that it isn't the best model BMW built. I don't agree with the idea that buying one is something to avoid in the used bike market.

To you guys that paid full price for your 06-08 gt...I feel your pain. I get it that you aren't happy campers. So sell your bike to guys like me and Benfe1. We will buy them all day long for pennies on the dollar and be happy as pigs in s--t about it.

Benfe1: go for it. How awesome are the 4 cylinder versions of the K1600gt? After test riding the 6 cylinder K I just can't see trading up for one until the used price is around $10K. I understand the market you are in, I don't buy new motorcycles either
1996 BMW r1100rs (sold)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'md4stone' for this post:
Old 12-10-2016, 08:41 AM
Getting up to speed

I have the same bike and I like it, very comfortable. It's like driving a 67 Caddie. It's also very fast. You can find yourself doing 90 if you don't pay attention.
Mine came with no service history but Max BMW had the service history in their computer. There are active recalls for the cam tensioner and a rear wheel flange so those repair will not cost you,

B2BMILD
Old 12-10-2016, 04:43 PM
Go Ugly Early

No "guarantees with anything mechanical. But...play the odds: Buy a bike type that has a marginal/poor history OR buy a bike type that has a relative troublefree pedigre. I know which way I'd look!