I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300GT > "K13GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13GT" Technical Q&A K1300GT- Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 05-02-2017, 11:53 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Thumbs down CHECKING VALVES / CHANGING PLUGS 53K MILES

I had the valves checked and plugs replaced at 18k miles and the valve setting was perfect. I am now at 53K miles and read and was told the K motors just run fine and do not need the valves set for many more miles 75k plus. I will be taking the bike on a long trip out of the country and I wish there was a survey that would give me an idea how long I really can wait before the plugs need replacing and valves need adjusting. Advice please.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:30 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Re: CHECKING VALVES / CHANGING PLUGS 53K MILES

Use the Search function. 60K miles seems to the the big checkup (RTFM), it could be spendy depending on whether you have access to a GS-911 or other code reader before you might take it in for that service, and can eliminate some elements the dealer would otherwise perform.

See post 4 in http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=60162&highlight=valves+check[/url]

and all of http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?...ht=valve+check
Old 05-03-2017, 10:17 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,599 Times in 1,223 Posts

First valve adjustment needed on my K13S, 52,000 miles.
S1000R
I need a Honda sport or better yet a Monkey
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:23 PM
Site Contributor

There is only one way to know just what the valve clearances are and that involves a lot of work. No way around it. Not checking them leaves you in the dark. Also, motorcycle engines are harder on the spark plugs than cars. You've put on a lot of miles since the last check. If it were my bike, I would have the service done and take the "worry" out of the picture!

Jim
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'jpel' for this post:
Old 05-03-2017, 11:28 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Sympathies to jpel but! Beech, inquiring minds gotta know: How did you determine that it wasn't until 52,000 that you bike "needed" valve adjustment? Maybe only that you took the bike in at other mileages and the valves were okay until the 52k checkup?

Valve adjustment interval is something I'm thinking about, though I have time and my valves aren't making undue noise - I don't think! A little knowledge may be a dangerous thing, but not having such could be worse.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:09 AM

I checked them at 18 and 36,000 miles. At the 52 a couple needed help. Just saying how long it took before they needed adjustment.
S1000R
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:26 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Thanks Beech.

As an experienced person, on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being professionals only, how would you rate this job? And how bad if it happens that nothing needs adjusting?

Admit I haven't looked, but is there a DIY somewhere that goes through this process? Surely it starts with taking off all the tupperware, then...
Old 05-04-2017, 01:49 AM

It is 4 hours and a vacuum device for the radiator refill. If you're used to working on cars and bikes past the oil change level it is good to go. But you really need to purchase the BMW OEM DVD for the details. I print out any operation I can't remember and then some so I can and use them in the shop. The print out for the valve job is about 30 sheets long. It does include all the separate operations needed to do the job. BMW manual will say "core operation" inspect valves for maintenance, and on that first page will be bullets for 8 other jobs that have to be done first to get there. Then at the end, all the jobs to close it up. So it is comprehensive. So I print each of those steps so I won't leave anything out and have all the details like torques etc..Now if you need to make adjustments it is an additional 2 or 3 hours. You have to remove the water pump, remove the cam shafts (consumables here of course) and change out shims with ones you calculate to do the job. Dealer charges about $600 for this. Parts are about $150 if you replace all the rubber seals and orings including a new cover gasket. Cover gaskets can be re used several times if you peal off the silicone RTV in the sharp corners and apply new stuff. There are two semi circles in the gasket that the 4 inside and outside corners need a dab of non O2 sensor RTV to seal them. The water pump has a "mud seal" that is really a gasket that goes between it and the bike. It is about $50 but you can get away using it again. Buy some Red Rubber Grease for this seal and orings as needed. It is a handy thing to have in the shop. I break it down into two days work, day one take it all apart and measure. If okay back together. If not, day two do the adjustment...remove waterpump and cams, adjustment. and then back together. That way there is no rush and I can enjoy it. I always go on high alert when it comes to removing cam chains and cams. Also a good time to put an Oring kit in the chain tensioner. I deserves one every three or four years. At 72,000 miles I changed my cam chain and cam sprockets but I think it was a waste of money. Maybe better at higher miles. But, a European fellow said it was on the maintenance list over there. I also notice a couple of lobes on the camshafts had some small pits going and I wanted to deal with that so I figured a good time for chain and gears too.
So if you like a bit of a challenge and willing to buy the DVD I'd say go for it. It is not the kind of job that many shortcuts should be used.
And the Factory has access to half sized hemi shims so you will run across shims that do not match the list at MAC BMW Parts. I used to maintain a couple of other K bikes and have a box of various shims but they work on the R bikes from 10-12 so I use them there also. I figure in 30 years when I'm long gone they will be valuable.
This is the best feeler gauge set I have ever found. (except for the go no go ones with the plastic handles for some jobs)
http://www.bmwmotorcycleaccessories....R-21072110.htm
Hornig sells this too but they are in Europe. I used to have a vacuum tool listing in my stuff but can't find it now. But there are many out there and if you search this subject for threads some are mentioned there. I see some for about $80. I have the bmw one and let me tell you it was not 80 bucks. You need to pull more than 25" and hold it while you release the coolant from an overhead holding jug hooked up to this contraption then bleed the water pump nipple and a black plastic screw in the thermostat hose area after you release the vacuum but still have the fluid in the jug hooked up to the radiator so it can drain in on its own. The manual covers it all.
S1000R
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post: