I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200RS/GT > "KRS/GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"KRS/GT" Technical Q&A K1200RS/GT Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 09-06-2007, 05:10 AM
Can assemble bike blindfolded

KRS Pods: 'Fixed' forever!!

I wonder sometimes about the myth of BMW engineering excellence when I meet something like the fixing arrangements for the earlier KRS signal indicator pods.

Anybody whose had their plastics off a few times knows that the 'basket fixings' are awful. They are difficult to align, the fingers break off, the pods vibrate, the repair cost involves a new oem back plate and rivets need drilling to repair the corner basket.

Well at last I've found a fix. It's untried at triple digits, but I have every confidence the pods will stay on the bike.

Each pod is fixed to the front frame with 3 spring baskets rivetted to the ABS pod backplate which align with 3 steel tapered and grooved pegs screwed into the front frame plate (M5). These pegs, although a bit stiff, can be easily removed with a hex driver from the key hole in the center. The spacing distance between the ABS backplate and steel frame surface is 14-15mm.

I bought 6 rare earth Neodymium magnets for around $40. They each have a spec. pull of 7.5 Kg (16.5lb) so that makes 22.5 Kg (49.6lb) per pod. The part number is F431N 20mm dia x 10mm thick with 5.2 c/sink. I checked one magnet pull with a spring balance and it was 8Kg. The pods are not directly in the frontal airstream, being partly protected by the front tupperware. If you try this and are apprehensive, fit a safety tiewrap behind the pod to the frame.

Magnets are strong in pull but weak in friction so you must prevent the mated magnet moving against the steel frame. I did this by shaping a 5mm long centralising spigot on the magnet holding screw. If you have a lathe you could do a really pro job.

The only real work is with a bench or angle grinder (caution watch pinkeys!). The parts are A2 stainless steel. I took a couple of M5 nuts (one is a backnut for holding), threaded them on a 50mm long bolt then ground a 45 degree chamfer on the nut. When finished the nuts must rest in the magnet countersink hole flat or just below the surface. The 5mm end of the magnet fixing screw was reduced and rounded so it would pass through the 5mm tapped holes in the frame. During assembly the taper nut and backnuts were Loctited. The 4mm thick rubber backing washer provides the correct overall spacing and some vibration damping.

I shall be doing some 'testing' over the next few days, but I'm optimistic that at last of got rid of those awful BMW baskets.

CAUTION: I kid you not these magnets are VERY strong. 2 magnets will attract and jump together when 7" apart! In this event, the shock or dropping on to a hard surface can chip or crack them. keep them away from metal or filings, they will find anything and stick hard.

You can find Neodymium magnets on Ebay or your local supplier. I've used these 2 sources:

In case anybody is thinking about 3M dual locks, they have a good friction pull strength but only a pound or so to separate them.

www.first4magnets.com
www.e-magnetsUK.com

Vox
Old 09-06-2007, 07:43 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Re: KRS Pods: 'Fixed' forever!!

Excellent solution Vox! I had been planning to do something similar as several of my spring clips have broken off. I will probably just copy your design.

I am planning to fit some driving lights on a bracket sandwiched between the pod and the frame, so I will add a 1/8" spacer under the magnets to give me clearance.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskene
Excellent solution Vox! I had been planning to do something similar as several of my spring clips have broken off. I will probably just copy your design.

I am planning to fit some driving lights on a bracket sandwiched between the pod and the frame, so I will add a 1/8" spacer under the magnets to give me clearance.

I just fitted a pair of driving lights and I tore my hair out over it. My lights were 4" round with the lead out at the bottom. My intention was to go for under oil cooler mounting. I had 4 failed attempts at different brackets. I've never seen PIAA's but they must be smaller. On the lift and stand everything looked hunky, then on the sidestand and loaded with a tank full of gas and bags the damn things were touching either the front fender or the fork tubes on full lock. Eventually I had to get radical. Took away the oil cooler shroud and raised the cooler 10mm. I've now got the lock to lock clearance (tested with concrete blocks on the tank), but it was hard wone.

Whilst I was in the middle of this fiasco, I looked at the pods as I've done (and repaired) many times. I reckoned if you increased the clearance you could bolt on a nice under pod hanger with the right bracket. There's probably only 2 surfaces you could bolt a bracket to and it needs to be stiff with a rolled double bend. I reckon the pods have an upwards angle of 12 deg. so allow enough clearance for a high or low aim. My lights were gray with polished stainless mounts and I thought on balance they needed to be black to go outboard under the pods. If I was into ABS moulding, I'd say a nice contoured housing would really look part of the bike. Nice spot though, without all the mounting and clearance issues I had, you just need to increase the rubber spacer thickness. There is a 20mmX15mm (stronger) magnet, but the centre hole doesn't go all the way through.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:51 AM
Moderator; ON-ON

Send a message via Skype™ to chilei

WOW VOX... this is really cool and ingenious!

Thanks!
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?"
Old 09-06-2007, 08:54 AM
(Moderator) " Shithead of the Year "

Sounds great
01 Checker for sale

" Somewhere in all this Horseshit ...... there got to be a pony ...... trust me "
Old 09-06-2007, 09:36 AM
Supporting Vendor
Thanked 2,058 Times in 795 Posts

Let us know how road testing goes... Very "out-of-the-box" thinking... Sounds like a great idea...
Old 09-06-2007, 11:08 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
If you have a lathe you could do a really pro job.

You could do your bolt/nut mods with a drill if you don't have a lathe. Just chuck the bolt into the drill and go to town. You could "jamnut" your nuts on the bolt for grinding/filing.

Nice work!

Let us know how it works out.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:42 AM

I jamnutted the nut on a 50mm bolt to grind it. A2 stainless is a bit hard and progress might be slower in the drill across such a small size nut. I'm sure somebody will try it out or use a Dremmel. Somebody might even make that sort of fastening to fit the countersink.

I've got a longish ride coming up next week, so far the pods have survived speed humps at 30mph. 3 X 7.5 kilos is a lot of force and any shear forces parallel to the backplate will be acting on the tapered pegs. I'm not expecting the pods to stay on in a tipover or contact in a narrow lane, but then the baskets probably wouldn't hold anyway. The right length of tywrap which allows the pod to fall and hang is probably best, rather than rely on the cable and connector.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Shooting the gap

Nice solution! When I had my KRS, the best tip I ever got off this forum was that you do not have to remove the pods to remove the side fairing. It does not block access to any of the screws and the side fairing will slip out.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:43 PM

My side fairings have never slipped out as easy as I'd like. They need a tug in the right place to free the grommet just rear of the tank, and some upwards push and tug to get the pegs clear of the center tank section. Perhaps I was just unlucky, but the first time I tried pulling the side fairings off with the pods in situ, the spring basket broke. If you need the front fairing section off or drop it down, you must remove the pods to take out the M5 screws in the top corner.

Then, changing headlight bulbs and replacing lamps in the instrument cluster is a 'pods off' job if you want the less acrobatic easy way.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:35 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Vox

This is one fix that I want to do. Given you did this some time ago, if you were to do it again would you do anything different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
I wonder sometimes about the myth of BMW engineering excellence when I meet something like the fixing arrangements for the earlier KRS signal indicator pods.

Anybody whose had their plastics off a few times knows that the 'basket fixings' are awful. They are difficult to align, the fingers break off, the pods vibrate, the repair cost involves a new oem back plate and rivets need drilling to repair the corner basket.

Well at last I've found a fix. It's untried at triple digits, but I have every confidence the pods will stay on the bike.

Each pod is fixed to the front frame with 3 spring baskets rivetted to the ABS pod backplate which align with 3 steel tapered and grooved pegs screwed into the front frame plate (M5). These pegs, although a bit stiff, can be easily removed with a hex driver from the key hole in the center. The spacing distance between the ABS backplate and steel frame surface is 14-15mm.

I bought 6 rare earth Neodymium magnets for around $40. They each have a spec. pull of 7.5 Kg (16.5lb) so that makes 22.5 Kg (49.6lb) per pod. The part number is F431N 20mm dia x 10mm thick with 5.2 c/sink. I checked one magnet pull with a spring balance and it was 8Kg. The pods are not directly in the frontal airstream, being partly protected by the front tupperware. If you try this and are apprehensive, fit a safety tiewrap behind the pod to the frame.

Magnets are strong in pull but weak in friction so you must prevent the mated magnet moving against the steel frame. I did this by shaping a 5mm long centralising spigot on the magnet holding screw. If you have a lathe you could do a really pro job.

The only real work is with a bench or angle grinder (caution watch pinkeys!). The parts are A2 stainless steel. I took a couple of M5 nuts (one is a backnut for holding), threaded them on a 50mm long bolt then ground a 45 degree chamfer on the nut. When finished the nuts must rest in the magnet countersink hole flat or just below the surface. The 5mm end of the magnet fixing screw was reduced and rounded so it would pass through the 5mm tapped holes in the frame. During assembly the taper nut and backnuts were Loctited. The 4mm thick rubber backing washer provides the correct overall spacing and some vibration damping.

I shall be doing some 'testing' over the next few days, but I'm optimistic that at last of got rid of those awful BMW baskets.

CAUTION: I kid you not these magnets are VERY strong. 2 magnets will attract and jump together when 7" apart! In this event, the shock or dropping on to a hard surface can chip or crack them. keep them away from metal or filings, they will find anything and stick hard.

You can find Neodymium magnets on Ebay or your local supplier. I've used these 2 sources:

In case anybody is thinking about 3M dual locks, they have a good friction pull strength but only a pound or so to separate them.

www.first4magnets.com
www.e-magnetsUK.com

Vox
Old 03-29-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
This is one fix that I want to do. Given you did this some time ago, if you were to do it again would you do anything different?
I had to remind myself that a) I'm still riding the same bike and b) The pods have been fixed that way nearly 8 years.

Every time I take off plastics for work, I grin at my magnetic pods!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'voxmagna' for this post:
Old 03-30-2015, 05:45 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Well done Vox! I can get 20 mm x 7 mm Neodymium countersunk magnet discs locally, they can handle 7 kg. In your opinion do you think they would be adequate, I would need to add a 3 mm spacer into the mix to get the pods positioned accurately.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:10 PM

I can only honestly say the one's I used work and have never been blown off.

Some have tried Velcro, but I doubt you could pull 7Kg on Velcro in hot weather! Remember 7kg is times 3 if you repeat what I did, that sounds like a lot of grunt to keep them on. Spacers should be no issue as long as they are not on the magnet surface. I'm relying on the steel frame.

If I wanted to get really picky for Uber maximum strength I would have fastened super flat polished discs to the steel cage, or used pairs of thinner magnets with one fixed to the plastic pod and the other on the steel cage. I think you still need a center location spigot as I explained, because it stops the magnets sliding.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:39 PM
Getting up to speed

You wouldn't happen to have pictures? I can only half picture in my mind what you are saying. I was also looking at Neodyne adhesive strip, they have a strength of 1kg per cm used so if there was enough frame to connect to they might also do the trick... still toying with various ideas. Luckily my 1998 K12RS still has its baskets intact and i can remove main fairings without removing pods.

Cheers
Old 02-12-2018, 08:03 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

This is an issue for many people. After buying my bike I had to replace certain parts on the pod. In the process a few things became apparent.

The OEM solution.
1) When assembling a pod to the faring--do not force it.
2) Given a bit of proper lubrication the pods should snap into place without excessive force.
3) Sometimes the studs don't find their way into the baskets squarely, and the reason for this is the ring or leaves on the basket are mis-aligned.
4) Identify the basket that is misaligned, and using a small screwdriver slipped through the basket from one side to the other, rotate the basket about a quarter turn.
5) Attempt to reassemble the pod again. If resistance continues, rotate the offending basket again.

By careful manipulation of the baskets the pods will easily snap into place. Just be patient. The design is fine. (Although, I do become worried whenever my bike is in for service--but so far so good)
Prod:WB10554AXWZA50295 05/97
See the "Marrakesh Express:" http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=53497

'74 R90/6 -> '76 R90S -> '85 K100RT -> '98 K1200RS