I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S/R" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S/R" Technical Q&A K1200S/R Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 02-20-2018, 05:56 AM
Twisted Wrister

ESA II shock refurbished

Since my bike has more than 30.000 miles on it, I decided to have the rear shock absorber serviced. There was nothing seriously wrong with the rear shock but last year I found the ride was getting a bit mushy and nervous at the back. Damper oil turned into black watery muck, I guessed. Also I had to go to two helmets and sport to get the stability I wanted.
I do like the ESA II system so I decided to have the shock overhauled.
The Hyperpro people said the shock could not be serviced for it is permanently sealed. I had a look at it and noticed an end cap with notches for a wrench in it. Hmmm... Perhaps they were talking about some later Sachs models, mine is from 2010 made by WP.
So I found a guy not too far away who does servicing, overhauling and improving shock absorbers for motocross and road bikes, but also quite heavy things for North Sea oil rigs.
I removed the shock assembly from the bike and handed it over to this guy. He precision re-ground the piston rod, replaced the seals and bushings, cleaned and checked the shims. Nitrogen and damper oil were replaced. Stepper motors were fine but there was some slight burring on the hollow piston that goes in and out the elastomer element changing the ride hight and overall spring “power”. There is very little hydraulic fluid controlling this piston and some had leaked past the O-ring that seals it. This could explain why in the end the 2 helmets setting had to be used more often. The burrs were removed, a new O-ring installed.

I had the shock back in a couple of days. Again I followed the BMW reprom and again I wished it was in print instead of on dvd. What a pain!
Getting the shock out and in is simple with standard tools. What took most of my time were the ESA connectors hidden behind the 12 volt outlet cover and behind the left rear frame. I had to bend a small screwdriver to slide them off their mounting and in the same motion disconnect them. Lose your patience here and you will ruin these connectors. Even getting that plastic cover back in place without breaking it, took me half an hour!
Some home mechanics partially loosen the subframe and hinge it upwards toward the gas tank. I found removing the subframe completely gave me unlimited room to work.
My bike has a center stand. That makes removing and installing the shock so much easier.

BMW charges 2,500 euro’s for a new rear shock assembly. I paid 250 euro’s for the refurbishing and it looks and feels like is it good for another 30.000 miles.

High end ESA disconnector tool.
The following (10) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'henkpenk' for this post:
Old 02-20-2018, 06:22 AM
Thanked 1,410 Times in 795 Posts

Re: ESA II shock refurbished

Great info Henk I have just replaced my esa wih wilbers but kept the esa shocks. I hope to rebuild them so that I can keep the bike and it's standard parts. i agree re the connectors behind the outlet socket - what a pain they were. There's also these guys in the Netherlands that have a good reputation for rebuilding shocks. Must be a Dutch thing
https://www.jjsuspension.nl/

2008 K1200R - B1.
2009 HP2 Sport. - B2
Old 02-20-2018, 07:11 AM
Twisted Wrister

I considered JJ but they are a two hour drive from where I live while the guy that did the work is only 20 miles away.
Suspension is a bit of a Dutch thing, is it. Strange at first sight because our country is nearly flat with mostly excellent roads.
Perhaps it's because motocross, enduro and road racing used to be very big overhere in the seventies and eighties. This gave us companies like Koni, WP and more recently Hyperpro.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:02 PM
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,416 Posts

Hi Henk

Good information, for the near future in my case

Fiona has now 75.000 Km, and the suspension works like new, fortunately, but is good to know how to

Thanks