I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200RS/GT > "KRS/GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"KRS/GT" Technical Q&A K1200RS/GT Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 05-28-2018, 04:34 PM
Getting up to speed

Bbpower chip, 72kw jumper

I ordered a Gemi chip and installed it today. During the install I found a couple of things I did not expect. The GS911 read the bike as a 72kw model. The Vin IDs the bike as 96kw. Checking the bike I found a three legged jumper in the low output relay location and the boots look like the 96kw, not stepped down. I removed the jumper and it changed to 96kw. When I opened the 166 ECU I found a bbpower chip with an adaptor board. Does anyone have expererience with bbpower chips or
installation information they could share. When the rain clears I'll post my results for the new Gemi chip.
Thanks,
Old 05-29-2018, 10:28 AM
Getting up to speed

Re: Bbpower chip, 72kw jumper

Okay, I think my issue was that the DBp0wer chip was jumpered for stage 3, My bike has a ztechnik exhaust and K&N filter, but that should have been set for stage 1 or 2. Gas mileage was about 34-35mpg, and the the bike had a few rough spots. I think it was running rich, making the bike feel a little "muddy".

The Gemi chip is certainly an improvement, (Thanks John). John sent me two chips, as my bike is an 03 and could have had either of two ecus. Mine was a 166, so used the later chip. The bike no longer has the rough spots in mid range, the throttle feels more crisp, and "seems" to rev quicker. I hit the rev limiter by accident in 2nd, I always shifted sooner by feel before changing the chip.

I emailed Dbpower asking for install direction and they have allready sent me the install sheet and instructions for the jumper locations, very resposive, Thanks. I may try the chip in my wifes bike, a 2002 K1200RS, set for stage 1 to see how it feels.
The DbPower chip has 6 possible maps you choose with jumper settins, so it should be possible to get it close for many setups. you could even install a few switchs and easily and quickly try all the different maps during a ride. You do have to turn off the ignition to make the changes, but still a quick easy way to find the best map, or even use it as a mode switch.

Dennis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DBPOWER RELAY PINOUT.jpg (83.3 KB, 19 views)
Old 05-29-2018, 10:40 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Hey CDSumlin,

I ordered a chip from John Gemi back on March 25 this year, PP'd him the 80 Euros and all I ever got was a string of excuses about hospitals and promises to send it "this week" and such. Still don't have it, and want my money back now.

Then I discovered the "296" OEM chip, the last and best chip from BMW, in the recent thread in this Forum, "General Discussion" section, under " '03 mileage issue". I'd recommend you read about it.

The member here, K-K, has three of these chips left, and much less $$ than John Gemi's chip. It made my bike run really well, no issues whatsoever. It was a very simple plug and play install. Sounds like it would be a big improvement over John's chip
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Lowndes' for this post:
Old 06-04-2018, 09:49 PM

Well, well, well; guess what showed up today.

Anyone interested in a "Stage 3" chip from "John the Greek"?? Cheap.

PM me.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:19 PM
A.K.A. "Kumbustible-K"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowndes
Well, well, well; guess what showed up today.

Anyone interested in a "Stage 3" chip from "John the Greek"?? Cheap.

PM me.

You should try it first, would be interesting to get a comparison to the 296

04 K12GT

Tiverton, RI
Old 06-05-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-K
You should try it first, would be interesting to get a comparison to the 296

Hey, Rick,

I just put my side plastics back on after riding without them for a couple of months. Kinda got used to the rat bike look and all the strange stares, plus the ease of access for all kinds of work on it. Yeah, it might be fun to compare the two except that your 296 is SO GOOD, plus getting to the ECU now would be such a pain. John's chip was described on another thread somewhere with flat spots and something else not good so it CAN'T be better. I'll be doing another 800 m ride this weekend, will get more mileage info on the 296.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:33 PM

FWIW, I researched those Greek performance chips here, on fb and another forum.. Do those come with dyno-data yet? Or is it still "trust me, you'll love it"?
Total BS without credible data, in my opinion of course.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:39 PM
Getting up to speed

The chip I recieved is smoother than the one that I took out, but it was a Bbpower chip, and was incorrectly setup. It eliminated the occasional backfire I had on deceleration and definetly improved milage, not sure exactly how much yet. This is not much of an endorsment, as the tuning was off. My 2003 k1200Gt has a ztechnik exhaust and a K&N Filter + 58000 miles.
My wife rides a bone stock 2002 k1200RS. I plan to install the 2nd chip I recieved from John on her bike.( He sent 2 chips, as 2003 was a year that could have either of the chip designs. My 03 used the later design). Her bike surges at light cruise, 3 to 4000 rpm, and I hope it smoothes it out. I'll let ya'll know what I think.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:30 PM

Hey, Rick,

774 miles this weekend on your 296 chip, mostly non-ethanol gas, a variety of roads and traffic, NO rain. Including this weekend, the last 828 miles used 19.516 gallons of fuel giving an overall average of 42.43 mpg, with a high of 51.34 and a low of 38.64 mpg. PLUS, it ran really well, VERY strong, no issues whatsoever. Can't THANK YOU enough!! THE BEST improvement I've made to the bike including the Wilbur's, not to mention the LEAST $$ by far!! And, it will pay for itself!!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Lowndes' for this post:
K-K
Old 06-26-2018, 08:04 PM
Getting up to speed

I finally got around to installing the chip in my wifes 2002. In easy riding she told me it seemed much smoother. I doubt she hit more than 6k rpm at any time, but she was gery happy after about 100 miles. I have noted better mileage with mine. I never got more than 35mpg, usually less, now getting 40+ around town. Faster, I don't know, but both bikes are smoother. I still may put the bbpower chip in with the correct jumpers just to compare.