I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300GT > "K13GT" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13GT" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 10-07-2016, 03:28 PM
Entering the on-ramp

2009 K1300GT stalling

Hello all, purchased my bike in CO back in Feb 2016. It had 9800 miles, I rode the first 3K miles or so without issue. Recently shipped the bike to CT for move. Within the last 500 miles I am getting the stalling. I always use 93 octane here, Shell this last tank. I ran some sea foam through the gas tank (couldn't find Chevron Techron at the time but I will hunt down for next tank) but it hasn't resolved the issue. I have ordered the booster plug to see if that helps.

The local dealer indicated no open recalls, but they haven't been able to tell me what the ECU software version is or if it was updated.

Other than cleaning the throttle bodies and adjusting the stop / changing the air filter should that fix it?

The dealer first told me it sounded like a battery issue, so I figured what the heck I'll put in a new one since I wasn't sure how old the existing battery was. Now they want me to change the spark plugs, but the bike has only 14,500 miles.

I have researched the issue quite a bit, just wondering if there will be a sure fire fix or if it's still spotty or reducing the stalls only.

Thanks, love the bike but the stalling is frustrating. I want to add some expensive Corbin seats and other things but want to make sure I can get rid of the stalling first before putting more money into the bike.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:49 PM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,828 Times in 2,095 Posts

Re: 2009 K1300GT stalling

I would run some techron through it before you dump any money diagnosing it. That bike wasn't ridden a lot and you might have some gunk in there from ethanol gas. Probably won't do anything, but it's a cheaper start.

I'll bet you miss Colorado.

Welcome!

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 10-07-2016, 03:52 PM
Entering the on-ramp

You are correct on missing CO. Thanks I will find some for my next fill up. The bike sat for 3 months in storage until I bought a house here and there was no sta-bil (wasn't expecting it to take so long). It did run fine on a 800 mile trip to Maine right after that though before the issue. I'm surprised sea foam wouldn't do the same, but worth a shot. I already bought the battery and booster, figured both won't hurt anything.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:44 AM
Getting up to speed

I have a K1300S and was having stalling issues as well, though mine might have been more accurately described as the "hot start" problem, but it did stall from time to time as well.

Performed fix for:

Defect code 61 11 90 05 00 - Optimisation of Hot Starting Installed Supplemental Wiring Harness, Starter Relay

This was not a "recall" I don't think, and I had to pay for it out of pocket. I can't remember how much it was, but I want to say it was a few hundred bucks, $250 maybe? Anyway, it solved my problem.

They didn't know how to diagnose anything until I dug up this defect code. Then they measured voltage in the starter relay and saw that it was off by up to a volt.

Thought maybe this might help you.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:03 AM
Postmeister

I do not believe any of the stalling issues is from gasoline. Chevron is not a magic fuel. Unless you purchase your fuel from a Tennessee still the fuel is fine. I believe it is a programming issue and lean fuel supply. I installed a Booster Plug on my 09 K1300GT. It stopped the stalling mostly. The performance with Booster Plug was a great improvement. Smoother throttle response from on - off - on . Nice when accelerating out of a corner. I sold my GT and bought an RT because it was a bit heavy for an aging sole.

Jeff M.
2002 Harley Dyna Wideglide
2016 BMW R1200RT
2009 BMW K1300GT sold
1976 BMW R90/6 sold
1967 BSA 441 Victor sold
Old 10-10-2016, 10:31 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Thanks everyone for the responses. I received my booster plug so I'll install that soon. I also got some Chevron Techron so that is going in next tank.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:14 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Also try giving it a long hot run and go through a couple of tankfulls of fresh petrol. That should clear out any bits that could be causing it. Try a high speed thrash too. I had mine up to 160 mph the other week and it feels so much better....

Rgds, Dave.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:37 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Just joined this forum and still trying to figure things out. Forgive if I'm out of sorts. Was the stalling issue of the K1300GT resolved? I have an issue with my 09 also, but have learned to ride with it. It usually occurs when the bike is good and warm and coming to a stop, just off idle. My stalls never have been at any other rpm other than just off idle (900-1000 rpms).
I thought I was fairly mechanically inclined, but someone will have to tell me what the hell a "booster plug" is?
Thanks all!
Old 01-27-2017, 09:39 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Hello all,

Steve from Baltimore checking in. I have an 07 K1200GT w 43k miles. I have the stalling problem as well. Seems to occur when ambient air temp is high, after exiting a highway and throttling off to stop. Never stalls while under acceleration or on cruise control. Last summer I had a failure of the black rubber/plastic cam (I think it is called) on my throttle body last summer that caused the nub of the throttle cable to release. I replaced the throttle body with a used one. Had the problem both before and after replacement, so that probably didn't have anything to do with it stalling. I always run super gas, usually from Exxon or BP. Have used Techron. Very annoying.

Thanks for all the good discussion here. In future, I think I am going to try to Kindjal's suggestion.

Btw, I'm sure all the "balls" will be checked before the super bowl ! Haha: yelrotflmao:
Old 01-27-2017, 10:42 PM
It is a definite Maybe

Send a message via Skype™ to lazeyjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtSilverado
Hello all,

Steve from Baltimore checking in. I have an 07 K1200GT w 43k miles. I have the stalling problem as well. Seems to occur when ambient air temp is high, after exiting a highway and throttling off to stop. Never stalls while under acceleration or on cruise control. Last summer I had a failure of the black rubber/plastic cam (I think it is called) on my throttle body last summer that caused the nub of the throttle cable to release. I replaced the throttle body with a used one. Had the problem both before and after replacement, so that probably didn't have anything to do with it stalling. I always run super gas, usually from Exxon or BP. Have used Techron. Very annoying.

Thanks for all the good discussion here. In future, I think I am going to try to Kindjal's suggestion.

Btw, I'm sure all the "balls" will be checked before the super bowl ! Haha: yelrotflmao:
same bike same issues with fuel mapping, surging, stopped with chevron though
Old 03-17-2017, 03:46 PM
Getting up to speed

Hey All - Purchased my bike last year - 2009 K13GT with 65,000 kms. Bike stalled when it was nice and warm and accelerating from a stop. First time at a park, with my wife, freaked us out a bit , cuz, this is a BMW!! Cmon. Anyway, no big deal, no one around. Took the bike in under the dealers 3 month warranty (yeh really good thing to have) and he changed out the battery cable everyone speaks about. (which hadnt been done previously) Bike still stalled - so that wasnt the answer. Also had a gas smell I noticed was quite strong when I parked in my garage. Too much smell than the normal smell you get from a bike (which I actually like. Always has a great smell in a garage......anyway) after 3 seperate tries at the shop, the tech figured out the fuel pump was cracked. Back on the bike for a ride hoping, wondering, wishing..... but still stalling. The stall is generally when I stop, and then start off and the bike stalls. I barely get the clutch out and it just quits. I was told several times it was rider error. But if it was rider error, the bike would restart. So I totally do not buy that. Last time after a nice ride, bike was warm, but not 30C (86F) out, around 25C (77F) in rush hour traffic. UGH! This beautiful KGT pushed to the side of the road sitting idle in embarrassment. (and i dont mean idling) Pushed it up the sidewalk and two young fellas asked if I needed a hand. I was going to get them to push start me, but after the 10 minute or so cooldown, I tried the starter and it sprang to life. Spoke to the BMW tech and he said theres nothing he can do. Ride the bike and when it stalls, let it cool down!! Fairly lame answer to a rather prestigious piece of engineering. I asked what if this happens on a corner or in a situation where a stall would not be a good option. He said that shouldnt happen. Ok. so I live with the possibility of the bike stalling after warming up. Whatcha gonna do?
Old 03-17-2017, 04:12 PM
Entering the on-ramp

For me the Chevron techron fixed the issue. I had it out probably 5 times after two doses and it was totally fine.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:41 AM
Getting up to speed

is Chevron techron a high octane fuel?
Old 03-18-2017, 11:59 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Smile Re: 2009 K1300GT stalling CHEVRON INFO PURE GAS

I live in Canada and never had a problem with the stalling until I went to the USA. What was the difference? In Canada I always used Shell premium which does not have ethanol. I started using the app PURE GAS when I travel in the USA and now the bike runs smooooother. Info on CHEVRON IS HERE http://www.techron.com/#performance
Old 03-18-2017, 12:55 PM
Getting up to speed

Re: 2009 K1300GT stalling CHEVRON INFO PURE GAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankr
I live in Canada and never had a problem with the stalling until I went to the USA. What was the difference? In Canada I always used Shell premium which does not have ethanol. I started using the app PURE GAS when I travel in the USA and now the bike runs smooooother. Info on CHEVRON IS HERE http://www.techron.com/#performance
I'm in Canada as well (Ontario) but I was told I dont need to put high octane in the bike??!!
I should definitely try the high test and see if that fixes things. I do usually go to shell mind you. Thanks for the tips.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:09 PM
Entering the on-ramp

booster plug is a easy (well mostly) wy to fool your computer into thinking the intake air is colder than it is.. and the computer compensates by richening up the mixture a bit.
$150 dollars well spent... BUT you need to remove the body work and the tank to install on a 13gt. copy the link below.

https://www.boosterplug.com/shop/bmw-28s1.html
Old 04-07-2017, 08:21 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Previous owner already put a booster plug on mine. Presuming it is working as it should, obviously has no effect. ???
Old 04-07-2017, 11:26 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

First step for anyone with a poor idle/stalling problem would be a simple idle actuator calibration. Any dealer can do this and you can also do it with a GS911.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:30 AM
Entering the on-ramp

In my very limited experience, I make sure and need three or four gallons of fuel when I have to use a "single hose" dispensing pump. In most instances there's going to be = perhaps 2 quarts of low octane fuel in the pump's system.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:33 AM
Entering the on-ramp

My experience with stalling at idle was due oil in the airbox. I now keep the oil slightly below MAX.

Draining the airbox is a service item so it must be a known issue.

It is easy to over service the oil if the oil has cooked. Plus there are two oil tank sizes depending on the bike. Either 4.0 litres or 3.5 L. Mine is 3.5L..

My bike was running great and then starting to stall. I was ready to get rid of it but decided to do the 18000 mile service and they found the oil in the airbox and the oil was above MAX.

It was like getting a brand new bike. No idle problems at all.

It happened a second time with the oil sitting just slightly over MAX when HOT. I now keep it below MAX and I have not had any issues at all.

No idea if my situation could be related to others stalling problems but I am confident it was my issue.
09 K1300GT
14 Kawasaki D Tracker 250
Honda NC700 DCT in FL
S1000RR (Sold)
KLE 500 (Sold)
Old 10-16-2018, 08:46 PM
Getting up to speed

So far so good...

By the way the oil in the air box was the first thing I checked, it was dry.

So, I broke the cardinal rule for diagnosing problems by changing two things at a time, but I didn't want to go in there twice.

1. I disconnected the AF-XiED for now, since that didn't seem to help.

2. I pulled the tank and removed, cleaned and re-installed the Idle air system/valve from the bottom of the air box. (Note: I was able to do it without removing the air box, but make sure you put a towel or something underneath to catch the screws in case you drop one. Ask me how I know. :-O )

3. Contrary to what the dealer said the K1300GT is not throttle by wire. The throttle cables connect directly to the throttle butterflies. AND there is a throttle stop screw on the end. I adjusted the stop screw in 1/4 turn hoping to boost the idle just a tad. (Note: a 1/2 turn might be more appropriate)

Went for a short ride today to test and so far, so good. Granted the ambient was 30 deg cooler than the last test. I'm going on a trip this week and will report more long term results later.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:38 PM
Getting up to speed

Better, Much Better!

Just got back from a 1200 mi trip to TN. After the above changes it only stalled twice the whole trip. Once right after I left home and once coming to a stop. Both times were downshifting from 4th to 2nd. Lot's of other opportunities to fail on the trip but it didn't. Not sure if I need to up the idle a little more. Also have a new Idle system ordered. Not sure if I should replace it or keep as spare. ;-)

Thanks.