I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200GT-Slant 4 Version > "K12GT" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12GT" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 01-02-2017, 04:42 PM
Getting up to speed

Battery charging via side plug

On my previous K1200S I could charge the battery by plugging the charger into the socket on the left side of the engine, but on this 2006 K1200GT bike I cannot do this. I even do not have any power on the socket unless I turn the ignition key, so it loos like this socket is for consumers and is not able to charge the battery. On the K1200GT there is another hole for one more socket, so I guess I would have to buy that and wire it directly to the battery in order to charge my battery that way and not having to remove the cover on the top of the fuel tank every time I want to charge the battery. Any suggestions are welcome.
2006 BMW K1200S
Old 01-02-2017, 05:03 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,600 Times in 1,224 Posts

Re: Battery charging via side plug

Here is a socket and wire set up that you will need nothing else. OEM Police Parts # 65 142 153 835. It has the socket ( a good one not the cheap aluminum of the major side brand) 4" of cable, an inline fuse holder and eye rings for your battery bolts. I recommend you use a 15 amp fuse so you can use this for your tire air compressor if you use one. Or your heated jacket liner. You are discovering the lack of power available. If you start to add equipment you might think about a fuse box. If you do a search on fuse box, you will find plenty about this subject you are up against.
S1000R
I need a Honda sport or better yet a Monkey
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:48 AM

You don't live too far away. Get the parts and we could install it here if you need help. I live in Mount Vernon. Or if it is cheaper, order from MAX have it shipped here and then come down on a day that works for you, like when it is warmer.
S1000R
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:07 AM
Getting up to speed

Thanks,

I cam install it easily myself, just looking for he right socket to fit the BMW charger plug that I have on my charger. I am tired of removing the battery cover on the top of the fuel tank. I could bastardize the socket I have now which I believe is wired for heat vest or similar consumer but then I will not have that possibility later on and I may screw up the setup that is wired now. I see that on these cover there are three round holes for three sockets, so I'll be buying one more to wire directly to the battery.
2006 BMW K1200S
Old 01-05-2017, 05:13 AM
Shooting the gap

If I'm not mistaken, that socket is live for some time (seconds or minutes, not sure) after you power down with ignition key so smart chargers can initiate the charge. After that, canbus stays powered as long as charger is connected, allowing you to charge the battery.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:54 AM
interacting

The power socket that comes stock on K1200GT's 06-and up is connected to the CANBUS. This fiendish device can determine if you have a "genuine BMW CANBUS compatable device" plugged into it. This includes chargers, inflaters, heated clothing, MP3 players, satellite radios, etc. If it senses the device is not certified BMW issue, it powers off. The fix is to install a Powerlet socket in the open hole in the bay and connect it directly to the battery. I have an '07 GT1200, and found this out on my first camping tour, to my dismay.*****MdMn******
Old 01-09-2017, 09:35 AM
Site Contributor

You can charge your battery through the original CANbus-protected Powerlet outlet on the left side of your K1200GT, but you must use a special CANbus-aware charger.

BMW sells its own brand of charger that works through the CANbus Powerlet outlet. Many years ago, some people complained that it was tricky to use. If you did not get the timing right between when you turned off the K1200GT and when you connected the charger, the BMW charger would have "handshake" issues with the CANbus, where the charger would not initialize properly. I hope that by now it has been corrected, or maybe there is a newer model from BMW that is not as finicky.

I have an Optimate 4 by Tecmate, which also works through the original CANbus Powerlet outlet. It is a computerized charger that just works. All you do is plug it in. The Optimate 4 has lots of blinkin' lights to show you charging status and battery condition. I like it a lot and highly recommend it. It is not cheap, but it is well worth the money, in my opinion.

I have never had an issue with the Optimate 4. You connect it to the original K1200GT Powerlet outlet, then plug it into the wall outlet. There are no timing or handshake issues. The Optimate 4 charges the battery even if the K1200GT has been off for days. You don't have to do anything with the bike to get the charger going.

The Optimate 4 is sold in two versions. The BMW CANbus edition comes with the OptiMATE CABLE O-09 that plugs into the Powerlet outlet on your K1200GT. The regular version does not have the Powerlet cable, but you can easily buy it as a separate accessory. The Optimate 4 has two modes - one for BMW CANbus (Powerlet outlet) and the other for direct connection to a battery. It is easy to switch modes, and the Optimate 4 stays in whatever mode you set it until you change modes again.

If you want to buy an Optimate 4, I would shop on price. If you buy the BMW CANbus version, it will come with the Powerlet cable and will be preset for BMW CANbus charging. If you buy the regular version, budget for the Powerlet cable and remember to change it to the BMW CANbus mode when you get it.

Tecmate sells other chargers, but only the Optimate 4 has the BMW CANbus mode. I have an Optimate 6 as well, which I used on a car that was left behind when one of my children went away to college. I bought the Optimate 6 first, because of its higher current capacity for the car battery. The Optimate 6 also worked well when connected to my K1200GT, but it had to be connected directly to the battery. (I removed the K1200GT battery cover and used the included clips.) Eventually I got tired of moving the Optimate 6 between the car and the motorcycle so I left the Optimate 6 on the car battery and bought the Optimate 4 for my K1200GT ... and never regretted it.

Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with Tecmate, other than as a satisfied customer.

I hope this helps.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'XMagnaRider' for this post:
Old 03-05-2017, 10:09 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I have an Opitmate 4 CANbus charger I use on my '07GT. It works like a charm! To get around the CANbus issues I installed a DIN plug connected directly to the battery just above the right fairing glove box.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:09 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmotsenbocker
I have an Opitmate 4 CANbus charger I use on my '07GT. It works like a charm! To get around the CANbus issues I installed a DIN plug connected directly to the battery just above the right fairing glove box.
... but if you have an Optimate 4, you don't have any CANbus issues. An Optimate 4 can do its charging work through the CANbus protected DIN plug (Powerlet) on the left side of the bike. An Optimate 4 will work through a direct battery connection too, but there is no need for it.

The Optimate 4 has two modes, so you must set it for the correct mode (CANbus vs. regular for direct connections). You change modes by connecting the two clamps together, plugging it in, and then watch the lights. One pattern indicates CANbus mode, the other pattern indicates direct charging mode. You can find the instructions on the internet.

Of course, a direct battery DIN connection above the glove box has many uses, and riders will appreciate having it.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:46 PM
2013 Member of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudman
The power socket that comes stock on K1200GT's 06-and up is connected to the CANBUS. This fiendish device can determine if you have a "genuine BMW CANBUS compatable device" plugged into it. This includes chargers, inflaters, heated clothing, MP3 players, satellite radios, etc. If it senses the device is not certified BMW issue, it powers off. The fix is to install a Powerlet socket in the open hole in the bay and connect it directly to the battery. I have an '07 GT1200, and found this out on my first camping tour, to my dismay.*****MdMn******

Are you sure? My El-Cheapo $10 tire air compressor works just fine when plugged into the power socket on my 08 GT.

No more "Vancouver.... the Blond Bimbo of Cities" for me
.... moved to Kelowna BC in the beautiful wine country of the Okanagan Valley.

- '08 K1200GT, metallic charcoal/silver
- '86 K100RT, Diamantgrau Metallic (great old girl!).
Old 03-07-2017, 12:40 AM

I think it is a matter of amps. Check your owners manual and see what is available from the socket. There was a transition from very old 15 amps, newer 10 amps and now 5 amps which is relatively useless. Air compressors vary in current draw. And if you use one please start your bike and let it idle while using the unit, the added voltabe 12.something vs. 14.2 idling will make a huge difference in amps and related problems.
S1000R