I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200GT-Slant 4 Version > "K12GT" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12GT" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

View Poll Results: On my '06, '07, '08, '09 GT My Computer Fuel MPG Is:
>=34 and <37 MPG 19 7.22%
>=37 and <40 MPG 49 18.63%
>=40 and <44 MPG 118 44.87%
>44 MPG 77 29.28%
Voters: 263. You may not vote until 'registered'. Please go here: http://www.i-bmw.com/register.php

Old 02-09-2009, 09:46 AM
RidesLikeAFloridian

K12GT Fuel Mileage Poll

Admittedly, I like to whack the throttle and while I [tend to] stay within the speed limits, I like getting there quickly. So my MPG (computer) on my '07 GT caught me by surprise as compared to my '07 R12GS Adv. The GT, using the bike's computer registers a consistent 42 MPG, over long distances at freeway+ speeds mixed with around town, while the best the R12GS Adv gets is about 38-39. To break 40 I have to be very serious about conserving fuel! Aerodynamics, more efficient torque/hp, just surprising to me that GT more fuel efficient!
Jacksonville, (Northeast) Florida
Old 02-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Site Contributor

Re: K12GT Fuel Mileage Poll

K1200GT mileage depends on many factors, too numerous to name.

You can find a detailed K1200GT mileage spreadsheet at:

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13211 The latest update is at post #40.

--XMR
Old 02-09-2009, 11:01 AM
RidesLikeAFloridian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
K1200GT mileage depends on many factors, too numerous to name.

You can find a detailed K1200GT mileage spreadsheet at:

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13211 The latest update is at post #40.

--XMR

Uhhh, must be in a crusty[ooops, crustier] mood this A.M. I am not interested in why, how-to improve, nor what these factors are as they would seem intuitively obvious. But, was more curious as to the efficiency of the slant/4, the aerodynmaics of the GT, and how, interestingly enough, the venerable boxer in the Adventure (100 bhp), as opposed to the fuel-sipping boxers in the RT (RT owners love to talk about their RT's fuel economy) doesn't do as well. Now of course, the windscreen on the ADV, is a barn door when vertical, the fuel tank is barn-door number two, and the topcase and the BMW side cases are barn doors three, four, and five, respectively.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:32 AM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro
Uhhh, must be in a crusty[ooops, crustier] mood this A.M.

You?

Old 02-09-2009, 12:38 PM
RidesLikeAFloridian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggiebone
You?

Ok, I still work for a living (well, go to work every day ) so I have an excuse for being around monitoring these forums. PLUS, my PDA sends me e-mails immediately, BUT, are you always here? Ready to pounce on a nice guy like me!?
Old 02-09-2009, 01:36 PM
2013 Member of the Year

John,

I find that on a long trip, if I keep to speeds in the 100-120 km/h range (60-75 MPH), my '08 GT gets an indicated 4.9 liters/100km (just over 48 MPG... US gallons, that is). Rather impressive, actually, given the performance of the bike.

No more "Vancouver.... the Blond Bimbo of Cities" for me
.... moved to Kelowna BC in the beautiful wine country of the Okanagan Valley.

- '08 K1200GT, metallic charcoal/silver
- '86 K100RT, Diamantgrau Metallic (great old girl!).
Old 02-09-2009, 01:41 PM
RidesLikeAFloridian

True Bob, I suspect, but could be wrong that since I am being very heavy on the throttle and usually am cruising the Interstates at 80+ (and getting passed most of the time by cars) I'm at 42ish. And yeah, that's what prompted the POLL as I was very surprised (I rarely look at the computer readout other than when it's clocking down remaining miles to empty with fuel warning light on). Pretty impressive IMO.

Best Regards,
Old 02-09-2009, 01:57 PM
Site Contributor

Cool Re: K12GT Fuel Mileage Poll

Fuel quality seems to affect my mileage as well as riding style. I think that some stations are using a little more ethanol than others. I typically use Chevron premium unleaded from the same local station and get around 40 - 42 miles per U.S. gallon. If I get stuck out in the boonies and have to fill up with some off brand premium I sometimes get only 38 - 40 miles per U.S. gallon. If I am really flogging the old girl I might only get 36 -37 miles per U.S. gallon. By the way these are all calculated averages and not from the bike computer although the bike computer is usually pretty close. I also live in Savannah, GA which is only about 20 feet above sea level. When I ride in the mountains at say more than 3000 feet of elevation I always get better gas mileage.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:03 PM
Just Ride It

One of the changes to the K13GT was to make the front fairing narrower to decrease wind resistance. Who know how much thinner, or how much it might actually help?

I pretty much average 40 mpg on my '07, calculated over tens of thousands of miles. I can get as much as 50 if I ride it gently (but where's the fun in that), and <25 mpg if really thrashing it hard.

There are a lot of factors, including aerodynamic drag, rolling resistance, overall weight, combustion chamber efficiency, etc., but the biggest factor is easily that little twisty thing on the right grip.
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT
'07 Dark Graphite Metallic K12GT
IBA# 366, MOA# 111996
Old 02-10-2009, 08:16 AM
Entering the on-ramp

On the odd occasion I check the readout it varies A LOT. Once around 28, another 50+, normally mid 40's. Strangely I always need to refill fuel at about the same distance, give or take 7 or 8 miles? Regardless of what the readout tells me?
Old 02-10-2009, 08:49 AM
RidesLikeAFloridian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
I can get as much as 50 if I ride it gently (but where's the fun in that), and <25 mpg if really thrashing it hard.

...but the biggest factor is easily that little twisty thing on the right grip.

+1 AMEN!
Old 02-10-2009, 03:21 PM
National Park, TX!

I'm a little disappointed in my mileage. I used to get about 38-39.. then after my 36K checkup at the dealer, it dropped to 36-37 MPG. They checked the valves, and said they had to replace some shims, whatever that means. I do have a large windshield and aero guards too which doesn't help. I had hoped to get 40+ mph but that only happens when I have a nice tail wind.

L8r.. allen

... it is easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission ...
Old 02-10-2009, 03:52 PM
Entering the on-ramp

We could ride scooters and save gas.
....more to life than gas mileage...twist the wick!
Old 02-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Just Ride It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bend
They checked the valves, and said they had to replace some shims, whatever that means.
Interesting. This is the first bike I've heard of where the valve shims had to be changed. Most of us just get them checked and find everything still in spec. Including my bike, last checked at 53K.

For the record, the valve shims (#10) sit between the top of the valve stem (#1 & #2) and the cam follower (#9). They are available in 0.05 mm (0.002") increments, from 4.60 mm to 5.70 mm thick. So you would measure the clearance between the shim and the cam follower and compare that to the specification. If the clearance is too large, you go with a thicker shim. If it's too small, you go with a thinner shim. Too large (loose) gives excess valve noise and wear. Too small (tight) means the valve may not be fully closing, causing the valve and its seat to get excessively hot and possibly burn. Checking/changing valve shims isn't all that difficult, once you get all the plastic and the radiators out of the way.

Sorry, should this be in the Technical forum instead.
IBA# 366, MOA# 111996
Old 02-10-2009, 06:02 PM
interacting

Even at 75-80 mph my '07 K12GT gets 44+ mpg. I almost never see the computer estimated mpg below 40 (all mpg verified by hand calculation at fill up). I find it interesting that BMW bikes seem to be the only ones that are actually improving in fuel consumption over the past few years. Kawasaki C-14 Concours, Honda 1300, Yamaha FJR are all exhibiting poorer fuel efficiency in this same time frame.*******The Mudman******
Old 02-10-2009, 11:28 PM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudman
Even at 75-80 mph my '07 K12GT gets 44+ mpg. I almost never see the computer estimated mpg below 40 (all mpg verified by hand calculation at fill up).

When I look, mine has never been below 45 and I've seen as high a 50 going thru freeking OKLAHOMA. Wnat me to tell ya about that...? <g>

But...I ride like a sissy!

Old 02-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Site Contributor

Pumping losses! On the freeway I get 'puter readings of 48 mpg, constant 75mph. City, 30-32. When the throttle is shut down, which it mostly is in the city, the engine has to work pretty hard to just suck in a little air. With an engine putting out this many ponies (and consequent pumping losses), BMW engineers had to work pretty hard to keep the average mileage anywhere near 40.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:14 PM
Site Contributor

Last summer on the way back from MOA Rally, I averaged about 48-51 mpg. (according to the trip computer). In actuality, it was more like 44-45 mpg. by my calculations on fill ups.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:39 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

I guess you guys are measuring your mileage in USA "gallons" whilst my mileage results are calculated in imperial gallons. So around town etc I get about 40 mpg but whilst touring, two up with full luggage I can easily get 50+ mpg.

Maybe you guys need to buy proper British petrol?

K1200 GT SE - Dark Graphite
Old 02-16-2009, 02:03 PM
RidesLikeAFloridian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMKrider
I guess you guys are measuring your mileage in USA "gallons" whilst my mileage results are calculated in imperial gallons. So around town etc I get about 40 mpg but whilst touring, two up with full luggage I can easily get 50+ mpg.

Maybe you guys need to buy proper British petrol?

Or maybe you are very slow rider? Understand the LEO's in UK a lot tougher than here in the States????
Old 02-16-2009, 02:18 PM

LEO in the Uk are tough and it can be expensive but if you keep alert for hidden speed traps you're normally OK but the crowded roads around here don't give you too much opportunity to get too excited.

However, most of my touring is in mainland Europe and whilst it's still expensive if you get caught, around $140 for each offense, they have to catch you first as their speed cameras cannot cope with our UK registered plates! (YET!)

Strange isn't it that touring gives a higher mileage due, I guess, to not having to shift gear too often and deal with heavy traffic leading to an over use of the right wrist.

I'm planning to tour around California and Nevada next year so I'll have to keep a wary eye out for your LEO's otherwise I'll be helping reduced your national debt as well as the Uk one!

Old 02-16-2009, 02:23 PM
RidesLikeAFloridian

Quote:
LEO in the Uk are tough and it can be expensive but if you keep alert for hidden speed traps you're normally OK but the crowded roads around here don't give you too much opportunity to get too excited.

However, most of my touring is in mainland Europe and whilst it's still expensive if you get caught, around $140 for each offense, they have to catch you first as their speed cameras cannot cope with our UK registered plates! (YET!)

Strange isn't it that touring gives a higher mileage due, I guess, to not having to shift gear too often and deal with heavy traffic leading to an over use of the right wrist.

I'm planning to tour around California and Nevada next year so I'll have to keep a wary eye out for your LEO's otherwise I'll be helping reduced your national debt as well as the Uk one!

Be careful here, as in the UK and the rest of Europe I am sure, traffic fines are an important source of revenue and safety issues are minimal IMO. And while others may contend the the alleged mixing of ethanol has its effects, I think fuel mileage is most determined by the right hand/wrist. Having a passenger can discourage jack rabbit starts (American idiom for very rapid acceleration ), heck, that's why we ride these things, right?
Old 02-16-2009, 02:26 PM

Yep, a wack on the helmet by the pillion DOES discourage rapid movement in any direction!

Old 02-16-2009, 10:57 PM
Just Ride It

Quote:
I spent 4 years running around the UK and Europe. Some great memories there.

Ping us when you get over to the Colonies. We'd be glad to point you to the fun roads.
IBA# 366, MOA# 111996
Old 03-09-2009, 05:25 PM
(Moderator) My Life is a Blur

Send a message via Skype™ to Karlb

Im pulling down 36 and 37 MPG on her so far. But it sure is fun
Old 03-09-2009, 05:44 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlb
Im pulling down 36 and 37 MPG on her so far. But it sure is fun

You may, (don't say it!), be opening the throttle!
Old 03-10-2009, 05:26 AM
Entering the on-ramp

I noticed a month or so ago that the computer was giving me an average reading of 44mpg. A bit low for me... but bit stayed the same for a couple of weeks. I did a TPS, which of course also resets the reading etc. Since then it's been showing about 54mpg. Over all this period most of my riding has been commuting, so similar journeys, similar speeds etc. The yellow "fill up" has always come on at the same time, give or take 5 miles. where does a 20% (approx) change come from??
Old 03-12-2009, 08:08 AM
Site Contributor

Each time I fill up, I reset the trip meter, the average MPH, and the MPG settings on the computer. This gives me per-fillup values, which I record in a small book and later transcribe to a spreadsheet.

Does anyone know how the MPG computation works? Is it a "sliding window" or is it simply the miles ridden divided by the gallons consumed since the last reset?
Old 05-07-2009, 12:11 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Admittedly, I like to whack the throttle and while I [tend to] stay within the speed limits, I like getting there quickly. So my MPG (computer) on my '07 GT caught me by surprise as compared to my '07 R12GS Adv. The GT, using the bike's computer registers a consistent 42 MPG, over long distances at freeway+ speeds mixed with around town, while the best the R12GS Adv gets is about 38-39. To break 40 I have to be very serious about conserving fuel! Aerodynamics, more efficient torque/hp, just surprising to me that GT more fuel efficient!
Just turned over 50,000 on my GT 06, If I'm doing 65 or 85 my gas mileage stays the same, 44 MPG. Just came back from Richmond, Va. I left Okauchee, Wi 4:30 AM and arrived in Richmond, Va. 7:30 PM, 987 miles, 15 hours, same thing coming back. Did the Nascar races, great time.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:37 PM
The NEW 'Bonafied Bob'

Just wondering; What does most of you use to measure MPG?

Because the fuel gauge cannot measure the level of fuel in the tank; as soon as it tries to get a reading it changes the fuel level (see Heisenberg).

The same principle can be applied to the gauge itself, if you don't look at it, it will remain full.

The thing is the gauge is "trying" to be accurate, but being a digital thing in an analog world, it has to rely on other cues than actual fuel level to figure out what to display.

It starts by correctly reporting a full tank and figures it can get away with that for a while.

Then, it notices that you keep looking at it and figures that something's up with that; you, being an analog being must know better than it how much fuel you have left, and that has to be why you keep checking. This causes the gauge to decide that it should turn the top bar off.

By now the poor thing figures it's done its job and can rest a while, but you keep checking, and the more you check, the more the gauge feels that it should indicate a lower fuel level than the last time you checked.

Of course, the poor thing wouldn't suffer such anxiety if it were an analog gauge, it could simply move the needle a tiny immeasurable fraction od an amount and feel confident that it did its job.

As it is, the gauge reads the rider more than it reads the fuel tank. I have figured out how its mind works (I knew I was a psych major for a reason...once…but flunked out when I stop taking my meds), and it's fun to mess with the digital gauge.

Remember: the more you look at it; the closer to empty it reads.

I figured I had done really well when I managed to have it flash the fuel icon at me only one hour after filling it (I looked at the thing every 2 seconds), but I recently outdid myself: I looked at the gauge so much, that I managed to cause it to indicate empty BEFORE I had even filled it up...
Old 05-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Getting up to speed

Exclamation Re: K12GT Fuel Mileage Poll

`Everytime I fill up, gal divided by mileage will gve you what your looking for.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:02 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert J. Briere
`Everytime I fill up, gal divided by mileage will gve you what your looking for.
I think you have it inverted. My formula is:
(Cureent odometer - Previous odometer) / gallons at the pump

In other words, miles ridden divided by gallons added to fill the tank.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:52 AM
Getting up to speed

That is what happens when you ride all year in Wi or it could be the short days. You are right, just remember to set the trip after each fill up.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:30 PM
Site Contributor

I post a spreadsheet showing gas mileage and maintenance history each June. It includes mileage for each fill-up, as well as the OBC mileage readings.

The latest spreadsheet is at:

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13211 (Post #40)

There will be a 2009 version in a couple months.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:38 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
I think you have it inverted. My formula is:
(Cureent odometer - Previous odometer) / gallons at the pump

In other words, miles ridden divided by gallons added to fill the tank.

Correct.
I have been keeping records of all my bikes expenses along the years. K12GT 07 does better than K12RS98 in my case.
Typical refill distance, 400 km (249miles) plus or less 10 km, typical fuel to fill it to the neck, 23,5 liters (6,21 USG). That sums to just over 40 Miles/USG, in 8 to 20 deg C temperatures. It gets better in warm weather. (Air density and aerodynanic drag are lower). In all, K12GT has been the best for economy since my Honda 125 1969. It matches my Honda CB350 71, and is little better than my Hondas CB750 75 and 79 or even my K100LT88.
Regards
Charles-Henri Jacques
Old 05-22-2009, 12:48 PM
Getting up to speed

I've decided today that my computer is on drugs.

I rode 100 miles at 80mph most of the way on cruise, and the computer gave me a MPG of......... 58.6mpg

I want some of what it's on.......
Old 05-31-2009, 03:50 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I just did 1200 miles, 75% of which was interstate riding and the rest twisty mountain roads. I am generally a conservative rider and kept my '08 GT at the speed limit (70-75 mph). The bike was posting 51.1 mpg on the BC with a calculated average mileage of 48mpg for the whole trip. Of course, my mileage goes up whenever I get out of CA and use gas that isn't polluted with whatever crap CA adds to make it cost $0.70/gal more.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:45 PM
Ready Let's Go

My GT was hovering around 37 MPG when it was new, now with a couple of thousand miles on it it went up to 43MPG.
Iron Butt Association Member#49820
MOA Member #106320
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
2003 R1150RT Silver (sold)
Old 06-16-2009, 01:39 PM
Shooting the gap

Thought I'd throw in my two cents on this one. My 08GT manages about 44-45 riding two up and fairly loaded luggage as long as am reasonably civilized on the throttle. Like others here have said, it drops fast if driven hard. Wife usually gives a gentle slap to the side of helmet if I get out of hand with the throttle. I'm sure its only because she is riding along computing our fuel budget for the trip.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:36 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Has anyone considered altitude? I live in Reno and spend most of my time at 4600 feet in Reno or higher up in the mountains (6 to 8K feet). When flying a small plane you have to lean the mixture as you climb, I wonder if that explains part of it. Last weekend I did a 180 miles trip in the mountains doing twisty turneys, at least 50 percent of the time in 3rd or 4th gear at 4 to 6K rpms and averaged 53.4 mpg for the day.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:04 PM

I'm here in the UK and have recently acquired a new girlfriend. I am introducing her to the pleasures of motorcycling and she loves it!

As part of this introduction I am riding very very conservatively and rarely exceed 60 mph.

Last weekend we did 250 miles on the bike and at fill up it took 22 litres of the quoted 24 litre capacity. The computer had long gone past the "--- miles" left

This was riding up and down Welsh mountains and valleys so I think if I were to stick to 70 on the motorway I reckon we could get close to 300 ...

Last year, bored on a long stretch of French autoroute I sat at 70/80/90 mph and checked the OBC (imperial) MPG at each speed. It recorded 60/50/40 mpg if I recall correctly
Old 06-23-2010, 09:29 PM
Postmeister

my 1300GT / 09 is between 37-40 most of the time. I hot rod a bit now and again and it sees low 30's.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:56 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
I think it's the superior aerodynamics and more efficient cooling.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:21 AM
Entering the on-ramp

I have an app that I have been using on all my vehicles (Gas Cubby). I have logged 17 fill ups over 2128 miles at a average of 44.3mpg. The worst was 41mpg and the best was 48.6mpg. This was all with 2up riding full luggage and trunk.

2007 K1200GT (BEST ONE YET)
2006 ZX-14 (SOLD FOR THE GT)
2002 HONDA VTX1800C (SOLD)
1995 ZX-11 (SOLD-THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY)
1995 ZX-11 (TOTALED-YOUNG AND DUMB)
1984 CB450 (SOLD)
1992 CB250 NIGHTHAWK (SOLD)
1978 HONDA CT70
1985 YAMAHA YZ80
Old 05-21-2013, 02:41 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:

Wow! From reading some of the responses, I must really hit it. My riding is about 70/30 hwy/city. The highway that I ride to and from work has several stop lights on it. In any event, my mileage is only about 35mpg on my 2008 K1200GT. I don't see anyway I'd ever hit 48mpg!
Old 05-21-2013, 02:59 PM
interacting

So.....you are getting 35 mpg??? You don't say what kind of speeds and how quickly you accelerate. As you probably know, the devil is in the details. I have an '07 K1200GT. Cruising on the slab between 70-80 I get a consistent 42-44. In the mountains just lollygagging about at 60 to 70 this goes up to 46-50 mpg. Ripping around town with brisk acceleration 41-42 mpg. My mpg has never gone below 40 for an extended period (only while doing burnouts, and "what's your top speed" runs). I have never seen 35 mpg. If I did I might think it's time to consult the tune-up wizards at my local dealer.*******************Mdmn*********************
Old 06-23-2013, 03:33 PM
Getting up to speed

I just bought my K12GT and rode it back from Austin, TX. The trip was a little more than 1,100 miles total, all highway and cruising at 70-75 mph mostly. Some of the time in Texas the speed limit went up to 75, so I cranked it up to around 80 mph or so.

My on board computer tells me that I averaged 44+ mpg. My bike has a Remus Hexacone slip-on installed, so that may make it go down a bit from stock, don't know.

I for one am impressed that a bike this large can get that type of fuel mileage. My old bike (05 Triumph Sprint ST 1050) used to get about 45 mpg and it has one less piston.
Current miles: 9,600+
Remus Hexacone Silencer
BMW small top box with pad (that likes to fly away on it's own) - for the lady

Other Toys:
1987 Buick Grand National
2007 Trailblazer SS
Old 06-23-2013, 04:11 PM
interacting

I also have an '07 K1200GT. My average is usually between 44.1 and 46.1 at the speeds you indicated. Yes, BMW seems to be the only sport-touring platform that really strives for good gas mileage--and ACHIEVES IT! Kawasaki (C-14), Honda (whatever), Yamaha (JR), and all the others seem to be declining is gas mileage, while BMW steadily improves-especially the 800's. The K16's also get very good mileage, considering their size. Anything over 40-42 is better than the rest. Yammies and Kawa's seem to be mired in the mid-30's. Guzzies aren't all that great either at 38-39 mpg. Wings??..we won't go there!****My 2cents**********MdMn*
Old 08-30-2013, 01:37 AM
Getting up to speed

I mostly do in-town riding, with a bit of highway, and I am struggling to keep it above 34; any spirited riding whatsoever drops me down far enough that I have to pussyfoot around for the rest of the day to get back up over 34. On the times I've gone on longer highway trips, I seem able to keep it over 44mpg on the highway if I reset the counter beforehand; around-town riding really seems to kill the mileage on this bike.

If I ride the way I rode my F800S, I end up doing about 31, lol.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:19 PM
interacting

34 mpg on a 2nd gen. K1200GT would lead me to believe I had a problem. I've had mine for almost 7 years. In all kinds of riding, in many different locations, I have never gotten worse than 39 mpg. This is according to the on board computer, corroborated by math. I can't imagine how you are riding to get such poor mileage. As I stated in an earlier post, 44-46 is my general average--and I don't pussyfoot around.*******************MdMn*****
Old 08-30-2013, 11:04 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
34 mpg on a 2nd gen. K1200GT would lead me to believe I had a problem. I've had mine for almost 7 years. In all kinds of riding, in many different locations, I have never gotten worse than 39 mpg. This is according to the on board computer, corroborated by math. I can't imagine how you are riding to get such poor mileage. As I stated in an earlier post, 44-46 is my general average--and I don't pussyfoot around.*******************MdMn*****

Do you have an aftermarket exhaust on your bike? Mine had a Remus pipe already fitted when I bought her. If the BMS is countering for the increased airflow, it's probably adding extra fuel...which may partially explain why she seems to really hate idling.

Anymore, my right hand is the idle valve; I'm so used to it, it's practically a reflex to use my index finger and thumb to maintain idle while I squeeze the brake with the other three fingers, lol. I think the O2 sensor may have died as well, due to the backfiring...can't wait to get a Power Commander and airbox campaign done, but that needs to wait until my next commission check.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:43 PM

On my recent trip to Scotland on the tedious slog up the motorway I set the cruise control at the UK legal limit of 70 mph the OBC recorded 68.7 mpg for the 284 mile trip and easily did it on one tank. It reckoned I had 38 miles remaining, which from experience when that amount is showing on the guage has been accurate

86 R80RS Mono
03 R1100S BoxerCup Replika
07 K1200GT SE
14 F800GS
and an X3 3.0SD for suit days
Old 09-06-2013, 08:46 AM
interacting

No...I have stock exhaust. I have heard that a less restrictive aftmrkt like yours will increase fuel consumption. Bad O2 sensor could also, and lead to idle problems. It could be a combo of the exhaust and the sensor. Some exhaust kits come with a different chip to change the engine mapping to be more compatable with altered exhaust flow. You might want to check with Remus on that, and try to find out if your bike was re-calibrated for the different exhaust. Not having an idle is a real PIA.***************************MdMn*****
Old 09-06-2013, 10:57 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
No...I have stock exhaust. I have heard that a less restrictive aftmrkt like yours will increase fuel consumption. Bad O2 sensor could also, and lead to idle problems. It could be a combo of the exhaust and the sensor. Some exhaust kits come with a different chip to change the engine mapping to be more compatable with altered exhaust flow. You might want to check with Remus on that, and try to find out if your bike was re-calibrated for the different exhaust. Not having an idle is a real PIA.***************************MdMn*****

lol Yeah, I'm pretty sure my 02 sensor is toast; every time my 'street cannon' goes off, I imagine what that thing has been subjected to over the past month, in addition to however many miles the previous owner put on the exhaust. On the highway, I'm averaging 47, and I tend to stay just a bit below 90mph most of the time, so that isn't too bad, all things consideed.

I'll post the results and mileage changes when I get my hands on a PC3...which should be pretty soon.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:58 PM
Entering the on-ramp

My 07 GT, with just over 30k miles most often is in the 40-44 range; during some recent weekend country rides, and a couple trips down and up IS95 here in "Bawlmer" it has edged above 44 mpg. That was keeping it between 50-65 mph. Better than either of my two minivans, haha (tear).

TGTS (Thank God Tomorrow's Spring!)

Steve
Old 08-28-2014, 05:48 PM
Getting up to speed

Steady throttle at 75 I get about 50 MPG.....back country riding about 47-48
Old 09-02-2014, 08:51 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Most everyone seems to be getting decent mileage compared to me - I'm only averaging 34 mpg for combined cty / hwy...my Diesel Jetta gets better mileage (see my Fuelly page for stats - Car901). 45k miles, valves were shimmed / adjusted in February. I do tend to use low rpm's (3 - 4k) however. What to look for?
Old 09-02-2014, 09:02 PM
interacting

No idea......all I can tell you is you're getting about 10 mpg worse than my '07 with 78K on it. Wish I could be of more help!**********************************MdMn*********
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'mudman' for this post:
Old 09-03-2014, 06:50 AM
Getting up to speed

Went for a 500km (about 300 miles) ride today. Averaged 5.4 litres/100 km on the first fill and 5.6 litres/100 km on the second. That equates to 52mpg on the first and 50 mpg on the second but then there is 4.55 litres to the gallon over here as opposed to the 4 litres to the gallon in the USA. I am very pleased with this. Most cruising at 130 to 140 kph. Some heavy braking when I saw a very multi-coloured car that usually means trouble for my licence. Open road speed limit is 100 kph (61 mph).

Regards

Garry

2007 K1200 GT SE - Road cruiser
1994 R100 GSPD - Any road cruiser
Old 09-04-2014, 01:09 PM
Getting up to speed

I have 47k on my '07 K1200 GT and regularly get 40mpg and am amazed to hear of some of getting 50mpg -- I still can't keep from getting 'happy handed' with the throttle!

Too much fun!