I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S/R" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S/R" Technical Q&A K1200S/R Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 10-16-2012, 03:44 AM
Getting up to speed

Send a message via Yahoo to Bimmered
Re: K1300S Noise, Rattle & Vibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc
It seems to me the smaller inner diameter is all that's really needed to correct the rattle, no? I'd be afraid to run a thicker washer, especially under warranty. You do not want it rubbing hard against another gear. Since I wear earplugs, I'm leaving mine alone. Especially since I didn't read about the fix when I had the cover off for the chain jump guard.
Well from my understanding it's not the thickness you have to be concerned about, it's the inner diameter that has to be right (9.8mm) and there is a small discussion here about the outer diameter: some choose to stay with the 40mm size that BMW provides, some with smaller 20mm or less. The thickness has to be 1.6mm
Old 10-18-2012, 02:47 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmered
Well from my understanding it's not the thickness you have to be concerned about, it's the inner diameter that has to be right (9.8mm) and there is a small discussion here about the outer diameter: some choose to stay with the 40mm size that BMW provides, some with smaller 20mm or less. The thickness has to be 1.6mm

That about sums it up..
Old 10-18-2012, 11:09 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfoggy
That about sums it up..
Yeeey ty for confirming my understanding...

Now how the f should i convince the dealer to do this job (i have 0 experience as a mechanic) without having him bust my warranty.

He said we can do this but it's on you if shit goes wrong.

I said hey but it's wrong now as you sold it and you still ain't got any response from BMW mothership after you filed the PUMA case.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:53 AM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Yeeey ty for confirming my understanding...

Now how the f should i convince the dealer to do this job (i have 0 experience as a mechanic) without having him bust my warranty.

He said we can do this but it's on you if shit goes wrong.

I said hey but it's wrong now as you sold it and you still ain't got any response from BMW mothership after you filed the PUMA case.

If only we knew why BMW is using the washer with the seemingly wrong inner diameter in the first place! Aside from being noisy at certain revs, it doesn't do any harm but still... WHY?!
Old 10-22-2012, 04:57 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by henkpenk
If only we knew why BMW is using the washer with the seemingly wrong inner diameter in the first place! Aside from being noisy at certain revs, it doesn't do any harm but still... WHY?!
Hmmm this is also my dilemma...

And to make it even more confusing, if the washer is a standard size that BMW uses (and it is) then why some models of the K13 family have the issue and others don't? Shouldn't all have the issue considering all the other things equal?

Like Tarmac here said he didn't have the issue on his previous K13s ! How come?
Old 10-22-2012, 09:33 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:

And to make it even more confusing, if the washer is a standard size that BMW uses (and it is) then why some models of the K13 family have the issue and others don't? Shouldn't all have the issue considering all the other things equal?

Lots of reasons some bikes may rattle more than others e.g.

Specification of engine oil used
Dimension of the components - will vary from bike to bike within a tolerance range
Rider perception and riding conditions. How good your hearing is !
Old 10-22-2012, 09:48 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfoggy
Lots of reasons some bikes may rattle more than others e.g.

Specification of engine oil used
Dimension of the components - will vary from bike to bike within a tolerance range
Rider perception and riding conditions. How good your hearing is !

Yes but what about others that claim no noise whatsoever. Our fellow forum member Tarmac reported that he never heard anything on his previous K13. Same guy, same bike model, probably same year and yet totally different experience.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:46 PM
Twisted Wrister

I'm not an engineer but as I understand the concept there is a situation called error stacking. The assumption in building any complex device is that there will be enough plus errors in the assembly to counter the minus errors. The problems surface on those rare occasions when the plus errors or minus errors all stack in the same direction. Possibly, the problem in these cycles occurs when the shaft is at the small limit of tolerance and the installed washer ID is on the large side of the tolerance and the small side of the thickness tolerance. This might be why some cycles have a problem and others don't. Just a thought.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:00 PM
Can assemble bike blindfolded

Quote:
Originally Posted by henkpenk
Aside from being noisy at certain revs, it doesn't do any harm but still... WHY?!
Sometimes there's a reason. Sometimes engineers screw up. Many of us are what's considered 'anal' . But each of us to a different degree on different issues. This issue doesn't really bother me enough to do something about it. At least in my case, I don't hear it due to earplugs, but I certainly FEEL it. It feels like something's grinding, especially on deceleration, at certain rpm. It could also very well be the source of some of the engine vibration that puts my hands to sleep. What's certain is ALL bikes have the issue, but as it was said, it's manifested in different ways due to tolerances, and riding equipment/gear. Somebody who rides with a tall windscreen and no earplugs, will definitely hear A LOT more crap than me, with a low windscreen and earplugs. One thing is for sure: these bikes are pretty darn noisy to begin with. The few times I've ridden it without earplugs for a block or two, I thought pistons were about to come out the exhaust . Well, not that bad, but I quickly forget how noisy it is, especially now with the Remus, even though it has the dB killer. The good news about the Remus is if my bike also makes that noise, nobody hears it now... only beautiful engine music instead . Good day folks.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:01 AM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:

In my opinion the washer itself is not the original source of the vibrations that makes it rattle. It starts with the alternator, presumably the rubber coupling. So it depends on how that part behaves at certain revs.
It is always hard to tell when and where vibrations start and at what frequency they occur, specially in an assembly full of fast spinning parts like an engineblock. They can amplify each other or they can stay just out of tune. Lots of often little things can influence the dynamics. I think that's why in some cases the washer starts rattling and in other bikes things stay quiet.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:44 AM
Getting up to speed

You guys need to see the alternator freewheel mechanism to understand why I believe it is the source of the vibration. The outer diameter of the washer is there to align the freewheel gear with the starter idler gear. This is because the freewheel gear mechanism allows for some axial movement that would result in less than perfect gear mesh with the starter idler gear. The over sized inner diameter of the washer allows the washer to vibrate on the idler gear shaft. The vibration from the alternator freewheel gear in turn vibrates the washer (because its resting against the freewheel gear). The vibrating washer is the source of the noise most of us hear. Once the washer is replaced the rattling noise is gone. However, the alternator freewheel mechanism vibration (3-4K) is still there, it's just less noticeable without the noisy washer. I have no idea why the inner diameter of the washer is a sloppy fit. Also, it seems that there is variability in how noisy the freewheel assembly is as some are noisier than others. I had planned on replacing the freewheel mechanism in mine and bought the new assembly earlier this year but I never got around to it (right now it's a $550 paper weight).

-Tarmac

Old 10-23-2012, 07:13 PM
Shooting the gap

Tarmac, in one of your posts you mentioned that the freewheel gear had 2-3 mm of axial play. Do you think it needs that much play for it to work properly or could the tolerances be tightened up and still be able to work correctly. I really can't tell from the pics. Thanks again.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:29 PM
Getting up to speed

The play is between the 2 halves of the freewheel assembly. If you look at the picture in my previous post you can see the spring loaded pawls that allow the tensioning gear to rotate in only one direction. So when the engine is running the tensioning gear is being driven by the clutch basket but the starter idler gear only turns when the starter is actuated. When the assembly is out of the engine its not too difficult to pull the 2 pieces apart as the only thing holding them together is the spring tension of the pawls. When its installed in the engine one end of the shaft is pressed into the alternator mount and the other end sits in a recess in the engine case. Once installed there is some axial play of the tensioning gear. It's inherent to the freewheel design. I suppose if the recess in the engine case that accepts the tensioning gear side of the shaft was not as deep it would limit the amount of axial movement.

FYI - the pin sticking out of the tensioning gear is used to make clutch basket installation easier. You pull it out once the clutch basket is installed.

-Tarmac

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'tarmac' for this post:
Old 10-31-2012, 09:08 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

tarmac -

Did you ever figure out a correlation between the washer replacement and your starting problems? I just picked up a new K1200S last night, and had to push it home. Stalled coming into my complex, and when I hit the starter I got a half-crank and then the starter stalled, just like a dying battery without enough amps. Went out a couple of hours later and got a typical quick cranking start, but the half-crank has recurred a couple of times today already. I don't see how it would be related unless that washer is getting jammed into the gears, which should be impossible.

Great feeling to drop $18K on a new bike and get to push it home. I have the 3.5-4.5K vibration and rattle as well.

KeS
Old 11-02-2012, 01:51 AM
Can assemble bike blindfolded

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_stevens
I just picked up a new K1200S last night, and had to push it home.
You meant K1300S right?
Anyway, you have a different issue. That washer only adds a little vibration, that's all. Something is amiss. What's the build-date on that bike? I'd start with the battery, and go from there. Fully charge it, and see what happens. Get it replaced under warranty if needed. If problem reoccurs, it's something else. Sad to hear of such problems on a 4-yr-old model, but s&it happens. Good luck man.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:15 AM
Getting up to speed

KeS,

I can't say I did find any definite correlation but mine did the exact same thing your describing. When it was cold it would start without any problems but once the engine was hot it had trouble starting. This still happened even after I installed a new battery. As I mentioned before, it stopped doing this when I changed the washer. Coincidence? I was thinking that the over sized washer was somehow expanding when hot and binding the gears but I can't really see how this could happen.

-Tarmac
Old 11-04-2012, 10:52 PM
Shooting the gap

Has anyone experienced a sometimes loud rattle when starting the machine cold? in colder seasonal weather, I sometimes get a loud rattle on first morning start in 0 to 10 degrees celsius. The bike still starts no problem - i did the "washer" fix and it made a great difference. Has anyone done a post-retrofit verification to see if wear and tear of this fix has any wear or incidental impacts? can this sound be related to the fix? probably not, but interested in opinions and thought it would be worth mentioning.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:53 AM
Twisted Wrister

Moderator, please remove this reply.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:10 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticlife
Has anyone experienced a sometimes loud rattle when starting the machine cold? in colder seasonal weather, I sometimes get a loud rattle on first morning start in 0 to 10 degrees celsius. The bike still starts no problem - i did the "washer" fix and it made a great difference. Has anyone done a post-retrofit verification to see if wear and tear of this fix has any wear or incidental impacts? can this sound be related to the fix? probably not, but interested in opinions and thought it would be worth mentioning.
Can u be more explicit? What rattle are u talking about?

Does it occur only on idle in Neutral or it exists with gear engaged and clutch pulled? Does it rattle on idle or also on higher revs?
Old 11-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticlife

I think the startup noise you are describing is the cam chain tensioner, especially if the noise goes away after about 10 seconds. I had this issue on my K1200s, I finally replaced the stock tensioner with an APE manual tensioner. Noise problem solved.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:58 PM
Shooting the gap

Thanks Vchoq - the sound does go away in a few seconds and only happens on cold start - the stock cam tensioner makes sense. As long as no damage or problem exists, then I can live with it. Since I did the "washer" fix (and very happy I did), I also wanted to get a sense or opinions if this was related or not.

Cheers! Pierre
Old 03-10-2013, 11:05 PM
Cycle Therapist

This problem has been around since 2005. . ., (K1200S)

And there are pages and pages of threads describing many different solutions . . .,

Has a definative resolution been found ? And if so what is it ???
Old 03-15-2013, 02:19 PM
Cycle Therapist

I'm not trying to get too technical, but the techniques used to determine sourse of engine noise seems a little antiquated given the available technology.

I am presently building a database of definable engine noises, using my smart phone
voice recorder and frequency / amplitude analytical software available on the internet.

So far the data is limited and results are not always conclusive, but its accuracy is expected to improve with increased sampling and some some refinements.

Let me know if you think this methodology has merit and I'll be glad to share future results.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:30 PM
Cycle Therapist

Has anyone had a BMW dealership perform any of the modifications mentioned previously :

1. Chain Guard
2.Spacer / Washer
3. Clutch Basket
4. Etc.

If so . . ., What was the cost and how receptive were they?? - AND - How familiar were they with the procedures??

No problems yet . . ., just planning ahead.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:52 PM
Shooting the gap

The dealer did the washer/spacer on my 2011 K1300s but I assisted on the job and provided an edited set of instructions based on the great efforts by Tarmac and others like Mmerlin, etc. on this forum.

Can't say on the cost as my bike was under warranty - but it took about 2 hours because we had to customize a washer on the spot and I wanted an extended test drive. If you have the washer ready to go, I would estimate that it can be done in half that time - I had access to an experienced and collaborative BMW mechanic.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'arcticlife' for this post:
Old 05-13-2013, 03:30 AM
Getting up to speed

I have a new 2013 k1300r and I have this same crappy buzzing vibration between 3000-4000.
On an otherwise flawless bike, this is a truly annoying.
Currently in negotiation with the dealership who are "asking for permission" from the mothership to do some fixes.

They did however admit they know of the problem, but say they "all make that noise" - what a crock. And that " it doesn't do any harm".
I said to them it does me plenty of harm spending so much cash and having to listen to that sound.

Gave an analogy - "It sort of like having a new supermodel girlfriend, truly sublime - BUT you find out she has herpes... In the big scheme of things it doesn't affect her performance and it certainly wont kill her - BUT it is always on you mind when you are riding and it will reduce the enjoyment!

I'll give an update when I have one.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:04 AM
Shooting the gap

This buzzing vibration all but disappeared on my 2012 SE after I removed the exhaust butterfly blocked the pairing valve and installed the power commander. I can't say wether it was any one mod or the combination of all that made the difference.
I'll be picking up my new R in a few weeks so it will be interesting to compare the difference, although I do intend to do the butterfly removal, block the valve and do the power commander install straight away.
1986 Moto Guzzi LeMans 1000 since new.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:01 AM
Getting up to speed

Hi my k13 runs without any noise when it's cold ,but totally different story when its hot.I took my bike to BMW technical for inspection since my local dealer can't or won't or totally lacks the ability to fix the grinding noise at 2500 to 1100 rpm.I'm waiting for there report,and will let you all know the outcome.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:08 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Hi there,

Is there anyone, who has saved the pics provided by tarmac? The links are no longer working.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Dscho
Old 08-21-2013, 09:33 AM
Getting up to speed

Hi i have only a few pics.sorry...Thanks Tarmac for the pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg basket tool 006 copy bmw.jpg (319.9 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg bmw k.jpg (221.4 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg Clutch cage tool bmw.jpg (342.8 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg clutch cover_off bmw.jpg (364.1 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg crank pin 005 copy.jpg (245.7 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg eccentric.jpg (277.6 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg gear out.jpg (190.5 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg gear shaft.jpg (136.2 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg starter idler.jpg (318.1 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg tension gear.jpg (246.0 KB, 192 views)
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Dirk C' for this post:
Old 08-21-2013, 09:38 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Wow, that was quick. Thanks Dirk.
If someone has any further or missing pics, please post them as well.
Thanks,
Dscho
Old 08-22-2013, 01:24 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by double.d
This buzzing vibration all but disappeared on my 2012 SE after I removed the exhaust butterfly blocked the pairing valve and installed the power commander. I can't say wether it was any one mod or the combination of all that made the difference.
I'll be picking up my new R in a few weeks so it will be interesting to compare the difference, although I do intend to do the butterfly removal, block the valve and do the power commander install straight away.

I didn't do any of the mods i said i was going to do because the 2013 R runs better with just a pipe, DNA filter and booster plug than the 2012 with all the mods and PCV.
1986 Moto Guzzi LeMans 1000 since new.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:42 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by double.d
I didn't do any of the mods i said i was going to do because the 2013 R runs better with just a pipe, DNA filter and booster plug than the 2012 with all the mods and PCV.

Holy crap that Booster Plug looks freaking awesome. It even works with Closed Loop so I can leave my O2 sensor in! Sweet!
Old 08-23-2013, 03:44 AM
Getting up to speed

I put together a fairly comprehensive compilation of this issue which you can check out here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...placement.html

I no longer hear the buzz since I bought the akra pipe - rather expensive fix! But I know the bastard is still there!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'juuce' for this post:
Old 08-23-2013, 09:04 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Thanks juuce, great job.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:26 AM
Twisted Wrister

Any chance of getting the part number for the Snap-on puller and tip shown in the photos. There is one number visible but I'm not sure that is for the puller assembly or just that component of it. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:13 AM
Twisted Wrister

Check post nr. 119 from Mrmerlin. He changed the washer without removing the clutch. That saves a lot of work and money spent on special tool.
If you are planning to remove the clutch, forget the soft aluminum crank blocking tool. It is of no use for this job.
Also it is not nescessary to remove the starter and/or generator.
Instead of the expensive Snap-on puller a simple expanding wall anchor of the correct size can be used. I do not know the correct English word for it, but I used one with three metal segments and a bolt in the centre. Make it expand in the hollow shaft (as lightly as possible) then put a Vise-Grip at the end and tap it ever so gently with a small hammer outwards away from the crankcase. The idler shaft just has a good fit and it feels like it is mostly the "stickyness" of the oil film between shaft and crankcase that keeps it in place.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:48 PM
Aussie Moderator
Thanked 5,005 Times in 2,036 Posts

Thought I would add to this thread from my K1300r experience. My distances are in kilometres!
Yes there was a definite engine buzz between 3000 - 4000rpm when I got the bike, more on deceleration. I had read about it here, but didn't really pick it up during the test rides.
I have now done 7,500km, 85% commuting and the rest some weekend blasts/cruize.
I just got back from a 500km ride to the hunter valley, most of it on the freeway (I think you yanks call it the slab?) and I did the first round of taking pillions during my stay in the hunter valley, giving 2 aunties and the mother-in-law a nice little joy ride each.
On the way back I have finally noticed how much the engine noise has settled down, and how beautifully smooth this bike is on the freeway at 110km/h in 6th.
Anyway, I haven't done anything to get rid of the noise except keep riding, but I must say after a few hell rides, some freeway, and some 2 up riding, as well as the 7,500 total Km's, I think that contributed to a smoother sounding and running motor.
Hope this is positive info for a potential k1300r or k1300s buyer, or a disheartened new owner who is pissed off with the noise.

Cheers
KiwiMat

K1300S - 2011 Blue - 30,300km
R.I.P. - K1300R 2013 Red - 70,000km
Old 10-02-2013, 10:39 AM
Entering the on-ramp

I am posting this reply to help out, as this thread has done for me. I live in the NETHERLANDS and my BMW dealer is ARIE MOLENAAR.

I bought a new K1300R last year, and after a 1000km I started to notice this horrible sound between 3000 / 3500 rpm's. After another 3000 km, I couldn't take it anymore and went to my BMW dealer. I explained the problem, and told him that I was not the only one with this issue. I sent him this thread to read and he told me to bring the bike so he could have a look at it.

Just got the bike back, it was this stupid ring that is too big. He fixed it, now I have a BMW K1300R. Wohaaaaa!

Thanks you A. Molenaar!!!
Old 10-02-2013, 06:04 PM
BMW K1300R

Have a k1300r 12 model,,had the k1200r earlier with the big stumbing problem in the lower rpms between 2300 - 3700 made me insane,,,,the dealer Always said it runs like this,,,fuckin crap. Thought BMW would recognise themselvs as a superb manufacturer of hi Tech Machines and not fix a problem so great. have good earplugs and the bike have been runnin 20000 km perhaps i will listen in on my darling to hear if shes ok.

Get back to yaaaaaaaaaaaaa allllll
Old 02-20-2014, 07:16 AM
Getting up to speed

I am very happy to see this topic and the solutions. I just bought a 2012 Bmw k1300s hp and there is that annoying vibration and also very jerky throttle at 2500-3500.

I bought a booster plug and now I will also make this solution.

Is there any other recall for 2012 bikes ?
Old 02-20-2014, 07:21 AM
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tancakar
I am very happy to see this topic and the solutions. I just bought a 2012 Bmw k1300s hp and there is that annoying vibration and also very jerky throttle at 2500-3500.

I bought a booster plug and now I will also make this solution.

Is there any other recall for 2012 bikes ?
Hi Tan, welcome

Could be some recall for your bike, better if you go to the nearest dealer and ask for that with her VIN number
Old 02-20-2014, 05:49 PM
Twisted Wrister

Rear suspension part. Jump guard. Fuel quick disconnect (not transmitted to dealers yet). ECU flash update.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:52 AM
Getting up to speed

I had my bike sorted under warranty.! No more rattle ! And the buzz is disappeared as well. I still might need to install booster plug for traffic issues even though the bike behaves a lot better. I also had my left buttons changed under warranty. The hot start issue been sorted under warranty. I am a lot happier with her!

2012 bmw k1300s hp. #56

There she is

Old 03-13-2014, 11:19 AM
Getting up to speed

How did they fix your buzz and rattle? What was wrong with your left controls?

~Bill
Old 03-13-2014, 11:51 AM
Site Contributor

please add as much detail as possible as to how the repairs were effected?
Thanks

Stan
Philly PA USA
Old 03-13-2014, 05:44 PM
Getting up to speed

well i mention them about this washer changing thing but i am not sure what did they really do. the bike seem to be smoother. they are like a close box in London , they told me the head engineer looked at it.
about the left buttons my bikes ESA wasn't working ! the service says we need to change the left buttons and they did it under warranty.

they keep my bike for a 1.5 day and didn't charge me a penny. Although they gave me a loan bike 2014 800GT and i pay 18£ for it.

anyway i will let you guys know if i will get the problem back or it will stay like this.

currently got 10200 miles on my bike!
Old 03-13-2014, 09:31 PM
Living the Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tancakar
well i mention them about this washer changing thing but i am not sure what did they really do. the bike seem to be smoother. they are like a close box in London , they told me the head engineer looked at it.
about the left buttons my bikes ESA wasn't working ! the service says we need to change the left buttons and they did it under warranty.

they keep my bike for a 1.5 day and didn't charge me a penny. Although they gave me a loan bike 2014 800GT and i pay 18£ for it.

anyway i will let you guys know if i will get the problem back or it will stay like this.

currently got 10200 miles on my bike!

I can not see them doing the washer fix under warranty, they must have fixed some other problem if it is running smoother.

Or it could be as simple as it is running richer than you are used to because it is cold outside and the ambient air has more dissolved oxygen in it. (Mother Nature's equivalent to the booster plug)
Old 03-18-2014, 05:16 PM
Getting up to speed

hi guys I used the bike for 200 miles and here is the report !

no the problem isn't fixed ! there is still buzz on the bars. my bike running smoother but thats all about it. i cant say there is any noise or any unwanted sound.

i think they didn't change my washer it looks like they don't believe it is the problem well its going to be my work to change the bloody thing myself.

just in between 3500-4000 rpm and then 6000-7000 rpm there is annoying buzz which makes your hand get funny.

Just a question though

IS ANYONE TRY TO RE TORQUE ENGINE MOUNTINGS ?

if the engine mountings are not in correct torque or over torqued it can create this buzz.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:32 PM
Twisted Wrister

I think ELPJr (not sure of his forum name) did the retorque and found several loose according to his post.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:54 AM
Getting up to speed

Yesterday I install the booster plug I want the bike to be more smooth at traffic . I will report here . Also I am hoping this will get the vibration down when you decrese the throttle.
The buzz in between 3500-4000 rpm isn't nice
Old 03-20-2014, 02:45 PM
Getting up to speed

Nope after the booster plug install the bike still got vibration however faster and better in traffic.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:02 PM
Entering the on-ramp

We bought 2 identical brand new k1300s bikes, and found out the same vibrations in it. On one of the bikes the engine was swapped under warranty, little better but still vibrating in higher revs.
We remapped the lamda value ehich improved the performance, but the vibration is still there. The rattling is unknown to us.
Also the fuel injectors were changed which improved it a little. I am really pissed about such a claimed quality bike having this issue.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:52 PM
Shooting the gap

IF the dealer does not do it, how hard is it to do the washer fix ?
One post says no need to remove clutch.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:58 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:

why would you need washer if thinkness was not the issue. It is basically there to maintain a gap . Ain't it ?
Old 09-08-2014, 04:29 PM
Entering the on-ramp

well, we were tired of BMW sending us from wall to wall.
We found a report about vibration problems on the k1300s on www.ricardo.com. It seems that the design of the clutch is rubbish.
We bought a brand new clutch and replaced it, this eliminated 75% of the vibrations. We took the origional clutch a part and it was full with play, corroded and rusted on the slide fittings of the outer drive bowl. The springs of the anti-torsional clutch were grinded with some flat spots after 4500 km.
Search in google for Ricardo BMW K1300s and find out the truth and chase your dealer down.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'lemmer' for this post:
Old 09-08-2014, 11:16 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashu
why would you need washer if thinkness was not the issue. It is basically there to maintain a gap . Ain't it ?

The thickness was not as big of an issue because most of the washers are close enough but the big issue was that the larger inside diameter was allowing the washer to rattle and sometimes bind the starter gear. That's why many went to the smaller O.D.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:25 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmer
well, we were tired of BMW sending us from wall to wall.
We found a report about vibration problems on the k1300s on www.ricardo.com. It seems that the design of the clutch is rubbish.
We bought a brand new clutch and replaced it, this eliminated 75% of the vibrations. We took the origional clutch a part and it was full with play, corroded and rusted on the slide fittings of the outer drive bowl. The springs of the anti-torsional clutch were grinded with some flat spots after 4500 km.
Search in google for Ricardo BMW K1300s and find out the truth and chase your dealer down.

The clutch basket is crap. When I took mine off there were ridges in the tangs of the outer basket. This compromised the shifting quality because the plates would stick on them instead of fully releasing. The metal is very soft and weak. You can tell it was a cost cutting measure. I'd like to see if I could get a steel one made and have it Nitrided. (yeah, I know about the rotational inertia bit, but for my riding it wouldn't matter)

I also think that some of the vibrations that we feel are related to the mounting of the ABS modulator. It's rubber mounted on the transmission case and I think some of the vibration that I feel is related to it oscillating on those mounts.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:53 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Forget about the washer, it was already modified on these 2012 models, no axial movement.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'lemmer' for this post:
Old 09-09-2014, 11:07 AM
Shooting the gap

will be taking in to my dealer this week for 2nd opinion