I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200GT-Slant 4 Version > "K12GT" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12GT" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 09-11-2010, 12:47 AM
2013 Member of the Year

Quality aftermarket K1200GT brake pads

Brake pads for the K1200GT (slant-4 version) have long been a contentious issue. Many GT owners have been looking for quality aftermarket pads in order to avoid the truly-obscene price that BMW charges for replacement pads (about $500US for a set of 3 pairs of pads!). The problem is that the K1200GT came with pad wear sensors that fitted to the front right calipers and also to the rear calipers as well.

The sensors require a special pad design used only on this bike. To make things worse, the sensors have proven to be so unreliable, that BMW deleted them on the K1300GT!

EBC makes a repacement pad set, but it is only available in their "HH" sintered pad material, which many have reported to cause excessive rotor wear, and noise. Worse, is that EBC front and rear pads use the identical "HH" sintered material, which causes problems at the rear. Genuine BMW pads are intentionally designed to have less friction at the rear than at the front (the front pads are sintered and the rear ones are intentionally organic). EBC's use of the same pad front and rear, can upset the ABS balance and cause premature locking of the rear wheel.

Recently I found a better alternative.

SBS (a large European brake pad manufacturer) offers pads to fit the K1200GT! Their website is.... http://www.sbs.dk

Their online catalogue has an error, however.... it makes no reference to the K1200GT rear pads. I recently emailed SBS and they stated the following correction....

- SBS pad number "SBS 796HS" fits both left and right calipers on the '05 to '08 K1200GT.

- SBS pad number "SBS 671LS" fits the rear calipers of this bike.

Note the following:

- The "HS" front pad material is sintered (like the stock BMW pads are), but is claimed to be rotor-friendly.

- The "LS" rear pad material is specially designed for rear pads only and (like the OEM pads) has intentionally reduced friction coefficient, in order to be compatible with BMW's ABS operation.

- As can be seen from the above, SBS does NOT take a "one material type fits all" approach to their pads.

BRAKE WEAR SENSORS

The above pads cannot fit the brake wear sensor. Many of you have already disconnected and shorted out your brake sensors because they have proven to be unreliable. You will need to do this if SBS pads are fitted.

- If your brake sensors are still functioning (i.e. have not been worn through), simply remove them from the old pads and tie them out or the way with a tie wrap.

- If one or both sensor is worn through and is causing a brake pad warning, you will need to solder the two ends of the sensor wire back together again and insulate with a small blob of silicone, before tying out of the way.

- With no brake sensors, you will need to manually check pad thickness from time to time. This is easy since both front and rear pads are easily visible..... a 2 minute job!

So where can you get SBS pads?

For info on your closest dealer or internet store, call or email one of these SBS distributors (or look at the "nearest dealer" list on their website)....

USA: Parts Unlimited www.parts-unlimited.com

Canada: Motovan www.motovan.com and Steen Hansens www.shr.bz

No more "Vancouver.... the Blond Bimbo of Cities" for me
.... moved to Kelowna BC in the beautiful wine country of the Okanagan Valley.

- '08 K1200GT, metallic charcoal/silver
- '86 K100RT, Diamantgrau Metallic (great old girl!).

Last edited by locus : 09-15-2010 at 07:02 PM. Reason: made post 'sticky'
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'RFW' for this post:
Old 09-14-2010, 02:54 PM
Site Contributor

Cool Re: Quality aftermarket K1200GT brake pads

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the excellent information. I did find several suppliers to order the pads from in the USA however their number for the rear pads is SBS 671LS-PU. Do you know if that is the same pad as SBS 671LS?
Old 09-14-2010, 04:11 PM
2013 Member of the Year

Re: Quality aftermarket K1200GT brake pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeaholic
Hi Bob,
Thanks for the excellent information. I did find several suppliers to order the pads from in the USA however their number for the rear pads is SBS 671LS-PU. Do you know if that is the same pad as SBS 671LS?
Strange! The additional "PU" designation is found nowhere in the maufacturer's data, so I am not sure what the significance is. Since the main part of the part number ("SBS 671LS") is the same, I am sure this must be the right part.

My contact at the factory is Christina Fisch-Thomsen .... cft@sbs.dk ...., so you might send her an email. I have found her to be very helpful.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:36 PM
interacting

Great information!! Fortunately my dealer is also a distributor for these pads. I guess they got so many complaints about the BMW pad's exorbitant cost they went with the SBS pads as an alternative. Nice to have a dealer that will do that, not just toe the "company line".************************************************MdMn** ********
Old 09-15-2010, 03:06 AM
2013 Member of the Year

Mudman, great that you found a dealer who carries the pads! Are your brake sensor wires still intact, or will you have to solder the ends back together again?

Old 09-15-2010, 06:28 AM
interacting

Wires are still intact, but you know something...even with the sensors you still have to visually inspect the pads to know what's up with wear and when they may have to be replaced. The sensors really don't do anything for you--plus the fact that they are prone to false positives if they break. All in all pretty useless. I may just solder them anyway. As far as the dealer is concrned it's Morton's BMW in VA. I didn't have to find them, they've been my dealer for over 20 yrs.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:59 PM
2013 Member of the Year

You're right about still needing to visually inspect the pads from time to time, even though the sensors are there. It is still possible for the pad on the opposite side from the sensor to wear faster and cause damage, even though the sensor has not sent an alarm to the LCD. I had the same sort of sensor on my old 1982 BMW 320i, and it was not reliable either.

To add insult to injury, until about 2006, you could not reset the LCD brake wear warning, even when you replaced the wear sensor! Until the latest GS911 software revision that added a reset function, you had to take the bike to the dealer and have him connect it to BMW's computer in order to reset it!

On 2007 and 2008 GTs, BMW made a change so that you can reset the brake warning by riding at a speed faster than 50 km/hr, and applying the brakes 3 times in succession. But you still have to wonder why they made such a simple thing, so complicated!

Old 09-15-2010, 02:32 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFW
Strange! The additional "PU" designation is found nowhere in the maufacturer's data, so I am not sure what the significance is. Since the main part of the part number ("SBS 671LS") is the same, I am sure this must be the right part.

My contact at the factory is Christina Fisch-Thomsen .... cft@sbs.dk ...., so you might send her an email. I have found her to be very helpful.

Bob and All,
I heard back from Christina and the PU suffix stands for "Parts Unlimited." So the numbers you posted are correct, in other words SBS 671LS is the same as SBS 671LS-PU.
Thanks again for this information as it will save a lot of us a bunch of money.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:06 PM
2013 Member of the Year

Quote:
Bob and All,
I heard back from Christina and the PU suffix stands for "Parts Unlimited." So the numbers you posted are correct, in other words SBS 671LS is the same as SBS 671LS-PU.
Thanks again for this information as it will save a lot of us a bunch of money.
Thanks for checking with Christina at Scandanavian Brake Systems on this! She certainly returned your email in prompt fashion!I had similarly fast replies from her. This is a sign of a well managed company that takes its customers seriously, I think.

I'm really glad that my search for sensibly priced, yet quality engineered GT brake pads has helped others.

Hopefully this will not only save GT riders a "bunch of money", but it will also save us from excess rotor wear, if we had to use the only other alternative, namely EBC's pads that are only available in the relatively abrasive (and noisy) "HH" pad material.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:57 PM
Site Contributor

Folks,
I have ordered the pads from www.powersportsuperstore.com they were priced as follows:
1 set of SBS 671LS-PU $30.00
2 sets of SBS 796HS $29.12 each for a total of $58.24
Supersaver Shipping 3-5 business days = $12.49
No sales tax
Grand Total = $100.73

I will report back when they come in and I install them.
Thanks again Bob for this tip.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:18 PM
2013 Member of the Year

Quote:
Folks,
I have ordered the pads from www.powersportsuperstore.com they were priced as follows:
1 set of SBS 671LS-PU $30.00
2 sets of SBS 796HS $29.12 each for a total of $58.24
Supersaver Shipping 3-5 business days = $12.49
No sales tax
Grand Total = $100.73

I will report back when they come in and I install them.
Thanks again Bob for this tip.
Glad to have helped out!

That is one heluva saving compared to the $500 or so that they cost from BMW!

Old 09-16-2010, 04:40 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

For the UK riders here, I asked my dealers, Williams BMW Manchester for replacement of all the pads etc

"Hi Steve

The front pads are £115.51 the rear are £64.72
For the lot including fitting would be £245.80

Yours has the wear indicator on hence the price"

Wince .....
86 R80RS Mono
03 R1100S BoxerCup Replika
07 K1200GT SE
14 F800GS
and an X3 3.0SD for suit days
Old 09-16-2010, 05:10 PM
2013 Member of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by slparry
"Hi Steve

The front pads are £115.51 the rear are £64.72
For the lot including fitting would be £245.80

Yours has the wear indicator on hence the price"

Wince .....

Hence the reason why I did some detective work to find quality aftermarket replacement pads that work in the GT, and also to post my findings here so that others were not having to take out a 2nd mortgage to pay for a new set of pads!

Old 09-16-2010, 07:33 PM
Getting up to speed

I have had SBS pads on the front brakes of my bike for the last year or so, 17000 kms. Can not feel any difference compared to the original pads, and they wear at approximately the same rate. My rotors were changed at almost the same time as the pads (warped since the bike was new) and as far as I can remember rotor wear is the same.
But it is important to inspect pad wear by more than a visual inspection. Fact is that inner pads are very difficult to see and they tend to wear faster than the outer. After about 20000 kms mine had 2,2mm remaining pad thickness, while the outer had 4mm. Minimum is 1mm. Note that the wear sensor sits on a outer pad, one more reason to disconnect it! Uneven brake wear may be because the calipers are not radially mounted, a mechanic told me, I don't know.
Pads without wear sensor (like SBS pads) may be cross-mounted to minimize the effect of uneven wear. It is very easy to remove the pads for inspection, change or x-mount. One screw have to be removed, thats all, and the pads will come out of the calipers.
I bought mine at the BMW dealer in Oslo.
-09 BMW K1300GT
Old 09-16-2010, 07:56 PM
2013 Member of the Year

Polaris, this is really helpful information. This seems to verify SBS's claim that their sintered pads are relatively rotor-friendly.

I doubt that the front caliper mounting method influences the wear of the inside pads more than the outside ones. There are 2 identical pistons pushing on each pad, so the force is the same for each pad. Maybe for some reason, the inside pads heat up more, or possibly get more (abrasive) dirt?

On the rear, however, things are a little different. The rear caliper has 2 pistons on one side (the outside), and the caliper floats. The reaction force from the pistons acting on the outside pad causes the caliper to slide sideways and apply (hopefully) equal force to the opposite pads. I can see that it would be possible to have unequal wear with this situation (and indeed, as I recall, BMW makes their pads slightly thicker on one side as compared to the other, to compensate).

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'RFW' for this post:
Old 10-21-2010, 08:19 PM
WACKY RACER

Just placed an order to powersports for the SBS pads.
$31.20 each front and $31.20 rear. shipping:$10.43

Total $104.03. way cheaper than stock BMW parts.

The dealer told me during service they weren't worn out yet, but were close, and they would be happy to put on three sets during the service! ! !

i-bmw.com is worth every cent we pay to use this site. Oh, wait, - we don't pay. Maybe we should make a donation to support the site????

bert brumfield
Kernersville, NC
2007 K1200GT
2007 K1200R-SPORT
1998 K1200RS [TAXI]
MSF Instructor
RETIRED
Old 03-30-2011, 10:35 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Send a message via Yahoo to captstevens Send a message via Skype™ to captstevens

I bought some replacement pads from Sierra BMW made in France, Corbone/Loraine they do not have the slot for the sensors and i believe they are not sintered material I also bought some EBC pads which do have the slots for the sensors but they are HH which are the sintered pads I will use them on the front only, they claim (EBC) that they will not cause undue wear on the rotors!!
2007 Moto-Guzzi Norge 1200, 2009 Harley FLTRI, 2008 BMW K1200GT/4!! 2012 R1200GS. And have just re-acquired my old 1975 R90S that I put a turbocharger on in 1978!!!!! Also a new acquisition just bought a 14' R1200RT-WC, addendum!! Traded my '75 R90s Turbo for a 2008 Ducati Multistrada 1100S: my friend the gm of HD of WV WANTED it for his personal collection, so what could I do????
OK,Ok, I need Profesional Help, I admit it!!!
Old 04-03-2011, 12:48 AM
2013 Member of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by captstevens
I bought some replacement pads from Sierra BMW made in France, Corbone/Loraine they do not have the slot for the sensors and i believe they are not sintered material I also bought some EBC pads which do have the slots for the sensors but they are HH which are the sintered pads I will use them on the front only, they claim (EBC) that they will not cause undue wear on the rotors!!
It is well known that the very high metal content of EBC "HH" pads DOES cause increased rotor wear. Also, many folks have noise problems (squealing under light brake application) with these pads.

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'RFW' for this post:
Old 04-03-2011, 07:29 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Arrow Re: Quality aftermarket K1200GT brake pads

Checking the SBS web page now the partnumbers are:
1200 GT -2007: Front 796 HS* and rear 506 LS
1200 GT 2008: Front 796 HS* and rear 671 LS
1300 GT and S 2009-: Front 796 HS* and rear 742 LS

* two sets are needed
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'noh' for this post:
Old 04-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by noh
Checking the SBS web page now the partnumbers are:
1200 GT -2007: Front 796 HS* and rear 506 LS
1200 GT 2008: Front 796 HS* and rear 671 LS
1300 GT and S 2009-: Front 796 HS* and rear 742 LS

* two sets are needed
I am confused. Why would there be three different part numbers for the rear pads on the 2007 K1200GT, the 2008 K1200GT, and the K1300GT? I suspect that Noh went to the website, and entered different values for Type (Motorcycle), Make (BMW), CCM (either 1200 or 1300), and Model, then posted the results here verbatim. Link: http://cat.sbs.dk/web_mc/sog.aspx?id=5

My screen displays the following:
* Motorcycle, BMW, 1200, K |GT With Integral ABS |2002 |2007 |
--> 796 HS* and 506 LS
* Motorcycle, BMW, 1200, K |GT With Integral ABS |2008 |2008 |
--> 796 HS* and 671 LS
* Motorcycle, BMW, 1300, K |GT (K125/e1/0217) |2009 |
--> 796 HS* and 742 LS

In my humble opinion, SBS and Noh are confused between the various KGT models. My guess is:
The 506 LS pad is designed for the 2002-2005 "Flying Brick" K1200GT (like a K1200RS).
The 671 LS is the correct one for our 2006-2008 "Slant 4" K1200GTs.
The 742 LS part may be correct for the 2009-2011 K1300GT. The part dimensions are the same, except that one of the pads is 2.5 mm thicker. Is this a change between the K1200GT and K1300GT?

Vendors are too busy to pay attention to the subtle details of the various KGT models. I often see my K1200GT listed as "2005-2008" even though there is no 2005 model. I often see flying bricks listed as "2002-2006".

Caveat emptor!
Veho tutus!
Old 04-03-2011, 12:29 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
I am confused. Why would there be three different part numbers for the rear pads on the 2007 K1200GT, the 2008 K1200GT, and the K1300GT? I suspect that Noh went to the website, and entered different values for Type (Motorcycle), Make (BMW), CCM (either 1200 or 1300), and Model, then posted the results here verbatim. Link: http://cat.sbs.dk/web_mc/sog.aspx?id=5

My screen displays the following:
* Motorcycle, BMW, 1200, K |GT With Integral ABS |2002 |2007 |
--> 796 HS* and 506 LS
* Motorcycle, BMW, 1200, K |GT With Integral ABS |2008 |2008 |
--> 796 HS* and 671 LS
* Motorcycle, BMW, 1300, K |GT (K125/e1/0217) |2009 |
--> 796 HS* and 742 LS......
That is exactly what I saw and what I tried to type. I can also se the ratio in having the same pads for the front for all of them. Why there are different pads for the rear on the 2008 and some further modification for 2009- I do not know. By the way I also noticed that the 2009- 1300 S takes the same pads as the 1300 GT.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:31 PM
Getting up to speed

Ok, just had my brake pad wear light go off on my '08 GT. Warranty expired yesterday! Any experience with warranty claims so close to the expiration date? I will take a close look at the wires tonight. My pads are still in good condition.

Is it obvious how to remove the sensors? I see wires coming from both front calipers. Is the right side the only one with the sensor?
Old 04-28-2011, 03:57 PM
Getting up to speed

Got it figured out. Pretty easy.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:08 PM
2013 Member of the Year

To recap, if you want to deactivate the wear sensors that have been worn through, and hence give an alarm, simply remove the sensor from the brake pad, cut it off and solder two wires together. Then insulate the soldered connection with a blob of RTV and tie the wires out of the way.

Note that on early K1200GTs (2005 to 2006, I think) you will either need to go to the dealer to get the alarm cleared, or use a GS-911 to clear the alarm.

Later GTs (2007 and 2008, as I recall) automatically clear brake wear alarm when you apply the brakes 2 or 3 times at a speed of 50km/hr (30MPH) or higher. I have no idea why this silly level of complexity is needed for such a routine task!

Old 05-31-2011, 09:55 AM
Site Contributor

Does anyone have a part number and source for the brake wear sensor connectors? I ordered the new pads that Bob recommended (with no sensor slots), but my sensors are still good.

It would be nice to have short, dedicated sensor "replacements" with a single loop of wire and leave the still-good sensors at home.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:50 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Smile Re: Quality aftermarket K1200GT brake pads

Ferodo make the "Premier" range disc pads for the K1200 GT (slanted) and they are made in USA.

Can not get SBS with provision for sensors in South Africa - not yet listed in SBS catalogue.

The R1200 RS uses the same pads albeit without sensors on the first generation.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:47 PM
2013 Member of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallieD
Can not get SBS with provision for sensors in South Africa - not yet listed in SBS catalogue.
NO aftermarket pad manufacturer sells pads for the GT with wear sensors.

Since the wear sensors are bloody useless (and unreliable too), just remove them and tie them out of the way. If the wear sensor is already worn through (and causing a pad warning), just solder the 2 wires together, insulate the connection with a small blob of silicone and then tie them out of the way.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:08 AM
Site Contributor

Bump. I still wonder if anyone has a part number for the wire connector, so I can make my own plug-n-play sensor bypass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
Does anyone have a part number and source for the brake wear sensor connectors? I ordered the new pads that Bob recommended (with no sensor slots), but my sensors are still good.

It would be nice to have short, dedicated sensor "replacements" with a single loop of wire and leave the still-good sensors at home.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:48 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

FYI. I had my dealer look up the wear sensors last time I was in for rear pads. They tell me the sensors are not a seperate part number. They only come with new pads.

I have EBC HH pads on the front with EBC rotors. They have excellent breaking power but I dont like the feel. I am going to try the SBS pads.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:06 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Can someone confirm that for the 2007 GT, the 796HS for the front and the 506LS for the rear are the correct pads?

Thank you!
Old 06-23-2012, 09:07 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconfire
Can someone confirm that for the 2007 GT, the 796HS for the front and the 506LS for the rear are the correct pads?

Thank you!
No. You are INCORRECT.

The following are the correct part numbers for a 2007 BMW K1200GT:

Front: 796HS (x2)
Rear: 671LS

These are the brake pads currently installed on my 2007 K1200GT. I just checked my order confirmation email from PowersportSuperstore. They add "-PU" to their part numbers (e.g., 671LS-PU)

(We believe that the 506LS brake pad is for the older 2002-2005 "flying brick" K1200GT, which is very different from your 2007 "slant-4" K1200GT, but that is just a guess.)
Old 09-11-2012, 08:21 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Send a message via Yahoo to captstevens Send a message via Skype™ to captstevens

Bob finally got the Kgt back from the dealer last week (it went to the shop in may for abs inoperative problem!!!! $1600.00 later I'm back on the road again, but no longer have any confidence in this machine for long term viability!!! Plus the cost per mile of owning it has just gone several light years up into space!!!
woody
2007 Moto-Guzzi Norge 1200, 2009 Harley FLTRI, 2008 BMW K1200GT/4!! 2012 R1200GS. And have just re-acquired my old 1975 R90S that I put a turbocharger on in 1978!!!!! Also a new acquisition just bought a 14' R1200RT-WC, addendum!! Traded my '75 R90s Turbo for a 2008 Ducati Multistrada 1100S: my friend the gm of HD of WV WANTED it for his personal collection, so what could I do????
OK,Ok, I need Profesional Help, I admit it!!!
Old 09-11-2012, 08:51 PM
interacting

Yeah--that $1600 is a real kick in the butt--for me it was $1100, as BMW took some of the blame. Can't help but agree--durability on these machines is not what it was with the "flying brick". Maybe the 1600's will turn out to be better. So far they look good--except for the leaky water pump issue.*************************************MdMn**
Old 02-09-2013, 01:13 PM
Entering the on-ramp

If the, "SBS 742LS isdesigned for 2009-2011 K1300GT. The part dimensions are same as671LS, except one of the pads is 2.5 mm thicker."

Will they fit the 2006-2008 "Slant4" GT's? If so, it might help balance the inside wear issue.

Can anyone confirm this would work?
Old 06-29-2013, 04:07 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFW
Since the wear sensors are bloody useless (and unreliable too), just remove them and tie them out of the way. If the wear sensor is already worn through (and causing a pad warning), just solder the 2 wires together, insulate the connection with a small blob of silicone and then tie them out of the way.

My brake pad warning light was coming on intermittently so I decided to remove the sensors from front and back.

I didn't have to tie either of them back together, because they aren't even close to being worn through. The plastic doohitchy that BMW fitted on the end (the part that kind of snaps into the brake pad backing) hadn't even been touched yet.

So.....the question is.......why would my warning light come on if the loop hasn't been compromised?

Confused.
Current miles: 9,600+
Remus Hexacone Silencer
BMW small top box with pad (that likes to fly away on it's own) - for the lady

Other Toys:
1987 Buick Grand National
2007 Trailblazer SS
Old 06-29-2013, 05:59 PM
interacting

Good question. Mine did the same ting at 16K. I had the shop fix them under warranty, and now almost 60K later I have had no warning light from front. Rears were replaced and tied back at about 45K. Bottom line--the freakin' brake lining warning lights just don't work. Best to go back to the tried and true visual inspection system ASAP.**********MdMn*****
Old 06-29-2013, 08:33 PM
Getting up to speed

Well, I took it out for a spin and I must have one of the later 2007 units, because I was able to clear the warning light with three (3) pulls of the brake after going over 50 km/hr or 31.07 MPH. It had to be the FRONT brake though.....the back didn't work as I tried it first.

We'll see if it stays off, but the fully intact sensor wires are now zip tied up and out of the way......forever more out of sight and out of mind. I hate those things and the engineer who thought it was a good idea should be shot multiple times in the knee caps.

Now I just have to figure out either how to disable the TPMS and clear the warning light or fix the batteries in the damn sensors and there is nothing left for me to do on this bike for it to be perfect!
Current miles: 9,600+
Remus Hexacone Silencer
BMW small top box with pad (that likes to fly away on it's own) - for the lady

Other Toys:
1987 Buick Grand National
2007 Trailblazer SS
Old 07-04-2013, 12:34 AM
Banned Spammer

well i would you the best would be that you refer to sites.......
Old 07-04-2013, 10:02 AM
Supporting Vendor
Thanked 2,122 Times in 821 Posts

You can add Pirates Lair to the list of places you can now buy quality brake pads for our BMWs... Just last week we picked up the entire product line of CL Brake Pads. The French company offers over 8000 different brake pads for virtually evey bike on the market... I tested them on my K1200S for months before finally deeming them worthy and adding them to the menu.. Very impressive...

I have most of the late model BMW's we deal with on a daily basis listed here.. http://pirateslair.net/BrakepadsCL.htm If you don't see what you want.. Just pm me and I'll look it up for you.. Happy 4th everybody!!

Old 07-07-2013, 05:34 PM
Born to ride

Darn it, Pirate. I ordered a set from Beemer Boneyard the day before you posted.

This brings me to my question. I ordered a set of EBC pads they say are for the '07 K1200GT, and include a slot for the (useless) sensor. What came for the front was two packages FA335 and FA441HH, each with two pads. I haven't opened them but they look the same and I'm not sure what goes where. They're closed now but even with their input, I'd appreciate advice from the experts here.

"Fairness is about equality of opportunity, not equality of outcomes." -- Kellyanne Conway
"White Privilege" means that you, and others, will never wonder if you were successful because of Affirmative Action. -- Anon.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:52 AM
Site Contributor

Hello everyone.
Was away for a little time and my front brake pads need to be changed.
I looked in the forum list to find the procedure, but hell, there are thousands of threads
would anybody know by heart where to find how to change front pads on a 07 K1200GT?

Thanks.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:11 AM
Getting up to speed

Great information here guys. I'm close to needing pads myself so I will order them from Pirate and save myself a lot of DOUGH!

Thanks for all the research Bob (RFW).

08 BMW K1200GT
12 Yamaha FZ6R traded to upgrade
06 Suzuki GSXR 600 sold
03 Suzuki SV650 sold
02 Honda 919 totaled
Old 06-05-2014, 10:35 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
You can add Pirates Lair to the list of places you can now buy quality brake pads for our BMWs... Just last week we picked up the entire product line of CL Brake Pads. The French company offers over 8000 different brake pads for virtually evey bike on the market... I tested them on my K1200S for months before finally deeming them worthy and adding them to the menu.. Very impressive...

I have most of the late model BMW's we deal with on a daily basis listed here.. http://pirateslair.net/BrakepadsCL.htm If you don't see what you want.. Just pm me and I'll look it up for you.. Happy 4th everybody!!

Got my CL pads in from Pirate's Lair this week. Super easy install (chimp easy as the Captain said) and I'm loving them!

I still have a rotor issue, I believe - but the pads are a serious upgrade from the stock pads.

08 BMW K1200GT
12 Yamaha FZ6R traded to upgrade
06 Suzuki GSXR 600 sold
03 Suzuki SV650 sold
02 Honda 919 totaled